I've never owned a BB but I've always admired from a far...

I personally came from iOS and short timed webOS. I love my gnex but have always been intrigued by BB. So much so that I'm even considering getting one to play with. What are the pros/cons? Also, I don't play many games, I do browse a lot and YouTube but mostly deal with productivity type stuff.

Think it'd be a good fit?

PS- I realize I'm on a BB forum so I posted on android central as well lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    02-17-12 06:43 AM
    It might just be a good fit, but wait a year or year and a half until BB10 comes out, and gains some traction. Browsing isn't as good as what you're used to on BB7, and it's a dead platform anyways, considering BB10 is coming out (hopefully) later this year, and RIM put all of their eggs in that basket.
    02-17-12 06:52 AM
    OS7 will still be good at the time even when BB10 will be released, it's up to you if you want to wait or not.
    if you don't play that much games and browse alot/youtube a bb phone can do pretty the job.
    blackberry is an all kill pretty much for productivity, it gets the job done without any too much effort put in.
    if you look around, you see RIM is undergoing through a huge transition and many many good changes are coming in this year and going.
    02-17-12 07:05 AM
    How's the general buggy ness of the OS, do updates come out regularly? Also the battery life, how is it?

02-17-12 07:08 AM
    I've never owned a BB but I've always admired from a far...

I personally came from iOS and short timed webOS. I love my gnex but have always been intrigued by BB. So much so that I'm even considering getting one to play with. What are the pros/cons? Also, I don't play many games, I do browse a lot and YouTube but mostly deal with productivity type stuff.

Think it'd be a good fit?

PS- I realize I'm on a BB forum so I posted on android central as well lol

I've been using BBerries since I got my first one at work way back in '04. I got my first personal BB in '07. I've used Palm and Windows phones. I've briefly owned an iOS device and was not impressed at all. I currently own two Android devices and I'm using a Skyrocket. So right now I'm using my 9930 and also my Skyrocket simultaneously.

My preferred platform is BB. I can accomplish all I need to do on it with the least amount of hassle. It is perfect for me. Between BBM, BBM groups, email, calendar and banking, I really rely on my BB to get things done.
    I use my Skyrocket when I want a bigger screen to browse or play media. I don't play games. Most of my YouTube is on my Skyrocket. I am disappointed with the way my Skyrocket is handling my iTunes library, but that's just tweaking that I'll have to do. I do run Google Maps and Latitude on it and there is one app, the DC Metro app, that I use daily and which is sadly not available on the BB.

If I had to choose between my BB and my Skyrocket, I would choose my BB. For me, it simply does what I need to do best.

As far as BB10, the new devices are supposed to drop later this year. They are rumoured to be showcased in May at an event....can't remember which one right now. RIM has a history of delays, but saying that the new devices won't be available until a year and a half, as the poster above is stated, seems to me to be exaggeration. As to whether OS 7 is a dead platform, I suppose it depends on what one would mean by that. I've got three OS 7 devices, and I know that there will be releases to support them. I say this because there continue to be releases for OS 6 devices.

Be aware that there have been instances of OS7 devices bricking or nuking. I've experienced that with two of my three OS7 devices.

Personally, I am extremely happy with both my phones - my 9930 and my Skyrocket. As I said before, if I had to choose one and give up the other, I would absolutely keep my BB and give up my Skyrocket.
    02-17-12 07:09 AM
    thanks for the response. I've been reading up on the leaked device for os10 and I hope they don't go to the slab form factor, part of what intrigues me in the qwerty keyboard and the portability of BB. I guess time will tell. Thanks again for the input, if I can find a cheap one on Craigslist maybe I'll pick it up just to play with.

02-17-12 07:52 AM
    I'm a former Apple fanboy.
    And a Fandroid.
    I guess I love my BlackBerry because I use it to communicate. I don't have much games other than poker.

I'd go with the new OS7 devices. One with a keyboard is best.
    02-17-12 09:21 AM
    be Bold 9900.
    02-17-12 09:29 AM
    thanks for the response. I've been reading up on the leaked device for os10 and I hope they don't go to the slab form factor, part of what intrigues me in the qwerty keyboard and the portability of BB. I guess time will tell. Thanks again for the input, if I can find a cheap one on Craigslist maybe I'll pick it up just to play with.

Well, the first couple of models will be slabs, according to the leaks. They might make a kb model as well, but it's also likely that they'll stick to the slab formfactor to differentiate it from the old Blackberries.
    02-17-12 09:41 AM
    RIM has a history of delays, but saying that the new devices won't be available until a year and a half, as the poster above is stated, seems to me to be exaggeration. As to whether OS 7 is a dead platform, I suppose it depends on what one would mean by that. I've got three OS 7 devices, and I know that there will be releases to support them. I say this because there continue to be releases for OS 6 devices.

Be aware that there have been instances of OS7 devices bricking or nuking. I've experienced that with two of my three OS7 devices.
    Hey now, I didn't say they won't be out for a year and a half. I said it might take that long for them to get traction.

Assuming there will be no delays, there should be a BB10 device out in Q3-Q4. It wont be available in large numbers till early next year, by which time hopefully there might be a second BB10 device out. Theyll need to release an update to the OS to get rid of the early bugs, it'll take awhile to develop apps for them, and to port old BB apps over, so all in all a year and a half is a pretty good estimate as to when we'll know if the new platform is getting traction and is a success. Two years is even better

As to BB7 being a dead platform, it's obviously not like it'll stop working tomorrow. And RIM will still release updates and bug fixes for at least two years (they're obligated by law). And yes, we might even see a new device or two, even after BB10 comes out. But RIM has stated in no uncertain terms that BB10 is the future.
    You'll also see a lot of developers skip BB7 and move directly to BB10 since any old BB apps have to be rewritten for BB10. But even though it still has a year or two of life left in it, it IS a dead platform.
    02-17-12 09:56 AM
    OS7 will still be good at the time even when BB10 will be released, it's up to you if you want to wait or not.
    if you don't play that much games and browse alot/youtube a bb phone can do pretty the job.
    blackberry is an all kill pretty much for productivity, it gets the job done without any too much effort put in.
    if you look around, you see RIM is undergoing through a huge transition and many many good changes are coming in this year and going.
    He pretty much said it, and there's one other nifty little bonus; BlackBerry is still recognized worldwide as the most secure platform on the market
    02-17-12 09:58 AM
    I got the Galaxy Nexus when it came out. Used it for a month and went back to my BB 9930. I think you'd like it. Youtube video is good on it. The battery life on the BB is so much better than the GN. I got tired of toting a charger around.
    02-17-12 07:30 PM
    Will devices like the bold 9930 receive bb10? Obviously I understand that answers are on November opinionated basis but I was wondering what you guys think or if RIM has said anything official on that. I'm deff considering the trade.

03-11-12 12:55 PM
    Nope they will not get BB10.
    03-11-12 12:57 PM
    I don't think YouTube is bad on the 9900. It's a link to the mobile site, but since the mobile site was updated, it works very well. But the bigger screen of the slab phones is no doubt still better for that.

The browsing experience on the 9900 isn't bad except for some really busy pages with lots of things going on, like a lot of store pages (Best Buy etc). These can be tedious to deal with on the BB, but I don't think they're that sweet on slab phones either. For things like browsing forums, reading and posting etc., the 9900 is fine. And you can get Tapatalk to make it even better.

Battery life on the 99xx series is decent, but you have to watch what you're doing. In this respect it's unlike earlier BBs, which had so much extra power that you didn't have to be careful.

They keyboard really is wonderful, and if you load up auto-text with a lot of words and phrases that you use frequently, you can really fly along on it. The quicker you get used to using keyboard shortcuts, and even getting an app such as QuickLaunch to make even more of them, the more you enter the world of the BB.

Don't worry about BB10 til it gets here.
    03-11-12 01:29 PM
    Okay well i think i finally decided i will try and trade my galaxy nexus for a BB and put this curiosity to rest one way or another. What I'm trying to decide now us either the 9810 out the 9930. What are the major differences between form factor and screen size? Has anyone tried both? Which one did you choose and why? Thanks in advance

03-13-12 03:26 PM
    Okay well i think i finally decided i will try and trade my galaxy nexus for a BB and put this curiosity to rest one way or another. What I'm trying to decide now us either the 9810 out the 9930. What are the major differences between form factor and screen size? Has anyone tried both? Which one did you choose and why? Thanks in advance

9930:
    Pros
    Fantastic keyboard (+space to type)
    NFC
    thin body

Cons
    too wide for some people's liking
    small screen
    no auto focus camera

9810:
    Pros
    good keyboard (especially on the white version)
    nice screen size (same resolution as 9930 but physically considerably larger)
    Auto focus camera

Cons
    No NFC
    A bit thick and heavy

You decide. I chose the 9810 because I got used to a larger screen with the 9800, the 9930 was too wide for my liking, and I need a good quality camera for close up shots/detail.
    03-13-12 03:34 PM
    Thanks for the response.

03-13-12 03:44 PM
    I chose 9900 over 9810 because the keyboard on the 9900 is absolutely amazing and the 9810's keyboard is a bit below my bold 9700 KB in terms of usability, IMO. Its still a damn good keyboard though.

The Camera on the 9900 still takes pretty damn nice pictures and i haven't had a problem taking pics of cards or flyers from close and reading them. Yea, its NOT as good as my 9700 for closeups, but i can make out what i need to with close ups. Everything else, the 9900 camera is better at than my 9700.

I also have no need for the bigger screen and added bulk of the 9810. I've been using the bold/curve factor for years and love it. The screen on the 9900 is better than what i need.
    I might of got a 9790 if T-mobile USA offered them, since i am so used to my 9700 and the battery life is reportedly better.

Whichever you get, make sure to get the charging Dock. It protects the USB port and makes for an awesome alarm clock. Enjoy adjusting the profiles and the ease of use of communicating with a BB. It's awesome and incredibly efficient once you learn the platform.

GL and welcome to crackberry.
    03-13-12 11:23 PM
    Get both of them and switch off every few weeks, it's like getting a new phone every so often. Matter of fact, I'm thinking of getting a 9850 as well, just to add to the mix.
    03-14-12 10:21 AM
    Haha i like the way you think...to bad my wife would freak haha.

Anyways thanks for the suggestions and help everyone. Now i just gotta find someone to trade with.

Thanks again

03-14-12 11:11 AM
    I think it depends on what you like. You have a Nexus - would you be interested in touch devices, like the Torch? If you like to browse and watch YouTube, BlackBerry can easily do that for you. Either way, thank you for coming here to post! Happy hunting!
    03-14-12 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD