I could see it coming in the far future.

Personally, I think it's kind of silly. iPhone 4 user can ONLY use it over Wi-Fi to other iPhoners. The EVO can work over 3G/4G which is nice but again, you'd need to be calling another device which is compatible with it. This is not a wide-spread feature so at the time now, it seems rather useless.

I'd wait til it's a wide-spread feature across MANY phones, many people have it, and I can use it over 3G, not just Wi-Fi.
    By the time BB catches up and puts one on their phones, everyone else will have one
    06-28-10 02:19 PM
    There were pics of a BlackBerry with a front-facing camera on here about a year ago, so it is something that RIM has at least researched for quite a while now. I'm sure it is not a new concept that came to be just because the iPhone came out with one.

I can see using it. My daughter was in Iraq last year and we would video chat via Skype whenever she had the chance. It was always a crap shoot as to what time of day that would be. If both of our BlackBerrys had video chat functionality, it would really come in handy if her Army Reserve unit gets called up again (which they are starting to talk about).

Most of my relatives live quite a distance from me. Skype video chat has been a wonderful thing to have for keeping in touch, watching the nieces and nephews growing up (even started watching them via NetMeeting about ten years ago).

It might not be for everyone, but ti will catch on with others.
    06-28-10 02:26 PM
    There were pics of a BlackBerry with a front-facing camera on here about a year ago, so it is something that RIM has at least researched for quite a while now. I'm sure it is not a new concept that came to be just because the iPhone came out with one.

I can see using it. My daughter was in Iraq last year and we would video chat via Skype whenever she had the chance. It was always a crap shoot as to what time of day that would be. If both of our BlackBerrys had video chat functionality, it would really come in handy if her Army Reserve unit gets called up again (which they are starting to talk about).

Most of my relatives live quite a distance from me. Skype video chat has been a wonderful thing to have for keeping in touch, watching the nieces and nephews growing up (even started watching them via NetMeeting about ten years ago).

It might not be for everyone, but ti will catch on with others.

I see RIM using the Front Facing Cam as a BBM add on, making everyone you know needing a BB even more important, then as the market further evolves opening up access to the camera for 3rd party apps
    06-28-10 02:40 PM
    Don't tell Steve Jobs that he thinks he invented it like he invented folders for apps.......
    BAHAHAHA!

yeah didnt you know he invented multitasking and copy n' paste too
    06-28-10 02:46 PM
    I had a front facing camera on a Sony Ericsson P1i about 4 years ago. It worked well enough but 3G had not really taken hold in Europe then so there was nobody to call with video.

Now that Apple had fitted one to the iPhone, a front facing camera will become the norm within 1 year, I predict.
    yeah before I switched to blackberry, I also a Sony Ericsson K800 with a front facing camera with video chat, and it was kinda cool, but was a feature that was easily overlooked when I got my 8320.

Honestly there are plenty of phones out there (Nokia + Sony Ericsson) that have a front facing camera + video chatting(plus the feature to switch cameras during chat, like my k800 did), and if it was a feature that people really wanted/ needed, then they would have gone ahead and gotten one.

But now people will be flocking like sheep to ATT to get an iphone 4 solely for this feature, even though they don't even need it.
    06-28-10 02:54 PM
    By the time BB catches up and puts one on their phones, everyone else will have one
    Everyone else already does have them, just not in North America. We're sad sacks when it comes to cell phone "innovation" and we're way behind. And there's no sign of us catching up anytime soon either.
    06-28-10 02:56 PM
    I found that wearing a pair of socks and above that just a straight up pair of shorts works great. You get some real weird looks from people.
    Yeah, you are right. I heard one girl say to her friend. "You know, that looks like one, but much smaller."

What did she mean, I wonder? Mind you it was cold that day.
    06-28-10 02:58 PM
    Yeah, you are right. I heard one girl say to her friend. "You know, that looks like one, but much smaller."

What did she mean, I wonder? Mind you it was cold that day.
    Perhaps the mole on your left thigh?
    06-28-10 02:59 PM
    Yeah only with a wifi connection doesn't make it a great addition
    06-28-10 03:03 PM
    I just don't get the iPhone thing, I know Windows OS is flawed but I still have a HTC Alpine, which was released in May 2005 (I just checked) That was a similar size, and had copy/paste, multitasking and 1000s of FREE apps from the start. Reception is excellent, and I still run Tomtom 6 from it every day. I havent re-set in about a year.

I have a tytn 2, with a front facing camera, that could be used over wifi and 3g whilst on the phone or internet if i wish, and that was released in 2007.

You have to give Apple some credit, recylcing 5 year old technology and making s**t loads of cash, just shows how stupid people can be. People that buy apple products are the same people that pay �200 for a pair of jeans that look and wear exactly the same as my �30 pair.
    06-28-10 03:16 PM
    do u think rim will come out with a bb that has a front facing camera too. the commercial that apple put out with the front camera look pretty cool even though u can only do it with only iphone 4 to iphone 4 with wifi only.
    Dude, front cameras have been implemented in cellphones for almost a decade now. Even some LG dumbphones have videochat, on UMTS too.

Ridiculous how some people are amazed that an iPhone has the front camera, but if you showed them a 3 year old Nokia that has the same front camera, they wouldn't even care... so dumb!

2007 product, Nokia N95. Has a front camera you can use over UMTS too.
    Nokia N95 8GB - Full phone specifications
    06-28-10 05:13 PM
    People that buy apple products are the same people that pay �200 for a pair of jeans that look and wear exactly the same as my �30 pair.
    Perfectly stated. You're in my FB quotes now.
    06-28-10 05:14 PM
    I see RIM using the Front Facing Cam as a BBM add on, making everyone you know needing a BB even more important, then as the market further evolves opening up access to the camera for 3rd party apps
    That would make BBM the best app over the rest. Many probably won't use it, but it's good to have.
    06-28-10 05:35 PM

Ridiculous how some people are amazed that an iPhone has the front camera, but if you showed them a 3 year old Nokia that has the same front camera, they wouldn't even care... so dumb!
    It really is....
    06-28-10 05:52 PM
    To be fair to people on here who think the iPhone is the first phone with a front-facing
    camera, they're mostly people who are here in North America whose first
    smartphones were Blackberries or iPhones, or perhaps Palm devices. Given that,
    they weren't going to be aware of Nokia phones since they're not very popular in
    North America and instead overseas. So most just had no idea. This is why
    Symbian is the most used OS in the world (I think it still is).
    06-28-10 06:04 PM
    To be fair to people on here who think the iPhone is the first phone with a front-facing
    camera, they're mostly people who are here in North America whose first
    smartphones were Blackberries or iPhones, or perhaps Palm devices. Given that,
    they weren't going to be aware of Nokia phones since they're not very popular in
    North America and instead overseas. So most just had no idea. This is why
    Symbian is the most used OS in the world (I think it still is).
    Maybe it will get popular since so many people have iphones now and it never got popular before because people had to have similar phones for it to work. We shall see I suppose!!
    06-28-10 06:10 PM
    Maybe it will get popular since so many people have iphones now and it never got popular before because people had to have similar phones for it to work. We shall see I suppose!!
    There's no question that front-facing cams/video chat will become popular.
    That's a given. Just have seen some people in this thread and other places
    who keep pointing out how this phone and that phone had it. Especially
    Nokias. It's all understandable. I'm just trying to give an assumption on
    perhaps why some people think Apple actually invented this
    06-28-10 06:15 PM
    Well I am front Italy and we had video calling, first on landphones and then cellphones for the longest time and both were a total flop. It also sounds funny that most people in NA have no idea that front facing cameras have been out for so long.
    06-28-10 06:16 PM
    Well I am front Italy and we had video calling, first on landphones and then cellphones for the longest time and both were a total flop. It also sounds funny that most people in NA have no idea that front facing cameras have been out for so long.
    Somos molto pendejos.
    06-28-10 06:18 PM
    Somos molto pendejos.
    Apart from molto, that's not Italian, but Spanish...
    06-28-10 06:24 PM
    Apart from molto, that's not Italian, but Spanish...
    Disculpame. Queria decir muy*
    06-28-10 06:28 PM
    With my luck I'll take pictures of my ear canal, wax, hair, and all!

Actually my wife spends time in Europe and the Middle East for work and has brought home, in order an N-95 & N-96. Both fine devices for media, and both with forward and rear facing cameras. She got the N-95 in 2007.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 06-28-10 at 06:33 PM.
    06-28-10 06:30 PM
    I can see it now in a few years this will be on all phones. You won't be able to go to a dining establishment without several tables running video speaker phones. Now we will get both sides of the conversations and photographed in the background. Wonderful. /*end rant*/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 06:45 PM
    I saw my first video chat back at the 1964 NY World's Fair. It was amazing and everyone was sure this was the "next thing" only, it never happened. I'm a techie and honestly, I was not even aware video chat was available on Nokias and other gear a few years ago.

That being said, I say "kudos" to Apple for making this and some of the other technology, popular. You can't blame them for sitting there thinking up what to add to the next gen and someone saying "you know, video chat would really be popular" and then adopting it. THEY are not the ones to claim to have invented it, but rather all the misguided, uneducated, uninformed, population that simply thinks they did because before now, they'd only seen it in the movies.
    06-28-10 06:51 PM
    I think it's a lil extra. Sounds like one of the those features that will be cool when you first get the phone then quickly forget about.
    06-28-10 07:41 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD