well as you all know the iphone has been the phone to beat.
    from what i have seen and played with it is more of a fun phone than a practical phone.
    i believe what is keeping it going is the hundreds upon hundreds of apps they release for it.

now my question is what would RIM have to do to make an iphone killer?
    i know that was their intent with the storm but i do not believe they did as good as a job with it as they could of.

we have heard many stories of people going to the iphone from blackberries and hating it and some loving it.

what kind of phone do you guys think would kill the iphone?
    i want to know all the specs for your perfect phone and see if we can agree on some of them and dream up a kiler phone, lol
    03-09-09 11:12 AM
    I think the phrase "iPhone killer" is a little... ridiculous. Sure it's sold really well but there are two reasons for this:
    1. Easy to use. The interface is fairly intuitive and easy to use.
    2. Integrated with iTunes. Since there are billions of songs sold on iTunes, all of these people can now use their new phone with their music.

The iPhone isn't "winning" because of features as it lacks MMS, Copy & Paste, Multitasking, etc.

Now as for a phone that could possibly "beat" to take away some market share from the iPhone? I don't think any BlackBerry can. Unfortuantely BlackBerry has a stigma with their name making people think it's only for business and they back away. That's going to be a hard image for RIM to change. The Storm is a nice phone but I don't think it's as intuitive as the iPhone.

From what I've seen from all announced phones, I'd say the palm Pre has the best shot at dethrowning the iPhone. It has a very intuitive interface, it's fast, offers all of the features the iPhone does not have, and it just looks pretty (like the iPhone).
    03-09-09 11:26 AM
    yo memba how the Zune was supposed to be an "iPod killer" ahahahahhahhaha

I like the G1, i think its dope..

The Palm Pre just looks bananas..

My Pearl is amazing...

iPhones are mobile computers that just happen to have a cell/mobile phone app hahaha
    03-09-09 11:29 AM
    It would make me happy if RIM would make a DM for macs! I have actually thought about leaving my BB for an Iphone because I cannot upgrade my OS on my mac and that just isn't snappin' for me!
    03-09-09 12:25 PM
    If Palm can pull it off, the Pre has potential.

As of right now, no phone can claim to be an iPhone killer because none have the cult developer following and $$riches$$ at the end of the tunnel for some devs.

Each company who wants to make an iPhone killer, MUST make it a social phone. Social in regards to reaching to consumers, reaching to social networks, and reaching to the devs who make bitchen software for it.

No phone other than the iPhone can claim this.
    Last edited by sniffs; 03-09-09 at 01:38 PM.
    03-09-09 01:33 PM
    Iphone.................

If you want to try really really hard trying to do heavy productivity, or do you want to have games, music, and nonsense applications that the creator should be fired for making something so stupid, then go for it. But if you want something that works and gets allong well with your job and personal life, then a blackberry is for you. Trust me I have worked with IT managers that have had the iphone and using it in the corperate world and with server sync, etc, ya the iphone does email and all that but it's more the shock and ahh that get's everyone. And yes the Iphone works. I mean it's name has phone in it, but with just recently in early February 2009, RIM sold their 50 millionth BlackBerry, and there are approximately 21 million subscribers using their e-mail services. (which is quite alot considering that the majority of it's user base comes from mostly corporate/business users). Kinda makes you think......

The main reason I own a Blackberry is, because it works when I need it to and I get my job done and stay more organized.

Not sure what other user would plan on using with that type of device, but Blackberry will always cover the higher up exec and then move towards the kid selling lemonade on the street corner and get him something that is cool and all the kids like... But when it comes to crunch time, I want and have not to this day seen the Iphone preform the way they all talk.....

The Iphone is a toy with wishful thinking to be good, a good toy at best.
    Last edited by yester18; 03-09-09 at 01:45 PM.
    03-09-09 01:41 PM
    RIM did make one, it's called the Storm

<ducking>
    03-09-09 01:53 PM
    IPhone. You can have a lot of cool apps like a beer drinking phone. As was said above, the iphone and their claim to fame is apps, apps, apps. But they are all useless. My wife tried the iphone for a week and all of the apps which she liked i was able to get for my Bold. Needless to say, this weekend she went for the Bold and will never look back. The actual useful apps, and fun apps (slacker, weather, bolt, google maps, etc) are all available for the Bold. As for me, there is never a choice. My work dictates that I need email quickly and effectively. It is also better for our one year old as we can now EASILY send pics back and forth of the little guy to each other (along with VIDEO). With a little searching and work, always on crackberry, the same fun apps for the iphone are available for the Bold (and I am sure other BB models). Now, if you want to download worthless apps and have no MMS/video capability, along with no real productivity, by all means, go get yourself an iphone. Just make sure you have that 30 days to return because you will be begging for a BB.
    03-09-09 02:02 PM
    iPhone is overrated. Every company/phone has a different consumer base. For RIM it's business users, and their phones tend to be orientated towards them, as well as the "prosumer" category.

Apple is basically targeting the young, music-listening demographic, who want ease of use, multimedia etc. Not to say that blackberries don't excel at this too, but the iphone is not built upon email like the Blackberry is.

So an iphone "killer" is a subjective term, it depends what youre talking about. For email/productivity, any BB is better (copy and paste, easier PUSH etc.)

For multimedia, the iphone probably wins out because of its screen size, etc.

So I guess if RIM wanted to build an iphone "killer" they'd need to combine their ease of use with even better multimedia. I was not impressed with the STORM in this regard, but it shows that RIM is trying.
    03-09-09 02:07 PM
    Well, they would have to change their demographics. While RIM has a predominant business, professional audience, apple has a consumer audience. Not many businesses are turning to Apple for business solutions. Quite frankly... I'm glad that RIM has not created an iPhone carbon-copy, my BB has everything I'm need to manage my life and business. If I wanted to play games or monkey with apps, then I could consider an iPhone. I think it comes down to functionality and style. People want flashy thinks with features. RIM to needs to not imitate apple, but rather rise above them with innovation. I don't know what the consists of...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 02:14 PM
    It would make me happy if RIM would make a DM for macs! I have actually thought about leaving my BB for an Iphone because I cannot upgrade my OS on my mac and that just isn't snappin' for me!
    I haven't been on CB let alone BB's website but as far as I know they should still be releasing it. It was suppose to be done and released by the first quarter of 09' so we'll see how long this takes.
    03-09-09 02:14 PM
    I haven't been on CB let alone BB's website but as far as I know they should still be releasing it. It was suppose to be done and released by the first quarter of 09' so we'll see how long this takes.
    Pffft I haven't heard a damn thing about it!! GRRR
    03-09-09 02:15 PM
    The only iPhone killer will be the new iPhone coming out in June.
    03-09-09 03:09 PM
    What the iPhone does, it does pretty damn well.

Hands down it has the best mobile browser of any device.

It also has the best multimedia features, from PANDORA, which is no where to be found on a Blackberry, to all the rest that the BB's have.

Sure it could have better email functionality, but this is Apple's first attempt at email on it. I can only imagine it will get better.

If everyone here is clamoring that the BB has the best email, that's a pretty weak argument. How can 1 positive be better than multiple from another device?

Blackberry- +1 email
    Blackberry- -1 multimedia
    Blackberry- -1 on web browsing
    Blackberry- -1 on apps.. how many total that work perfectly.. like 10?

iPhone- -1 email
    iPhone- +1 multimedia
    iPhone- +1 on web browsing
    iPhone- +1 on apps, apps, apps, 25,000 of them
    iPhone- +1 coolness factor

What people want, INCLUDING corporate head honchos.. trust me, I talk to head honchos on a daily basis (I'm a BB admin for a billion+ dollar international sales&marketing congolmerate), is eye candy in the OS! Only the iPhone has this. Almost every one of the execs in my company have an iPhone. 1 has a Storm.

With Exchange 2007, you have some pretty indepth control of the content on an iPhone. Sure it uses SSL, but so does every Windows Mobile device, last I heard, they were #2 in the business.

We can go round and round on the iPhone's official FW lacking MMS/Video recording and all the fun jazz.. but Jailbreak your iPhone, and guess what? You now have MMS with SwirlyMMS, Video recording with Cycorder, and pretty much anything else left out.
    03-09-09 03:19 PM
    Q3 2008 Market Share:

Symbian OS: 46% share

iPhone: 17.3% share

RIM Blackberry: 15.2 % Share

Windows Mobile: 13 % share

I'll be more interested in the next quarter's results, as the iPhone has went from 0 market share to a nice number in little more than a year. Still, RIM is hanging in there and is quite close to the iPhone, despite the iPhone's extensive marketing and coolness factor.
    03-09-09 03:31 PM
    I was referring to data devices. Symbian isn't a data orientated OS.. it's for cheap flip phones and old people. =)
    Last edited by sniffs; 03-09-09 at 03:42 PM.
    03-09-09 03:40 PM
    And in the plus/minus column that the bean counter neglected are such things as the differences in durability and power usage. I've seen iPhones disintegrate with a minor fall, and we've just recently seen a case of a BB that got run through a snow blower and still worked.

Battery life, no contest. Expandability, ditto. Carry a spare battery? Hah! Take a flash picture, uh-uh. And to boot, the BB doesn't make the airwaves tremble when our e-mails come in and go out, because we're not hogging all the available bandwidth, like the users of SOME other devices.

Tried it out. It's cute, and neat, but, I chose the BlackBerry for many reasons, as utility and function are always the top of the heap in my world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 04:59 PM
    Blackberry- +1 email
    Blackberry- -1 multimedia
    Blackberry- -1 on web browsing
    Blackberry- -1 on apps.. how many total that work perfectly.. like 10?

iPhone- -1 email
    iPhone- +1 multimedia
    iPhone- +1 on web browsing
    iPhone- +1 on apps, apps, apps, 25,000 of them
    iPhone- +1 coolness factor
    These are very subjective and also a small part of what makes the phones different. For example you didn't give the BlackBerry a +1 for a full keyboard. "coolness factor" is pure opinion (like all of the other items).

I have an iPod Touch and I actually would rather surf the web on my Bold due to the physical keyboard and the lagging the iPhone / iPod Touch has when scrolling up or down. That doesn't necessarily means it's better but its my preference.
    03-09-09 05:02 PM
    Only thing about the storm I wish was comparable to the Iphone is the smoothness of scrolling, and the iphone's graphics seem to be a tad smoother and prettier to the eyes.
    03-09-09 05:09 PM
    I think a super awesome App World could help a lot, but I doubt anything that isn't an Apple product will ever "kill" the iPhone.

I know the only time I stare longingly at iPhone TV commercials is when they are going on about an app that I would use that isn't available on BlackBerry.

So if BB found a way to attract more developers for good apps, I think it would increase their share of the market quite a bit.
    03-09-09 05:33 PM
    RIM did make one, it's called the Storm

<ducking>
    I am not sure that could be categorized as an "iPhone Killer." I am happy the iPhone is around actually; it pushes RIM into new and great directions IMHO.
    03-09-09 07:25 PM
    I am not sure that could be categorized as an "iPhone Killer." I am happy the iPhone is around actually; it pushes RIM into new and great directions IMHO.
    I was joking.
    03-09-09 07:45 PM
    I was joking.
    Yeah, I figured as much. No worries.
    03-09-09 07:48 PM
    The iPhone blows the BB out of the water. Movies pictures music games apps etc. The iphone is the best at
    03-09-09 08:01 PM
    I don't get how apple's claim to fame is apps when the app store was only released last summer and not two summers again when the original iPhone was released.

My reasons are for the following:

A lot of people can stop having a phone and an iPod to carry at the same time.
    Dummy proof and easy to use
    Youtube (I don't use this, but the amount of people that I hear on a day to day basis that say they got it for this is ridiculous)
    The price (the first drop was enough to get a few more millions and the 3g price drop enabled 12 year olds to get this for Christmas)
    The syncing for PC and Macs are flawless.

There are more, but I'm on my way out to the movies... I'll continue later.

To answer the question: Make an iPhone with the features that the iPhone is missing + mac support! Although the Storm is no where near an iPhone killer, this doesn't make it worse. In fact, both are still growing, therefore it's Palm, MS, Nokia and others that are being knocked down.
    03-09-09 08:01 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD