Hi guys and gals,

So I recently switched from an iPhone to a Blackberry 8520. I'm loving it so far but I there are just two things kind of nagging at me.

1. Email
    On my iPhone, when I entered my Gmail account, all of my folders and older emails appeared and there was a two-way IMAP sync. On my Blackberry I entered my Gmail account and I all I'm receiving are new messages (ones that I got AFTER I got the blackberry, no older email). I am wondering if there is any way to import my older mail. I also can't seem to see any of my folders. I realize there's a Gmail app, but it doesn't work on the $15 Unlimited email/messaging service I have with Rogers. I do have a BIS account for what it's worth.

2. Music
    The Blackberry groups all of my bands starting with "The" together. Is there a way to group them by the first letter of the band's name after the "The" like on the iPhone?

Loving the Berry so far and if I could get these two things sorted I would be ecstatic.
    03-17-10 04:16 PM
    You'll have to resend any older Gmails you want on your phone to yourself, but please note they will have whatever the date is that you resend them, not their original date. Unless you have BES (Enterprise) you won't be able to get your folders.
    03-17-10 04:27 PM
    You can try going back to the web based gmail account, tick all your old emails and mark them as unread and then try and reconcile you mailbox on the blackberry. I'm not sure but this method worked on my iphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-10 04:36 PM
    You'll have to resend any older Gmails you want on your phone to yourself, but please note they will have whatever the date is that you resend them, not their original date. Unless you have BES (Enterprise) you won't be able to get your folders.
    Is that the definitive answer? I mean all I've ever heard is that the Blackberry is the ULTIMATE email device...forwarding myself 1000s of emails and not having folders seems a little ridiculous. Say it ain't so.
    03-17-10 04:38 PM
    You can try going back to the web based gmail account, tick all your old emails and mark them as unread and then try and reconcile you mailbox on the blackberry. I'm not sure but this method worked on my iphone.

Tried that, no luck
    03-17-10 05:06 PM
    Is that the definitive answer? I mean all I've ever heard is that the Blackberry is the ULTIMATE email device...forwarding myself 1000s of emails and not having folders seems a little ridiculous. Say it ain't so.
    unfortunately you are limited with your BIS. and your 15/unlimited plan.

you'd need to use the gmail app sorry to tell you for it to work with your BIS, or use the web browser.
    03-17-10 09:02 PM
    Have you tried Enhanced Gmail Plug-in? This plug-in enhances your regular email inbox by adding support for labels (folders), unites conversations (like in web-based Gmail), and adds some Gmail-specific features like starred emails, "report spam" etc.Surely, it doesn't store your past emails on BB, as any standard BB email software; more so, it autoremoves old emails from the device from time to time (can be adjusted in settings).
    Btw, if you absolutely need some of your past emails, Gmail app works with BIS-B, you can search for any past email with it without actually storing all those emails on a device.

03-18-10 03:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD