http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...irst-time.html good article. proves the point i used to rave to people about, how in around 3 years the iphone hype will be over
    12-04-12 06:08 PM
    I doubt that BB10 demand is increasing at the moment, but we can hope that it will, after launch. I think the Samsung Galaxy S3 television ads in the US have been very smart about portraying the iPhone as "your parents' smartphone". Siri was the last iPhone innovation, and my impression is that it hasn't held people's attention. I may be wrong about that. I think the iPhone is now seen as very solid and "safe"--justifiably so--but no longer "cutting edge". The decline mentioned in the article isn't huge by any means, and it may reflect the fact that a relatively small subset of the smartphone using population cares about the cutting edge.

But BB10 will, I believe, unquestionably be seen as cutting edge, so RIM stands to get a fast bump in sales from people who are looking for that, in addition to us crackheads. I don't think it'll be a huge bump, but I think it'll be enough to put them back on the board in North America.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-04-12 06:19 PM
    sorry but 88% of current iphone owners, even down 5%, is tremendous. Sure the androids, specifically samsungs, are stealing a couple people here and there but overall that pretty much means that apple still has a terrific backing and while some might call iOS stale, its still the most satisfiying mobile experience for 10 of millions of people.
    12-04-12 06:26 PM
    I hope RIM management does not make the mistake of buying into this type of narrative or else it will be lights out.

RIM does not have a prayer of siphoning off enough Apple customers to stay relevant, so by default RIM needs to get their head and resources behind another strategy; a viable strategy.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-04-12 06:28 PM
    I hope RIM management does not make the mistake of buying into this type of narrative or else it will be lights out.

RIM does not have a prayer of siphoning off enough Apple customers to stay relevant, so by default RIM needs to get their head and resources behind another strategy; a viable strategy.
    Maybe you should apply for the CEO position? Watch and learn young Jedi

Let's revisit this in a few months.
    12-04-12 06:47 PM
    The story of apple. This part is called the "denouement".
    12-04-12 07:37 PM
    iPhone owner loyalty declines for first time - Telegraph good article. proves the point i used to rave to people about, how in around 3 years the iphone hype will be over
    88% means the "hype" is over?
    12-04-12 08:49 PM
    The story of apple. This part is called the "denouement".
    If 88% is indeed the "denouement," that bodes very well for Apple. Maybe you meant something like "end of the third act."
    12-04-12 08:54 PM
    The sheep finally are waking up to being fleeced for a half product since iphone 4. 4s should have been the 5. But suckered Isheep into buying the 4s that wasn't ready. Months later the 5 comes out. For the delays it's still a nothing special and actually a step back. The days of apple being a juggernaut are coming to an end. The OS is lack luster and stale.
    12-04-12 08:56 PM
    The sheep finally are waking up to being fleeced for a half product since iphone 4. 4s should have been the 5. But suckered Isheep into buying the 4s that wasn't ready. Months later the 5 comes out. For the delays it's still a nothing special and actually a step back. The days of apple being a juggernaut are coming to an end. The OS is lack luster and stale.
    People have been saying this about Macs, iPods, iPads and iPhones for awhile. Planning on some grand so-called anti-apple awakening is a failing strategy.

Not working for Ultrabooks
    Not working for mobile phones
    Not working for tablets
    Didn't work for MP3 players...

So now BB10 is supposed to be the magical product that puts Apple to sleep? Never happen.

However RIM doesn't have to play Apple's game. Apple doesn't have to be a factor at all. All RIM has to do is make a successful product with great hardware, great software, with the services the public wants. Furthermore, Apple is the least of RIM's problems. If RIM targets Apple they will get crushed by the larger threat which is android by a large margin.

Android is growing by eating RIM's, Nokia's, Window's and dumb phone market share, while Apple's share is largely static.

An Apple fixation would be fatal, and I pray RIM is not that myopic, because I want another fully integrated, vertical. smart phone maker to be viable.
    Attached Thumbnails iphone demand falling, bb 10 demand increasing i hope :')-idc-smartphones-2012-market-share.jpg  
    ubizmo, Drew808, Cesare21 and 6 others like this.
    12-04-12 10:04 PM
    while some might call iOS stale, its still the most satisfiying mobile experience for 10 of millions of people.
    Is it really the most satisfying or are many of those millions followers and do things for status? I hear people complain about the iPhone but still has one. I see people still don't know how to use all its functions after having it for year but still uses it. I know a person with only five apps, but still has an iPhone because his wife got it for him.

Apple's success isn't all about the phone itself. It's called trends. Just like with clothes - if everyone is wearing sage green, sage green is the trend.
    12-04-12 10:51 PM
    Is it really the most satisfying or are many of those millions followers and do things for status? I hear people complain about the iPhone but still has one. I see people still don't know how to use all its functions after having it for year but still uses it. I know a person with only five apps, but still has an iPhone because his wife got it for him.

Apple's success isn't all about the phone itself. It's called trends. Just like with clothes - if everyone is wearing sage green, sage green is the trend.
    This is where blackberry was three years ago. No higher to go. Your at the top and now what? The fall begins. Apple doesn't have a qnx up their sleeve though
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-05-12 01:35 AM
    Isn't Apple falling into the same situation with RIM? There isn't a big difference between iPhone 4 and 5, even though phone sales rep will tell you there is. RIM didn't make many big changes between their devices for a while. Anyway, isn't Samsung the big thing now?
    12-05-12 05:15 AM
    I Don't think iPhone's demand fall down, Actually now days Blackberry's demand is low..
    12-05-12 05:39 AM
    This is where blackberry was three years ago. No higher to go. Your at the top and now what? The fall begins. Apple doesn't have a qnx up their sleeve though
    QNX is like.... 30 years old.... QNX obviously didn't turn QNX Systems into a Microsoft competitor. It didn't do much for the Playbook either. Why would anybody expect it to change those outcomes in 2013?
    12-05-12 05:43 AM

In their most recent survey, iPhone topped J.D Power's smartphone satisfaction study..... again..... by a wide margin..... again....

iPhone tops J.D. Power satisfaction survey ... again | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
    12-05-12 05:46 AM

You're going to always have customers that dislike your product (you can't make everyone happy), however Apple's customer satisfaction is second to none. How is the IPhone's success not based on the phone? It has an awesome camera, great browser, along with the ability to download load high quality business/entertainment applications.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    12-05-12 05:51 AM
    Let's not discuss selling devices that weren't ready, shall we? Lest we have to discuss the Playbook.

And is the isheep comment really necessary? Does it lend any credence to your argument that the iphone 4S wasn't ready? Because judging by the sales, I would say that more than a couple of people thought it was ready.

As far as the OS being lack luster and stale....yup, it needs a major overhaul. But even with a major overhaul, care to discuss how many iPhone 5s sold and compare it to the 9900/9930?

The people opening their wallets and giving millions to Apple seem to feel the devices are ready enough and not stale enough to keep them from buying them.
    12-05-12 05:53 AM
    I don't think anybody's said the 4S wasn't a "ready" product. There were some questions about the iPhone 5 and it's maps app, but nothing like that concerning the 4S. Also, the iPhone 5 came out a year later, not "months," and it was never delayed. It's quite possible the days of the Apple juggernaut will come to an end, but I don't think any reasonable person thinks it's coming any time soon. Soon being the next couple of years.
    12-05-12 06:01 AM
    All companies rise and fall. Some bring themselves up out of near extinction and some disappear. Apple will lose its powerhouse status and we'll see what happens. They already came out of near collapse through Microsoft assistance. But I'll bet a pint of Guinness that it won't happen next year. RIM will not obliterate Apple in 2013.

But...to pin your company's hopes for resurgence on your competitor's loss of preeminent status is a sure way to fail yourself.
    12-05-12 06:06 AM
    RIM does not have a prayer of siphoning off enough Apple customers to stay relevant, so by default RIM needs to get their head and resource behind another strategy; a viable strategy.
    Not sure why the media is so bent on talking about RIM's need to get people to switch from iPhones except for the sake of a story.

They were on top of the world with less than 11 million customers when the iPhone came out in the press's eyes; and 'on death's door' with 80 million. I'm betting they aren't going down the really hard path of getting iPhone users to switch and instead focus on (in this order):

1. upgrading as many of the 80 million BBOS users
    2. getting some upgraders from flip phones to smartphones ... since the flip phone market still dwarfs the smartphone market in many places. This is why the smartphone market is still growing
    3. getting some of the previous BlackBerry switchers back ... the ones that liked the BB and may not be particularly loyal to the platform they switched to. We're all smartphone nuts, but I've seen quite a few people that don't have the same loyalty in any platform

I seriously doubt RIM will go out and do a campaign directly at iPhone and Samsung Galaxy users to try and get them to move over.
    12-05-12 06:25 AM
    How is the IPhone's success not based on the phone? It has an awesome camera, great browser, along with the ability to download load high quality business/entertainment applications.
    I said that ALL the success in not based upon the phone itself. Its a trend. People want what other people have and dont want to be left out.

I didnt bash the iPhone so dont take it that way. So sensitive.

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    12-05-12 06:43 AM
    Not sure why the media is so bent on talking about RIM's need to get people to switch from iPhones except for the sake of a story.

They were on top of the world with less than 11 million customers when the iPhone came out in the press's eyes; and 'on death's door' with 80 million. I'm betting they aren't going down the really hard path of getting iPhone users to switch and instead focus on (in this order):

2. getting some upgraders from flip phones to smartphones ... since the flip phone market still dwarfs the smartphone market in many places. This is why the smartphone market is still growing
    3. getting some of the previous BlackBerry switchers back ... the ones that liked the BB and may not be particularly loyal to the platform they switched to. We're all smartphone nuts, but I've seen quite a few people that don't have the same loyalty in any platform

I seriously doubt RIM will go out and do a campaign directly at iPhone and Samsung Galaxy users to try and get them to move over.
    That's exactly it, Rim had a big slice of a very small piece, now they have a small slice of a very very big pie.
    12-05-12 07:07 AM
    What we've learned is that the demand for iPhone has fallen from very high to very high, but not quite as high. That's interesting, and significant in being a first reversal in demand, but it's not going to make a major difference to anyone unless the demand continues to fall at a similar or greater rate. I do think that the perception of the iPhone has changed, from "cutting edge" to "established and safe", as I stated above. This is an inevitable consequence of success. Success is the very thing that makes a product "established" and "safe". But there is that segment of the population who are attracted to cutting edge products. If the iPhone is going to lose any actual or potential users to RIM, the cutting edge people will be the first wave. This could be very good for RIM, and no more than a minor annoyance to Apple.
    Roo Zilla, Specwire and mithrazor like this.
    12-05-12 07:35 AM

The media compares RIM to Apple because they used to be the top dog (kinda like comparing your new girlfriend to your ex) and want to see what RIM has up their sleeves. Even with 80 million customers Android activates 1.3 million devices per day and I don't have the source but I'm sure Apple is not far behind. The smartphone market is still growing but how many flip phone and old users will automatically switch to BlackBerry just because of the new OS? Most of the remaining flip phone users I know still have no idea what android is but they have heard of the iphone and GS3. As far as a marketing campaign RIM will have to go after someone and let users know that the new BlackBerry can do "this" better than your current IOS, WP8 or android phone otherwise what demographic will you market these devices to?
    12-05-12 07:59 AM
66 123