Hi, just to share a short story, I was yesterday in Germany with a business colleague, having breakfast in the morning down of the direct sun, about 30 degrees C. Me with my passport , him with the IPhone 6, both replying to emails and phone calls for about half an hour, then all of the sudden he wanted to make a phone call but his phone was not responding and got a screen message that the phone couldn't be used because he got warm! Also any other action not allowed, the same message kept going on.
    I have borrowed to him my passport to let him done his job (and of course laughing about the fluent use of his IPhone! )

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    06-13-15 11:16 AM
    Okay?

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-13-15 11:17 AM
    BlackBerry 10 does do this sort of, slows everything down I believe, just at higher battery temps
    06-13-15 11:22 AM
    While it's possible that the Passport is constructed and designed with heartier components that are more heat resistant, it's likely that that the components in any smartphone are pretty much the same in this regard. Perhaps the iPhone 6's more compact structure and decreased surface area doesn't dissipate internally generated heat as easily. Or, perhaps the metal frame retains more heat.

Your friend's iPhone 6 simply disabled itself in order to protect the device from heat while your Passport didn't. Given that there are some glue problems that can result in Passport screen detachment, it might have been a good thing.
    06-13-15 12:06 PM
    Similar experience with my iPhone 6. Whenever it gets hot in sunlight, it dims the screen more and more until it's difficult to read. I have to get it into shade for a few minutes before it'll brighten up again.
    06-13-15 12:41 PM
    Interesting, I never the iPhone did this.
    06-13-15 12:50 PM
    Interesting, I never the iPhone did this.
    Me neither until last weekend while sitting in the sun. I replicated it with a friends phone too.

Then I read this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201678
    06-13-15 12:56 PM
    This goes to show the thoughts Apple put into engineering their products. After reading the support page I can't help but be impressed.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 01:02 PM
    Umm... a phone failing to work in moderate heat is not a good thing people....it is what is called an ifail.

Passport was fine in identical conditions. That is called a pass....port.

Same thing happens up north hinterland where I go and the iPhones and androids don't get reception and the z30 does. BlackBerry wins but all you hear about is lack of apps.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 01:12 PM
    Umm... a phone failing to work in moderate heat is not a good thing people....it is what is called an ifail.

Same thing happens up north hinterland where I go and the iPhones and androids don't get reception and the z30 does. BlackBerry wins but all you hear about is lack of apps.

Posted via CB10
    The point is not that whether the phone fails to work in moderate heat, Apple is being honest about the limitation of its product. Yes, you can say the phone is just more delicate than others, but again, Apple never made the claim that the phone could withstand operation in stressful environment. Apple can be weaselly too, but not too often, not as often as BlackBerry that often refuses to acknowledge a problem until it becomes a fiasco. The fanboyism is strong indeed.
    06-13-15 03:30 PM
    And to be fair, I'm using a black case with mine which I'm sure adds to the heat. Used without a case it's much easier to keep cool.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 03:56 PM
    Apple can be weaselly too, but not too often, not as often as BlackBerry that often refuses to acknowledge a problem until it becomes a fiasco. The fanboyism is strong indeed.
    "You're holding it wrong"

"With normal use a bend in iPhone [6+] is extremely rare"

Also look up: MacBook Pro (2011 model) recall and iMessage phone number disassociation lawsuit. And then come back to CrackBerry to wag your finger at "fanboyism."
    06-13-15 04:08 PM
    The point is not that whether the phone fails to work in moderate heat, Apple is being honest about the limitation of its product. Yes, you can say the phone is just more delicate than others, but again, Apple never made the claim that the phone could withstand operation in stressful environment. Apple can be weaselly too, . . .
    "having breakfast in the morning down of the direct sun, about 30 degrees C"

Since when is 30 degrees C considered a "stressful environment"? Maybe to an iPhanboi, but not to normal people.
    acovey, lift, brian4591 and 4 others like this.
    06-13-15 04:35 PM
    While it's possible that the Passport is constructed and designed with heartier components that are more heat resistant, it's likely that that the components in any smartphone are pretty much the same in this regard. Perhaps the iPhone 6's more compact structure and decreased surface area doesn't dissipate internally generated heat as easily. Or, perhaps the metal frame retains more heat.

Your friend's iPhone 6 simply disabled itself in order to protect the device from heat while your Passport didn't. Given that there are some glue problems that can result in Passport screen detachment, it might have been a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    Moderate heat? Identical conditions?

I've had my Passport sitting (cooking?) on my dash fully exposed to the tropical summer sun (sun coming down at a 90 degree angle, that's a right angle, and nothing throws a shadow at noon), battery temperature was 45C and higher (50C?), I could barely hold the thing, but it just kept working...
    Temperature outside probably 36C, more inside the car before the aircon kicked in...

Never any issues, and we have some extreme temperatures (and sun) up here in Tropical North Queensland, anything you leave out in the sun (in summer, well, the monsoon season) for more than 10 minutes gets so hot you can barely touch it, especially black stuff.

:-D

Sorry iPhone, the Passport wins, even with the disadvantage of being black (most models sold?)...

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    Meshdow, acovey, brian4591 and 2 others like this.
    06-13-15 04:36 PM
    And to be fair, I'm using a black case with mine which I'm sure adds to the heat. Used without a case it's much easier to keep cool.

Posted via CB10

So I'm guessing the iPhone cool factor is a miserable failure at least for the 3 months of summer?
    06-13-15 04:38 PM
    So I'm guessing the iPhone cool factor is a miserable failure at least for the 3 months of summer?
    I'm not sure I understand the"cool factor" part, but if you're asking if the iPhone is usable in summer - yes for me so far. Mine has never shut down like the OP mentioned, so far mine just dims the screen more than usual when exposed to direct mid_afternoon summer sunlight for awhile.
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-13-15 05:09 PM
    Being done exceptionally well here...

The iPhone is super thin with far less openings for releasing heat, plus it is a complete metal shell, it is bound to heat up quicker, and its good to know it will take measures to cool down before components get damaged. With the build quality issues BB has faced, I'd be worried that the BB didn't give any warning as that heat may have weakened the double sided tape and done damage that may pop up in the future.
    Chrisy and mikeo007 like this.
    06-13-15 05:13 PM

And google the words "23% iPhone cracked screen"

BB, Still the One
    06-13-15 06:10 PM

Also look up: MacBook Pro (2011 model) recall and iMessage phone number disassociation lawsuit. And then come back to CrackBerry to wag your finger at "fanboyism."
    Raino.... you took my ' holding it wrong ' quote I was gonna use. Regardless good reply.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 06:25 PM
    Moderate heat? Identical conditions?

I've had my Passport sitting (cooking?) on my dash fully exposed to the tropical summer sun (sun coming down at a 90 degree angle, that's a right angle, and nothing throws a shadow at noon), battery temperature was 45C and higher (50C?), I could barely hold the thing, but it just kept working...
    Temperature outside probably 36C, more inside the car before the aircon kicked in...

Never any issues, and we have some extreme temperatures (and sun) up here in Tropical North Queensland, anything you leave out in the sun (in summer, well, the monsoon season) for more than 10 minutes gets so hot you can barely touch it, especially black stuff.

:-D

Sorry iPhone, the Passport wins, even with the disadvantage of being black (most models sold?)...

Well they say that the planet is getting warmer and that last year was the warmest everywhere except eastern north America where it has been much colder over the last 2 years. I love hot weather but guess where I live?
    Give me some of that tropical Queensland weather so I can test out the BlackBerry heat tolerance.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 06:34 PM
    The point is not that whether the phone fails to work in moderate heat, Apple is being honest about the limitation of its product. Yes, you can say the phone is just more delicate than others, but again, Apple never made the claim that the phone could withstand operation in stressful environment. Apple can be weaselly too, but not too often, not as often as BlackBerry that often refuses to acknowledge a problem until it becomes a fiasco. The fanboyism is strong indeed.
    I may stretching here, but I assume when you plunk yer $1,000 down on the shiny new iPhone, that the sales rep doesn't warn you about the phone not working in 30 degree weather, which isn't all that stressful. If one of my bikes or my car shut down in 30 degree weather, I would not be happy.

Perhaps it is the thin build, but if such relatively common situations encumbers the phone, I would call that a flaw.

Posted via CB10
    acovey and John Villareal like this.
    06-13-15 06:48 PM
    Passport made in Mexico...? Right? :-D

z10Jobe likes this.
    06-13-15 06:49 PM
    Passport made in Mexico...? Right? :-D

I believe so but I don't own one so I don't know for sure. And as far as I know, it is hot in Mexico.
    The limited edition one was made in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 06:57 PM
    Apple has a history going onto almost 40 years and all throughout that long history you'll find that they have chosen thin and sexy over the practical. You'll find heat issues going back all the way to even before the Mac, that is 31 years.

The choice, then, is simple: either figure out a way to throttle power consumption when temperature rises or cause a breakdown or fire.

I suppose we must commend Apple for not burning their customers. Apple is anticonsumer alright but their modus operandi is fleecing not BBQ.
    06-13-15 08:15 PM
    Apple has a history going onto almost 40 years and all throughout that long history you'll find that they have chosen thin and sexy over the practical. You'll find heat issues going back all the way to even before the Mac, that is 31 years.

The choice, then, is simple: either figure out a way to throttle power consumption when temperature rises or cause a breakdown or fire.

I suppose we must commend Apple for not burning their customers. Apple is anticonsumer alright but their modus operandi is fleecing not BBQ.
    Okay... some historic perspective and clarity.... the classic form versus function conundrum .... thank you for your input.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 08:25 PM
68 123