I have a query.

When downloading a file from The App World or email attachment, I have noticed that the download rate is intermittent.

There are bursts of speed and then a wait of about a second or 2 where there is the waiting clock symbol and then the download continues.

Is this because of the buffer being filled up or is it based on the network.
    I have noticed this occurs on both 2G and 3G networks.

I have used all sorts of cell phones and I have never experienced this. I have used far older devices and they have all downloaded files off the internet at a constant rate albeit a bit slower due to lack of 3G support.

I have asked people who own Blackberrys like the 8250 and the Bold 9700. They are different networks and all experience this periodic pause in their downloads.
    They shrugged it off as saying it's normal.

Yet I have experience in networking and cell phones to know this is not normal.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?
    10-29-10 08:45 AM
    This is normal, due to the nature of the Blackberry operating system I guess. I get annoyed by it as well but what can you do.
    10-29-10 09:46 AM
    I suspect it is a result of the way the BB interface works through RIM's servers to access the internet/content.

I noticed that my former 8330 and 9630 both did that. My Droid 2 does not do that, so it doesn't seem to be the cellular network itself, just the part where RIM comes into play. Whether it is the handheld or RIM's servers causing the bottleneck though, I cannot say.
    10-29-10 10:20 AM
    Then you add RIM servers security into the mix. I'm sure this also has a lot to do with the end result.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 10:34 AM
    Its the handheld. Its the way java handles data. This is why RIM needs to get away from java, but at the risk of security.
    10-29-10 12:53 PM
    Other phones use Java and I have never seen this. Having Java integration is great and many phones now support it. On what basis are you saying that this is a java problem?
    10-29-10 02:55 PM
    It most likely have to do with BIS and BES servers that the data goes through.
    10-29-10 03:26 PM
    I have a query.

When downloading a file from The App World or email attachment, I have noticed that the download rate is intermittent.

There are bursts of speed and then a wait of about a second or 2 where there is the waiting clock symbol and then the download continues.

Is this because of the buffer being filled up or is it based on the network.
    I have noticed this occurs on both 2G and 3G networks.

I have used all sorts of cell phones and I have never experienced this. I have used far older devices and they have all downloaded files off the internet at a constant rate albeit a bit slower due to lack of 3G support.

I have asked people who own Blackberrys like the 8250 and the Bold 9700. They are different networks and all experience this periodic pause in their downloads.
    They shrugged it off as saying it's normal.

Yet I have experience in networking and cell phones to know this is not normal.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?
    During an app download you'll see periodic pauses as the app is being installed - they don't download completely then unpack, it's done on the fly. Attatchments and anything else should download normally unless they're big files, then they'll get interrupted by any app that polls for updates or receiving pushed updates. Also major part of why some devices lag periodically while typing.
    10-30-10 01:08 AM
    It's been 10 minutes and its still stuck that way. How long does it take to fully DL?
    10-31-10 02:19 PM
    It's been 10 minutes and its still stuck that way. How long does it take to fully DL?
    Not entirely sure what "it" is, but the bigger "it" is the longer "it" will take. If you think there's a problem pull the battery and try again.
    10-31-10 02:37 PM
    Not entirely sure what "it" is, but the bigger "it" is the longer "it" will take. If you think there's a problem pull the battery and try again.
    the apps it's what "it's"?

It's about 3 MB's of apps.
    10-31-10 02:41 PM
    the apps it's what "it's"?

It's about 3 MB's of apps.
    When in doubt - battery pull. And if you're installing multiple apps OTA it's one at a time install. A poorly coded app has a good chance of hanging btw.
    10-31-10 04:13 PM
    When in doubt - battery pull. And if you're installing multiple apps OTA it's one at a time install. A poorly coded app has a good chance of hanging btw.
    That worked, thanks. I'll do it one by one next time.
    10-31-10 06:12 PM
    Hey guys I noticed that too if you downloaded more than one app. sometimes you don't have to do a battery pull just cancel all the downloads and do one at a time.
    10-31-10 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD