The battery life on the 4s is far better than on the 9930. The speaker is louder and clearer.

These are two areas I didn't think anyone but RIM took seriously, and they justified other shortcomings. That is not the case anymore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 01:43 PM
    I am sure in the coming months BB will make up for it's shortcomings I think we need to sit tight and see what is in the development pipeline....
    10-17-11 01:46 PM
    IMO Best speakers on any mobile device ever were the stereo speakers on the Bold 9000. Why hasn't RIM chosen to make a device with speakers similar to this?
    10-17-11 01:50 PM
    IMO Best speakers on any mobile device ever were the stereo speakers on the Bold 9000. Why hasn't RIM chosen to make a device with speakers similar to this?
    I agree. That thing sounded awesome for a phone. The Playbook has stereo speakers and sounds very good also. Not super loud, but its clear sound. (I'm a minor audiophile. Not enough $ to be a "real" audiophile. . )

10-17-11 01:59 PM
    Meh- of the two the bb has better buttons...case closed.

10-17-11 02:08 PM

Can you do a battery pull on an iphone?

10-17-11 02:09 PM
    close...

My vote was for the SE W995 (circa 2009).

Credit card sized boombox!

With the backstreet boys claiming that they wanted to focus on business features like loud and clear speakerphones, etc on their devices, I don't know why we haven't seen a stereo speaker device in a while.

K-Eunichs better fix that in light of how well the PB's audio is.
    10-17-11 02:11 PM

Thankfully there's no need to do a battery pull on an iPhone unlike BB where you constantly have to do this because of freeze up due to a poor OS and bad memory management.

So in conclusion BB wins in the battery pull dept.
    10-17-11 02:13 PM
    Thankfully there's no need to do a battery pull on an iPhone unlike BB where you constantly have to do this because of freeze up due to a poor OS and bad memory management.

You beat me to it.
    10-17-11 02:25 PM
    Opinions vary here and you mileage may vary.

What the OP stated is opinion, to which he is, of course perfectly entitled. However opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink. Err, mine too but the reason I come to a BlackBerry site is that I like BlackBerrys.
    10-17-11 02:33 PM
    Better battery?

how is that defined? longer battery life? more efficient use of battery power? faster charging? reduced size? what makes it a Better Battery?

as for Speaker I have yet to hear the 4S, but if it is better than the Bold 9000 was, and the Bold 9900 is I would be impressed.
    10-17-11 02:39 PM

LOL... that's like looking at a tape deck and an CD player and proclaiming the tape deck is better because on the CD player you cannot muck around re-tracking tape.

You listed a major drawback as an advantage. I can't tell if it was tongue-in-cheek or not.
    10-17-11 02:46 PM
    Just to throw my tuppence worth in... the sound on my 9900 is awesome and ridiculously loud since upgrading the OS from the stock version.

Better battery? Hmmm...pics or it didnt happen!
    10-17-11 02:54 PM
    To be very clear, I am testing an iPhone 4s and am reporting on what I'm seeing. The differences in battery life and speaker quality are very noticeable. I'm talking about existing Blackberrys, not the 9000 which is no longer made and has nothing to do with RIM's current lineup.

10-17-11 03:07 PM
    Make that a battery swap. So answer back after you finish charging your iPhone. The first thing a mobile device needs to be is mobile. Not planned around being next to a socket.
    ekv and recompile like this.
    10-17-11 03:21 PM

I wonder why they felt the need to have the "2 button reset" (or whatever you want to call it) built in? I own an old iPod Nano and a 1Gen iPod Touch (always up to date OS). I've used that reset function way more than I'd have liked. Enough that claiming iOS devices don't require forced reboots makes me laugh. I've seen my friend force reboot his iPhone's a handful of times too.

It happens to all OS's and all platforms.

10-17-11 03:22 PM
    Make that a battery swap. So answer back after you finish charging your iPhone. The first thing a mobile device needs to be is mobile. Not planned around being next to a socket.
    While I agree with you here

iPhone users CAN carry around external battery packs, for charging on the go, as well as solar packs, for those who want to take their phones on hikes/camping,

I do have to say I very much appreciate NOT having to have an external battery pack, and that 2 batteries for the 8330 could go 10 days of moderate use with full charge in spotty signals, actually lasted longer than the digital camera with only 1 battery.
    10-17-11 03:24 PM
    Not only that, I'm stuck with an iPod Touch that's battery won't last 10 minutes because I can't easily swap it out. (sure I could tear it apart and hope it all goes well, after I buy a replacement battery). Nothing wrong with my Touch accept it is somewhat slow and it is buggy, but I'm now forced to find a new device u less its constantly tethered to an outlet.

I think ill just use my next phone or Playbook from now on though. Hoping the Playbook gets Bluetooth streaming soon.

10-17-11 03:27 PM
    To be very clear, I am testing an iPhone 4s and am reporting on what I'm seeing. The differences in battery life and speaker quality are very noticeable. I'm talking about existing Blackberrys, not the 9000 which is no longer made and has nothing to do with RIM's current lineup.

So it has Better Battery life for WHAT tasks?
    What usage?
    What Settings?

How long from DEAD to Full charge?
    at what % Battery life does the Radio turn off?

if you are going to come to a BlackBerry forum to "share your observations" how about you make them detailed. we can't really compare sound quality, but the beauty of Battery life is there are lots of things you can test.

Leave both on FULL charge, unplug them, and send and open 500 emails see at what rate both fall
    Leave both on FULL charge, and play Streaming Video, see which one dies first
    Have Both Call eachother, see which Dies first
    Lots of great tests could be done, rather than saying "trust me, this is what I see"
    10-17-11 03:27 PM
    While I agree with you here

iPhone users CAN carry around external battery packs, for charging on the go, as well as solar packs, for those who want to take their phones on hikes/camping,

I do have to say I very much appreciate NOT having to have an external battery pack, and that 2 batteries for the 8330 could go 10 days of moderate use with full charge in spotty signals, actually lasted longer than the digital camera with only 1 battery.
    That still leaves you dependant on the cord or worse with a bulky case that covers up your phone. Nothing beats a fast swap if it's needed. I haven't even needed an extra battery once with my Monza and I am always Bridged to my Playbook.
    10-17-11 03:35 PM
    That still leaves you dependant on the cord or worse with a bulky case that covers up your phone. Nothing beats a fast swap if it's needed. I haven't even needed an extra battery once with my Monza and I am always Bridged to my Playbook.
    It could be argued hat for most people, the iPhone is mobile enough. This is coming from someone who uses a device with a swappable battery.
    10-17-11 03:41 PM
    I wonder why they felt the need to have the "2 button reset" (or whatever you want to call it) built in? I own an old iPod Nano and a 1Gen iPod Touch (always up to date OS). I've used that reset function way more than I'd have liked. Enough that claiming iOS devices don't require forced reboots makes me laugh. I've seen my friend force reboot his iPhone's a handful of times too.

It happens to all OS's and all platforms.

True but it's a daily ritual on BB.
    10-17-11 03:45 PM
    It could be argued hat for most people, the iPhone is mobile enough. This is coming from someone who uses a device with a swappable battery.
    That would be from the same people who believe that Flash isn't necessary.
    10-17-11 03:47 PM
    The speaker on the 9900 is simply awesome.
    I haven't tried the 4s yet, but I don't see how you get better than this. Dolby 5.1 perhaps?
    This is one of those non quantifyable aspects.
    10-17-11 03:50 PM

I travel a lot so I need the removable battery. Have you ever landed in a strange country in the middle of the night after a 6 hour delay at an airport to find that your plug doesn't fit the outlet in the hotel room and the only person who speaks English won't be in for 2 days?

Yes, I guess BB wins.
    sir.dangerfield, recompile and ekv like this.
    10-17-11 03:51 PM
137 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD