Are the often recommended .ipd file convertors like amber, magic berry, and process text RIM-approved? I mean, are they safe, or will they compromise the security of my BlackBerry's data (via spyware or malware they might install on my computer)?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-11 02:12 PM
    Probably not.

Neither program has any connection to RIM so, no help there.

Provided your PC has a good anti-virus/spyware program that you run a regular scan with, there should be no problem.

www.processtext.com makers of ABCBerry no longer works as a domain. I do not know what has happened to this company. If they have faded away, it would be a pity as they were a good resource for all sorts of file converters.
    04-12-11 02:18 PM
    They are all third party products and have no need of approval from RIM. They install on a computer, not the BlackBerry.

If your question is about the security of the data, as long as the password is secure, so is the data.
    04-12-11 02:20 PM
    Well, I'm just wondering if the programs will install spyware on my computer that might relay the data from my BlackBerry's backup files to the companies that provide the software.

04-12-11 02:25 PM
    Well, I'm just wondering if the programs will install spyware on my computer that might relay the data from my BlackBerry's backup files to the companies that provide the software.

Neither program has done that on my PC as far as I am aware and, on this subject, I am pretty aware.
    04-12-11 02:50 PM
    I have written a macro which parses an IPD file and produces various text file / reports based on the DBs it detects on the IPD. The macro has no adware, malware or hidden code in it. It is free for you to use. I am not clear from your post exactly what you are trying to achieve. You are welcome to use my macro. It runs on Windows and Excel. Contact me if you are interested. rapanui21 AT yahoo DOT com. If the macro does meet your requirements, provide me more details and I will try to make it work for you ...
    05-26-11 07:00 AM
    If unsure, use a virus checker before installing or download from approved download site where they test for spyware or malware, like CNET. I haven't heard of any problems with the software first mentioned. Although wouldn't be sure about uploading my IPD if I don't have to.
    06-17-11 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD