Hi,

I'd like to know if it is possible to share my Blackberry's Internet connection using USB, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. I'm not talking about using the phone as a modem like you can with Desktop Manager.

I don't mind installing software on the Blackberry but I can't install software on the connecting device, especially since the software probably won't work on it - I travel quite a bit and sometimes I just use a phone and a tablet.

I'm currently using a Bold 9000 with OS 5 but if I decide to go the Blackberry route I'll probably get a Torch (since it's the only touchscreen BB out there and it has the biggest screen).

Thanks
    02-01-11 01:22 PM
    Only was is to tether ... No Wifi Hotspot app available.
    02-01-11 01:23 PM
    Only was is to tether ... No Wifi Hotspot app available.
    And this means running Desktop Manager or other software on the connecting device and using the BB as a modem rather than just sharing the connection?
    02-01-11 01:36 PM
    Take a look at Cradlepoint routers. They will do what you want. There's even a battery powered unit for mobile applications.
    02-01-11 01:58 PM
    Take a look at Cradlepoint routers. They will do what you want. There's even a battery powered unit for mobile applications.
    Thanks, I had a look at those and it seems that they still work by tethering the Blackberry, which wasn't really what I wanted. If I'm abroad and using my UK plan it may be okay but very expensive. However if I can find a local Blackberry plan as I have done on occasion it may not be possible to have tethering.

Also using this in the UK would again be very expensive since it doesn't come out of the included BB data plan and there is no way to add to that plan other than per MB pricing.

Considering the cost of that router I would either be better off getting a phone that can do what I want outright and forgetting about Blackberry or getting a phone that can do Internet Connection Sharing that costs about the same as the Cradlepoint and getting local SIMs - that seems like a bit of a waste of money though.

My thanks to both of you.
    02-08-11 01:27 PM
    Several of the newer devices in the pipeline are supposed to have hotspots, if you can wait that long for one.
    02-08-11 02:48 PM
    Several of the newer devices in the pipeline are supposed to have hotspots, if you can wait that long for one.
    Unfortunately I can't wait beyond early to mid-April.

I'll probably have to go with an Android phone next.

Thanks.
    02-16-11 08:46 AM
    android is your best bet for that atm. good luck man

how did we all survive before we were able to connect to the internet everywhere? :P
    02-16-11 12:15 PM
    Just asking here, is doing what you want to do on the laptop on a Torch so bad. I do all of my internet searching/reading and emailing on my Torch now. Its not bad at all with word wrap and sites all the time are mobile views. Just a thought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-11 05:11 PM
    android is your best bet for that atm. good luck man
    Thanks. It's looking that way.

how did we all survive before we were able to connect to the internet everywhere? :P
    Lol. I've been able to do that for the last 12 years; unfortunately it's pretty much a requirement for me. I still keep my 2007 Windows Mobile phone on hand for that but its time to let it go.
    02-17-11 12:06 PM
    Just asking here, is doing what you want to do on the laptop on a Torch so bad. I do all of my internet searching/reading and emailing on my Torch now. Its not bad at all with word wrap and sites all the time are mobile views. Just a thought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Okay, since you asked

When it comes to web browsers I can't rely on the Torch browser being enough. I have to be certain that I can connect to the places I need to connect to when travelling and that can't be guaranteed with the browser on the phone. Still no sign of the promised Flash support either.

Then there is email. Email is actually really bad on the Blackberry. I know that that is supposed to be one of its strengths but the sad truth is that for those of us that use multiple mail systems it's pretty rubbish without proper IMAP support and I NEED support for IMAP folders on all my accounts.

The only other way to get this is to use Gmail, since blackberry has great support for Gmail and the label system but since I don't actually want to switch all my accounts to Gmail to be able to use them properly, I need a device that can deal with IMAP. I also need to be able to send mail from different identities but thats another story.

The Torch screen is tiny, the resolution is low and the device is massively underpowered and this is especially noticeable when browsing the web. With the Torch acquisition RIM started out with the slowest WebKit browser on the market and they coupled that with a CPU that had been in other devices for over six years when they released their flagship 2010 phones instead of putting a contemporary CPU into the devices.

I have a Blackberry Bold 9000 and I regularly have to wait while it locks up and shows the clock because an application is running. I don't actually run much on the Blackberry (because there isn't much to run) but my RSS reader, FreeRange, is more important to me than pretty much any other app on the Bold. When I looked into what I do with the phone, RSS ranked above everything else including email (No 2 on the list).

The other day the Bold had been totally frozen for almost two hours with the black clock spinning and no emails or SMSs, etc before I noticed it. The day before that it froze up while I was unlocking it. It looked like it was 100% unresponsive but it managed to receive the right clicks for it to place an unwanted call to the emergency services (even though the screen showed no change). Unfortunately while I could hear them, they couldn't hear me, so they put me through to the Police. This required a battery pull to fix.

[rant]
    Why did RIM go with a CPU from 2004 in 2010? To maintain battery life? No. Newer CPUs built with newer process are more power efficient. They did it because RIM are stupid and greedy and they took the gamble that they could use a truly old, cheap CPU, an old, cheap bus architecture and old, cheap RAM and get away with it. They thought that they could add a few more dollars to the bottom line with every handset sold and postpone the R&D costs needed to move to new hardware and still gain market share. A gamble that has failed spectacularly.

If the leaks are true then they will be bringing out hardware in Q3 and Q4 2011 and Q1 2012 that they should have brought out in Q3 2010. If they had brought these devices out last year, they could have done refreshes this year and then added dual -core and QNX at the high end next year.

They didnt and they have lost market share and perhaps more importantly they have lost a staggering amount of mindshare and looking at the new customers that they are getting where they have made gains it is clear that they are not gaining true Smartphone customers, just people who are buying low-end devices mainly to send texts messages (SMS/BBM) and perhaps to make a call or two. Not a solid foundation for the future.
    [/rant]

The bottom line is that I need a second device with me that I can rely on since I need to have access to various things while travelling. Blackberries also lack other features like VoIP I mean true VoIP, which I use with applications like Skype and I can do that with my tablet. The sad reality though is that I could probably get away with just one device if I went with an Android phone with a large screen.

Where does Blackberry work for me? Well I like the speed of the UI. I just find it very efficient to use especially when compared to the HTC Hero (Android) that Ive been using side-by-side with the Bold since last June. Its not just about how quickly it responds, its also about how many clicks, etc it takes to just get stuff done.

I like the fact that it does use less data when I'm travelling (but if I want to use a local SIM I'm probably going to be out of luck since I would need the Blackberry Service too; so not too good for longer trips).

I find that when I suddenly have to enter a piece of information into the phone I prefer the hardware keyboard (at other times software keyboards are fine).

I do like the efficiency of the email system i.e. all email comes down the one push channel even if you have several accounts (but as I pointed above the BIS system has some major shortcomings). I believe that this helps battery life a lot.

The Blackberry system has a number of things going for it that makes it almost there for me. With a few tweaks to the device software, some tweaks to BIS and a major overhaul of the hardware I could be very happy.
    02-17-11 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD