Smartphones are little computers we carry around with us, that connect us to others, entertain us, and help us get things done.

The rest is subjective.

I've been wondering lately, with all the bad news, why am I still carrying a blackberry...?

In doing so, I've tried to boil down each platforms to a simple, positive concept. Here's what I got:

Apple is easy, especially if you also use other apple products, which are also easy, and it's easy to make them all work together - which is pretty hard to do with other platforms. The vast majority of the population out there wants easy. They don't want to spend a great deal of time just to make things work.

Android is open. Lots of choice of hardware, distros and manufacturer features, lots to tinker with or tweak or customize. Lots of choice. From bare bones "not-dumb-phones" to high end, spec-rich fancy phones. Android covers the spectrum.

BlackBerry is... what?

I think it's BlackBerry's focus on communication that attracts me. That's not to say the others don't allow you to communicate, it's that BlackBerry 's core focus is to get better at communications, or enabling people to communicate. It's a the Core of their DNA. The BlackBerry platform isn't as easy to use as apple's, nor is it as open as android, but even in these dark times, BlackBerry seems to want to find ways to facilitate communication. The hub, the invocation framework, these are example of innovation in bb10 that are aimed at making communication better. Even on OS7 with Social Feeds, at every iteration, BlackBerry seems to want to try to find ways to foster and facilitate communication - whatever the form or purpose.

I'm really trying to get to the heart of why I choose blackberry in a conscious way, to be aware of the reason, objectively rather than in a reactive, subjective way.

I don't mean this to be a trite "my platform is better than yours" argument, but I really am wondering.

If you were going to boil down the platforms to a single concept, stated in a positive way (and positive is key! No religion here), what would you say?
    09-27-13 11:20 PM
    Blackberry is Secure
    09-27-13 11:22 PM
    Check the #ichooseblackberry10 H tag on Twitter

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    09-27-13 11:28 PM
    Blackberry is the phone I use.
    Lendo and Undbiter65 like this.
    09-27-13 11:29 PM
    Very insightful post, I feel the same way

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 11:36 PM
    Blackberry is the best.
    09-27-13 11:38 PM
    BlackBerry is making all of you crazy.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 01:00 AM
    BlackBerry is remembering the past with fondness.
    09-28-13 01:02 AM
    BlackBerry is dead. Hee. Sorry. BlackBerry is awesome.
    09-28-13 01:42 AM
    "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement.
    -Bill Clinton
    09-28-13 02:09 AM
    BlackBerry is getting things done quickly and easily. It's great communication, it's a great tool, it's a great sidekick. It's the ultimate business companion and now with BlackBerry 10, the ultimate life companion. It just works.

The keyboard makes typing so much easier, so much faster. The hub makes communicating so much more simplified and organized. The calendar, the utilities, the file manager that connects to your computer, the remember app integrated with Evernote make school and work so easy to keep up with on all devices, especially with bridge to PlayBook. Not to mention the browser that's super quick, this is all I need for school and work, it's such a great tool.

I can go to school with just the clothes on my back and z10 in pocket and feel confident that I will have everything I need. Teacher gives a handout, take a picture and put it on remember, take notes, record teachers lecture, link websites that she gives or even just download the handout from class website and have it as pdf. I also used the storymaker app to present a project, it took me less than half an hour to get all the images and info and put them together for the presentation. It looked really professional too, people in my class thought I was a PowerPoint wiz but I told them I did it with my phone and they were shocked. I told them I had the new BlackBerry. They were amazed and I was happy with my z.

It's really useful outside of school and work too. The other day I was signing up for Etrade on my computer and they needed a copy of my drivers license to verify who I was. Usually I would have to go to scanner at work and send it, but with the z10 I just took a picture, went to my z10 storage wirelessly on my computer and the picture was there. Uploaded it in less than a minute.

People don't give BlackBerry enough credit, I am so much more efficient than I was without it. I even convinced my boss to get one for the manager at our shop so we could all BBM. There's so much more this phone can do, especially with 10.2 and I'm excited for future updates.

Posted via CB10
    emkay47 and kolowosh like this.
    09-28-13 02:12 AM
    iOS lacks customization which is an instant deal breaker for me, Android would be my ideal OS but most phones that run it are ugly as hell so I settle with BlackBerry which offers better customization than iOS and has a better design than most android phones imo.
    Mr.mister likes this.
    09-28-13 02:53 AM
    I bought a z10 the day it was released and I really liked the device. I went through the restart ordeal and still hung in there.

I loved the Hub and the browser was great. The build quality was what I expected. The problem was that all of my former Blackberry clients and friends have all moved on to IOS and Android.

I used to have over 120 BBM contacts and 20 groups and was down to two groups. My business clients now use FaceTime and iChat instead of BBM.

As far as IOS7, I found myself liking it more every day. Apple sold 9 million new iPhone 5s devices in the first three days of the launch so I think the consumer has spoken.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    09-28-13 06:16 AM
    BlackBerry is remembering the past with fondness.
    ....and tossing around meaningless buzz-word rhetoric like "communication is at the core of the DNA of blackberry, it is the soul of blackberry, and though all devices can comunicate, blackberry is always striving to communicate, it is for people who value that connection with others, who put a premium on social interaction, sharing ideas and thoughts - bonding with friends and family, and wish to do so with a device that places those things as a priority. blackberry is your mother, father, and family. Blackberry is connecting with those long lost classmates. blackberry is connecting with your community, getting involved, and making the world connected."

Then other diehards respond "yes, EXACTLY, thanks for putting it into words so clearly!" LOL

Sorry, OP, I think the premise of your post (though too simplistic to get anywhere) is good, and I thought your post nice, but it's absolutely STRIKING, how your BB paragraph devolves into vague phrases of marketing-speak. If you have trouble putting it into words....that's why....the reason you chose blackberry are nothing but subjective feelings about the BB brand....having said all that, there is nothing at all wrong with that. It's your choice.
    Donvald likes this.
    09-28-13 07:19 AM
    Apple sold 9 million new iPhone 5s devices in the first three days of the launch so I think the consumer has spoken.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    How true are those numbers. Not saying it's unlikely, just saying that a news outlet reported it. Those numbers aren't from Apple....officially. Society as taken, "if it's on the Internet, it must be true" to a disgusting level.

This is the advantage of Apple. Media backs them up without having hard numbers. Realistically, I can see this many OS updates in three days but not new device purchases.

Just like many have said about BlackBerry numbers, we'll have to wait until the quarterly results are in from Apple. If it's still around 9 mil, clearly the three day extravaganza was false. As if Apple would stop selling after three days. Correct me if I'm wrong but, at 9 mil, they are projecting a recording breaking quarter. Let's see if that holds true.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 07:26 AM
    Does anyone know the link for leak 1521 STL100-2 Z10 ?
    09-28-13 07:27 AM
    Your worries should stem beyond the media bashing. It's about profits and manufacturers really can careless if you bought a phone as long as it is their. Companies as we know will try to persuade average consumers any an fashion. If we all had to make choices base on performance we will be in some serious trouble.

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    09-28-13 07:31 AM
    iOS lacks customization which is an instant deal breaker for me, Android would be my ideal OS but most phones that run it are ugly as hell so I settle with BlackBerry which offers better customization than iOS and has a better design than most android phones imo.
    What is customizable about Blackberry now? BB10 is anything BUT customizable.
    09-28-13 07:31 AM
    All the other platforms have something that set them apart. iOS has apps and is easy to use. Android is for those who want high powered devices with tons of quirky features. Windows Phone is for those who want an amazing camera and for someone who wants something that really is different.

Then we get to BB10. Communication? Security? Those are both boring and are not wow factors. An amazing app store and stunning hardware is a wow factor. High end specs is a wow factor. A 41MP camera is a wow factor. BB10 has nothing. If communication and security is all BlackBerry has in store, then there will be a very short road ahead...that leads off a cliff. It's clear that consumers are not concerned with security and communication. It's not sexy or appealing.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 07:37 AM
    IOS requires itunes for a basic file transfer. I mostly use ifunbox, but it lacks the functionality of transferring files for some applications. That's what I hate about ios.
    And on the android camp, budget models suck. Budget feature phones were acceptable in the past, but today budget android phones are terrible to use. And sometimes it feels cluttered to use android.
    09-28-13 08:02 AM
    ....and tossing around meaningless buzz-word rhetoric like "communication is at the core of the DNA of blackberry, it is the soul of blackberry, and though all devices can comunicate, blackberry is always striving to communicate, it is for people who value that connection with others, who put a premium on social interaction, sharing ideas and thoughts - bonding with friends and family, and wish to do so with a device that places those things as a priority. blackberry is your mother, father, and family. Blackberry is connecting with those long lost classmates. blackberry is connecting with your community, getting involved, and making the world connected."

Then other diehards respond "yes, EXACTLY, thanks for putting it into words so clearly!" LOL

Sorry, OP, I think the premise of your post (though too simplistic to get anywhere) is good, and I thought your post nice, but it's absolutely STRIKING, how your BB paragraph devolves into vague phrases of marketing-speak. If you have trouble putting it into words....that's why....the reason you chose blackberry are nothing but subjective feelings about the BB brand....having said all that, there is nothing at all wrong with that. It's your choice.
    Interesting.. I do think that BlackBerry tries to find ways of making it easier to get stuff done, but you're right, it is a vague way to describe the brand. The "easy" and "open came quickly to mind, the ramble about BlackBerry didn't.
    09-28-13 09:16 AM
    What is customizable about Blackberry now? BB10 is anything BUT customizable.
    I said better customization than iOS, which has 0 customization aside from wallpapers. BB10 has an app that allows you to theme your phone at the very least.
    09-28-13 02:10 PM
    I said better customization than iOS, which has 0 customization aside from wallpapers. BB10 has an app that allows you to theme your phone at the very least.
    And there are apps for that in the Apple App Store too.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 04:12 PM
    blackberry is unique...

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 04:30 PM