It depends on your focus. If apps are your primary concern, then go with the iPhone. If text, email and phone calling are your primary focus, then go with a Blackberry such as the Passport. The real issue for me is the Hub, which is the actual answer to the iPhone user's prayers for the "One inbox to rule them all".

And with the BlackBerry's ability to load and run Android apps thru the Amazon Appstore and Snap, then app counts aren't a real issue. The battery life for my Passport runs to two full days with heavy usage, monitoring 4 email accounts, Linkedin and Twitter. Try that with an iPhone. I had an iPhone at work, and found iOS to be somewhat clunky and old fashioned.
    12-29-14 10:40 AM
    It depends on your focus. If apps are your primary concern, then go with the iPhone. If text, email and phone calling are your primary focus, then go with a Blackberry such as the Passport. The real issue for me is the Hub, which is the actual answer to the iPhone user's prayers for the "One inbox to rule them all".

And with the BlackBerry's ability to load and run Android apps thru the Amazon Appstore and Snap, then app counts aren't a real issue. The battery life for my Passport runs to two full days with heavy usage, monitoring 4 email accounts, Linkedin and Twitter. Try that with an iPhone. I had an iPhone at work, and found iOS to be somewhat clunky and old fashioned.
    6+ gets me two days on moderate use, 18h if playing a crapload of games and messaging. The 6 and 5s will not get 2d except on very light use .
    12-29-14 11:41 AM
    Funny enough, but I'm a long-time BB user on T-Mobile. I picked up an iPhone 5 last year after two of my Bold 9900 phones were stolen and "upgraded" to the 6 when it was released.

First of all, the IP6 is a beautiful phone. However, once you spend time with it you realize that it's a bigger/wider ipod touch with calling capabilities. For my wallet, the bigger screen was not worth $650+

IOS8 was and continues to be a buggy piece of crap that screws with your apps, but it takes great pictures. Just when I was thinking I should just stick with it because BlackBerry may belly-up any day now, I realized that I lost ALL of my photos through iMessage because it's been corrupted for many users. They apparently have just gotten a 'team of engineers' to work on it even though it's been a problem since iOS8 has been released.

iOS8 has been the nail in the coffin for iphones for me. I've since sold my 6 and plan on coming back to BB (the CLASSIC) next year.

If free in-flight wifi is important to you, then go choose an iPhone. We've all got to buy what's best for us in the end.

For myself - who is always interested in getting things for free - I'd use a call app on my ipod or my Skype account to make in-flight calls.
    12-29-14 11:47 PM
    If I were leaving BlackBerry the biggest thing I would consider is can you live without the Hub? Playing around with other platforms I find I miss the Hub more than anything. There really isn't anything else like it.

Outside of that I think all 4 of the major players do it all well and you really can't go wrong.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 03:21 AM
    I have been a BB user for a long long time and still love my BB Z30 but lately been thinking about moving to the iphone. I do a lot of international travel and the TMobile iphone offers free in-flight texting and Wi-Fi calling, which is nice. Thoughts / advice - what should I do?
    Want some honest advice?

Don't ask this question on CrackBerry...
    12-30-14 03:22 AM
    If I were leaving BlackBerry the biggest thing I would consider is can you live without the Hub? Playing around with other platforms I find I miss the Hub more than anything. There really isn't anything else like it.

Outside of that I think all 4 of the major players do it all well and you really can't go wrong.

Posted via CB10
    I agree about the BlackBerry Hub, I have tried going back to IOS and/or Android, but I find myself missing the Hub. There is nothing else like it out there, I also find myself trying to use swipe commands to wake up the device and now have got used to gesturing, that dam home button seems like a useless and time consuming device that slows me down.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    gfondeur likes this.
    12-30-14 04:27 AM
    6+ gets me two days on moderate use, 18h if playing a crapload of games and messaging. The 6 and 5s will not get 2d except on very light use .
    Now I know you are speaking BS

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 05:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    Actually he's speaking the truth. The 6Plus has phenomenal battery life. You can hammer the battery on it and it will easily last well into the second day. I carry both the 6plus and the Z30 and the 6Plus easily gets better battery life. Passport is better than both of them but it might get an hour or two more than the 6plus. At least that's the usage I got when I had the Passport.
    eyesopen1111, Chrisy, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    12-30-14 07:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    How do you "know"? Used one for 3m? The battery size: power consumption ratio of the 6+ is relatively much better than those of the two smaller phones in regular use.
    LazyEvul and BB_Junky like this.
    12-30-14 08:23 AM
    Iphone 6 on one condition. I never see this post again!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 08:33 AM
    @OP. After owning so many BlackBerries, it would be easy to say stick with your Z30 because it is awesome. However, you may want to at least try the 6 so that you have no regrets. I feel that anyone should purchase the device that suits their needs.

Z30 STA100-5 on 10.3.1.1949
    12-30-14 09:14 AM
    I have a BlackBerry Passport and an iPhone 6 Plus. I get a minimum of two days battery use with the 6 Plus. I'll get three days if I don't have social media (Instagram and Twitter) installed
    12-30-14 09:14 AM
    How do you "know"? Used one for 3m? The battery size: power consumption ratio of the 6+ is relatively much better than those of the two smaller phones in regular use.
    Ah no. A friend of mine has it and consistently complains about the battery life being horrible.

So you guys must be not using them to get that sort of battery life.

But thanks anyways

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 09:42 AM
    does ipad make phone call??? he need a international phone to make calls...BB should had put all band in their phone so we don't need to carry 2
    WiFi calling... is made with just WiFi no? And iPads can use sim cards too...

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 09:44 AM
    I have the iPhone 6 and a Passport. I haven't owned the former for too long, but I find that it's generally quite good at everything the Passport is bad at, but also quite bad at everything the Passport is good at. The iPhone has an excellent camera, a huge portfolio of well-designed apps, and is extremely snappy (that A8 processor is a beast). And though BlackBerry doesn't really have a counterpart to this, I feel it's worth mentioning that Touch ID is actually quite fantastic.

However, the email app is terrible compared to BB10, and both the calendar and contacts app could use a bit of improvement too. It's also, rather obviously, missing the Hub. And maybe I've just become too used to the enormous width of the Passport, but I feel like the virtual keyboard is not that great - I could swear I had an easier time typing on my Z10 and Z30. Basically, it doesn't feel like a communications-first device the way my Passport does, but all those shiny new things we've begun to expect from smartphones over the years, it does quite brilliantly.

As for battery life, keep in mind I haven't owned it too long, but so far it seems that the battery life will last you a full day in most circumstances. Just don't expect much more without going up to the 6 Plus. The Passport, on the other hand, regularly lasts me two days, and I have gone as far as four days on a single charge (though this was light usage with WiFi around all the time).

In a perfect world, I'd just carry both of them with me all the time. But I don't want to spend the money on a second SIM card, even if it's data-only, and I don't get enough WiFi to make that work without one.
    12-30-14 09:48 AM
    I must confess - I really don't understand these threads.

You know what you need a phone for and are smart enough to tell whether or not a particular phone meets your personal needs or not. None of us are you, so does it matter what the ranting of fanboys of any platform think, especially since none of us know your needs?
    TGR1, web99, gfondeur and 1 others like this.
    12-30-14 11:11 AM
    For a moment I thought I was in iMore or something... reading these comments....
    Go full Passport... or do you want an ugly, bending, weak signal, inferior sound, unsafe, buggy, battery wimp, hub-less iPhone?!
    After all how much time do you spend in the air-plane?! Take that time to relax... listen to the fabulous sound of your Passport with some Bose earphones... and Relax!
    Lol. That's mean. I've had the iPhone 6 Plus and it was the best phone I've own all year. And this is coming from a guy who's own 18 smartphones this year. Yes, you read that right. It's my addiction.

Posted from my Q10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    12-30-14 11:18 AM
    I must confess - I really don't understand these threads.

You know what you need a phone for and are smart enough to tell whether or not a particular phone meets your personal needs or not. None of us are you, so does it matter what the ranting of fanboys of any platform think, especially since none of us know your needs?
    He just needs some reassurance on his future device, lots of people go through that when trying to decide which to try.... Always in search of best of the best. Good luck OP!

Pearl 8100->Pearl Flip->Storm->Torch 9800->Torch 9810-Bold 9900->Iphone 3g->Iphone 4g->Z10->Samsung S3->Z30->HTC m8->Note 4
    devin266 likes this.
    12-30-14 12:07 PM
    depends on the users needs, and why would anyone want a phone that has looked the same for 8 years, has the hardware of a mk1 android and bends in half, not even kids like iphones
    12-30-14 02:45 PM
    For a moment I thought I was in iMore or something... reading these comments....
    I think we sometimes get tired of recommending the virtues of BB10 only to hear someone say, "I don't like it because it doesn't do FaceTime!" iPhone is a simple recommendation to low information and low patience people. BlackBerry has always required some intelligence and diligence to appreciate.
    gfondeur likes this.
    12-30-14 03:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    Add Blend to the list too. I am using it more and more and it has been great. I was also able to copy and paste information from Blend to MS Word. BlackBerry has really done a great job with it.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    Alain_A likes this.
    12-30-14 05:08 PM
    He just needs some reassurance on his future device, lots of people go through that when trying to decide which to try.... Always in search of best of the best. Good luck OP!

Pearl 8100->Pearl Flip->Storm->Torch 9800->Torch 9810-Bold 9900->Iphone 3g->Iphone 4g->Z10->Samsung S3->Z30->HTC m8->Note 4
    That's right. For a lot of people, buying a smartphone is an investment.

I spent a few weeks before deciding to buy a Z30. It is my personal phone that I have to pay from my own pocket. My employer has been abandoned BlackBerry but still keeping BES. Perhaps they are waiting till the last BB device to be decommissioned. My work phone, a BB Curve, will be decommissioned next month and as the replacement I will get either iPhone or Galaxy Note.

So, next month I will create one thread like this.... ;-)
    12-30-14 05:35 PM
    That's right. For a lot of people, buying a smartphone is an investment.

I spent a few weeks before deciding to buy a Z30. It is my personal phone that I have to pay from my own pocket. My employer has been abandoned BlackBerry but still keeping BES. Perhaps they are waiting till the last BB device to be decommissioned. My work phone, a BB Curve, will be decommissioned next month and as the replacement I will get either iPhone or Galaxy Note.

So, next month I will create one thread like this.... ;-)
    if you have a choice go with the note just for the pen
    12-30-14 06:29 PM
    I love the BlackBerry OS, LED, physical keyboard, but I've gotten used to useful apps; they really do make the phone more functional. So, I would suggest going with iOS if you're looking to do more with your device. If you can get by using a BlackBerry, stay there.

If you use NO apps, then BlackBerry. But personally, in addition to communication, I use my phone to book flights, make reservations at restaurants, as turn by turn GPS solution, to manage a Facebook business page, mobile boarding tickets, mobile banking, etc.

The BlackBerry app situation is still bleak. The Amazon App Store itself is pretty sluggish and the apps, the same. Native BlackBerry apps works much better, but there aren't many useful ones. I couldn't find a decent POI app, and that's so basic.

Mobile sites aren't the answer. For example, mobile site for BOA doesn't have alerts or mobile deposit.

I've been using a BlackBerry Q10, and while I appreciate it for what it is, a great communication device, it just isn't as smooth or quick as iOS. I have found slower loading times, some apps force closing (BlackBerry apps, such as Poynt), and the Android Apps are just not that great running on BlackBerry. That's just been experience so far.

You'll hear a lot of users on here saying they don't need apps when there's mobile sites, meanwhile, they are asking for APKs or asking if this or that app runs or can be loaded.

I might be in the minority but I also find app switching with BlackBerry 10 to be less efficient than iOS. 8 open apps is the limit. I much prefer the app switching of legacy devices. I so love the gestures though! iOS app switching is faster by just double pressing the home button and selecting the app. As far as the multi tasking argument, it's just the ability to switch quickly really. Your focus can only be on one thing at a time in reality. It's not much of an argument.

I wish BlackBerry would get all the apps that Apple has so I could make the switch.

Today as I was using the Q as my daily driver I had the thought that BlackBerry gets the job done, just not very gracefully. It takes work arounds, some frustration, little sluggishness, and sometimes just admitting the BlackBerry can't do it.

Three CrackBerry members (that use different platforms), including me, used only our BlackBerry phones today as test to compare who our usually phone. We shared our experiences in a group BBM room. Was pretty eye opening.
    Last edited by Chrisy; 12-30-14 at 07:42 PM.
    12-30-14 07:08 PM
    Is this Chrisy that used to be a MOD, when I was a MOD?

Anyway, she is dead right in her post above! BlackBerry have geared more towards the business market lately, and that has left the general day to day consumer in the wind. A shame really. To me, if BlackBerry, well the developers of apps, went all in and started making the common day to day apps for BlackBerry OS, 10 in particular, there would be no stopping BlackBerry.

I guess over the next few years, we'll see how this all pans out.

In answer to the thread, yes, if you need the latest apps to function, then iOS might be the one for you. I don't need or have to have the latest apps, so I'm always going back and forth between my BlackBerry Passport and my iPhone 6 Plus.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-31-14 06:54 AM
117 12345