I made a similar post about a new OS and I think Android and IOS have cemented themselves as the dominant players in a saturated market.

I would also love to see a new OS come on the market, but I don’t think anyone is going to risk the capital and resources required to make it happen. The market has changed dramatically since the early days. Just my two cents.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-07-19 03:36 PM
    Do you remember then 10 years ago for a 10 years BBos and Symbian was the best and no one really was waiting and nobody needed iOS and Android, but they came and they killed those two little bastards?

10 years past again, it's time now for the new OS to kill iOS and Android? Who's going to accept this challenge?

Since UI become similar.. Perhaps BB10 is ready for revival?
    BlackBerry should make an OS based off of a RTOS called QNX. They perhaps they can name this amazing piece of coding "BBX"

It will be a huge success and sell thousands of units.
    02-07-19 06:53 PM
    BlackBerry should make an OS based off of a RTOS called QNX. They perhaps they can name this amazing piece of coding "BBX"

It will be a huge success and sell thousands of units.
    I'm probably missing the humour that was intended in the post, but here's the issue - "huge success" and "sell THOUSANDS of units".

Unfortunately, to support the cost of developing a new OS, you would need many more than THOUSANDS of sales!
    02-08-19 11:47 AM
    If there is another consumer OS it will have to be tied to a wider ecosystem. Maybe Amazon could do it if they find a better input system than touch. Perhaps in the bowels of Seattle some are researching neural interfaces and it will spring out in 5-10 years: Alexa Brain.
    02-08-19 12:15 PM
    I'm probably missing the humour that was intended in the post, but here's the issue - "huge success" and "sell THOUSANDS of units".

Unfortunately, to support the cost of developing a new OS, you would need many more than THOUSANDS of sales!
    The humor is in the first paragraph - which is exactly what RIM said they would do back in October of 2011 in their "BBX" announcement.

Two months later, they had to rename it BB10.

The second paragraph was merely an exaggeration of the circumstance.
    cribble2k likes this.
    02-08-19 12:18 PM
    The humor is in the first paragraph - which is exactly what RIM said they would do back in October of 2011 in their "BBX" announcement.

Two months later, they had to rename it BB10.

The second paragraph was merely an exaggeration of the circumstance.
    Everything in the Great White North frozen tundra is moving slower right now. Eventually @glwerry will get the full magnitude of the statement.

If @glwerry would just winter in Florida, things would go smoother.... LOL
    02-08-19 02:27 PM
    Maybe Amazon could do it if they find a better input system than touch.
    Here's a better one than touch, and it's been tried and true: Physical buttons
    02-08-19 03:23 PM
    Mic Drop!
    02-08-19 03:54 PM
    meh, thats old-school, lets go Borg.
    02-08-19 04:08 PM
    Everything in the Great White North frozen tundra is moving slower right now. Eventually @glwerry will get the full magnitude of the statement.

If @glwerry would just winter in Florida, things would go smoother.... LOL
    My Lovely Bride would happily spend the winter in Florida. Especially if y'all were having a "cold snap", as we could wander about in our shorts mocking 'Mericans who are hiding from the cold.

Unfortunately, I'm still working for a living ...
    dilijasi likes this.
    02-11-19 03:41 PM
    If there is another consumer OS it will have to be tied to a wider ecosystem. Maybe Amazon could do it if they find a better input system than touch. Perhaps in the bowels of Seattle some are researching neural interfaces and it will spring out in 5-10 years: Alexa Brain.
    Not really "new", but KaiOS is growing much faster than I would have taught. They took a smartphone OS, and converted it into a feature phone OS. But it also runs a number of "standard" smartphone apps... and the list is growing.

Reality is that in 2017... 600 million "non-smartphones" were sold, so there is a good sized market there. Last I heard there were over 40 million KaiOS devices sold worldwide.

KaiOS blurs the lines between Smart and Feature phones...
    02-18-19 08:50 AM
    Do analysts even make those smartphone OS market share pie charts anymore? Is anything other than Android or iOS even 1%?
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-18-19 12:55 PM
    Do analysts even make those smartphone OS market share pie charts anymore? Is anything other than Android or iOS even 1%?
    Per IDC... the others category is at 0.0%, so below their rounding variance. But there is still a reason to tack how iOS and Android are doing.

But IDC tracks sales and not active devices... Statcounter "tries" to do active devcies, but results are questioned by many. It does have KaiOS at 1.1%, BlackBerry (BBOS or BB10) don't even rate anymore.
    dilijasi likes this.
    02-19-19 11:10 AM
    for those interested in the history/perspectives of alternate smartphone OS, an early engineer for Firefox OS (Mozilla) gives his thoughts on the challenges and choices Firefox OS as an alternate OS made, issues that have been discussed in many threads in CB. One tidbit: Qualcomm was unwilling to license their chips unless Firefox OS had a OEM/Carrier partner.

https://medium.com/@bfrancis/the-sto...s-cb5bf796e8fb
    02-20-19 08:38 PM
    for those interested in the history/perspectives of alternate smartphone OS, an early engineer for Firefox OS (Mozilla) gives his thoughts on the challenges and choices Firefox OS as an alternate OS made, issues that have been discussed in many threads in CB. One tidbit: Qualcomm was unwilling to license their chips unless Firefox OS had a OEM/Carrier partner.

Interesting read... he's views are a little slated at times.

But "the team lost sight of our original goals and somehow defaulted to trying to become the third smartphone platform alongside Android and iOS, with market share as the only metric of success. " does fit with how KaiOS has taken their work and turn it into a success. Not by trying to be a smartphone competitor right off, but by filling a niche - Feature Phone, with some smartphone capabilities.

Wish there were more BB10 developers or engineers offering up their story...
    02-21-19 08:19 AM
    Since Google kills as many apps and ideas as it creates I would not hold my breath on fuchsia. Launching it if they do may seem significant but getting it off the ground and continuing to reach the hight of Android and iOS may be a problem unless they find a gentle way to force everyone and Dev's over.
    I'm not holding my breath
    02-21-19 08:54 AM

Good read.

@Dunt Dunt Dunt agreed on the apparent slant of the narrative. I also think it's fair criticism to say that he is a little short on the details of his alternate vision.
    02-21-19 09:05 AM
    Since Google kills as many apps and ideas as it creates I would not hold my breath on fuchsia. Launching it if they do may seem significant but getting it off the ground and continuing to reach the hight of Android and iOS may be a problem unless they find a gentle way to force everyone and Dev's over.
    I'm not holding my breath
    Gentle is what they are doing... unlike BlackBerry's reinventing of the wheel and starting all over with BB10. Google is building Fuchsia to start out compatible with today's Android ecosystem (apps) and even today's hardware. Some believe the Pixel 3 might in a few year run a completed Fuchsia (it can load the Zircon kernel).

That article did show the positive power of competition... When Firefox started to focus on the low end, is when Google adjusted Android to work on lower end hardware (Android GO today). Really wish that either BlackBerry or Microsoft had carved out a strong 3rd position... for consumers sake.

For consumers sake... I hope Apple keeps their marketshare. As I think Fuchsia is more about closing the door on the "open" Android (that allows others like Tizen, Sailfish and BB10 to exist) and moving to a more closed system.
    02-21-19 09:09 AM
    Gentle is what they are doing... unlike BlackBerry's reinventing of the wheel and starting all over with BB10. Google is building Fuchsia to start out compatible with today's Android ecosystem (apps) and even today's hardware. Some believe the Pixel 3 might in a few year run a completed Fuchsia (it can load the Zircon kernel).

That article did show the positive power of competition... When Firefox started to focus on the low end, is when Google adjusted Android to work on lower end hardware (Android GO today). Really wish that either BlackBerry or Microsoft had carved out a strong 3rd position... for consumers sake.

For consumers sake... I hope Apple keeps their marketshare. As I think Fuchsia is more about closing the door on the "open" Android (that allows others like Tizen, Sailfish and BB10 to exist) and moving to a more closed system.
    Have to secure their foot hold. Makes sense I guess. I wonder if they will keep Android available as open source to keep a foot in that space, keeping their thumb on any upcoming OS's like Saltfish or other.
    02-21-19 09:32 AM
    Have to secure their foot hold. Makes sense I guess. I wonder if they will keep Android available as open source to keep a foot in that space, keeping their thumb on any upcoming OS's like Saltfish or other.
    LineageOS, Oxygen.... lot's of folks rely on Google's work on Android. Huawei is working on their own OS that is suppose to be an Android "killer"... my guess is it will be very compatible with today's Android Apps. (But Huawei is also testing Fuchsia on some devices too)

By supporting Android, Google is supporting the competition. But no I don't think they'll kill off Android overnight.
    02-21-19 10:15 AM
    LineageOS, Oxygen.... lot's of folks rely on Google's work on Android. Huawei is working on their own OS that is suppose to be an Android "killer"... my guess is it will be very compatible with today's Android Apps. (But Huawei is also testing Fuchsia on some devices too)

By supporting Android, Google is supporting the competition. But no I don't think they'll kill off Android overnight.
    Isn't Saltfish drastically different than Oxygen in terms of defining a separate OS?
    02-21-19 10:58 AM
    Isn't Saltfish drastically different than Oxygen in terms of defining a separate OS?
    Both are built on the Linux Kernel, so they are "related".

Oxygen is built directly from "copying" most of open source Android and making modifications.

Sailfish... was built from the ground up utilizing a lot of existing open source Linux code and new code. But most the compatibility comes from an Android runtime (like BB10 used) - they call it an Android Layer. As far as I now... it's hasn't been updated past 4.4 - but promises were that 8.1 was suppose to come late last year (maybe it did?).

Google is moving to a none Linux micro-kernel with Fuchsia. Lot of talk about how this will benefit performance, having a "real-time" kernel running everything. Stuff we all heard almost a decade ago now... I expect it too will utilize and Android Layer for compatibility. But with today's hardware and Google's own software expertise... it will be seamless.

Like BlackBerry I expect the "plan" is to use the runtime for a while... but to get developers to focus on native apps going forward. They just release a new developer tool Flutter (for Android and iOS, but it will output Fuchsia native apps too. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...h-flutter-1-0/

By the time Fuchsia goes Prime Time... the "runtime" might not even be all that used.
    02-21-19 11:49 AM
    Fuchsia will probably debut in an IoT device and then move to Chromebook where using Android apps with a runtime already exists, from a user perspective it should be seamless there. It will also give devs time to generate Fuchsia versions of their apps with Butterfly; the Playstore will host the Fuchsia version along with Android version and push it out to the correct device just like it does if devs have separate versions for very old Android OS level: the app name will remain the same for all. Then iron out any bugs and go all in on a future Fuchsia Pixel phone device.
    02-21-19 02:31 PM
    Both are built on the Linux Kernel, so they are "related".

Oxygen is built directly from "copying" most of open source Android and making modifications.

Sailfish... was built from the ground up utilizing a lot of existing open source Linux code and new code. But most the compatibility comes from an Android runtime (like BB10 used) - they call it an Android Layer. As far as I now... it's hasn't been updated past 4.4 - but promises were that 8.1 was suppose to come late last year (maybe it did?).

Google is moving to a none Linux micro-kernel with Fuchsia. Lot of talk about how this will benefit performance, having a "real-time" kernel running everything. Stuff we all heard almost a decade ago now... I expect it too will utilize and Android Layer for compatibility. But with today's hardware and Google's own software expertise... it will be seamless.

Like BlackBerry I expect the "plan" is to use the runtime for a while... but to get developers to focus on native apps going forward. They just release a new developer tool Flutter (for Android and iOS, but it will output Fuchsia native apps too. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...h-flutter-1-0/

By the time Fuchsia goes Prime Time... the "runtime" might not even be all that used.
    Yes, Sailfish is now running Android 8.1 runtime in xperia xa2 (and some other) devices, in beta I think. AFAIK they are heading for the Russian and Chinese market. As someone said there is an interest there for non Google devices.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-22-19 12:25 AM
    Google is definitely developing an Android successor, which will almost certainly run Android apps but which will also target the Chrome OS market.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Yep, Google are working on Fuchsia OS
    02-23-19 06:21 AM
62 123