I was wondering if anyone has had or uses one of these keyboards. They look very cool and would be great for composing a bunch of emails. I was thinking of getting one and using it with my BB and my handheld PC that I still use.

ThinkGeek :: Bluetooth Laser Virtual Keyboard
    02-09-08 12:39 PM
    The virtual keyboard is a very, very cool idea. I have no doubt this will catch on. possibly even built into phones, PDAs, or laptops instead of traditional keyboards.

This model, however, has many fatal flaws. The first hurdle is whether the driver will even work with your device. I have a Pearl, and it it loaded fine, but froze every time. I took it to the techs at MicroCenter, and probably spent 2 hours with it - no avail.

I tried it on a mac, on my laptop running Ubuntu, then my laptop running XP. It didn't work on ANY of these systems.

So I had the guys at Microcenter load the driver onto one of their machines, and came back the next day. The driver still didn't really work right, but enough to test the keyboard. It was clunky. A lot of false keystrokes. I hit the space bar once, and it entered 5 or 6 spaces. If you hover over a key, it might read it as a keystroke.

It had other problems as well. You have to set it on a flat surface, at the right angle, with the right amount of table space, etc. The keyboard was a bit small for me, so I tried to set the device on a platform - it didn't work.

This was a huge hassle, a huge waste of time. I say wait a few years. Give them time to perfect the technology.
    12-17-08 12:32 AM
    I owned one for a pocket PC. It paired great so I didn't have the driver errors.

As mentioned earlier it looks cool but beyond that it is not practical if you do not type just perfectly then it will pickup your excess movement as a key and that is frustrating.

Save your money.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 12:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD