Oh god how these forum folk love to quibble over the meaning of a single word.

If you watch/read any mainstream media, the fact that a new BB phone is coming early next year has been reported widely and extensively. Plus, from my personal experience, I know lots of people who know about it. So yeah, there is probably a lot of pent up demand out there. But is it sufficient to propel the BB brand out of its doldrums, who knows.
    You must live on a different planet than me. Have you read the threads where even people working in carrier stores believe blackberry is going out of business? Just because 100 people on Crackberry are holding out for a BB10 phone doesn't mean millions are. I would like to see the data on demand if anyone has it.

I sincerely hope that BB10 is a success, but there are too many threads where people are putting the cart before the horse and then, on top of it, predicting the fall of Apple soon.
    12-06-12 01:00 PM
    Yeah the point was not that Apple is tanking, more that perhaps their stock price is plateauing or perhaps headed for a decline. This could be read into the chart if you place some horizontal lines over the recent stock price graph to illustrate the trend. When analysing trendlines of stock prices, often analysts will say an upward trend may be at an end if the price breaks thru the lower trendline... is Apple there? Maybe, maybe not, it is just one of many indicators.

Attachment 127455

Similarly, analysts may say a downward trend may be at an end if the price breaks thru the upper trendline. For BlackBerry, the downtrend looks like it may have been broken. Of course anynew uptrend will depend totally on whether BB10 succeeds sufficiently.

Attachment 127456

No doubt, Chris U. would laugh at this rough analysis but it is AN indicator.
    Please marry me.
    If that's you on the pic and you can hold this analysis I REALLY need to meet you.
    Love what you wrote.
    And you are right.
    Arguably Apple will plateau, ebb, diminish. Looking at its precipitous drop in '09 is what I believe to be an expectation of the 3GS launch. I believe that its recent dip is twofold....a correction of meteoric and unsustainable growth and a hesitancy to jump on the iPhone 5. I have not made that jump. I am waiting to see what the next model brings.
    RIMM shows market reaction to the expectation that BB10 proves, in actuality, what it shows on paper. My personal and professional hope is that they will execute on the hope. My fear is their disastrous PB launch, their flawed 99xx device software issues, and their historic inability to capture the public's mood and desire.
    I am very cautious about getting my hopes up.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    12-06-12 01:52 PM
    If you ook at the scale on both sides of the posted chart, it is some sort of bastardized, logarithmic-like scale. It makes an Apple swing from $700 in September to $550 ($-150 over a couple months) look like nothing, and RIM's peek of $144 to $6 look awful, and the now up to $11 look insignificant. Fact: If you bought Apple at $700 in September you have lost $150 per share in value. If you invested in RIM at that same time you are up $5 per share. If if you invested in RIM in June 2008 compared to Apple in September 2012 you have lost less. If you invested in Apple 2008, you are up still. Scaling/perspective can make good look great and poor look awful.

Right now Apple has to live up to a $700 per share price with Wall Street, RIMM does not. Just do a quick search on APPL and see what the negativity is around the stock and markets faith in a non-Job's led stock and all the articles asking if Apple can still innovate. No one is saying Apple won't make tons of money still, at least near term, and they have tons of cash, but they have to hit home runs now every call, show crazy unsustainable growth every quarter, or have a huge fall in stock price, where RIMM can simply go back to their old peak sales and the market will reward investors with likely the stock price double what it is now.

Do you think Apple will get to $1400 per share? Do you think RIM will go to $22 per share? Which is more likely? Which is going to show higher growth in sales percent quarter over quarter?

Personally I just want RIMM to sell enough to be considered successful in the market again and shut up all the "analysts" so RIM can focus on what they do more and what Wall Street thinks less. Personally I don't want APPL to fail either because I prefer their laptops and desktops to the alternatives.
    12-06-12 03:34 PM
    the image you provided us was for Northern America, and not Global. correct?
    12-06-12 03:54 PM
    If you ook at the scale on both sides of the posted chart, it is some sort of bastardized, logarithmic-like scale. It makes an Apple swing from $700 in September to $550 ($-150 over a couple months) look like nothing, and RIM's peek of $144 to $6 look awful, and the now up to $11 look insignificant. Fact: If you bought Apple at $700 in September you have lost $150 per share in value. If you invested in RIM at that same time you are up $5 per share. If if you invested in RIM in June 2008 compared to Apple in September 2012 you have lost less. If you invested in Apple 2008, you are up still. Scaling/perspective can make good look great and poor look awful.

Right now Apple has to live up to a $700 per share price with Wall Street, RIMM does not. Just do a quick search on APPL and see what the negativity is around the stock and markets faith in a non-Job's led stock and all the articles asking if Apple can still innovate. No one is saying Apple won't make tons of money still, at least near term, and they have tons of cash, but they have to hit home runs now every call, show crazy unsustainable growth every quarter, or have a huge fall in stock price, where RIMM can simply go back to their old peak sales and the market will reward investors with likely the stock price double what it is now.

Do you think Apple will get to $1400 per share? Do you think RIM will go to $22 per share? Which is more likely? Which is going to show higher growth in sales percent quarter over quarter?

Personally I just want RIMM to sell enough to be considered successful in the market again and shut up all the "analysts" so RIM can focus on what they do more and what Wall Street thinks less. Personally I don't want APPL to fail either because I prefer their laptops and desktops to the alternatives.
    You clearly don't understand enterprise and stock value. The percentage of market value lost is what matters.

I will note that I believe Apple's stock price has been overstated for awhile. I happen to also believe they will continue to be successful for quite some time. Not to say RIM won't. I hope RIM comes back but odds are against them.
    12-06-12 06:21 PM
    Yesterday, Apple's shares took a 6.4% hit, their largest decline in 4 years. Not good when they have just launched several new products over the past 2 months.
    A photo of an iPhone case has emerged today that is different to the current iPhone 5. It seems that the replacement iPhone 5S could be on the way. Could Apple be repeating the iPad scam, where a newly released product was replaced after just 6 months?
    On The Gadget Show here in the UK this week, the iPhone 5 took a real kicking in a comparison to the HTC One X+ and the Nokia Lumia 920. I'm hoping that the fact that the show is now sponsored by Microsoft did not have anything to do with their change from previous iPhone worship.
    The review is from about 13:00.

I don't think that BB10 will ever outsell the iPhone but it's clear that Apple will need to do something much more than an iPhone 5S next year.
    12-06-12 06:29 PM
    If you look at the scale on both sides of the posted chart, it is some sort of bastardized, logarithmic-like scale.
    The reason we use a logarithmic scale for the vertical axis is so that the slope of a line will always show the same % change in the stock price regardless of whether you are looking at the lower or upper range of the vertical scale.

If I had managed to make those lines straight (the hokey, wiggly ones I superimposed on the stock price charts posted by the op), the lines would indicate the same % change regardless of the price level. The use of the log scale allows you to quickly see whether a small $ change or a large $ change in the price is a small or large percentage change, especially when comparing to an earlier or later period.

It's not like I invented this to fool someone. It is a standard analytical tool used in all fields where understanding relative percentage changes over a wide range of values is important. In fact, the method is used to prevent people from drawing the wrong conclusion about relative changes from a standard scale chart.
    12-07-12 10:32 AM
    So the people who buy iPhones are sheep...is that what you say? Isheep.....

On the side bar you list as your devices a Craphone 5.....in other posts you refer to Apple as crapple.....

So considering that there is an iPhone 5 in your list of devices aren't you also an Isheep?

Pot....meet kettle.....
    As soon as the new BB10 is out i am buying it and getting rid of the POS iphone which i was forced to get for work. It's the most non productive phone i have ever used and will be the last iPhone i ever use. (Typing on it sucks, multi tasking is the ****s, battery life is horrible, reception is crap and i could go on) Not like a person has much choice to buy a new one. Either Android or Apple is all my company allowed. Only got an apple so some itard will pay a high price when i dump it. So far from calling the kettle black

Isheep buy it as a statement not as a choice. They want to look hip and cool by having what others consider "Cool". It's not the best phone on the market far from it, just the usual Apple marketing making you think it rocks.

As for crapple, what have they really done to it since iphone 4, beside a bigger screen faster processor and ram. Nothing. IOS6 still sucks IMHO, months later maps still blows and nothing has been fixed. "It's AMAZING"
    Last edited by SparkyBC; 12-07-12 at 12:06 PM.
    12-07-12 11:53 AM
    As soon as the new BB10 is out i am buying it and getting rid of the POS iphone which i was forced to get for work. It's the most non productive phone i have ever used and will be the last iPhone i ever use. (Typing on it sucks, multi tasking is the ****s, battery life is horrible, reception is crap and i could go on) Not like a person has much choice to buy a new one. Either Android or Apple. Only got an apple so some itard will pay a high price when i dump it.
    Isn't that a charming post.

Let's see....9900/9930, 9810, 9790, 9860/9850, 9360/9370....those are all current BBs, depending on carrier.
    Those are all available.
    There is also the Lumia 920.
    In other words, there are choices other than iPhones. Which makes your choice still illogical, considering the derision with which you refer to Apple, its products, and its customers.
    Of which you are one.

reeneebob and pantlesspenguin like this.
    12-07-12 12:05 PM
    As soon as the new BB10 is out i am buying it and getting rid of the POS iphone which i was forced to get for work. It's the most non productive phone i have ever used and will be the last iPhone i ever use. (Typing on it sucks, multi tasking is the ****s, battery life is horrible, reception is crap and i could go on) Not like a person has much choice to buy a new one. Either Android or Apple is all my company allowed. Only got an apple so some itard will pay a high price when i dump it. So far from calling the kettle black

Isheep buy it as a statement not as a choice. They want to look hip and cool by having what others consider "Cool". It's not the best phone on the market far from it, just the usual Apple marketing making you think it rocks.

As for crapple, what have they really done to it since iphone 4, beside a bigger screen faster processor and ram. Nothing. IOS6 still sucks IMHO, months later maps still blows and nothing has been fixed. "It's AMAZING"
    Ok....here we go. I understand this is a BB fan website, but statements like this, no disrespect, make you seem childish. Words like itard and Isheep really aren't necessary

So you're saying that the millions of people that own iPhones are ALL only buying them because they're making a statement and not because they actually like the features it has to offer? If that's the case, I think you're kidding yourself. No doubt it's a trend right now and that's why "some" people buy it, but let's not take away from a phone that's easily on top of many people's picks as best smartphone of "pick any" carrier
    12-07-12 12:25 PM
    It's astonishing the Apple detractors' inability to see that Apple has produced a phone that grabbed the consumer market outright. I love my iPhone. As I loved my - now MIA - Skyrocket. As I love ALL my BBS.....except the 9000....hated that one.
    Different devices, different markets, different consumers.

I need a Lumia 920.

(By the way, as one raging fanboi pointed out to me, I used to hate Apple too....until I gave the phone a real chance. Amazing things happen when you open yourself to new experiences.)

Rello and pantlesspenguin like this.
    12-07-12 12:42 PM
    I've never been a fanboi of any phone, but I've been a loyal user and supporter of Blackberrys for several years. I just recently bought my first iPhone 4s. I'm surprised how much I enjoy the iPhone. I use it a lot for work and personal. It's a good solid device that works well. I'll be hanging onto both my 9930 and the 4s.
    12-07-12 01:21 PM
    I've never been a fanboi of any phone, but I've been a loyal user and supporter of Blackberrys for several years. I just recently bought my first iPhone 4s. I'm surprised how much I enjoy the iPhone. I use it a lot for work and personal. It's a good solid device that works well. I'll be hanging onto both my 9930 and the 4s.
    I use both every day, and I find that each has its strengths and each has its weaknesses.
    Love BBM, notifications, and profiles on my BB.
    Love the whole experience of the iPhone, from the feel and quality build of it to the smoothness of the OS and how it does everything I ask it to do. NO checkerboarding, smooth, fluid.
    Loved my Skyrocket....so easy to get it to be exactly how I wanted it to be, customised just as I wanted it. *sigh*
    12-07-12 01:32 PM
    I keep hearing that Apple's share price is too high. What is this opinion based on?

AAPL has a P/E of 12. Over the past year they made 2x the profits of Dell, Acer, Intel, HP, Asus, and Lenovo COMBINED. They made $7 billion more than Amazon, Google, EBay, Facebook, and Microsoft, and Yahoo COMBINED. 4x Nokia, RIM, HTC, and the mighty Samsung (refrigerators and all) combined.

So based on the criterion of, you know, making money, it seems to me that AAPL is considerably under-valued.

(It is amusing to note, speaking of over-valued, that AMZN's P/E is 2515. If Amazon had started on the day the Battle of Thermopylae was fought, they would only now have earned their market-cap.)
    Last edited by Eumaeus; 12-07-12 at 06:28 PM.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    12-07-12 01:47 PM
    I truly wish everyone here on crackberry had a open mind like u and qbnkelt. CrackBerry would be a much better place to visit. Some won't admit it, but IPhones do offer many advantages over any current BB
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-07-12 05:10 PM

Enough, and grow up. You're behaving like a child. Until you can post without name calling and denigrating people about their choice in a CELL PHONE your opinion is worthless.

Oh, and kudos for you on being in the hearts and minds of everyone who had bought an iPhone and knowing their reasons why. Here I thought I got my iphone 4 because it was a solid phone. Thanks so much for telling me what I really think.

Flowed from mah heart using SwiftKey Flow Beta from the Galaxy S3, jellybean style
    Rello, Eumaeus and pantlesspenguin like this.
    12-07-12 05:12 PM
66 123