Yes, Sailfish is now running Android 8.1 runtime in xperia xa2 (and some other) devices, in beta I think. AFAIK they are heading for the Russian and Chinese market. As someone said there is an interest there for non Google devices.

Posted via CB10

China has a couple of their own, non Google OS in the wings... not sure if the Sailfish China Consortiun has really gotten anywhere with their plans for smartphones, automotive, tv and IOT plans...

Russia.... Russian Rostelecom has purchased 75% of the Open Mobile Platform (OMP) that Sailfish was developed from. Going forward it will be called Aurora OS... but will have ZERO support for Android Apps.

How that affects the future of the Jolla Company and consumer Sailfish development.... who knows. Are they still partners in OS development?

Most interesting thing is how much Russia is willing to pay to not use an US Operating System. 8 Million users by 2021, at an expected cost of RUB 160.2 Billion.... almost $300 USD per phone.
    02-25-19 09:04 AM
    People here are wanting a OS...

...and I'm just here waiting for the Pie update so we can get rid of this atrocious red status bar in power saving mode
    skrble likes this.
    02-25-19 10:25 AM
    China has a couple of their own, non Google OS in the wings... not sure if the Sailfish China Consortiun has really gotten anywhere with their plans for smartphones, automotive, tv and IOT plans...

Russia.... Russian Rostelecom has purchased 75% of the Open Mobile Platform (OMP) that Sailfish was developed from. Going forward it will be called Aurora OS... but will have ZERO support for Android Apps.

How that affects the future of the Jolla Company and consumer Sailfish development.... who knows. Are they still partners in OS development?

Most interesting thing is how much Russia is willing to pay to not use an US Operating System. 8 Million users by 2021, at an expected cost of RUB 160.2 Billion.... almost $300 USD per phone.
    Interesting, thanks for the insight!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-19 11:57 AM
    Kai OS is good
    But unfortunately it doesn't support Japanese input.
    Because of this I cant use Kaios for daily.
    How good if this issue will be solved.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-19 02:19 AM
    I wonder if we are looking at this from the wrong angle.... New OS (not iterations of existing OS) have normally arisen from a change in hardware and user interaction, think zx spectrum, PC, mobile phone, smart phone, tablet. I suspect the next new OS will be for what follows smart phones and tablets, maybe that's what samsung/microsoft are up to with the foldable screen, but I don't think we are quite there yet.
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-20-19 10:44 AM
    KaiOS is good.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-19 11:17 AM
    So.. like I said.. 4 months ago.. what do you think about BB10 operating system revival for Huawei devices?

P.S. hate to say I told you so
    05-23-19 09:23 PM
    LOL....Must be board out of your mind....
    Not so board now.. right?

Saturday night and 6 beers later...
    Noo.. It just was my sixth sense as usual.. Hate to say I told you so again.. and how about.. now?
    05-23-19 09:32 PM
    So.. like I said.. 4 months ago.. what do you think about BB10 operating system revival for Huawei devices?

P.S. hate to say I told you so
    Why would Huawei revive a dead OS when they're almost done developing their own?
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/23/huaw...this-year.html
    05-23-19 10:22 PM
    Why would Huawei revive a dead OS when they're almost done developing their own?
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/23/huaw...this-year.html
    As far as I can tell, 'almost done developing their own' depends on who you ask.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoff.../#20c2fd7c3b11

https://www.xda-developers.com/huawe...ive-fall-2019/

But yeah, them chasing after BB10 is a bit out there no matter how you slice it.
    05-23-19 10:28 PM
    08-09-19 08:20 AM
    They use a microkernel like QNX and Google's new Fuchsia.... but they say their performance is five times that of Fuchsia and three times that of QNX.

For now their focus is IoT devices... smart displays, speakers, wearables an in-car devices. Phone, Tablet and PC probable would only happen if they are forced to give up Windows and Android.
    08-09-19 10:11 AM
62 123