I've been tooling around looking at the new BB's (I have a Torch and might want to move to the new 9900). I also bought the PB first day - and I've come to the conclusion that there really is a lot of negativity towards RIM and BB's. In general the BB is lambasted for being archaic (which is has been - I think OS 7and the new hardware moves it out of the Stone age and into the Bronze age, okay, okay - the more recent information age). The QNX software is lightyears ahead of almost every OS out there desktop or otherwise and will finally get RIM back in the game - if they can keep their heads about them (and above water).

But I keep hearing a recurring theme from a number of my friends who have the iPhone 4/3: it doesn't work very well as a phone. A few empirical anecdotes doesn't make the case - so I went to Apple support forums to see if it was a small issue that they hadn't dealt with (i.e. my friends hadn't updated the iOS on their phone). But from reading the support forums this is a fairly common occurence and still happens now (given the dates of the posts).

Here is the link for the support forums (sorry for the screwy link - I can't post links yet - get rid of the * and they'll work fine).

((((***h*t*t*p*s:*/*/discussions*apple*com/thread/2479987?start=45&tstart=0********

I am posting this to inform - that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. And some of the things we BB users take for granted - a great communication device. Isn't always the case for other smart-"phones".

On another note - the Bold Touch 9900 is SOLD OUT IN TORONTO. At least at Rogers. The guy at the store says the frenzy was like when the new iPhone 4 first came out. Just a nice warm fuzzy bit of happiness I thought I would share.

Also, during my journeys, I came across these sites - they are VERY FUNNY!!
    (or at least I thought so).

***h*t*t*p:*/**/www*iphonessuck*com]iPhones Suck - I hate the iPhone, find out why the iPhone sucks********
    or
    ***h*t*t*p*//www*youtube*com/watch?v=p7SzB58qHI0&feature=player_embedded]Google Nexus One: The "F* You iPhone" Phone - YouTube*******

Cheers.
    mobibiz likes this.
    08-11-11 07:31 PM
    Umm...no. I've always had superb call quality on both my BB and iPhone. You can find disgruntled users for any brand. Making a blanket statement like "iPhone 4 doesn't answer calls" is simply false.
    Crucial_Xtreme and howarmat like this.
    08-11-11 07:36 PM
    I actually took the title from the support group at Apple (I slightly paraphrased: the actual title was: "Iphone 4 wont answer calls" .It wasn't meant to imply ALL iPhone 4's don't answer calls, all the time - but rather that is seem to be enough of a problem and a somewhat pervasive problem. Given a bit of online searching and the consistent complaints from my friends.
    08-11-11 07:43 PM
    Then if your point is just that some iPhone 4s have bad call quality, you're just beating an already severely beaten horse. That's not really new. Everyone remembers Antennagate.
    08-11-11 07:45 PM
    Go take a look at the apple forum - it has precious little to do with reception but rather the inability of the phone to answer the actual call. Rather than being an insipid blowhard - take a look at the link.
    08-11-11 07:49 PM
    Unless of course you didn't make it past the title - then I would understand your in-depth critique.
    08-11-11 07:50 PM
    No need to resort to name calling. I don't really understand what you mean by the inability of the phone to answer the call, as opposed to bad reception. What other than bad reception would result in a lost call?
    08-11-11 07:51 PM
    Ah I see, hardware issues. Not really fair to only go after one phone for that.
    08-11-11 07:52 PM
    The issue is that the phone will not open with the swipe and they cannot answer the call.
    08-11-11 07:53 PM
    It seems to be a common occurence with the OS. A good number of my friends with iPhones have this issue as well.
    08-11-11 07:53 PM
    It does beg the question why you would fire off an insipid, petty quip while not fully understanding what was being said.
    08-11-11 07:54 PM
    It seems to be a common occurence with the OS. A good number of my friends with iPhones have this issue as well.
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with you when you say it's a common problem. I won't argue that more than one person has had the issue on the forum, but I know plenty of happy users on Crackberry's sister site TiPB and personally, my entire immediate family and many of my friends use the iPhone 4 without that problem. I won't say it doesn't happen, because I don't think those people are making it up, but I'd hardly call it common.
    08-11-11 07:55 PM
    It does beg the question why you would fire off an insipid, petty quip while not fully understanding what was being said.
    Please refrain from the insults, if you feel I'm attacking you I'm sorry, I'm merely trying to argue my point as you are yours.
    08-11-11 07:56 PM
    i have a friend that has owned every iphone made and has never had any problems with them. i am sure many have the same experience as him and some that are less lucky.

you go into any "support" forum you will find many issues. That is what the forum is for. Whats funny is with all forms of technology about 75% of "problems" are user error
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    08-11-11 07:58 PM
    I'm in downtown Toronto and work in finance - so the vast majority of my colleagues use BBs. I quite like them. But not one of them, ever, has complained about the phone capabilities of the BB. Not once. But out of my many, many friends who have the iPhone consistently lament the phone capabilities of the iPhone. And a few, let's say 20% have serious issues with the phone portion of the iPhone - particularly with the swipe issue. On another related, yet slightly different issue. You can't answer the iPhone with gloves on (and in Canada in the winter, a good chunnk of the US, Europe, China, Russia and many other places) that is just another PITA of the iPhone as a phone.
    08-11-11 08:00 PM
    why are trolling a blackberry forum with iphone issues?
    08-11-11 08:02 PM
    I'm in downtown Toronto and work in finance - so the vast majority of my colleagues use BBs. I quite like them. But not one of them, ever, has complained about the phone capabilities of the BB. Not once. But out of my many, many friends who have the iPhone consistently lament the phone capabilities of the iPhone. And a few, let's say 20% have serious issues with the phone portion of the iPhone - particularly with the swipe issue. On another related, yet slightly different issue. You can't answer the iPhone with gloves on (and in Canada in the winter, a good chunnk of the US, Europe, China, Russia and many other places) that is just another PITA of the iPhone as a phone.
    If your friends are all heavy BB users, is it not impossible that they complain more heavily about iPhone issues because that is what they are biased towards? I'm not saying they're making it up, but if you browse these very forums, you will see that BB has many issues as well.

As for the touchscreen issue, is it really fair to only go after the iPhone for that? I'm sure any Droid and the Torch touchscreen itself would have trouble responding when the hand is covered by a glove.
    08-11-11 08:03 PM
    We all have our problems...sometimes my Storm messes up so bad that I can't do anything INCLUDING answer calls....pure software problem, but you can blame the lack of sufficient memory if you want. But yeah, as howarmat said, few post in a forum just to talk about how flawless their phone is. You won't hear much about the success stories as they have no problem to find support for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    08-11-11 08:06 PM
    howarmat
    I agree with support forum issue - the general point was that the BB does a lot of the most basic things very, very well and that that is many times overlooked. I couldn't imagine the dressing down RIM would take in the press of the other websites if they had a similar - and as far as my empirical evidence suggests - somewhat pervasive problem with so basic a functionality. More interestingly is that the phone component of the iPhone just doesn't seem to be that strong - in a variety of ways (such as the gloves answering the phone issue, poor reception). And that the BB does those things exceptionally well. While there is general lament about all the things the BB doesn't do - sometimes I find it strange that it is not pointed out that BBs do some of the more basic things better than most other phones. I'd sprout a new head if my phone didn't work well or if I didn't have push e-mail. Or that I can lookup any e-mail in my corporation, and that the BB can effortlessly handle 5000 e-mails on my phone without grinding to a halt. Or misfiling my e-mails (as a number of my iPhone friends whine about).

So yes - support forums are for people looking for solutions to a problem. I was simply looking to see if it was a very small slice of people - or more pervasive. And possibly to add a bit more colour to the debate about how good the other phones are.
    08-11-11 08:14 PM
    I know several 20 somethings that ditched the iphone 4, for this very reason. Evidently Mr. Jobs believes that this problem like many others, is simply untrue. A 24 year old coworker had his for 2 weeks and was frustrated from day 1. He ended up trading down to a Nokia. His main priority in his job is to be able to talk to customers on the phone, while in the field. It did not work for his application. I am not here to insult anyone or be biased toward any platform. Just stating facts, not opinion. Whatever all of you have, if it fulfills your daily needs, ENJOY! and to h*ll with what anyone else thinks!

08-11-11 11:31 PM
    Umm...no. I've always had superb call quality on both my BB and iPhone. You can find disgruntled users for any brand. Making a blanket statement like "iPhone 4 doesn't answer calls" is simply false.
    oh where have I thought that before....
    08-12-11 12:44 AM
    I has ears dropping on a conversation at starbucks the other day, 2 guys and a gal in their early 40 i would say. Girl had a blackberry, one guy a iphone 3gs and the other iphone 4.

I won't bore you with the conversation they had , but the 3gs guy had 3G while the iphone 4 guy had 2G even though they were on the same network and sitting beside each other.

08-12-11 03:10 AM
    I had an iPhone 3G and currently a 4, and as of now no issues for me.

This is in contrast to my Storm 2, which by the time I got rid of it, could barely be used as a phone. People complained everyday I sounded "muffled" when trying to speak to them. My favorite were the times the phone wasn't frozen (buttons at the bottom worked), but the touch screen was 100% unresponsive. This led to a 7 minute reboot, until I found a trick to fix it - start the CAMERA using the soft key on the side, then close it. Fixed. By and far the strangest, least logical issue I have ever seen with any consumer electronics device I have ever owned.

Every phone has some sort of funny fluke, and never can 100% of any product be perfect. If people had such problems with the iPhone so often, they wouldn't sell millions of them each quarter. The same holds true for RIM.

08-12-11 06:42 AM
    oh where have I thought that before....
    What? Care to elaborate because I don't know what you're talking about.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-12-11 06:57 AM
    A pointless thread, not even relevant to the iPhone forum.

Closed.
    howarmat likes this.
    08-12-11 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD