Hey guys, i don't know if this is a stupid question or not but i have an iphone and a blackberry and i love bbm but i love my iphone is there any way i can use my iphone but some how tether or something like that to still have bbm on my bb
    06-22-11 09:18 PM
    Nope.
    06-22-11 09:21 PM
    Even if there was a way to tether the phones together using just the iPhones data plan (there isn't) you would still need a BlackBerry Data Plan. To use RIM's services (BBM, etc) you need to be connected to RIM's servers, which can only happen with that BlackBerry Data Plan.
    06-22-11 09:56 PM
    Hey guys, sorry to revive this, but I have the same question.

If you have a blackberry data plan, I was reading that bbm will work over wifi, because it has nothing to do with the cellular company but with blackberry and your bb.

isnt this essentially the same thing? cant I connect my iPhone to my bb and have my bb use bbm over " wifi "... will email work?

I still have my bb data plan with rogers. If i put in my sim into my bb bbm will work.
    12-05-11 05:14 AM
    You can probably use BBM over wifi, but I suspect the BLackberry would need a SIM card in it with an active BIS account. In other words, you would need two cellular accounts to achieve what you want.

To put a new twist on the concept, you could probably use a hotspot on another phone when roaming to use your Blackberry to get email and BBM while abroad.
    Last edited by robsteve; 12-05-11 at 06:40 AM.
    12-05-11 06:35 AM
    To put a new twist on the concept, you could probably use a hotspot on another phone when roaming to use your Blackberry to get email and BBM while abroad.
    well thats what im saying, is this possible?

i wanna tether my iphone to my bb and use bbm and email.
    12-05-11 03:53 PM
    well thats what im saying, is this possible?

i wanna tether my iphone to my bb and use bbm and email.
    I tried an experiment this afternoon and the only way it will work is if you have an active sim in your phone that has BIS service on it. Even then, since I don't have an iPhone to try, the wifi connection of the iPhone may not be able to get a BIS connection through to the Blackberry.

Do you have two sim cards to give it a try yourself or a friend with a iPhone to try it with? You will need the sim with BIS on it in your Blackberry.

In the end, you cannot do what you are originally asking, that is use one sim card in the iPhone and no Sim card in the Blackberry.
    Last edited by robsteve; 12-05-11 at 04:08 PM.
    12-05-11 04:05 PM
    well yeah this will work as long as you don't remove the sim card from the Blackberry phone and also before you go into hotspot the data services have to be working
    on the the BB.
    I tried this before the only thing is that once its picking up wifi from ur phone or another hotspot once you loose the signal the BIS will go and not come back until it sees internet over the blackberry data plan itself.
    dunno if this made sense.
    This worked for me when I went international.
    once I lost my first wifi connection. I couldnt connect to BIS with Wifi so I switch
    back to my carriers data until it picked up BIS from the BB itself then switched it back to wifi.
    really a hassle to tell you the truth, but works
    12-05-11 04:11 PM
    well yeah this will work as long as you don't remove the sim card from the Blackberry phone and also before you go into hotspot the data services have to be working
    on the the BB.
    I tried this before the only thing is that once its picking up wifi from ur phone or another hotspot once you loose the signal the BIS will go and not come back until it sees internet over the blackberry data plan itself.
    dunno if this made sense.
    This worked for me when I went international.
    once I lost my first wifi connection. I couldnt connect to BIS with Wifi so I switch
    back to my carriers data until it picked up BIS from the BB itself then switched it back to wifi.
    really a hassle to tell you the truth, but works
    That's surprising. I was in China a few months back and I had a local SIM card on an Android and used thenot spot to tether my BB. My BB had its data cinnection set to off and it never failed to grab BB services over the hotspot. Of course my BIS SIM was in the BB.
    12-05-11 05:05 PM
    as long as you don't remove the BIS sim you should be ok. once you change the sim to another one something with the settings gets changed and it won't work anymore.

so some people who need to access BB services when they go abroad, if a local BB prepaid sim service is unavailable, use their BB's when connected to wifi. it will work as long as you don't change the sim. the moment you swap the sim and put the original sim back it's hit or miss afterward, but generally no. i was able to after switching it once out of many times.
    12-06-11 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD