Hey everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me with a recent problem I have been having.

I use Foursquare, google maps and facebook places a ton, and I have recently started to noticed that my gps has no clue where I am., For example, I check in on foursquare outside of my condo building and it says my phone thinks I'm too far away from my location. Or if I go on google maps when I am walking down the street, ill get a 'gps is temporarily unavailable' message.

Here is mu OS info:

BlackBerry 9700
    smartphone (3G, Wi-Fi)
    v5.0.0.938 (Bundle 1555, Platform 5.1.0.177)
    3G Bands 1,2,5,6
    Cryptographic Kernel v3.8.5.85
    Branding Version: 1.0.107.486H
    Micro Edition Configuration: CLDC-1.1
    Micro Edition Profile: MIDP-2.1
    Micro Edition JTWI Version: 1.0
    Micro Edition Media Version: 1.1
    Micro Edition PIM Version: 1.0

Any known issues with this OS? Or gps functionality on the 9700?

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 07:30 PM
    Options > advanced options > GPS.

Set location OFF, back out, save, go back in, set it to ON, save, back out, go back in again, then hit BB Menu > Refresh GPS.

It should display your latitude and longitude, if not, try a battery pull and check back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-10 05:13 AM
    Thanks for your help!

That seems to have done the trick... ill keep you posted on how it works over the next few days!
    11-11-10 12:23 PM
    Thanks for your help!

That seems to have done the trick... ill keep you posted on how it works over the next few days!
    You'll probably have to do it fairly regularly. If you have QuickLaunch or a similar program, I recommend you set a key sequence to refresh the GPS (normally you don't have to turn the GPS off and on as suggested, just a simple refresh will work).

I've often had to refresh my GPS to get foursquare to figure out where I am. It appears that the GPS often just doesn't want to keep track of where you are so when you try to check in somewhere with foursquare it thinks you're at the last location you used your GPS at.

Foursquare support commented about inaccurate location on the BlackBerry a couple months back and said they would have better accuracy soon. Whether they were referring to actual accuracy or just getting the GPS to respond at all, I don't know.

I don't think updating to OS 6.0 has made much, if any, difference to the GPS response, although with the GPS settings in "Options" on OS 6.0 you can now see how far off the accuracy is as it shows the closest street address to the retrieved coordinates.
    11-11-10 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD