What's with that?

http://crackberry.com/tale-tape-appl...nd-competition

Can anyone give a proper comparison - to the Torch? The 4S is a touch screen, after all.

- Rob.
    10-04-11 06:34 PM
    What's with that?

http://crackberry.com/tale-tape-appl...nd-competition

Can anyone give a proper comparison - to the Torch? The 4S is a touch screen, after all.

- Rob.
    Because the new Bold is also a touch screen?
    10-04-11 06:37 PM
    Because the new Bold is also a touch screen?
    I think he meant full touch vs full touch.
    10-04-11 06:59 PM
    I think he meant full touch vs full touch.
    Thanks. Sorry, I thought that had been obvious. I mean, comparing screen sizes has pretty limited value from full touch to partial.

Need to at least include the Torch and the Bold both.

- R.
    10-04-11 07:08 PM
    Haha I found it really funny that Engadget said: "RIM's not included here since it's still stuck in the junior leagues" in their comparison

iPhone 4S vs. the smartphone elite: Galaxy S II, Bionic and Titan -- Engadget

Couldn't be more true. The rest of the industry just doesn't take RIM seriously anymore.
    10-04-11 07:26 PM
    Haha I found it really funny that Engadget said: "RIM's not included here since it's still stuck in the junior leagues" in their comparison

Couldn't be more true. The rest of the industry just doesn't take RIM seriously anymore.
    They also said they made their comparison to phones "on the other major platforms".

That says it all. RIM <> major any more.

Sad, actually. We Canadians kicked a$$ and took the Olympic gold in hockey, but we've definitely lost it in smartphones. Oh well, maybe we can make a comeback.

- R.

- R.
    i7guy likes this.
    10-04-11 07:32 PM
    I really believe that some of the things that propelled the iPhone ahead of BB, like touch screen and apps, are beginning to slow in speed. There's not a whole lot more that can be done until the next breakthrough and the BB OS7 phones have closed the gap. Both platforms have their pluses and minuses and I feel quite convinced that I made the right choice in the 9810 as the one that fits my needs most.
    JasW likes this.
    10-04-11 07:45 PM
    they skipped the Torch 9850/60 bug included a Windows phone??? dont they have like 3% of the market?? and they call RIM a non major player.....
    Jake2826 likes this.
    10-04-11 08:37 PM
    Comparing Rim to Apple or Android is like comparing:

Atari vs Xbox 360

"Would you like to play a game." Great quote from war games.
    10-04-11 08:59 PM
    they skipped the Torch 9850/60 bug included a Windows phone??? dont they have like 3% of the market?? and they call RIM a non major player.....
    Well come on now, that's because WP is going to be a dominant platform. In 2015. Maybe. That speculation apparently weighs more heavily than the factual history of a company that practically created the smartphone market.

Oh, and WP has about 1.5% of the market.
    10-04-11 09:06 PM

Dang! I missed that Engadget comment! but hearing you recount it, it's hilarious! thanks!
    10-04-11 09:09 PM
    Well come on now, that's because WP is going to be a dominant platform. In 2015. Maybe. That speculation apparently weighs more heavily than the factual history of a company that practically created the smartphone market.

Oh, and WP has about 1.5% of the market.
    LOL i think i have sold more themes than MS has sold Windows Phones.....
    FranzJoseph likes this.
    10-04-11 10:09 PM

There is nothing RIM has available right now that can be used to compare with the competition. The competition has better processors, bigger high resolution screens, better hardware and overall more consumer appeal. Maybe in the feature phone arena RIM can compete but not in the super phone world.
    devilhimself likes this.
    10-04-11 10:32 PM
    Minor improvements that still chew any blackberry phone to date.

Obviously OS 6 to OS 7 devices were a huge leap, RIM had been recycling hardware for the past 3 years since the release of the 9000 with minor energetic improvements along the way. The integration of a GPU in OS 7, which many people suggested since the 8900, but that was implemented 3 years later correctly, made a huge difference in the UI. OS 7 is a big step for blackberry phones, but the iphone has had that OS sleekiness and hardware & software feature-set since long ago already, hence the "minor" update, they have had good CPU and GPU processing power for quite a while now with a rich consumer and media oriented experience, while blackberry devices did not. Apple does not need to launch a 1.8ghz dual core 5" screen phone to set an example, much less to compete with blackberry phones, as blackberry phones have never been able to compete with iphones, except for their first two generations of course.

Apple seems to use good barely-overpowered hardware that delivers juice to last long enough, while RIM usually stays at the margin of everything, except for the CPU part of their last OS 7 devices, the rest is still marginal, everything right at the bottom just to be deprecated and not supported by future software less than a year later. And then comes Android, where the devices running it have overpowered hardware in every corner of it.

Blackberry has security, decent email, keyboard, BBM, and BES (and battery?). Two different beast for two different markets and type of users.
    Saying that the iPhone 4S is too small of a improvement compared to the improvement RIM made is a bit out of the line, because iPhones haven't been lacking for the past 3 years. For which the junior leagues categorization serves well, nothing out of the ordinary, hopefully moving forward. Hand to hand, the 4S is still out blackberry's league.
    Last edited by gbsn; 10-05-11 at 06:17 AM.
    devilhimself and moiselles like this.
    10-05-11 06:02 AM
    They are picking their winners, though I think Windows has a lot to offer, and will really push RIM hard if there really are only going to be 3 smartphones on offer.
    10-05-11 07:16 AM
    There is nothing RIM has available right now that can be used to compare with the competition. The competition has better processors, bigger high resolution screens, better hardware and overall more consumer appeal. Maybe in the feature phone arena RIM can compete but not in the super phone world.
    I disagree...
    the 9850/60 has
    480x800 - same as the WP Titan
    3.7" screen - larger than the iphone
    1.2GHz - close enough to the titan
    768MB ram - More than both the 4S and the titan
    its lighter than all but the SGII
    720p video rec...

yes.. its missing a few features and has a few that are lower, but really there is NO reason that the 9850/60 should NOT be included!
    10-05-11 07:39 AM
    The rest of the industry just doesn't take RIM seriously anymore.
    I'm not quite sure they take themselves seriously. Instead of thinking up a way to compete with iOS and Droid, they come out with a music cloud?

We Canadians kicked a$$ and took the Olympic gold in hockey, but we've definitely lost it in smartphones.
    Even as an American, I was cheering for Team Canada. Course, most of my favorite players are Canadian. Go Sharks!

You forgot the competition has better apps.
    10-05-11 08:48 AM
    IP4S wins

/thread

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-11 09:08 AM
    I have never understood how anyone could compare this iPod that makes phone calls with a proper phone like the BlackBerry.

The iPhone has no proper multitasking OS (it is a task switcher, not true multi-threaded, multi-tasking like the BlackBerry has had since OS 4).

It has no keyboard and has had serious technical problems - remember the antenna problm - and the highly restrictive Apple ecosphere and sales architecture (you need to jailbreak before you can run programs that Apple do not supply).
    10-05-11 09:22 AM
    I have never understood how anyone could compare this iPod that makes phone calls with a proper phone like the BlackBerry.

The iPhone has no proper multitasking OS (it is a task switcher, not true multi-threaded, multi-tasking like the BlackBerry has had since OS 4).

It has no keyboard and has had serious technical problems - remember the antenna problm - and the highly restrictive Apple ecosphere and sales architecture (you need to jailbreak before you can run programs that Apple do not supply).
    Please elaborate for me how "true" multi-tasking really works. I'd like to hear your definition of it.

As for not having a keyboard..obviously the millions upon millions of users who like virtual keyboards would disagree with you as to that being the definition of a "proper phone".
    I'll agree with the locked down ecosphere though..(but at least they have an ecosystem )
    Last edited by Rickroller; 10-05-11 at 09:48 AM.
    K Bear likes this.
    10-05-11 09:39 AM
    ... 768MB ram - More than both the 4S and the titan ...
    However, Berries have the "Application memory" division, and from what I've read, the OS7 devices typically end up with less than 200MB free Application memory even with no apps loaded.

- R.
    10-05-11 10:00 AM
    ... It has no keyboard and has had serious technical problems ...
    No keyboard? Neither does the Torch, which is why I think the comparison to the Bold is inappropriate.

Serious technical problems? What about the Storm and Storm 2? Those were wayyyyyyyy worse than antennagate - I owned them both.

- R.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-05-11 10:03 AM

And the Storm was a HUGE success **** you couldn't even type on it......
    10-05-11 10:19 AM
    and the highly restrictive Apple ecosphere and sales architecture (you need to jailbreak before you can run programs that Apple do not supply).
    Other than custom themes, is there an app that Apple doesn't have in its library? They've got everything and then some. Friend of mine is in construction and he has one and downloaded the iLevel app and uses his iPhone on the job site as a level.
    10-05-11 10:33 AM
    I left BB for the android world. While android and iPhone are fun devices i miss what i need in a phone device. I need to communicate by email & text quickly. A virtual keyboard/keypad doesn't do it for me. I'm too slow on it and make too many mistakes. On the BB the keyboard is fast and efficient for my needs. i can't give up a real keyboard. I may be in the minority re: virtual keypads but I'm headed back to BB solely for the keyboard efficiency.
    10-05-11 12:08 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD