So much of this, man. Just this week I was taking the bus in the city and a blind woman with a baby strapped in front of her was using the iPhone to tell her exactly where she is and then using Siri to send texts to her husband on her whereabouts. It almost made me cry.
    Oh come on. You know the iPhone is just a toy, and people who use Siri in pubic look foolish. Nothing good comes of iOS.
    06-12-12 01:49 PM
    All I see them doing is copying Android. All the things they announced are things I'm currently enjoying via ics. Google maps has BEEN in 3d! Chumps! Rim has the perfect opportunity to eat apples lunch. They should talk about how old the UI is. Then they should point out how you can't download files from the browser. IPhone is all hype. Amateur hour is over folks!
    Come back when double digit % of Android can actually access all these awesome new ICS features. OTOH, people who purchased an iPhone 3GS in mid 2009! will have access to the vast majority of iOS6's features.

I think this is a huge opportunity for RIM. Not because iOS isn't getting significantly better (it is) but because it gives RIM an opportunity to clearly position BB10 as the non-iOS platform which actually cares for the customer. The aha device's specs are tremendous, and it should be able to handle at least a few years worth of updates. This allows RIM to provide a very strong value proposition vs Android (we actually care for our customers years after the sale) and gives them a good story to tell developers (hey, we won't have 90+ % customers using 2-3 year old OS'es nearly half a year after releasing the newest version of the OS). If RIM gets decent sales of BB10, considering the high worth of loyal BB users, I can easily see it becoming the #2latform for devs and customers in very short time.

A few years of updates later, it also stands a good chance of becoming #1 for devs, as well as customers.
    DJM626 likes this.
    06-12-12 01:55 PM
    One "feature" that can be pointed out that is really interesting is the ability for smartphones to be "smart."

Microsoft came out with on-x last week, which sends notifications or takes certain actions based upon where you are.

Apple showed yesterday that you can silence a call and tell it to alert you when you leave, when you get to work, or when you get home. They, also, showed within Passbook that a movie ticket will appear on the lock screen when you get to the movie theatre, or a boarding pass will appear on the lock screen when you arrive at the airport.

Those might seem like small things, and, really, they are. But, it is huge in terms of the direction that technology and our phones are headed.

It is still not enough to make me get an iPhone (quite happy with the GSII), but that's part of the bigger picture in regards to where mobile technology is headed.
    06-12-12 01:56 PM
    Oh come on. You know the iPhone is just a toy, and people who use Siri in pubic look foolish. Nothing good comes of iOS.
    Makes it even sadder that BlackBerry can't compete with a "toy"
    06-12-12 02:01 PM
    No one in the US would probably notice as it is not nearly as popular or used here.

I didn't notice but then I deleted BBM a while ago. Don't like having useless apps (for me) on my phone.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    06-12-12 02:24 PM
    I've been using iOS 6 on my primary OS for about a day now and although it's lacking in the "revolutionary" new features, the changes are still very welcome. To me iOS 5 to iOS 6 feels like the jump from BlackBerry 6 to BlackBerry 7. Small but welcome.

The real star at WWDC was the new MacBook Pro. If I needed a new laptop and could afford to spend $2100+ I'd be waiting in line for it right now.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-12-12 03:19 PM
    I've been using iOS 6 on my primary OS for about a day now and although it's lacking in the "revolutionary" new features, the changes are still very welcome. To me iOS 5 to iOS 6 feels like the jump from BlackBerry 6 to BlackBerry 7. Small but welcome.

The real star at WWDC was the new MacBook Pro. If I needed a new laptop and could afford to spend $2100+ I'd be waiting in line for it right now.
    Almost agree with you , I have run ios6 on my primary device for awhile , no revolutionary change but I found a lot of minor change that they didn't mention like safari upload able , full screen safari , the more I have found , the more impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-12-12 04:52 PM

I'd get an Alienware laptop if I was going to spend that much money.
    06-13-12 01:21 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD