I found what seemed to be impossible, someone in the financial industry stating they are long on the RIM stock, I know most probably won't care of this kind of news but here's the link anyway.

Best Regards
    Juan
    11-28-11 12:30 PM
    11-28-11 12:31 PM
    And from Seeking Alpha, no less! Interesting take.
    11-28-11 12:36 PM
    For those who don't want to read the article, the basic summary is that BlackBerry has two advantages over the iPhone: email enhanced through typing via keyboard and security.

As pointed out, Apple only does virtual keyboards; other manufacturers however make phones with QWERTY keyboards. However none of these companies have come close yet to the security BlackBerry offers. Therefore the author concludes that BlackBerry will continue to be profitable for years to come, but primarily within the enterprise sector where it holds its grounds.

Here's where I believe the article fails to support its claims:

1) Email. BlackBerry does excellent email, no denying it. However, many other operating systems are catching up in email capabilities and ease of use. I've used both iOS and BBOS email; I'll admit BB is better, but iOS definitely is catching up and does offer some advantages (size limits being one). Further, outside of the business world and education, email is fading as a tool for communication. How much longer before the corporate world moves as well?

2) Physical keyboard in relation to typing emails. I think this is individual choice and skill. I type as fast on the iPhone keyboard as I did the BlackBerry (specifically the 8900; I wasn't as fast on the 9800 keyboard). Even things like Swype make typing ridiculously fast. The reason is behind intelligent auto-correct and the methods used to predict next letters (making the touch area wider). So personal choice, but not necessarily faster overall.

3) Security. Again, RIM reigns supreme in this category. But other companies are taking notice and catching up in this area. Are they where RIM Is at? No. Can they be? Yes. Will they? That's left up to the companies in whether they want to compete in that sector. One could argue that Apple might prefer that route (they do enjoy full control over everything). Another argument is what need is there to go after that market segment when the consumer base could cover much more earning potential?

Ultimately, I think this article fails in understanding that RIM cannot just rest on its laurels to maintain profitability and stay afloat. They cannot ignore the consumer base nor should they ignore the shift of how we use our phones. To continue to innovate while maintaining the classic BlackBerry ideals of security should be their priority, not just staying stasis allowing other companies to catch up and take over their market.
    Accidental Post and candy84 like this.
    11-28-11 01:09 PM
    Couldn't have said it better myself

For those who don't want to read the article, the basic summary is that BlackBerry has two advantages over the iPhone: email enhanced through typing via keyboard and security.

As pointed out, Apple only does virtual keyboards; other manufacturers however make phones with QWERTY keyboards. However none of these companies have come close yet to the security BlackBerry offers. Therefore the author concludes that BlackBerry will continue to be profitable for years to come, but primarily within the enterprise sector where it holds its grounds.

Here's where I believe the article fails to support its claims:

1) Email. BlackBerry does excellent email, no denying it. However, many other operating systems are catching up in email capabilities and ease of use. I've used both iOS and BBOS email; I'll admit BB is better, but iOS definitely is catching up and does offer some advantages (size limits being one). Further, outside of the business world and education, email is fading as a tool for communication. How much longer before the corporate world moves as well?

2) Physical keyboard in relation to typing emails. I think this is individual choice and skill. I type as fast on the iPhone keyboard as I did the BlackBerry (specifically the 8900; I wasn't as fast on the 9800 keyboard). Even things like Swype make typing ridiculously fast. The reason is behind intelligent auto-correct and the methods used to predict next letters (making the touch area wider). So personal choice, but not necessarily faster overall.

3) Security. Again, RIM reigns supreme in this category. But other companies are taking notice and catching up in this area. Are they where RIM Is at? No. Can they be? Yes. Will they? That's left up to the companies in whether they want to compete in that sector. One could argue that Apple might prefer that route (they do enjoy full control over everything). Another argument is what need is there to go after that market segment when the consumer base could cover much more earning potential?

Ultimately, I think this article fails in understanding that RIM cannot just rest on its laurels to maintain profitability and stay afloat. They cannot ignore the consumer base nor should they ignore the shift of how we use our phones. To continue to innovate while maintaining the classic BlackBerry ideals of security should be their priority, not just staying stasis allowing other companies to catch up and take over their market.
    11-28-11 01:53 PM
    iphone wont kill blackberry, but blackberry will kill itself.
    Rickroller likes this.
    11-28-11 03:17 PM
    iphone wont kill blackberry, but blackberry will kill itself.
    I agree with this statement...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    11-28-11 03:23 PM
    I can see RIM making a big come back and the stock rising significantly. Personally I think people will start coming back to BB after getting tired of battery, security, and keyboard issues with android and iphones.

All it takes is companies to see that RIM has improved their products and hopefully BBX will put them ahead in a lot of areas where they fell behind in as well.
    11-28-11 03:41 PM
    I would like to see people come back to Blackberry, my list of active BBM contacts has significantly reduced in the last 12 months. It's a bit too quiet for me
    11-28-11 04:07 PM
    I would like to see people come back to Blackberry, my list of active BBM contacts has significantly reduced in the last 12 months. It's a bit too quiet for me
    Me too, lost my contacts to iphones and android. I don't have any more bbm contacts... Sucks!
    11-28-11 04:26 PM
    Me too, lost my contacts to iphones and android. I don't have any more bbm contacts... Sucks!
    Sounds like you need new friends! =)
    11-28-11 07:53 PM
    So these BBX superphones will have better battery than the iPhone & a plethora of Android powered devices?
    11-28-11 09:33 PM
    So these BBX superphones will have better battery than the iPhone & a plethora of Android powered devices?
    Doubtful. The Bold 9900 has significantly less battery life than previous BlackBerries due to the improved hardware and it's still running BBOS along with a small screen.

BBX is going to be a completely new graphical interface along with larger screens and better hardware. I wouldn't expect the battery life to be much different than what Android currently has.
    11-28-11 09:43 PM
    Long term, I think Android and Windows Phone are larger competitors to watch.
    11-29-11 09:41 AM
    Doubtful. The Bold 9900 has significantly less battery life than previous BlackBerries due to the improved hardware and it's still running BBOS along with a small screen.

BBX is going to be a completely new graphical interface along with larger screens and better hardware. I wouldn't expect the battery life to be much different than what Android currently has.
    I'd agree with this. At some point, consumers are going to have to sacrifice battery for state-of-the-art superphones. You can't have large screens, amazing graphics, dual-triple-quad processors, 8MP+ cameras, AND a sleek design without giving up battery life, no matter which phone brand you buy. That's how it is. So people will either stick with their older phones that have great battery life and lower specs, or upgrade to these new superphones and live with being tied to a charger.

At this point, I don't think it's unrealistic to charge your device once per day.
    11-29-11 11:29 AM
    no matter what happens Im not leaving Rim. I refuse to charge my battery
    2x a day. iphone 3gs battery was horrible for me then got evo4g talk about
    leaving me with a dead phone various times.
    Heck even when my blackberry battery is a red where antenna is off
    I can still just press 911 and I still have another 10+ minutes of talk time.
    and that's after a long day of really hard use.
    For me call quality and Battery comes first. Blackberry could have Zero apps
    on app world and it wouldn't make a difference to me. If I wanna play kid games
    I ll take out the ipod or even the playbook I recently purchase which will replace
    the ipod.
    my BB has a 1300mah battery and you think I will deal with a 4.5" screen phone
    with dual core processor with a mere 1600mah battery.
    cause of people like me Rim will live on...
    11-29-11 01:17 PM

At this point, I don't think it's unrealistic to charge your device once per day.
    Agreed. I think the days of new devices going 2-3 days between charges is long gone. Once a day isnt bad - throw it on the charger when you go to bed. Problem solved.
    moiselles likes this.
    11-29-11 01:24 PM
    If Apple come out with a keyboarded iPhone, it's over for RIM.
    11-29-11 01:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD