I am 16 and I am looking into getting a smartphone. I'm stuck between the iPhone 4 or Blackberry Bold 9780 (which I heard is coming out soon). I'm looking to do some texting, few phone calls and probably music (although I have an iPod touch too). I was leaning towards the iPhone at first but I am not a big fan of the virtual keyboard on the iPod touch. Durability is also a concern, as the iPhone 4 is glass on front and back, but my dad's BB Pearl 8100 has been dropped about 20-30 times from around 4-6 feet and still works (although the battery door is starting to come off). So I pretty much know that BB's are more durable.

The only thing holding me back are the few apps (especially games, big fan of those) and the bad browser. How much are those features deal breakers?

PS this is my first post, so I am sorry if this has been posted already.
    10-15-10 06:38 PM
    Texting: BlackBerry
    Phone Calls: BlackBerry (loldeathgrip)
    Music: Doesn't really matter, if you use streaming music apps I would go BlackBerry, far better background steaming. (actual multitasking)
    Durability: BlackBerry
    Games: iPhone - You can't really compare games of a touchscreen and keyboard device...
    Browser: If you're going to get the 9780 which comes with the webkit and an updated version of OS 6, they're pretty much the same.

I would go for the BlackBerry, not to mention that you can be logged onto multiple native IM clients, facebook, twitter and all notifications get pushed to you.
    That's the main reason why I picked BlackBerry, my battery lasts 2 days while logged onto msn and sending/recieving around 500 texts daily + facebook and emails.
    Messaging is generally faster on a BlackBerry, you don't have to open a contacts application, phone or message application to compose a new phone call/email or text message. You just type the name from the homescreen and click email sms or press the call button, in less than a second. - On OS6 you can just longpress and use a gesture.
    And you don't have to go into the IM client to respond, it's in the unified inbox along with your emails, facebook notifications, twitter replies/mentions, text messages ect.

If the only thing you like about the iPhone is the games, you already have an iPod touch. o.o
    Last edited by iMiiTH; 10-15-10 at 06:52 PM.
    10-15-10 06:46 PM
    As already mentioned above, the 9780 is not a game phone. The screen is, of course, smaller than the iPhone and the processor doesn't do OpenGL.

That said, I think in almost every other respect, since the 9780 will be on OS6, it will be about as good or better in some ways than the iPhone. Personally, I would say that if you're concerned about the keyboard, then get the Bold and then keep your iPod for playing games. You will have the best of both worlds! But that's basically what it comes down to...what is more important to you; games/entertainment or communication and keyboard.

OK, there is one other thing. It's not important to us old folks, but if being "in" or "cool" is more important to you than being productive, then the iPhone may be the way to go...lol!
    10-15-10 08:36 PM
    Its really quite simple comparison, if you want games and better web browsing go with the Iphone, I think the bb does most other things better though,and you will only have to charge it every 2 to 3 days. I think most people get so caught up in the new smart phone hype and apps that they just plain over look the most important thing in most any device "Form Factor" what are you going for?

Myself I think the form factor of the bold 9700 is the best hands down no comparison, but thats for me, you got decide whats best for you.
    10-15-10 10:01 PM
    I'm going to have to go with the Bold. Excellent messaging device and very durable. Since you already have an iPod Touch, you'll have the games on there. Plus, if you play a lot of games, you'll drain the battery on your iPhone and barely make it thru the day.

Of course, since this is a BlackBerry blog, almost everyone will say go with the BlackBerry or go with whatever suits you best which is the better answer. Try posting this on tipb.com to see what iPhone users will say. They will probably tell you to get an iPhone rather than get what suits you better since they are just like that
    10-15-10 11:31 PM
    Droid...

Seriously, you made it very clear you want a phone to do web browsing, gaming, apps, multitasking, with the option of a physical keyboard with a big emphasis on gaming/browsing. I will say that the OS6 browser is a huge improvement, and if you are willing to wait the extra second or two, it will get the job done just fine, however the browser (and selection of!) on the Android phones is simply the best available at the moment, and I can verify that first hand after using all the above. Gaming on the Android phones is on par with the iPhone, however the selection is not as vast the the iPhone, but still plenty to satisfy. The other big advantage would simply be the availability of a landscape keyboard and better durability, especially when going with an HTC or Motorola product (Samsung is ok while feeling a bit plastic-y, but still is better then the iPhone). Plus, if you really want an iTunes game, then like you said you already have the iPod touch and the Android can turn into a Wifi hotspot to power it!

Personally, I am a HUGE fan of the Android line, and personally have one, through work that is. My personal phone right now is a 9630 though with a 9650 coming in tomorrow. While the Droid/Apple phones are fantastic and fun, I quickly get bored of them and find myself wanting to find a new game or app to make them interesting again. Think drinking buddy; lots of fun every now and then but you always gotta come up with something new and fun to do if you want to spend time together. The Blackberry though remains reliable, and simply gets the job done while always being a pleasure to use, even when it comes to browsing (trackpads just work!). Think of it like a good woman; someone who you can always rely on, you love because they are always there to comfort you, and you don't play pointless short games because you are too busy living the rest of your life with them.

So with that said, my recommendation would be either a Samsung Captivate, Blackberry 9780, or Torch (best of both worlds?). Obviously you are stuck on AT&T being 16 and probably on a family share. Sadly, the Captivate is the only high-end Android phone on the AT&T network, while the backflip is a midgrade phone which MAY meet your needs. If you can switch, other carriers carry some amazing Android phones. If neither switching or an all touchscreen Android is an option, I would say go Blackberry, and use the iPod as your gaming device (might as well, right). Jailbreak the iPod, and now you even have free games for it.
    10-16-10 01:31 AM
    DEFINITELY iPhone 4. I have a 9800 & iPhone 4 as my personal phones and everything is MUCH easier on the iPhone 4!
    10-16-10 06:17 AM
    DEFINITELY iPhone 4. I have a 9800 & iPhone 4 as my personal phones and everything is MUCH easier on the iPhone 4!
    Are you sure you have an iphone 4?

Quick example: Call a friend..

BB Bold: Take out of the holster, type the name, press green button to call..

iphone 4: Take out of holster, press button, slide to unlock, swipe right for search, tap in the field to get keyboard, type name, tab on name tp open numbers, tab number to call..

Where in which case is the ios better in things like email, messaging, calling and other everyday use than the bb??

And.. I have both aswell. Iphone in the drawer, changed to bb. Also have some android devices. When it comes to fast everyday usage the BB is extremely fast!! Faster than any other phone.
    10-16-10 07:11 AM
    Nothing personal OP but...

You come to a BB forum and ask should you get an iphone or a BB?
    Come on, get real. What do you think most of the posters are going to recommend?

Hmmm... maybe that's what you wanted to hear in the first place.
    10-16-10 10:52 AM
    Are you sure you have an iphone 4?

Quick example: Call a friend..

BB Bold: Take out of the holster, type the name, press green button to call..

iphone 4: Take out of holster, press button, slide to unlock, swipe right for search, tap in the field to get keyboard, type name, tab on name tp open numbers, tab number to call..

Where in which case is the ios better in things like email, messaging, calling and other everyday use than the bb??

And.. I have both aswell. Iphone in the drawer, changed to bb. Also have some android devices. When it comes to fast everyday usage the BB is extremely fast!! Faster than any other phone.
    LOL! I love this! Excellent point! I don't believe I've ever seen a BB fan point this out about the iphony. Kudos!
    10-16-10 11:02 AM
    iPhone 4 is superior for web browsing, playing games, and google maps. Everything else you can keep. Funny how no one ever talks about the most over-hyped part of the iPhone 4 when it first came out, face time.
    10-16-10 03:08 PM
    I love face time on the iPhone 4. Nobody talks about it due to it being considered an "extra". I certainly didn't buy the iPhone because it had a face time, but I sure enjoy having it as an option.
    10-16-10 03:20 PM
    Funny how no one ever talks about the most over-hyped part of the iPhone 4 when it first came out, face time.
    If it's so overrated, why are they puting a front facing camera on the PlayBook?
    10-16-10 03:29 PM
    You can't go wrong with either device...

The iphone= superior browser,superior apps, superior html email, better memory management, multimedia device.....

Blackberry= Superior battery life, superior notification system, bbm, physical keyboard....
    10-16-10 05:37 PM
    If it's so overrated, why are they puting a front facing camera on the PlayBook?
    Didn't say over rated. I said over hyped. It's the one thing that I remember from the iPhone 4 commercials when it first came out. Everyone was so excited about it.

My wife owns an iPhone 4 and it's an incredible phone. She's never used the facetime once. I guess it's a personal choice. Whenever I see someone with an iPhone 4 I ask if they use the facetime feature. The answer is almost always no.
    10-18-10 10:19 AM
    get an iphone4
    10-18-10 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD