When rim fudge the numbers about BB10 sales I am sure everyone here will be demanding detailed numbers on the first day of the preorder.

Then the pigs will come into land.
    09-15-12 07:13 PM
    ...I just repurposed...
    It is the word "just" that is the problem.

You are at risk of either (a) being bitterly disappointed if RIM doesn't hit a grand slam early next year, or (b, and worse) diminishing RIM's accomplishment if they do.

Everything is repurposed. There are only 117 elements. Electricity is the same for everyone. Any digital screen shows only red, green, and blue. So everything is repurposed, if you want to look at it that way.

But that would be silly.

You note that Apple had "help" from Samsung in their manufacturing. And they "just" repurposed things done earlier, in another context, by others. But what is your conclusion? Is it easy to make an iPhone? If it is so easy, why doesn't Nokia, Motorola, or HTC do the same� "just repurpose" a bunch of old crap, hire an ad agency, and, voil�, they're worth 650 billion dollars!

The innovation is in seeing something worth repurposing, and figuring out how to repurpose it for a new use, in the best possible way, at a price that is attractive to consumers while still ensuring a nice profit, and then communicating to the public a story about that product that makes it compelling.

So Stanley Kubrick showed his astronauts using something that looked a lot like an iPad, in his 1968 (!!) film. And Apple "just" copied it. But� and here's the innovation� no one else managed to do so effectively before Apple did.

When BB10 hits, if it is a success, it will be a success because RIM made a series of careful, thoughtful, and courageous decisions to "repurpose" a vast number of specific things� materials, manufacturing methods, software paradigms, logistical processes, advertising themes, not to mention an old, old real-time OS from 1982.

I hope they pull it off. If they do pull it off, it will represent a startlingly innovative product that is worthy of admiration.

When they pull it off, I, for one, won't be sitting here griping that they "just" repurposed X, Y, and Z. Nor will I nit-pick BB10 phones to death by noting each element that may have appeared somewhere, in some failed-and-forgotten product from the past. And customers won't either. They don't care if the components, the UI, or the images on TV ads are "repurposed." They want a portable computer that makes calls and performs other valuable services, ideally in a well-built, thoughtfully designed package offered at a reasonable price, and they want to be told how this particular device will enhance their lives.

I will be tickled pink if BB10 and its ecosystem are awesome and thrive. And anyone who cares about that, should be learning from what Apple has done right, rather than denying (in the face of every objective metric) their strengths and deriding (like petulant children) their products.

I've got a credit card warmed up and ready for January or February's release of what I hope will be a innovative package of repurposed components that combines the best of BlackBerry with imaginative new modes of use, ideally with a build-quality that (the result of pre-existing manufacturing techniques, repurposed in innovative ways) rivals the iPhone and is worthy of RIM's engineering pedigree.
    _StephenBB81 and HeezyBear like this.
    09-15-12 08:11 PM
    I don't have any high, low or under/over expectations for blackberry 10. I just want to see that it wows me.

Iphone doesn't wow me and I don't need all those apps. I don't even need skype or netflix. I know that microsoft isn't really going to give skype (since they bought them) to blackberry 10. Same for netflix, since I am beginning to think they don't give a rat's behind.
    09-17-12 12:19 AM
    I don't even need skype or netflix.
    You might not need them, I might not care (I don't) but in a round about way we do need them.

Popular apps make the platform look more interesting for consumers which in turn makes the platform more interesting for developers.
    09-17-12 12:25 AM
    You might not need them, I might not care (I don't) but in a round about way we do need them.

Popular apps make the platform look more interesting for consumers which in turn makes the platform more interesting for developers.
    Indeed it does, but as long as skype inc. (Microsoft Corp.) and netflix doesn't make an app for blackberry 10, then there won't be much we can do about it. All we can do is guess. It'll be up to those companies, including other major big apps that aren't in blackberry app world yet.
    09-17-12 12:29 AM
    Can anyone answer the question: Did Apple allocate an adequate number of units for pre-order, or was a publicity stunt created by setting the allocation deliberately low to ensure a shortfall against expected customer demand?
    Hard to say. All carriers are reporting record pre-sales, whether that means by numbers or speed of sellout remains to be seen. Apple also has to keep a large number around for 1st day direct sales. I'll predict 5 million 1st day/pre-sales combined. 10 million in the 1st 10 days (depending on availability).
    09-17-12 08:31 AM
    Apple - Press Info - iPhone 5 Pre-Orders Top Two Million in First 24 Hours

Looks like Apple sold 2Million iPhone5's
    which is doubling their previous iPhone 4S's 1 Million in the first 24h (with inventory running out)
    and the 600k of the iPhone4 in the first 24h (with inventory running out)

Given the fact the iPhone4S sold 4 Million the first week, and Apple has traditionally been near double each successive iPhone, having only 2 Million units available for PreOrder is either 1 deliberate or idiotic, and though I hate my iPhone more than any phone I've ever used, I certainly wouldn't call Apple an idiotic company.

My Hope is that RIM can see 10% of Apples success with BB10 launch, and NO Backorders/running out.
    IF RIM can get 200k BB10's sold in the first 24h that will be a very successful launch for them launching a brand new OS.
    09-17-12 08:32 AM
    2 million in 24 hours. Bit of a fail tbh
    mikeo007 likes this.
    09-17-12 08:58 AM
    It has to be either a deliberate policy to create more media publicity, or gross incompetence at Apple. To get caught short on the first launch would be understandable, two launches is questionable, but *every* launch???
    Third option: they had twice as many units ready to go as they did for the iPhone 4S and still sold out in 24 hours.

Apple records 2 million+ iPhone 5 pre-orders, constraining supply | Ars Technica
    "Apple announced on Monday that it has taken over 2 million pre-orders for the iPhone 5 within the first 24 hours of availability. That number is double the previous pre-order record set by the iPhone 4S last year, and has pushed online sales availability will into October."
    richardat likes this.
    09-17-12 09:32 AM
    My Hope is that RIM can see 10% of Apples success with BB10 launch, and NO Backorders/running out.
    IF RIM can get 200k BB10's sold in the first 24h that will be a very successful launch for them launching a brand new OS.
    I don't know if it's realistic for RIM to see 200k units purchased on day 1. Apple always has a huge front loaded boom of sales, whereas from what I've seen, RIMs sales stretch out over a longer period. I don't see massive preorders for BB phones, and I don't think that method actually suits them.

I hope BB10 isn't a "silent" roll-out like most other BB devices have been, but I also hope they don't go to Apple levels of hype.

That said, I think great sales numbers are attainable IFF BB10 is an excellent platform and word spreads about it. The 10% number might even be possible, but over a longer span than 24hrs.
    09-17-12 10:08 AM
    No. I am not trolling. Think about the specifications. How thick is the aluminum or glass going to be? The room for these specifications and all of the processors and wiring and battery are going to take up space. I can bend "aircraft grade aluminium" at that size. But, even though it is liquid, glass, of small thickness, or even up to 1mm can break easily.

What a poorly thought out post.

Mark my words: the I phone5 will go down as a complete failure, to consumers, due to the flaws.

The number to beat for the Samsung Galaxy III is more than 20 million units shipped within the first 100 days of release.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Keeping track of this prognostication.....the iPhone 5 will have to suffer catastrophic failures.
    Because as far as sales, it's beating the iPhone 4S.

iPhone 5 sets a sales record; 2 million pre-orders in 24 hours - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 09-17-12 at 12:14 PM.
    09-17-12 12:01 PM
    Keeping track of this prognostication.....the iPhone 5 will have to suffer catastrophic failures.

iPhone 5 sets a sales record; 2 million pre-orders in 24 hours - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
    Does anyone have the comparison, this year to last, on the number and locations of simultaneous roll out locations?

Just curious if we are comparing all things equal. (Didn't want to say apples to apples LoL)
    09-17-12 08:03 PM
    By comparison, a pretty thorough estimate has Nokia's first two Lumia phones sold about 330,000 units during their first quarter of availability, and that was with the 900 getting tons of backing from AT&T, lots of online hype, and an extremely aggressive price.

I'm not going to take anything for granted regarding the BB10 launch, but it is worth noting that high-end Blackberry phones are generally the most expensive devices on their carriers. And while the Lumia was competing against iOS and Android, BB10 will be competing against iOS, Android, and WP8. All of this is to say that I think a 200k launch for BB10 is overly optimistic.

And, of course, the iPhone 5 is already enormously, tremendously successful, and will continue to be ridiculously successful and make Apple absurd sums of money, and any prediction that something other than this will happen is insane.
    Doc Z likes this.
    09-17-12 08:27 PM

Mr dbollman423 is conspicuously absent since Saturday night.
    09-17-12 08:50 PM
    I think 2k units is entirely possible for an initial launch of BB10 phones. But (not that anyone is asking me), I'd like to see RIM take some, but not all, pages from Apple's script.

I think a big, splashy, meticulously orchestrated launch "event" would be good.

It would be even better if the phones went on sale immediately afterwards, without even the two-week delay traditional for Apple.

That would build confidence in RIM's ability to deliver. It would also take a lot of people by surprise, and provide cover for the (inevitable) failure of BB10 phones to reach iPhone-like numbers.

RIM can't be like Apple, at least not now. I think in their launch even they should send a message that "BB10 isn't for everyone, only for an elite few." Take an inevitable reality, and embrace it.

They should charge more... $399, $499, and $599 (on-contract).

This may sound crazy, but here is my thinking: Many people who are dying for a BB10 phone will pay it. Businesses that are committed to BB will pay it, since the up-front cost is inconsequential compared to long term cost-of-ownership.

Higher selling prices will keep pressure off (a) their production, (b) their margins, and (c) expectations. A $400 phone can't be expected to sell as fast as a $200 iPhone 5, and if RIM says up front "We charge more because our customers are serious professionals", then a longer, shallower adoption curve will have a narrative to explain it (as opposed to the narrative, "See, we knew it would crash", which the media is all ready to embrace, given any chance).

Also, the thing that should make Heins and everyone at RIM stay up at night in terror is not the iPhone 5. It is, as Om Malik pointed out, the free iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 looks like the iPhone 4S, and thus carries the same power as a status-symbol as the 4S.

If RIM makes a big deal about a $400 BB10 phone, and if BB10 phones are really good, then RIM will be able to compete higher in the market and won't be destroyed by the free iPhone 4 (and whatever huge Android phones carriers are pimping as freebies with contracts).

I keep saying this, but I really believe it: RIM can be successful, but I think they need to accept a much smaller market and a very shallow adoption curve. That means satisfying their fanbase and protecting their margins, even at the expense of market-share.

BB10 won't have a huge ecosystem to start. That is a given. The choice is to grow a quality ecosystem over the next few years, or try to scrape together a mess of low-quality apps (Hungarian fairy-tale ebooks, anyone?) really quickly. Aiming at consumers of free-with-contract phones won't result in app-buying users, and won't result in a good ecosystm. Being patient, aiming upmarket, and attracting people with real software needs--medical professionals, businesspeople, researchers, diplomats, etc.--with real money to spend, might attract high-quality apps (and make vertical market development worthwhile).

Of course, my own last serious entry into the world of commerce was selling chocolate bars to raise money for my middle-school, a thousand years ago, and I seem to remember needing a bailout package from my parents on that occasion, so perhaps it is wise that Heins hasn't been calling to ask my advice
    iankeiththomas likes this.
    09-17-12 08:51 PM
    200k launch is a ridiculous number. It will be significantly less, my guess is 50-100k. I seriously don't understand this irrational obsession with BB10. I'm all for rooting for your own team, but seriously, what planet do you live on if you think BB10 will be a viable option right off the bat? Understand that I'm not discounting BB10 as an OS - it may very well be an awesome OS, but even if that is somehow the case - it will take MONTHS to take off in the market. No one's trying to buy a new OS when they got iOS and Android that are the top 2 complete choices.

BB is now synonymous with "dead" or "old". Every time someone sees my BB they tell me they didn't know those things still exist. That is the perception that RIM has created. No new OS will fix that for a LONG time.
    Last edited by Doc Z; 09-17-12 at 08:56 PM.
    iankeiththomas likes this.
    09-17-12 08:54 PM
    Third option: they had twice as many units ready to go as they did for the iPhone 4S and still sold out in 24 hours.

Apple records 2 million+ iPhone 5 pre-orders, constraining supply | Ars Technica
    "Apple announced on Monday that it has taken over 2 million pre-orders for the iPhone 5 within the first 24 hours of availability. That number is double the previous pre-order record set by the iPhone 4S last year, and has pushed online sales availability will into October."
    Last year Apple sold 4 Million first week

SO For Apple to be Sensible and ANYONE building budgets and stocking predictions would think this way, Apples PreOrder sales if they didn't want to deliberately backorder would be equal atleast to the first week sales of 4 Million
    by doing 2 Million available units all they did was ensure they set a new record! ensure they have big demand on launch day, and make sure they can hit next years new record, and big demand on launch day.
    hpjrt likes this.
    09-17-12 09:06 PM
    I like where Eumaeus is going with his train of thought. It's definitely true that BB10 needs a niche. There isn't any point in trying to be all things to all people, because iOS and Android have that covered.

The price thing is interesting. The logic is kind of like how Sony tried to sell the PS3 - it's so good that you'll want to pay more for it. I don't think it'd work, but it's an interesting idea.

And of course, a firm, concrete launch date soon after the big announcement is absolutely critical.
    09-17-12 09:19 PM
    Last year Apple sold 4 Million first week

SO For Apple to be Sensible and ANYONE building budgets and stocking predictions would think this way, Apples PreOrder sales if they didn't want to deliberately backorder would be equal atleast to the first week sales of 4 Million
    by doing 2 Million available units all they did was ensure they set a new record! ensure they have big demand on launch day, and make sure they can hit next years new record, and big demand on launch day.
    If that is how it went down,...all I can say is Jobs picked a winner with Tim Cook. Evil genius, indeed.

But I really do believe it's as simple as "we built as many as we could and committed them to preorders while saving some for launch day."
    09-17-12 10:46 PM
    I have to reiterate some of the other comments. I want an LTE device. I've waited and waited for RIM but I'm not waiting anymore. An upgrade on another of my lines came due so I transferred it and pre-ordered the iPhone5. I don't expect BB10 to be out until the Fall '13 at this point. I can still get a decent amount of money for my 9930. By that time it won't be worth anything.
    I imagine that's a pretty good idea if you can get money for you BB now. After BB10 comes out, even BB faithful probably wouldn't want to buy an older device.
    09-17-12 11:00 PM
    I think 2k units is entirely possible for an initial launch of BB10 phones. But (not that anyone is asking me), I'd like to see RIM take some, but not all, pages from Apple's script.

I think a big, splashy, meticulously orchestrated launch "event" would be good.

It would be even better if the phones went on sale immediately afterwards, without even the two-week delay traditional for Apple.

That would build confidence in RIM's ability to deliver. It would also take a lot of people by surprise, and provide cover for the (inevitable) failure of BB10 phones to reach iPhone-like numbers.

RIM can't be like Apple, at least not now. I think in their launch even they should send a message that "BB10 isn't for everyone, only for an elite few." Take an inevitable reality, and embrace it.

They should charge more... $399, $499, and $599 (on-contract).

This may sound crazy, but here is my thinking: Many people who are dying for a BB10 phone will pay it. Businesses that are committed to BB will pay it, since the up-front cost is inconsequential compared to long term cost-of-ownership.

Higher selling prices will keep pressure off (a) their production, (b) their margins, and (c) expectations. A $400 phone can't be expected to sell as fast as a $200 iPhone 5, and if RIM says up front "We charge more because our customers are serious professionals", then a longer, shallower adoption curve will have a narrative to explain it (as opposed to the narrative, "See, we knew it would crash", which the media is all ready to embrace, given any chance).

Also, the thing that should make Heins and everyone at RIM stay up at night in terror is not the iPhone 5. It is, as Om Malik pointed out, the free iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 looks like the iPhone 4S, and thus carries the same power as a status-symbol as the 4S.

If RIM makes a big deal about a $400 BB10 phone, and if BB10 phones are really good, then RIM will be able to compete higher in the market and won't be destroyed by the free iPhone 4 (and whatever huge Android phones carriers are pimping as freebies with contracts).

I keep saying this, but I really believe it: RIM can be successful, but I think they need to accept a much smaller market and a very shallow adoption curve. That means satisfying their fanbase and protecting their margins, even at the expense of market-share.

BB10 won't have a huge ecosystem to start. That is a given. The choice is to grow a quality ecosystem over the next few years, or try to scrape together a mess of low-quality apps (Hungarian fairy-tale ebooks, anyone?) really quickly. Aiming at consumers of free-with-contract phones won't result in app-buying users, and won't result in a good ecosystm. Being patient, aiming upmarket, and attracting people with real software needs--medical professionals, businesspeople, researchers, diplomats, etc.--with real money to spend, might attract high-quality apps (and make vertical market development worthwhile).

Of course, my own last serious entry into the world of commerce was selling chocolate bars to raise money for my middle-school, a thousand years ago, and I seem to remember needing a bailout package from my parents on that occasion, so perhaps it is wise that Heins hasn't been calling to ask my advice
    I think that would be suicide, though I see your reasoning. Yes, they could accept being a small niche player....the stockholders would form a lynch mob, though there isn't much more to lose....and the developers probably wouldn't be too pleased either.

I think though if they priced high as you suggest, they run the risk of getting NO market. Yes, as you say, the BB faithful who are desperate will pay for it, but the number is small....and I'm not sure there will be all that many corporations "committed" to it either...given the big changeover.

To some extent this is what Apple has been doing as Android eats up the low end market. It can certainly work, and bring big profits obviously, but you better have a product that REALLY delivers something special. Even then, as with Apple, hard to say if this is a winning strategy long-term. RIM's reputation is so tarnished now, their cachet is not just diminished, it's negative. They need to deliver a blockbuster...to get into the thick of things, or even into a successful high-end niche. It's hail-mary time now.

I think if they fall into a small high end niche, even if margins are good for the small volume, it will be seen as a stop-gap to oblivion. Numbers will continue to fall, the company will shrink more....I think it will be, if not the end of RIM, the end of RIM as it was known.
    Last edited by richardat; 09-17-12 at 11:20 PM.
    09-17-12 11:18 PM
    Mr dbollman423 is conspicuously absent since Saturday night.
    Yes he is, although he hasn't been proven entirely wrong just yet. I'll wait for quarterly results before judging the success/failure of the new iPhone but it's off to a good start.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    09-18-12 05:44 AM
    If that is how it went down,...all I can say is Jobs picked a winner with Tim Cook. Evil genius, indeed.

But I really do believe it's as simple as "we built as many as we could and committed them to preorders while saving some for launch day."
    I'm a huge fan of Carl Sagan, and although attempting to read Contact was just too much of an exercise for me, I loved the movie. Out of it, I took Occam's Razor....paraphrased, "when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better."

Instead of seeing conspiracy theories and a company purposefully holding back potential sales, isn't it simpler to think that a company allocated a certain number of products for presale while saving some for launch?

They doubled what was sold last year. That was a prudent approach. My question was answered.

And while I may be labeled a turncoat by certain militant BB users, I would like to propose the idea that neither Apple not Samsung have to fail for RIM to succeed. And while some feel that loyalty to BB and disdain for other platforms is the only possible attitude to take on Crackberry, I propose that it is quite possible to prefer BB as a platform while enjoying features of another. For me, that realisation was a personal evolution, not a devolution.
    09-18-12 06:08 AM
    I'm a huge fan of Carl Sagan, and although attempting to read Contact was just too much of an exercise for me, I loved the movie. Out of it, I took Occam's Razor....paraphrased, "when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better."

Instead of seeing conspiracy theories and a company purposefully holding back potential sales, isn't it simpler to think that a company allocated a certain number of products for presale while saving some for launch?

They doubled what was sold last year. That was a prudent approach. My question was answered.

And while I may be labeled a turncoat by certain militant BB users, I would like to propose the idea that neither Apple not Samsung have to fail for RIM to succeed. And while some feel that loyalty to BB and disdain for other platforms is the only possible attitude to take on Crackberry, I propose that it is quite possible to prefer BB as a platform while enjoying features of another. For me, that realisation was a personal evolution, not a devolution.
    Again, logic? I have asked you to hold your tongue in the past, but you you still spew common sense.
    09-18-12 07:11 AM
    Again, logic? I have asked you to hold your tongue in the past, but you you still spew common sense.
    My apologies. I will try to cease and desist.

@deRusett - I have had great amounts of respect for you and have admired your keen understanding of the market. Looking at your current signature I am of a mind to remember that respect and admiration and let that be what I cherish about you instead of arguing with you. Be well.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-18-12 07:34 AM
538 ... 19202122
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD