Going through the forum, I notice individuals talk about wanting an all touch upgrade for their Z10's and Z30's.

Then I question whether or not the Leap isn't that upgrade or is there something about the Leap which doesn't qualify as that all touch upgrade? Will like to know.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 09:56 AM
    The leap is 5 in full of bezel. Spec wise not an upgrade it's basically same spec as z10 but bigger screen. Correct me if I'm wrong

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 10:32 AM
    For me it is..As my Z10 died I quickly decided on the Leap as a replacement..It looks like
    a Z, works like a Z10 ...has better display- larger, brighter. and non-removable battery
    which some like and some don't. I kinda liked the removable but its not a deal breaker..
    There was no learning curve to move to the Leap..just used BB Link to move all my stuff
    from the Z10 backup and everything works fine...It looks somewhat classier than than the
    than the 10..and the ultimate plus....the 3 grandsons love playing games on it...sooooo
    it gets my vote!!!
    12-06-15 10:34 AM
    Not an upgrade to either Z10 or Z30. More like a lateral move, slightly down from Z10 and certainly NOT an upgrade to the Z30, which has been the best all touch from BlackBerry ever!

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 10:37 AM
    You're going to have a hard time getting people to swallow the idea of an "upgrade" when the SoC inside is the same tired SnapDragon S4 from 2 years before - that was already an older SoC (not to mention a lower model in the S4 line) when it launched in the Z10. The "upgrades" were the screen and a few LTE radio bands, but it also lost features from the Z10/Z30. One thing that no one can dispute is that it wasn't anywhere close to a "flagship" phone - it was even marketed as an entry-level phone, which it is.
    12-06-15 10:40 AM
    bigger screen and battery
    but definitely not an upgrade
    12-07-15 02:28 PM
    No, it's specs look like they're from a 2011 flagship IMO.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 04:28 PM
    That would actually be a 2012 flagship.

The Leap is certainly no flagship and is priced accordingly. It has a bigger battery and screen than the z10 but less features and connectivity options.

Having said that, it does look like a solid device as long as it's limitations are taken into account with one's expectations. It is currently BlackBerry s only all touchscreen phone right now and its least expensive.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 06:07 PM
    You're going to have a hard time getting people to swallow the idea of an "upgrade" when the SoC inside is the same tired SnapDragon S4 from 2 years before - that was already an older SoC (not to mention a lower model in the S4 line) when it launched in the Z10. The "upgrades" were the screen and a few LTE radio bands, but it also lost features from the Z10/Z30. One thing that no one can dispute is that it wasn't anywhere close to a "flagship" phone - it was even marketed as an entry-level phone, which it is.
    While an entry level phone, it's definitely an upgrade from a Z10. I currently use both with my two lines and Leap has bigger screen and definitely battery life is far superior. I easily get 50% more battery life while using phone twice as much per day. Close enough to my worthless Z30 since no AT&T LTE bands in my part of Florida.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 06:17 PM
    While an entry level phone, it's definitely an upgrade from a Z10.
    For you and a small number of people, perhaps. To most people, it isn't.

The Z10 was already using nearly year-old tech (an S4 processor, and a low-end dual-core one at that) when it hit the market. Someone who has carried one for 2+ years couldn't be blamed for expecting an "upgrade" to have something other than the exact same, now 3-year-old SoC. People certainly wouldn't consider an iPhone or an Android phone to be an "upgrade" if it had the same SoC as the phone they'd been carrying for 2.5 years...
    MikeX74 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    12-07-15 07:15 PM
    While an entry level phone, it's definitely an upgrade from a Z10. I currently use both with my two lines and Leap has bigger screen and definitely battery life is far superior. I easily get 50% more battery life while using phone twice as much per day. Close enough to my worthless Z30 since no AT&T LTE bands in my part of Florida.

Posted via CB10
    enhanced z10 maybe, but not an upgrade in terms of a device upgrade
    12-08-15 02:31 PM
    I paid $175 for each of them. I'll take Leap over Z10 all day long. It's a better phone than Z10 just on battery life alone.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-15 08:13 PM
    Going through the forum, I notice individuals talk about wanting an all touch upgrade for their Z10's and Z30's.

Then I question whether or not the Leap isn't that upgrade or is there something about the Leap which doesn't qualify as that all touch upgrade? Will like to know.

Posted via CB10
    For sure it's an upgrade from the Z10 just for the better battery. For the Z30 not so much. My 2007 tacoma has a 4 litre engine. If I buy a new one it only has a 3.5 litre
    Are people suggesting the newer model is not an upgrade due to this. There is more to both life and phones than the speed of a processor.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-15 11:42 AM
    For sure it's an upgrade from the Z10 just for the better battery. For the Z30 not so much. My 2007 tacoma has a 4 litre engine. If I buy a new one it only has a 3.5 litre
    Are people suggesting the newer model is not an upgrade due to this. There is more to both life and phones than the speed of a processor.
    It's not about the size of the engine - it's the output and fuel economy.

If your 2007 Tacoma had 150 HP and got 18 MPG, and 7 years later all of the competitions' trucks in the Tacoma's price-range offered 250 HP and 26 MPG, but the 2015 Tacoma gave you the same 150 HP and 18 MPG (regardless of the size of the engine), you'd probably strongly consider buying another brand, even if they had improved the interior and navigation system in the new trucks (the competition's as well).

The Leap is more of a lateral move (better in some areas and worse in others) compared to the Z10, but a definite downgrade from a Z30. And it's a BIG downgrade compared to similarly-priced devices from the competition.
    12-11-15 01:57 PM
    It's not about the size of the engine - it's the output and fuel economy.

If your 2007 Tacoma had 150 HP and got 18 MPG, and 7 years later all of the competitions' trucks in the Tacoma's price-range offered 250 HP and 26 MPG, but the 2015 Tacoma gave you the same 150 HP and 18 MPG (regardless of the size of the engine), you'd probably strongly consider buying another brand, even if they had improved the interior and navigation system in the new trucks (the competition's as well).

The Leap is more of a lateral move (better in some areas and worse in others) compared to the Z10, but a definite downgrade from a Z30. And it's a BIG downgrade compared to similarly-priced devices from the competition.
    There is no way a North American company (located and registered in North America), with its overhead and fixed costs can compete on price with Chinese companies using a free operating system. You should know that Troy. Even so, at 200$us, the Leap is not a bad device.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-15 04:40 PM
    There is no way a North American company (located and registered in North America), with its overhead and fixed costs can compete on price with Chinese companies using a free operating system. You should know that Troy. Even so, at 200$us, the Leap is not a bad device.
    Of course I know that. Yet, that's precisely what BB chose to do.

Obviously hard-core BB10 fans won't even look elsewhere, so for them, the Leap only competes with the Z10 and Z30. But the vast majority of potential customers compare all relevant options, and as you've said, BB can't compete.
    12-11-15 07:21 PM
    The Leap is a very nice phone. BlackBerry was never going to win back 'spec-obsessed' Android users and regain its dominance with BlackBerry 10 - if people thought that it was, they were utterly deluded. It was supposed to be marketed to a particular niche, not cast before the masses like pearls cast before swine.
    12-11-15 07:38 PM
    Of course I know that. Yet, that's precisely what BB chose to do.

Obviously hard-core BB10 fans won't even look elsewhere, so for them, the Leap only competes with the Z10 and Z30. But the vast majority of potential customers compare all relevant options, and as you've said, BB can't compete.
    Soooo... you are saying that the sprint to the lowest common denominator is the way to go. Labour standards be darned, that BlackBerry should move everything to China so that they can compete on specs? I know some of their later offerings are made in China, but they had to because the rest of the industry has been doing so for years. I for one would rather sacrifice a few specs to support a North American company.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 08:59 AM
    Soooo... you are saying that the sprint to the lowest common denominator is the way to go. Labour standards be darned, that BlackBerry should move everything to China so that they can compete on specs? I know some of their later offerings are made in China, but they had to because the rest of the industry has been doing so for years. I for one would rather sacrifice a few specs to support a North American company.
    Where did I say that? I'm merely pointing out that BB didn't exactly choose a path to success.
    12-12-15 11:13 AM
    Where did I say that? I'm merely pointing out that BB didn't exactly choose a path to success.
    Through your repeated veiled passive aggressive Android promoting posts on a BlackBerry site.

We all know that BlackBerry is not selling many phones these days. But thanks for your multiple inputs to that effect. The path to 'success' is not always the best route taken.

Posted via CB10
    Nascarfan24 likes this.
    12-12-15 11:37 AM
    Also, remember that the Leap does not have all the sensors that the Z10 and Z30 have - no gyroscope or compass.

While certainly not important to everyone, it is to a lot of people.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 12:21 PM
    Also, remember that the Leap does not have all the sensors that the Z10 and Z30 have - no gyroscope or compass.

While certainly not important to everyone, it is to a lot of people.

Posted via CB10
    No nfc and no 5ghz wifi either.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 12:27 PM
    Someone at BlackBerry thought 'our phones are over-priced, let's build a cheap device and see if that helps. Chen then has the "brainwave" of re-releasing a stripped down version of the Z10.

Off topic: the Leap is the time in BlackBerry history that their device names became funky. The Leap? Sounds like a child's toy, and don't get me started on the Priv lol.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2813/SR .2530  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    12-12-15 12:31 PM
    Oh.... I forgot about hdmi

Obviously the leap was built to a price point to be an inexpensive fleet phone. It has the most things most people use most of the time, but it ain't no near flagship device.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 01:32 PM
    For you and a small number of people, perhaps. To most people, it isn't.

The Z10 was already using nearly year-old tech (an S4 processor, and a low-end dual-core one at that) when it hit the market. Someone who has carried one for 2+ years couldn't be blamed for expecting an "upgrade" to have something other than the exact same, now 3-year-old SoC. People certainly wouldn't consider an iPhone or an Android phone to be an "upgrade" if it had the same SoC as the phone they'd been carrying for 2.5 years...
    Besides screen size, how much different really was the iPhone 5 to the 6? Did they all not have a paltry 1GB of RAM? I think one could even argue the build quality of the 6 was inferior to the 5s as well. Apple, the masters of marketing, seemed to do ok offering their customers, essentially a larger screen device with inferior build quality. For more money....brilliant really. Lastly, BlackBerry 10, like Apple, is no where near as resource and spec hungry as Android. The BlackBerry 10 devices on dual core and with chip noted have done nothing but improve with each new OS update. I don't even think Apple can tout this, with older devices since moving to 2GB of RAM in 2015.
    12-13-15 02:30 AM
30 12