I needed to buy a new phone as my previous phone (an old SonyEricsson) wouldn't perform it's duties anymore, and although it did support the reading and writing of emails, it wasn't as much of a great app as an sms-interface e-mail client. So, I wanted to get something new!

Browsing the phone offers of my mobile network provider, I was making eyecontact with Iphone 4 for a long time. A really long time. I wasn't in love, but I knew if I bought it, it would satisfy my needs (or so I thought, at the time). But, buying a phone is like a marriage, it's not a ring on your finger, but it's something which will standby your side (hopefully good standby time) and walk with you wherever you go, holding your hand.
    Now I know the reason I wanted an iphone4 was because I wasn't asking the right questions, but how could I know at the time? I just wanted something which would let me email and browse the web if needed (and hopefully good appsupport).

The time came, a few weeks ago, I was convinced I should buy the iphone right then and now, going through the steps of the provider's website, I tried making an order. For a very unknown reason, it failed at the final step (I even called support, which came to rescue but didn't have a clue as to what was actually going on...).
    It was strange, but I let it pass. I didn't make the order then, which is a decision I still stand by proudly and am thankful for every day.
    Would there be a separate universe in which I did buy the Ifool4, I want to go there as a spy and change the background (which is the only thing you'll ever customize on an I-diot) to "fool/***** x4".

A few days after the bomb at the provider's website, I thought I would order the phone while at my sister's place, which I would visit for a weekend for the first time in many months.
    I mentioned to her in a message I was eyeballin' the Iphone4, and she dropped the bomb, not immedeatly, but after dinner, she scolded me for even considering getting an Ifool4, and although I didn't understand her point at the time, I did agree it was rather costly. "You would never pay that much money for a phone if you had to pay it all at once!", she roared (I was going to pay little by little each month), and I did see her point, but I wasn't looking forward to getting into the phone jungle again.

A few days later, she acknowledged she would pay for my new phone, as a gift, or atleast 150$ of it, if I didn't buy an "Ican'tAskTheRightQuestions4" .
    I started looking at Android phones but they didn't give me enough sugar. Why would I ever want an Android? The truth is, I didn't. In an early stage I began noticing Blackberries. They had awesome qwerty keyboard, and looking at some reviews online, they seemed to be doing quite well (little did I know of BB data plan, and I am just in luck BB can be used with third party plans these days as I had no such a plan of getting such a plan).
    I was looking at different models and finally decided on the Tour 9630. At a price far far away from Ispendtoomuchmoney4, it delivered the goods in a manner I hadn't even expected.
    I immedeatly fell in love with it, the Trackball+qwerty, and the emailing was sweet, almost like on pc (much better than any touch screen experience). There was also impressive calendar, good speaker, great customization + shortcuts. Everything was just a click away!

To sum up this awfully long story. Had I bought the Icrazy4 originally, I would never have known what did I miss, and I would have spend more money on something which in the end wouldn't perform as well.
    I am really amazed as to why a BB like Tour 9630 which is a few years old, didn't became a bigger "hit". As far as I know, it just really feels better for what I needed the most (calling/messaging/browsing/emailing) than an Ican'tthinkformyself4.

I am also really glad to have saved a lot of bucks from the gift from my sister. She apologized after the scolding for maybe being too hard on me (I didn't cry), but as far as I know, it might have been God's will. I was simply meant to become one with something that would change my life, rather than just sit in pocket, do it's job, and shut up.

Moral of the story is; ask the right questions. And listen to your sister if she scolds you. She might seem angry, but she might be on to something which will later inspire you and save you a lot of money and trouble. Furthermore, before someone raises issue of Appstore having a bigger selection of apps than the BB - with the money I saved on the Ican'tbelieveIalmostfellforhype4, I could afford a brand new Nintendo DS and some of its greatest software, which obviously offers a greater quality entertainment - and still, I've got hundreds of $ waiting to be spent on things I need, just cause I didn't make purchase of I'mreallygladtobealivewithouttheIphoneOnMyPhoneBil l4 .

Next time I see someone playing with their IspentTooMuchMoneyOnSomethingToTouch4 I'll be sure to say "move over *****, I'm roaming!"

I know it's a long story, but I wanted to tell it here, to the people who might understand what I'm going through. My sister now has an Iphone4 herself, but she got it for free from her work. She would NEVER have payed for it! NEVER! (she did buy an Ipad2 though)
    07-16-11 08:33 PM
    lol nice post, glad you learned your lesson
    07-16-11 08:41 PM
    Sounds like quite a I'mreallygladtobealivewithouttheIphoneOnMyPhoneBil l4 kind of a post
    07-16-11 08:50 PM
    Welcome! and glad that you have found a good device-fit for yourself.
    07-16-11 08:53 PM
    The 96xx and 97xx series Tour/Bolds are considered by many to be the ultimate traditional BlackBerry device (which I'm sure the 9900 will soon become). The 9630 is still my favourite.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    07-16-11 10:34 PM
    First I heard it put that way. So true, Too funny.
    07-16-11 10:46 PM
    Thank you for reading, and comments to all!

First I heard it put that way. So true, Too funny.
    Not sure exactely what was being refered to. But as for money-hole-wise, just thinking that I could have gotten a really decent tv set, or 2 x Playstation 3, or a PS3 now and the PSVita phone this christmas, it just put things in a very clear perspective. Later on, discovering how the BB is actually better for me at performing those things I would be using my phone for the most, it was really a sweet surprise. Like finding fresh cream in a strawberry.

The 96xx and 97xx series Tour/Bolds are considered by many to be the ultimate traditional BlackBerry device (which I'm sure the 9900 will soon become). The 9630 is still my favourite.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    I had no idea about this, it just fit my price/desire ratio best (checkin them BBabies on wikipedia), that's why I ended up buying it. Tbh I didn't even know or understand fully what is a "trackball" until I had the BB in my hand. After using it only for a few days (learning all shortcuts from manual, and some tips from this site), I was quite convinced on the superior control scheme of this device, as oppose to touch-screen-only.
    (Which kinda makes me wonder what RIM was thinking with Storm 1 (???), which supposably was a fail, they should have stuck to what they did best).
    There are soo many (internal, not appternal) features in this phone which surprise me with ease, and it's all very much connected to the superior input scheme. Screen is also really nice (I like them colors), among other things, and you won't be scratching it even on your days of long nails, cause you're not flippin' it like a fool!

If RIM would have made a video showing how everything is just a click away and how the trackball literally makes the phone like lil' laptop (for browsing and text editing), wouldn't they have made more sales?
    The 9900, which was mentioned in another topic, seems kinda interesting, will be checkin' on that (although I won't be buying in any near future myself, too delighted to own a Tour!)
    07-17-11 05:54 AM
    Thank you for reading, and comments to all!

Not sure exactely what was being refered to. But as for money-hole-wise, just thinking that I could have gotten a really decent tv set, or 2 x Playstation 3, or a PS3 now and the PSVita phone this christmas, it just put things in a very clear perspective. Later on, discovering how the BB is actually better for me at performing those things I would be using my phone for the most, it was really a sweet surprise. Like finding fresh cream in a strawberry.

I had no idea about this, it just fit my price/desire ratio best (checkin them BBabies on wikipedia), that's why I ended up buying it. Tbh I didn't even know or understand fully what is a "trackball" until I had the BB in my hand. After using it only for a few days (learning all shortcuts from manual, and some tips from this site), I was quite convinced on the superior control scheme of this device, as oppose to touch-screen-only.
    (Which kinda makes me wonder what RIM was thinking with Storm 1 (???), which supposably was a fail, they should have stuck to what they did best).
    There are soo many (internal, not appternal) features in this phone which surprise me with ease, and it's all very much connected to the superior input scheme. Screen is also really nice (I like them colors), among other things, and you won't be scratching it even on your days of long nails, cause you're not flippin' it like a fool!

If RIM would have made a video showing how everything is just a click away and how the trackball literally makes the phone like lil' laptop (for browsing and text editing), wouldn't they have made more sales?
    The 9900, which was mentioned in another topic, seems kinda interesting, will be checkin' on that (although I won't be buying in any near future myself, too delighted to own a Tour!)
    I'm liking your writing style

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-11 06:32 AM
    Different phones fit different needs and wants.
    My Torch works best for me. My tech lead at work can't live without his iPhone4. We want different things from our devices.
    Glad you found what works for you!!! Enjoy!!!!
    07-17-11 07:23 AM
  10. T
    It sounds like after a turbulent courtship with the apple device -- I can't believe you continued to pursue it after it jilted you at the carrier's site -- you found your true partner, your soul mate so to speak. I was seriously considering the Tour when I upgraded recently. It would have been a great upgrade from my Curve (I love the trackball), but I ended up with the Bold. I'm not sure why, I think it was just availability. I love my Bold, but I would have also loved its Tour predecessor (itself a world phone).

07-17-11 08:17 AM
    Ha! Been there
    I've had Macintosh since I was 5. I tried to stick with Apple moving into phones and had an iPhone4 as well, and really loved it, briefly.

It's buy odd coincidence that I came into a BB back when I did, but you said it best when you compared a soul mate to "it does a job, sits in your pocket and shuts up."

I personally cannot be disuaded that Macintosh is a superior platform in the land of proprietary computing, but indeed, my BB is like my best friend.
    Enough sounding like a goof huh?

07-17-11 09:39 AM
    Fantastic that u've found the right phone for u which happens to be a BB.
    For what it is worth, iPhone4 has many good attributes too.

07-17-11 10:31 AM
    Not sure exactely what was being refered to. But as for money-hole-wise, just thinking that I could have gotten a really decent tv set, or 2 x Playstation 3, or a PS3 now and the PSVita phone this christmas, it just put things in a very clear perspective. Later on, discovering how the BB is actually better for me at performing those things I would be using my phone for the most, it was really a sweet surprise. Like finding fresh cream in a strawberry

Just a comment on the entire post,entertaining perspective.
    07-17-11 11:36 AM
    First of all I am very glad you like the phone you decided to buy. However, why do you keep knocking the iphone and calling it the ifool and such? How do you know it would not fit your needs better? It may not but it seems you are knocking a device you dont really know about. Also, doesn't it seem a little odd that your sister would NEVER buy an iphone, what an atrocity, but she has an ipad?

Again, no skin off my nose I am glad you like your device just think its odd that people bash and call names things that they dont know about. I like what Qbnkelt said different phones for different people.
    07-17-11 03:40 PM
    About 6-7 years ago Blackberry devices were e-mail only. Then 5 or so years ago we had the introduction of actual Smartphones (voice and data) Palm Treo, Blackberry and Windows Mobile. 2007 we got iOS followed shortly by Andriod. Since then we have had updated OS for all these makers giving consumers real choice and the introduction and availability of Smartphones to more than select business users. Real choice and competition. To say that any one piece of hardware or OS is superior and the rest are junk is quite frankly just false.

As said above different phones and OS for different people. Be happy with your choice without bashing other competitors.
    07-17-11 08:44 PM
    First of all I am very glad you like the phone you decided to buy. However, why do you keep knocking the iphone and calling it the ifool and such? How do you know it would not fit your needs better? It may not but it seems you are knocking a device you dont really know about. Also, doesn't it seem a little odd that your sister would NEVER buy an iphone, what an atrocity, but she has an ipad?

Again, no skin off my nose I am glad you like your device just think its odd that people bash and call names things that they dont know about. I like what Qbnkelt said different phones for different people.
    As prescribed, I do think the Iphone would have performed well, but it wouldn't have felt special, and it would have cost loads in comparison. I really do feel BB performs better for doing what I need a phone to do (call/e-mail/occasional browse of world wide web), and considering it saved me several hundreds of dollars, almost buying the Iphone felt post-purchase like a near-death experience.

This is the first time for me to express these feelings, so maybe it came out a little over the top, but it was a truly emotional journey. Like going on a journey to buy the best device on earth, but instead of making a deal with merchant, you discover a forgotten treasure. In the end, it's not even about finding that treasure as much as finding yourself.
    07-18-11 07:16 AM
    About 6-7 years ago Blackberry devices were e-mail only. Then 5 or so years ago we had the introduction of actual Smartphones (voice and data) Palm Treo, Blackberry and Windows Mobile. 2007 we got iOS followed shortly by Andriod. Since then we have had updated OS for all these makers giving consumers real choice and the introduction and availability of Smartphones to more than select business users. Real choice and competition. To say that any one piece of hardware or OS is superior and the rest are junk is quite frankly just false.

As said above different phones and OS for different people. Be happy with your choice without bashing other competitors.
    Iphone was not stated as junk. Clearly, it's a decent phone (with a not-so-decent-price tag) - I think I even wrote clearly, it would have performed it's duties. The points I make are more about the choice of mobile as for my own needs, than the mobile itself for anyone.

The iphone would have cost an equivalent of more than 900 USD, I was able to get my lovely Tour-de-life 9630 for less than 250 USD.
    And, of that money, my sis ended up paying $150, so to fully understand and appreciate such an emotional journey you have to think of it like this:

Option 1)
    I would spend $900 and get a new phone which performs my duties.

Option 2)
    I would spend $100 and get a new phone which changes the way I think about smartphones and is everything I would ever want from a smartphone!
    It could also be looked at as getting a new phone and getting $800 for free (as I was basicly ready to spend the initial $900).
    The $800 saves, I can spend on real-to-life items which will give me real-life satisfaction silly apps can't give. Even a thing like getting a decent hotel room over the weekend, just for me and my BB, it could be possible, and would probably be an unforgettable experience.
    Now, I personally decided to buy the DS because of the huge software library, but in all honesty, I could get the 3DS or in this december the new Sony PSP, aswell as plenty of great software for those, and a digital camera which performs way better than iphone (I got a nice camera so don't need to buy new one, ie don't miss the better camera of iphone).

Obviously, it must be handy-dandy to carry all those things (even if not as good as the ones sold separetely) in one device, but looking at it post-purchase, I really can't see how the price tag justifies for a person with me who prefers to get maximum quality for the money.
    So this story, although rather subjective still stands strong as true without exaggeration.

Think about what kind of technology you could get for 900 USD and compare it to getting an iphone. I mean even if you love iphone apps (or whatever reason you think iphone is that great), getting a BB for 250 and an ipod touch 32 GB for less than 300 USD will still save you another 350 USD!
    The most important thing to keep in mind is that I actually think my Tour-de-life outperforms iphone4 in being a phone/e-mail/browser.
    So, all in all, I think the BB is a blessing, and for a short period of time in my life, I was a true fool for not asking the right questions.
    Also, seeing how a scolding from sister can actually lead to something and not just be a painful experience, was also eye-opening.
    Last edited by klondikeee; 07-18-11 at 09:21 AM. Reason: and/or
    07-18-11 07:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD