I found an interesting article regarding marketing and brand loyalty being likened to human relationships ... good and bad.

LINK : "This is why you fall in love with brands."

We all know how poorly RIM markets their products!

Those that are in a long term relationship with RIM will support BB10. For others that have had a bad past relationship with BB it may be to late.

For those newly-weds and those in a committed relationship with iOS/Android it may be too late. Will BB10 be able to get them to cheat on their existing relationship? Might have to show some keyboard!
    Last edited by vdubwhat; 04-14-12 at 08:46 AM.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-14-12 08:36 AM
    I don't know. With the divorce rate what it is and the cheating that goes on and children being born out of the marriage I would say yes.
    phonejunky likes this.
    04-14-12 08:46 AM
    I don't think bb10 will bring enough people back to make a difference. I'm sure some will come back, but most will stay where they are at.

1. RIM needs to change their public image. They don't seem to be doing anything about it, or they can't do anything about it.

2. They need ALL the apps that are available on the other platforms. And again, this is something that just isn't happening, for whatever reason.
    04-14-12 09:06 AM
    It's not just marketing. RIM has long stated that their first two priorities for new devices is to make the carriers happy, and make CIO's happy. This is now backfiring horribly in the US. Carriers here have stop pushing Blackberry at all, and CIO's have caved to BYOD. Why are people wanting to BYOD and spend their own money for corporate use? Because Apple and Android have focused to make the end user the priority. Until RIM makes the end user the number one priority when building and designing a device, all of the marketing in the world won't get end users to buy them.
    04-14-12 09:25 AM
    It's not just marketing. RIM has long stated that their first two priorities for new devices is to make the carriers happy, and make CIO's happy. This is now backfiring horribly in the US. Carriers here have stop pushing Blackberry at all, and CIO's have caved to BYOD. Why are people wanting to BYOD and spend their own money for corporate use? Because Apple and Android have focused to make the end user the priority. Until RIM makes the end user the number one priority when building and designing a device, all of the marketing in the world won't get end users to buy them.
    VERY well said.
    04-14-12 09:35 AM
    I disagree. Marketing is the whole point.

You can have the greatest product in the world but if no one knows about it will never sell.

When I mention I have a Playbook I have had people ask me what is a Playbook? They respond "I didn't know Blackberry makes an iPad". Don't even get me started on the fact virtually no one knows who RIM is ... they do know who Blackberry is and all their bad press.

People succumb to the barrage of marketing and come to carriers/stores looking for the cool sexy device "as seen on TV". BB needs people with long term relationships to come in and ask for BB10 and spread the word. I personally have convinced people to buy 10+ Playbooks. If people come to stores demanding BB10 the stores will notice and that has to be driven from the bottom up ... consumer driven.

As evidence of the effect of bad press (negative marketing) vs. the prevailing fanaticism of Apple;
    When I admitted to my co-workers that I own a PB I was told that I should have bought an iPad and BB is crap. This from a group of which about 25% own androids, 50% own feature phones and 25% own no cell phone at all.
    Spencerdl, Stewartj1 and Morty2264 like this.
    04-14-12 10:21 AM
    Besides bringing in new customers, RIM needs to ensure they maintain the things they do best with the BB10 devices to keep the "fanbase" they already have.

I'm horribly worried they will try to compete with devices that are exclusively touchscreen, leaving behind the best keyboards in the game in an attempt to be more like the iPhone.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    04-14-12 11:38 PM
    You are lacking in understanding of both business and the ineffectuality of RIM products

You can have the greatest product in the world but if no one knows about it will never sell.

When I mention I have a Playbook I have had people ask me what is a Playbook? They respond "I didn't know Blackberry makes an iPad". Don't even get me started on the fact virtually no one knows who RIM is ... they do know who Blackberry is and all their bad press.

People succumb to the barrage of marketing and come to carriers/stores looking for the cool sexy device "as seen on TV". BB needs people with long term relationships to come in and ask for BB10 and spread the word. I personally have convinced people to buy 10+ Playbooks. If people come to stores demanding BB10 the stores will notice and that has to be driven from the bottom up ... consumer driven.

As evidence of the effect of bad press (negative marketing) vs. the prevailing fanaticism of Apple;
    When I admitted to my co-workers that I own a PB I was told that I should have bought an iPad and BB is crap. This from a group of which about 25% own androids, 50% own feature phones and 25% own no cell phone at all.
    04-15-12 04:47 AM
    Mystic205 ... If you quote me then you must be making statement regarding me.

You don't know me ... so keep your personal statements to yourself!

If RIM products are useless why do you hang on to your BOLD? Reality check time.
    04-15-12 08:39 AM

I agree you properly market darn near anything and people will buy. Great post.
    04-15-12 08:44 AM
    Marketing helps when you have a great product...If you market a crappy product you may get a few people to purchase; however a majority of your inventory will sit on the shelf and collect dust.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-15-12 08:52 AM
    You are lacking in understanding of both business and the ineffectuality of RIM products
    I agree with vdubwhat, it's about proper marketing, "you can have the best product in the world, but if know one knows about it, it makes no difference". Understanding business and effectiveness is knowing how to market a product(s). That goes both ways as well...."as seen on TV", some of that "junk" sells just because it was seen on TV. .....to the newbie....relax its just a discussion....this is what we do here on Crackberry
    04-15-12 08:59 AM
    RIM needs to give us exciting products and features. People want that, people come back for that

They changed to a new better OS. BB10 will be excellent.

This thing about relationships with brands has been with us for a long time. Many people stick with a brand until something 'better' comes along (Ex. BB10)
    04-15-12 10:14 AM
    Marketing helps when you have a great product...If you market a crappy product you may get a few people to purchase; however a majority of your inventory will sit on the shelf and collect dust.

EXACTLY.

It starts with a great product. If the product is not good, it won't sell even if the marketing came from heaven.

Of course it is easy to say it is brainwashing... more fun.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    vrs626 likes this.
    04-15-12 10:19 AM
    I dare to say most consumers don't know what they need and what they want. That's why many jump off and on of lines of products. It is significantly easier to manipulate those to the point where they buy into a product and - in these days - into an eco-system.

The marketing mill needs to keep going because every six to twelve months there is another decision to be made.

From a technical point of view Apple Inc. has the most limiting product line, yet Apple is very popular indeed. There's also not the 'typical' Apple consumer as it ranges from 8 to 80 years with all varieties of annual income and social status wit no geographical hotspots.
    04-15-12 01:21 PM
    I dare to say most consumers don't know what they need and what they want.

Or, possibly, their needs change over time or more frequently than yours.
    04-15-12 01:41 PM
    Or, possibly, their needs change over time or more frequently than yours.
    Never that. Do you see how often people here state how much consumers (read: users of the platforms) don't know what they want?
    04-15-12 01:45 PM

Having a superior product certainly helps, but there are plenty of subpar products that sell well because of excellent marketing/branding.
    04-15-12 03:24 PM

Marketing helps when you have a GOOD Product,

the iPod 1, was NOT a great product
    the iPhone 1-3S where not great products ( iPhone 4, and 4S I must concede are great products)

They all were GOOD products with GREAT advertising which builds hype, and changes what people want from a product, as advertising changes what people want, good products become pseudo Great

What Great advertising and a good product do is give you time to make good great,

if you have a crap product but great advertising, you'll sell some, but it wont keep you afloat unless you make the crap product good,

if you have a Great product, but no advertising, no one knows about it, and it never takes off,

RIM has a good product, it isn't great by today's standards, and crap advertising, if RIM didn't once have a great product, and a great brand, they would not be surviving with their current line up and advertising model. They need to switch the advertising model so when their next good product comes out, it gets a fair shot, I don't expect BB10 to be great, I expect it to be Better than good, but it will need evolution in both OS, and ecosystems
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-15-12 03:32 PM
    Marketing helps when you have a GOOD Product,

the iPod 1, was NOT a great product
    the iPhone 1-3S where not great products ( iPhone 4, and 4S I must concede are great products)

They all were GOOD products with GREAT advertising which builds hype, and changes what people want from a product, as advertising changes what people want, good products become pseudo Great

What Great advertising and a good product do is give you time to make good great,

if you have a crap product but great advertising, you'll sell some, but it wont keep you afloat unless you make the crap product good,

if you have a Great product, but no advertising, no one knows about it, and it never takes off,

RIM has a good product, it isn't great by today's standards, and crap advertising, if RIM didn't once have a great product, and a great brand, they would not be surviving with their current line up and advertising model. They need to switch the advertising model so when their next good product comes out, it gets a fair shot, I don't expect BB10 to be great, I expect it to be Better than good, but it will need evolution in both OS, and ecosystems
    Fair enough. The first gen iPhone was horrible IMO. Terrible battery life, program crashes, etc etc...I think RIMM is stuck between a rock and a hard place. How can they change their perception in the casual consumer market without alienating their core base? My gut feeling tells me that they're going to retreat back into the corporate sector...I fell in love with RIMM because their devices were unique...I feel like now they are trying to mimic/imitate instead of stand out.

04-15-12 04:12 PM
    Lol @ the first generation iphone being terrible. It changed the entire mobile phone/computer idustry. It will probably go down as the most important products of the last 50 years. I love blackberry and use a 9900 but you have to give credit where credit is due.
    04-15-12 05:04 PM
    Lol @ the first generation iphone being terrible. It changed the entire mobile phone/computer idustry. It will probably go down as the most important products of the last 50 years. I love blackberry and use a 9900 but you have to give credit where credit is due.

Did you use the first gen iPhone?
    YES it changed the industry but it was NOT a great product, it was a different new product with a great advertising budget.
    It built on the popularity of the iPod, and made consumers who would have never got a smartphone think, hey I could use that.

And it sold 5 Million or so units in it's first year.
    04-15-12 05:17 PM
    I should have clarified my statement..I meant as far as what I was looking for in a device. It was missing mms, no document editor, no copy n paste, lack of document storage, no custom ringtones.

04-15-12 05:18 PM
    Yes. Purchased on day 1. Was very happy with it until I upgraded to the 3G a year later (now that was a bad phone). The battery was decent (not having 3g helped). I remember hating that it didn't have mms.. But was overall blown away. Compared to today's phones it's obviously lacking but compared to the phones of 2007 it was king of the hill imo. I think you could argue the original was the greatest iphone when compared to the phones available at each release.
    04-15-12 07:54 PM
    Did you use the first gen iPhone?
    YES it changed the industry but it was NOT a great product, it was a different new product with a great advertising budget.
    It built on the popularity of the iPod, and made consumers who would have never got a smartphone think, hey I could use that.

And it sold 5 Million or so units in it's first year.
    Also... I would disagree what the majority of early users were people that had never used a smart phone. I think a lot of the early adopters were tech nerds or young tech fans. The "sheep" crowd came along well after, maybe really gaining momentum after the 3GS, and of course now every mom and grandpa carrying ios devices...
    04-15-12 07:57 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD