I'd rather type in my number each and every time. I would never want my computer or phone to remember my credit card details.
    06-08-14 01:05 PM
    If BlackBerry was the one introducing this instead of Apple, all those posting sarcastic comments would be licking John Chen's feet right now. Really depressive.

Posted via CB10
    John Chen doesn't develop... silly comment

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 02:31 PM
    John Chen doesn't develop... silly comment

Posted via CB10
    He'd be the one to yay or nay the implementation.
    06-08-14 10:26 PM
    Seems useful and convenient. I'm sure when BB10 is able to do it, it will be deemed ok by this forum, just like everything else.
    No when BlackBerry can do it, you WILL be confident your data is safe, otherwise Goodluck with the Potluck

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 11:11 PM
    Seems useful and convenient. I'm sure when BB10 is able to do it, it will be deemed ok by this forum, just like everything else.
    Yep, and then they will say Apple is copying BB.

I was responding to the comment that a user could choose to just type the credit card number once and be done with it, and so this is no big deal. But some customers don't want their card numbers stored on some third party server(s), so for them being able to scan their card each time could be very helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There's a lot of things going on that I don't like. That doesn't mean they stop. Whether one likes it or not, their card number is being stored on a third party server. It's more secure than handing your card over to the pretty waitress at your favorite restraint.

So this is just like using scan to text app, scan credit card, copy number, paste on the website. I've been doing that since Christmas (when we received scan to text as a gift from blackberry) not that I use this every day (I still type faster than the time it take to take a picture), unless there is something I miss about this?
    No, it's nothing like that. It's snap a quick pic and your information is "magically" filled in. You don't cut and paste anything.
    06-08-14 11:51 PM
    All this feature does is take a picture of the credit card and OCR the information off of it and fill it in the blanks for you. It's simply a time-saver, because if you have the card, you can easily type this information in manually - it will just take a bit longer. It's nothing revolutionary, and it doesn't affect security in any way (as long as the data isn't stored), because the data would be entered either way. It's simply a neat convenience.
    If BlackBerry was the one introducing this instead of Apple, all those posting sarcastic comments would be licking John Chen's feet right now. Really depressive.

Posted via CB10

Correct me if i'm wrong but this uses the iPhone camera to scant he card right?

1. Doesn't iPhone camera have backdoor access already and can leak information?

The NSA has nearly complete backdoor access to Apple's iPhone
    Leaked Documents Show NSA Could Tap iPhones, Apple Denies Involvement - ABC News
    Report: The NSA Can Secretly Activate an iPhone�s Microphone, Camera� and That�s Not All | TheBlaze.com

2. Isn't this a security issue especially with hackers/malware moving to the iphone like SSL heart bleed (yes I know it was on BB10 but now patched but iOS still isn't)
    This makes this credit card info almost available to anyone.
    Heartbleed OpenSSL bug: FAQ for Mac, iPhone and iPad users | The Mac Security Blog

I would never use a service that is not paypal.

Anyways this is just another feature that Apple is claiming as their own (they invented it). Paypal has had this feature forever.
    https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader
    06-09-14 12:35 AM
    Yep, and then they will say Apple is copying BB.

There's a lot of things going on that I don't like. That doesn't mean they stop. Whether one likes it or not, their card number is being stored on a third party server. It's more secure than handing your card over to the pretty waitress at your favorite restraint.

No, it's nothing like that. It's snap a quick pic and your information is "magically" filled in. You don't cut and paste anything.
    i don't think you exactly get why these people are commenting.

Storing any info on any iOS device is less safe then giving your card to a pretty waitress. Malware/viruses are starting to come to Apple any they are obviously showing they can't handle it.

Cyber fraud is way more common then actual fraud.

I trust apple with their security just as much as I trust their maps.. PayPal has had the same feature for a while now https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader. I think I'd rather stay with PayPal.
    06-09-14 12:37 AM
    All this feature does is take a picture of the credit card and OCR the information off of it and fill it in the blanks for you. It's simply a time-saver, because if you have the card, you can easily type this information in manually - it will just take a bit longer. It's nothing revolutionary, and it doesn't affect security in any way (as long as the data isn't stored), because the data would be entered either way. It's simply a neat convenience.
    Well said. Can't be more clearer

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    06-09-14 12:41 AM
    You bring way too much common sense into this thread. ;-)

Anyways this is just another feature that Apple is claiming as their own (they invented it).
    Source?

Doesn't iPhone camera have backdoor access already and can leak information? […]
    Isn't this a security issue especially with hackers/malware moving to the iphone like SSL heart bleed (yes I know it was on BB10 but now patched but iOS still isn't)
    You are throwing so much rubbish into this thread, that it’s not even worth to go into it. If you had read your own link (the last one), you would have known that iOS wasn’t even affected by Heartbleed on a system level, because it used a different crypto library. Heartbleed was a problem for every system or server that used the affected OpenSSL library. Storing confidential information on a server is always risky, as the transmission would have to be safe (Heartbleed) and the data securely stored. PayPal has had it’s share of compromised accounts too. How you can dismiss this against an iOS feature that doesn’t even store your billing information is beyond me.
    06-09-14 03:12 AM
    This is an option. It's not mandatory that it be used. Some would use it, as would I. It's a choice.

I've bought things with my credit card when the transaction took place on an iPad that had the attachment to be able to swipe the card. It was incredibly convenient and my account wasn't cleared of the next day, week, month, or year.

Technology results in changes in how we do things.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    06-09-14 03:33 AM
    I say if the competition is putting functions like these into their devices, it's based off that the fact that the consumer has asked for it.

I thought the whole purpose of building a consumer product was to produce something that has the bells and whistles the customer has asked for???

As far as security is concerned, nothing and I mean nothing that has been software encrypted is 100% safe, period. They are still finding security holes in almost every OS platform and corporate servers out there every day.

Credit and debut cards have become a way of life for every consumer out there and every time you scan the card, you have placed your data onto a server somewhere out in cyberspace and are you absolutely 100% positive that the server that now holds your data is 100% secure, I don't think so.

Send from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    Dmessenger likes this.
    06-09-14 05:31 AM
    Uber cabs app have already this feature!
    06-09-14 05:33 AM
    iPhone cameras to soon scan & save credit card information - iPhone cameras to soon scan & save credit card information - The Times of India

What's BlackBerry initiative in getting banking in browser more simpler?

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    iPhones and Android device currently can scan credit cards with a device you plug into the headphone jack. Since both iOS and Android devices aren't as secure as BBRY devices I would trust anyone who wanted to scan my credit card.
    06-09-14 10:52 AM
    Seems like a great way for an ID thief to have a field day. As a victim of Card ID theft (a server stole the information when she took the card away to process my bill) I can tell you this is a "feature" I'm not a fan of.
    06-09-14 11:38 AM
    I can choose not to save it, but the store clerk/restaurant server that takes a crafty photo of my card might not feel the same way. Obviously they can just take a photo of the card now and have the info, but still, seems a little too easy to me.

I don't know, i'll have to think about it for a bit. I guess it's really just expanding on the way the iPhone will already scan an itunes gift card using the camera and save me the trouble of typing in that code.

You can choose not to save the card, in which case it is the same as typing the card number into the form yourself, but easier.

If you do save the card on current gen iPad or iPhone, it does actually save it in the hardware encrypted enclave that they introduced in the A7.

In an older iPhone, though, the security is not as strong of course. And knowing Apple, they may have screwed something up , but until further analysis that seems to be how it is working in this early iOS8 build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-09-14 11:40 AM
    No when BlackBerry can do it, you WILL be confident your data is safe, otherwise Goodluck with the Potluck

Posted via CB10
    I'm not worried either way, and I wouldn't save the info on the device no matter what brand it is.
    06-09-14 11:47 AM
    I'm not worried either way, and I wouldn't save the info on the device no matter what brand it is.
    Good thinking

Posted via CB10
    avt123 likes this.
    06-09-14 12:18 PM
    I have a feeling if Blackberry had it.... well, you know.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Isn't it loyalty? You support the brand that you like and reject any others.

Btw, BB does have credit card scanning feature - it was implemented long before apple announced it.
    You need an NFC enabled credit card (yeah, I know, US shoppers still write checks at registers - when will tech reach there?) and then go to Settings -> Payment Options -> Add New Credit Card and then tap your CC against back of the phone and voila. As far as I understand, such scanning is limited to that settings page as of 10.2.1 but they could put it into browser and other forms.
    06-25-14 10:37 PM
68 123