I'm getting a new cell phone in two weeks, and I am currently leaning (Strongly) towards getting the new Blackberry that comes out on 11/4 (Blackberry 9000 aka The Bold). I have never owned a Blackberry, or an iPhone, so I have nothing to compare with. I wanted to know what everyones opinion on the two phones are, and if you have had any issues with them in the past. Share whatever you can, or want, as I have up to two weeks to decide. Thanks for any insight.
    10-23-08 08:47 PM
    You BETTER get a Bold or I'm coming to hunt you down!! jk. I've played with my friends IPhoney and couldn't bring myself to like it! But really, you're asking a bunch of BB addicts whether you should get a BB or a IPhoney!? You'll see the majority will tell you to get a Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 08:53 PM
    all iphone's base are belong to blackberry

10-23-08 08:59 PM
    Main thing to consider is if you want a full touch screen or a physical keyboard. If that doesn't matter than think if you want to use the fone for messaging or browsing the web and apps. BB is by far the best device for the former while the iphone is hands down the best in the latter category imho!

10-23-08 09:02 PM
    Check out the "iPhone 3G" forum on Crackberry and see what others are saying for a somewhat unbiased opinion. I'm sure that this has been covered before extensively. If you must have a touchscreen, why not wait for the Storm and go check that out too.
    10-23-08 09:15 PM
    yeah its going to be hard not to get an unbiased opinion out of here bc we are all addicts as was said above, but we are perfectly within our right; none of us would be addicted to an inferior product. the iphone is more of a cool gadget, toy dare i say. a blackberry just does it all and a bold, oh man, that's the cream of the crop right now
    10-23-08 09:21 PM
    I have been using an iPhone for the last 2 years. First the regular iPhone and now a 3G. I'm going back to BB. I used to own an 8700 which I replaced with the iPhone.

If you are planing on using multimedia/game apps and web then the iPhone beats the BB heads down. The UI on the iPhone is way better too.

If you are an email power user or need to type a lot then the BB is much better.

Just my 0.02
    10-23-08 09:59 PM
    I see the iPhone as a novelty item. Eventually, the novelty wears off and you're left with a mediocre phone. However, the novelty of the blackberry never seems to wear off. The bb just seems to work the way you think it should work. Get the best of both worlds, buy the BB Bold and an IPod touch

10-23-08 10:09 PM
    There is a huge list of things the BlackBerry can do that the iPhone can't. If the iPhone someday can do all of these things, it will seriously be a perfect phone. I'll try and list the things the BlackBerry can do that the iPhone can't:

1. Copy and Paste
    2. MMS
    3. Forward MMS and SMS
    4. Delete individual SMS and MMS messages
    5. Create folders to move applications icons into
    6. Create folders on phone to move photos into
    7. Applications can run in the background
    8. Many GPS apps with turn by turn
    9. Light flashes to indicate missed calls/SMS/MMS/email with customizable colors
    10. Individual calls can be deleted from call log
    11. Use of themes to change appearance
    12. SMS/MMS can use any tone, even ringtones used for the phone
    13. Search through email by subject and sender
    14. Search contacts, address book, memo pad, tasks and calendar.

I'm sure there are more features as well but this is enough for now.

I started out using the original iPhone then moved up to the 3G. Gave up the 3G when I tried showing a friend a photo and couldn't even get 3G without rebooting the phone. 10 minutes later, I was able to download the photo in my email. MMS could have solved prevented this very quickly but there is no such function on the iPhone.
    10-24-08 12:58 AM
    How does one customize the led color? I thought that was impossible. But to the OP I'd check out the storm when it comes out if you want a touch screen!

10-24-08 01:17 AM
    BBAlert allows you to change the color of the LED.
    10-24-08 01:20 AM
    I really hope you decide to go with the bold. It really depends on what YOU want. Play with them both in store.

10-24-08 01:34 AM
    I'd pick the BB over the iPhone any day of the week. My friend has an iPhone and it really does not stack up.
    10-24-08 05:59 AM
    I didn't like the iPhone, and have heard it has a lot of bugs / incompatibilities.
    10-24-08 05:59 AM
    But then again, aren't most of us here a little biased
    10-24-08 06:00 AM
    Javelin
    10-24-08 06:05 AM
    I have been (past-tense) a total flake. My history...

8300 > iPhone > 8800 > iPhone > 8310 > iPhone > 3G iPhone > 8310...

...and patiently waiting on the Bold to drop to AT&T.

The iPhone is a great device...for what it is.

The BlackBerry is a great device...for what it is.

It comes down to what your priorities are...

A) Multimedia: Music player, video player, games, movies, huge screen...

iPhone

B) Communication: Email, SMS/MMS messaging, BBM, plus all the multimedia skills of the iPhone...

BlackBerry

For me, having been there and done that...the best choice is the phone that does everything well...BlackBerry.
    Last edited by davistld01; 10-24-08 at 06:40 AM.
    10-24-08 06:31 AM
    I have been (past-tense) a total flake. My history...

8300 > iPhone > 8800 > iPhone > 8310 > iPhone > 3G iPhone > 8310...

...and patiently waiting on the Bold to drop to AT&T.

The iPhone is a great device...for what it is.

The BlackBerry is a great device...for what it is.

It comes down to what your priorities are...

A) Multimedia: Music player, video player, games, movies, huge screen...

iPhone

B) Communication: Email, SMS/MMS messaging, BBM, plus all the multimedia skills of the iPhone...

BlackBerry

For me, having been there and done that...the best choice is the phone that does everything well...BlackBerry.
    You are forgetting to tell the OP that even though the Bold can do the same multimedia options the iPhone can do, it is no where near the same quality.

Browsing the internet- Mobile Safari KILLS all competitive smartphone browsers available. No browser (besides the storm browser) is remotely close to how good Mobile Safari is.
    Music/Video- Ever use an iPod Touch? Same thing. RIM devices are not as in depth as Apple when it comes to music/video.
    Games-There have been articles comparing the iPhone to a PSP, and even saying it has the potential to be a lot better due to the app store. The iPhone already has a ton of games and other apps for purchase, and for FREE. And don't think just because some apps are free they are garbage, a lot of them are extremely good quality. BB apps are usually decently expensive and don't look half as nice.

And of coarse you know the screen on the Bold is obviously not as big. Both phones do have a very sharp display though.

It is all really a matter of taste. People will sit here and argue all day that the BB has faster email, and I will tell you that is wrong (if you are using a push email service for the iPhone) because I have both. They are equal in speeds, sometimes the BB is faster, sometimes the iPhone is faster.

As for viewing/reading/writing email, the iPhones email app is amazing. No other device has such a rich html email app. Viewing emails on the iPhone is a very pleasurable experience. As for writing, you have to get use to the keyboard. For some it takes a while and for others it is just natural. It really is a "skill" you will have to acquire, I mean it is a touchscreen and all, there are no physical keys.

The iPhone does not have a messenger like BBM, but it does have Beejive and AIM and a lot of others. BBM is awesome, I liked it on my BB, but as you know it only works with other BB users so there is a limit to it.

The choice has NOTHING to do with priorities, the iPhone is NOT just a toy. It is hard to find straight forward answers about the iPhone on this forums because, of coarse, this is a BB forum, so don't let the bias sway you to the BB, the choice is yours in the end.
    10-24-08 11:04 AM
    hey bro i got a bold and is sounding weird i dont know how can i do for fix it, i dont know if is wet or was exposed it in cold ambience, if you got a idea please help me to fix it
    10-24-08 02:34 PM
    I never had a smart phone before and my bold is my first one. I never thought of getting the I phone cause I aleardy own a ipod. The only feature I like about the iphone is how we can zoom in and out with my fingers. I love my bold and I don't think I can like an iphone more than this.

10-24-08 02:49 PM
    I have an iPhone 3g (on it right now) && it has crashed 3 times trying to write this damn post. It's not a reliable phone whatsoever && doesn't have near the capabilities that a blackberry has. This was my first attempt at breaking my BB addiction and honestly it didn't work. There is mo other phone with the reliability BB has. Blackberry may be a little behind on their improvements, but they're catching up fast&& strongly believe they will out-do apple (I hope)
    10-24-08 03:57 PM
    I have an iPhone and a BlackBerry (Curve.) Both are awesome phones. Each has its strengths and weaknesses and I've had no issues with either one of them. Try 'em both out and see which YOU prefer. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
    Last edited by charliej66; 10-24-08 at 05:47 PM.
    10-24-08 05:38 PM
    I have an iPhone and a BlackBerry (Curve.) Both are awesome phones. Each has its strengths and weaknesses and I've had no issues with either one of them. Try 'em both out and see which YOU prefer. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
    Exactly. Both are great phones, it is just a preference.
    10-25-08 12:41 AM
    I just gave my iPhone to my Daughter-in-Law and getting the Bold if that tells you anything.
    You BETTER get a Bold or I'm coming to hunt you down!! jk. I've played with my friends IPhoney and couldn't bring myself to like it! But really, you're asking a bunch of BB addicts whether you should get a BB or a IPhoney!? You'll see the majority will tell you to get a Bold.

10-25-08 01:10 AM
    I have an iPhone 3g (on it right now) && it has crashed 3 times trying to write this damn post. It's not a reliable phone whatsoever && doesn't have near the capabilities that a blackberry has. This was my first attempt at breaking my BB addiction and honestly it didn't work. There is mo other phone with the reliability BB has. Blackberry may be a little behind on their improvements, but they're catching up fast&& strongly believe they will out-do apple (I hope)
    Either you have a lot of tabs or the most likely answer, you aren't using the wap version of these forums.
    10-25-08 02:53 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD