Update1:
    So.. like I said.. 4 months ago.. what do you think about BB10 operating system revival for Huawei devices?

P.S. hate to say I told you so

Original:

Do you remember then 10 years ago for a 10 years BBos and Symbian was the best and no one really was waiting and nobody needed iOS and Android, but they came and they killed those two little bastards?

10 years past again, it's time now for the new OS to kill iOS and Android? Who's going to accept this challenge?

Since UI become similar.. Perhaps BB10 is ready for revival?
    Last edited by iHadLastBB; 05-23-19 at 09:25 PM.
    02-02-19 07:17 PM
    LOL....Must be board out of your mind....
    02-02-19 07:39 PM
    Saturday night and 6 beers later...
    DrBoomBotz and hplovecraft like this.
    02-02-19 07:58 PM
    Do you remember then 10 years ago for a 10 years BBos and Symbian was the best and no one really was waiting and nobody needed iOS and Android, but they came and they killed those two little bastards?

10 years past again, it's time now for the new OS to kill iOS and Android? Who's going to accept this challenge?

Ecosystems are now too entrenched.
    02-02-19 08:22 PM
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...chsia-os-news/

There are things in the works, but no one truly knows how it will evolve. And part of the problem is, the two current leaders are far more widespread than Symbian and BBOS ever were at the heights of their reign. There is a massive difference in apps and support at a level the others probably never even dreamed of, and certainly weren't prepared for.
    02-02-19 09:34 PM

As much as I would like that to happen, there's no way bro... ios and android are not going anywhere.
    02-03-19 03:31 AM
    Windows and MacOS have been around far longer, and they aren't remotely close to being disrupted. And it's for the same reason: the ecosystem is too strong.

At the end of the day, the purpose of an OS is to run applications that allows each owner to run a set of tasks that are important to that person, which will be different than the next person, and the next, and the next. Without an app ecosystem that is both wide and deep, you can't disrupt the incumbents, and you can't grow an ecosystem without tons of users. It's a Catch-22.
    02-03-19 12:42 PM
    I was thinking of how cassette tapes won the battle over 8-track. But then we all know how it went for the triumphant cassette. You never know.
    02-03-19 02:38 PM
    Music reproduction has long had multiple formats available simultaneously. But in the computing world, there have virtually always been 2 primary OSs and a few tiny also-rans. True on the desktop and true in mobile.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-04-19 12:14 AM
    Music reproduction has long had multiple formats available simultaneously. But in the computing world, there have virtually always been 2 primary OSs and a few tiny also-rans. True on the desktop and true in mobile.
    I should add, GNU/Linux, Unix before then, runs on a multitude of servers around the world. That is a super huge marketshare. It's also seeming to compete with apple's offerings on desk/laptops. Just thought I would include it.

Microsoft is using linux on their enterprise offerings, I forgot what it was called. They did make a significant donation to the linux kernel developers too. I say, by desktop platform competition, it's windows, macOS (BSD, unix) and GNU/Linux being third, respectively.

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    02-04-19 03:57 AM
    I should add, GNU/Linux, Unix before then, runs on a multitude of servers around the world. That is a super huge marketshare. It's also seeming to compete with apple's offerings on desk/laptops. Just thought I would include it.

Microsoft is using linux on their enterprise offerings, I forgot what it was called. They did make a significant donation to the linux kernel developers too. I say, by desktop platform competition, it's windows, macOS (BSD, unix) and GNU/Linux being third, respectively.

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    True, Linux exists, but the place it occupies in the market has no equivalent in the mobile market. you can't have a server mobile OS because running a server on a mobile device makes no sense.

Linux is also really popular with software developers due to powerful CLI tools and such. But again, programming (actually writing code) on a smartphone makes little sense.

So, yes, Linux is a 3rd desktop os, but its niche is not something that can be taken advantage of in the mobile space.
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-04-19 08:08 AM
    And Linux's share as a DESKTOP OS is tiny, though it's share as a SERVER OS is huge. Linux wouldn't even exist as a desktop OS if it wasn't for all of the work and money poured into it for use as a server OS, which the desktop OS benefits from.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-04-19 01:16 PM
    I think because Android has it's roots in Linux.... might be why Google is moving more towards Fuchsia.

At this point, not sure there will be a "next" OS. Might be what Assistant does your house are car use.
    02-04-19 01:46 PM
    There are supposedly a couple of linux phones on the way this year (from Pine64 and Librem) as well as a kind of phone-sized tablet from Necuno (which looks like a phone, is marketed as a phone, but isn't one since it lacks a cellular radio). They're not going to unseat any entrenched handset makers, but may offer alternatives for certain small groups of users.
    02-04-19 03:53 PM
    BB should invest in Android killer : Fuchsia /s
    02-04-19 04:09 PM
    BB should invest in Android killer : Fuchsia /s
    Who is building Fuchia OS? One and the same - still Google
    02-04-19 04:14 PM
    Who is building Fuchia OS? One and the same - still Google
    Guess my sarcasm tag wasn't big enough.
    02-05-19 01:09 PM
    Guess my sarcasm tag wasn't big enough.
    Pretty sure CrackBerry has a sarcasm filter....
    02-05-19 02:08 PM
    Pretty sure CrackBerry has a sarcasm filter....
    I meant slash like /rant or /thread or /sarcasm of which /s is the short version , not a HTML end tag.
    02-05-19 03:53 PM
    True, Linux exists, but the place it occupies in the market has no equivalent in the mobile market. you can't have a server mobile OS because running a server on a mobile device makes no sense.

Linux is also really popular with software developers due to powerful CLI tools and such. But again, programming (actually writing code) on a smartphone makes little sense.

So, yes, Linux is a 3rd desktop os, but its niche is not something that can be taken advantage of in the mobile space.
    Since android uses the Linux kernel, it is Linux in the mobile space. So basically, BSD (apple, unix), Linux. Only no route access by default, and google's repository.

Add others which are compatible (apk) and you're complete, as long as it doesn't conflict with updates. F-Droid is conflict-free. Sure wish they had a complete Foss fork of the core phone application/functionality, free of manufacturer interference, that could be used on any device with a cellular radio, to place and receive phone calls, send text/mms messages.

And Linux's share as a DESKTOP OS is tiny, though it's share as a SERVER OS is huge. Linux wouldn't even exist as a desktop OS if it wasn't for all of the work and money poured into it for use as a server OS, which the desktop OS benefits from.
    It's in third place from apple's marketshare from what I noticed, and it's across so many distributions (corporate/enterprise, open source). If you lump apple into it, it's really windows, unix and GNULinux respectively.

Typed on my BlackBerry passport, via freedom mobile DC-HSPA+/LTE
    02-06-19 11:19 AM
    The question is what would this next OS offer?

Going back to the music example, CDs were cheaper to manufacture and provided certain advantages to users as compared to cassettes and vinyl. So you can see why music labels supported them and why consumers went out to buy new players. Then downloadable content replaced CD's because that's even cheaper distribution for content owners and much more convenience to users.

So what will this new mobile OS do that will cause content providers (app developers, etc.) to switch over and what will it do for manufacturers and users to cause them to switch over?

If someone can make an OS that has clear advantages for users, device manufacturers, and content owners, then it *might* have a chance. If it doesn't provide clear advantages to all of these groups then it as no chance and people would (rationally) choose the status quo (see the BB10 story)
    02-06-19 12:51 PM
    Nobody is creating a new OS for mobile except Google Fuscia when that happens...
    02-06-19 12:57 PM
    Nobody is creating a new OS for mobile except Google Fuscia when that happens...
    There are other tiny players, but I agree no significant new OS unless it comes from:

1.) Apple or Google, because they have the power to deprecate their old OS and migrate people to the new. But even their power to do this has limits and real risks to each of them. So they will tread very carefully here. It's easier for Apple since they don't have to coordinate with other manufacturers, and they have experience in migrating developers from one OS to another.

2.) China - The Chinese govt could put more weight behind a Chinese owned OS if they wanted to.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-06-19 at 06:15 PM.
    02-06-19 04:36 PM
    There are other tiny players, but I agree no significant new OS unless it comes from:

1.) Apple or Google, because they have the power to deprecate their old OS and migrate people to the new. But even their power to do this has limits and real risks to each of them. So they will tread very carefully here. It's easier for Apple since they don't have to coordinate with other manufacturers, and they have experience in migrating developers from one OS to another.

2.) China - The Chinese govt could put more weight behind a Chinese owned OS if they wanted to.
    Governmental forces... that might come into play. China and Russia (and I expect many others) don't like these American controlled operating systems. Huawei has a new OS under development... But for something new to be usable, it will need to be able to run Android Apps. Google has made that more and more difficult. But China is a big enough market and enough control to force the issue... there.
    02-07-19 08:51 AM

Google is definitely developing an Android successor, which will almost certainly run Android apps but which will also target the Chrome OS market.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-07-19 08:57 AM
62 123