Does it count that I still have my Palm VIIx? Still works great, except of course no net these days. I miss Graffiti.
    I think my Handspring Visor is around SOMEWHERE! I also had a Treo 90 (that's the non phone one) that I sold way back when. I'm pretty sure I still got the Visor, might be at my parents former home (now owned by my brother and family).

EDIT: Are we true geeks or WHAT, I still miss Graffiti too.
    Last edited by pkcable; 01-14-09 at 02:18 PM.
    01-14-09 01:21 PM
    Specialization still rules.
    Amen brother. I will keep saying this: Any device that can do everything will
    do many of them poorly.
    01-14-09 01:23 PM
    I remember how utterly cool it was, sitting in a lawn chair by the lake, sipping a brew and keeping tabs on my little business' e-mails. It was such a novelty at the time. Sigh...
    01-14-09 01:24 PM
    Never thought I would say this, but I'm now actually considering an iPhone as my next phone. Why?

Well, my guitar instructor recently asked me to bring in an MP3 player. Now, had I known he just wanted me to play him any mp3's of songs I wanted to learn, I would have just loaded them up on my Blackberry, but I thought he wanted to x-fer stuff to a standard mp3 player, so I went out and bought an iPod Nano.

Well, I got it home, and loaded up about 500 of my fav songs, and then plugged in the headphones.

I about fell over the sound was so good!

Now, mind you, I didn't get the iPod touch, because I didn't want to duplicate all the functionality on my BB, and carry another device as large.

Now I'm seriously considering getting an iPhone next time, or getting an iPod touch and just getting a regular phone since I really don't want the iPhone touch screen for texting.

The sound was that good, and it blew me away.

Interestingly, I also found I could load Linux on the iPod if I wanted to depart from the Apple podware so I don't need to run Windows on a virtual machine (under Linux).

Anyway, given all the problems with the Storm, I'm seriously considering the iPod touch with a regular phone option.

Patrick
    Good for you and good luck with it. It's nice when someone finds something he or she truly wants. And thanks also, for letting us all know that you play the guitar.
    01-14-09 01:48 PM
    The draw of the ipod touch/iphone does wear off though. Its all about preference...the iphone is an ipod with phone functionality while a BlackBerry is a smartphone with a passable mo3 player (not saying I don't love my BlackBerry though)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And the draw of the BB wears off much much faster, unless you're a business user maybe.

01-14-09 07:25 PM
    And the draw of the BB wears off much much faster, unless you're a business user maybe.
    Oh, that is totally a matter of personal opinion. This site alone is rife with people whose BB addictions contradict you.

01-14-09 07:30 PM
    And the world is full of people who agree with me. Different strokes for different folks. All I'm saying is that after a year, the BB novelty wore off. I guess I'm not enough of a business man for the BB...

01-14-09 09:45 PM
    i had the bb curve and ditched it for the g1 the sound on the g1 is definitely better i bought a ipod touch on new years day and was also blown away by the sound so now am carrying my g1 and the touch. am waiting for the 8900 to see what that will be like.
    01-14-09 09:58 PM
    I guess I'm not enough of a business man for the BB...
    We're like Yin and Yang. I don't use my BB for business, it's entirely a play toy I use for pleasure. I'm fanatic about not letting work-related stuff anywhere near it, that would cheapen the fun value. The luster merely grows stronger over the months as I find more fun things to do with mine.

Different strokes, absolutely.
    01-15-09 05:10 AM
    Oh there is no comparison between the iPod Touch (orjust plain old iPod for that matter) and the crap sound you get from a Berry, regardless of the headphone used.

I have a pair of Bose headphones that can't make a Berry music output sound good. I only use the Berry for music when absolutely necessary (like I forget my Touch).

I am a musician (not professionally, but I have played sax for 20+ years in local bands and in school) and have the 'ear' for music and tuning, so I am really, really picky about sound quality. The BB output is godawful.

I had a Creative Zen player before I got my first nano (I was one of the Apple is Evil crowd lol) and when I used that nano the first time I was a believer, if RIM could make a touchscreen that worked half as well as the Touch they would be doing well, and if they could make a Curve with the interface of an iPod it would be the perfect device...now I own a 1st Gen iPod Touch 8Gb and a 80 Gb 6th Gen iPod Classic and you would have to pry them from my cold, dead hands...
    03-12-09 10:29 AM
    i was considering the switch and when i went to check out the iphone, the face that it has no cut and paste sold me on the BB
    03-12-09 10:47 AM
    As a former iPhone-er, I'll chime in.. (I had the iPhone for about a year).

Cut and paste (to me), wasn't a huge deal. Anything I would have wanted to Cut and paste was hyperlinkable (Website links, email addresses, #'s) so while on the surface "Oh no, you can't cut and paste" sounds like a reasonable reaction IN MY EXPERIENCE, I can't think of a time where I missed it. (That being said, In the week since I've been back to my Pearl, I've probably used C&P 3 times.. things I wouldn't have thought to use it for on my iPhone, but it gave me the flexibility to do so).

As for the iPod vs Media Player - I listen to music on the train to/from work everyday. My iPhone was great for that. I honestly don't notice any lack of sound quality from the pearl (again, I'm on a train so theres background noise effecting that too). But, Even though I've got a 16GB microSD card on order for my BB, I also have a 16GB Nano being delivered today which I'll use for my listening pleasure during my commute... Why?

Well, for 1 - the flexibility and ease of use of an iPod is hands down, easier than the BB. Click, Scroll, Find a song, click.. Easy as can be. On the Pearl (4.5 OS using Media player), its a little more cumbersome, especially backing out or truely closing the app. When I get to work each day, on the iPhone (and with an iPod), I'd unplug the headphones, which automatically pauses the music), wrap up the cord, shove them in my pocket. That was it. iPod was paused, nothing else to do. With the BB, unplugging the headphones doesn't do anything.. I still have to go in, shut the music, back out, close the app (I know i can use the external mute button to pause, but then I need to still shut the app so I don't accidentally hit the mute button again later when its in my pocket and let the music out!)

Another Plus to the iPhone/iPod is lyrics. A novelty, yes.. but I do enjoy reading along.

Like I mentioned, I did buy a 16GB card for the BB, which will have the same music, but for my commute it'll be the ipod.. Its just nice to have my select favorites with me at all times on the Pearl.
    Last edited by hls811; 03-12-09 at 11:09 AM.
    03-12-09 11:06 AM
    BB- Has bluetooth! I doubt that it is a big issue for many. I really like to listen to my music through my Jabra bluetooth, pauses for calls and SMS. The Jabra 8330 has a quick convenient volume dial on the side. Reach up and spin it when someone starts speaking.

iPod- Plays Audible.com books! I will always have an iPod. I have been listening to books for 8 years now. Actually I listened to cassette tapes on trips as far back as '96.

WiFi- My Curve doesn't have it. 10 months for my upgrade so I'll see whats available then. WiFi is of course crazy fast compared to Verizon internet on the BB. i haven't played with the Touch and it's browser. I do intend to get a 16 or 32 gig Touch.

Tethering- No one has brought this up. iPhone doesn't tether. I actually bought the BB Curve for tethering. I found that the BB tethering was easy. I had considered the PC card from ClearWire. It was the cheapest internet access out there at $50 a month unlimited access. All others are $99 for unlimited and $60 for 5gig max. Verizon BB tethering access is $30 for 5gigs. That was a selling point. I got the BB. Iphone iTouch BB can't compare to a full PC browser.

There are probably other reasons I will choose to have an iPod and BB for their separate features. Although I don't want to limit myself with just an iPhone.
    03-12-09 02:21 PM
    Patrick... I just purchased a 16GB ipod touch and love it. Did not want to give up my BB for a iphone. I am so glad I bought the touch.
    03-12-09 02:31 PM
    and a buggier OS than your BB.
    What? That is completely false. I would really like to know how mobile OSX is more buggy than BB OS. I have both a Bold and an iPhone, that I like equally, and can tell you that every time I update the Bold, I hope that everything works and that a new bug does not appear. Every time I update my iPhone, I know what bugs it fixes, while not adding anymore. Mobile OSX is silky smooth.
    Last edited by avt123; 03-12-09 at 05:02 PM.
    03-12-09 04:51 PM
    i have a 60gb ipod video and 8gb ipod touch as well as my curve. i boutght the ipod touch when it came out for the apps and i thought it would be fun to use around my house since i am a mac user. but i am very glad i do not have an iphone i hate the keyboard especially not having a landscape in texting. and im 6'3 i have big fingers and it is hard to type on that thing. so basically it is a toy and thats great thats why i bought it. iphone are cool but for serious use you cant beat a blackberry. plus the ipod touch only works on wifi so you cant get emails or web anywhere. thats why i love the BB yes i know the iphone can as well but like i said the touchscreen isn't for me. i would get an ipod touch since it can use almost all the same apps(except ones that require a mic) and keep your BB.

dont get me wrong i think the iphone and BB are equally amazing in their own fields but i prefer the BB although im an avid mac user. the day there is an iphone with a keyboard i think im going to have to buy it. till then ill play with my touch and BB
    03-12-09 05:23 PM
    My BlackBerry sounds the same as my old iPod video. I mean, maybe it's the iPod headphones? I don't see how a device determines audio quality. Or maybe I'm just not picky.
    03-12-09 05:31 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD