I doubt anyones black mailing the devs its just this is their money maker and why would they want to waste it on a platform that has no users (yet). I think after bb10 launches if enough people buy it we will definatly start seeing devs release apps.
    12-17-12 04:57 PM
    very illegal.
    this is not the case.
    i believe like many others, they cba to build an app for an unreleased platform.
    once it is released, they should come aboard
    12-17-12 05:42 PM
    Whatsapp is available on Android, Nokia Symbian and Windows Phone as well. There's no conspiracy here. It's just a matter of whether the dev feels the BB10 platform is worth their time and effort. It sucks but I don't really blame them for taking that approach.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-17-12 08:25 PM
    Okay then, let's assume 3 out of every ten people that currently have bb would switch to bb10. Let's just say that number is 21 million. Well, based on the fact people are contractually obligated still, this would mean that 21 million would likely take place over a 2 year time span. Throw in another 5 million from people switching from another platform and you have yourself 26 million bb10 users after 2 years (which would mean they are averaging over 1 million a month, which would be a surprise to me).

Even If that turns out to be the case though, then this would confirm that bb10 would still not be a viable platform to develop for initially, if ever. To even get to that 26m would likely take more than a 18 months after launch which could likely result in complete loss in developer interest by then. That's assuming the demand is even that great for 3/10 current users.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    But it's viable for WP8? I don't buy that.
    12-17-12 10:28 PM
    But it's viable for WP8? I don't buy that.
    It's widely known, that MS is more than willing to pay developers to make WP versions of their popular apps. The makers of Foursquare is one of the companies who have stated they would not have created a WP app without the subsidy. These "subsidies" can run as large as $600K.

Microsoft still paying developers to create Windows Phone apps | Microsoft - CNET News
    12-18-12 12:20 AM
    I think I'll skip the foil hat, thanks. It comes down to economics. The old BB OSes are becoming legacy just from the introduction of BB10. There is, however, still a version of WhatsApp in AppWorld for those. Right now, as certain as we are that BB10 will be a success, that's really not a given until sales prove it. When we consider how many iOS, Android, and, yes, Symbian phones are out there at $.99/year, a million BB10 users is not a lot of incentive to pay software engineers and support people for. I suspect they, like some other developers are waiting to see how well BB10 sells.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-18-12 02:05 AM
    whatsapp will come over. their biggest strength is they are cross platform.
    if they start denying platforms they weaken only themselves.
    they will come over once bb10 has enough people on. they probably doubt it will many ppl to begin with.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    12-18-12 02:45 AM
    It's widely known, that MS is more than willing to pay developers to make WP versions of their popular apps. The makers of Foursquare is one of the companies who have stated they would not have created a WP app without the subsidy. These "subsidies" can run as large as $600K.

Microsoft still paying developers to create Windows Phone apps | Microsoft - CNET News
    Right, so maybe those developers expect the same from RIM? Perhaps one reason they're holding back? Not so unbelievable now is it?
    12-18-12 02:53 AM
    Does that also effectively mean WP8 devs are mercenaries whereas devs that have chosen to develop an app for RIM (out of their portfolios) are doing it out of believe that they can monetize on BlackBerry10 platform then?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-18-12 03:43 AM
    Right, so maybe those developers expect the same from RIM? Perhaps one reason they're holding back? Not so unbelievable now is it?
    What's so unbelievable? That developers like free money?
    12-18-12 04:58 AM
    So they want the free money program? I think RIM already offers it.

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    12-18-12 05:45 AM
    Developers and some consumers alike are playing the wait and see game. There was an article saying that 70% would upgrade to BB10, which makes the numbers you're putting out seem small in comparison.
    All anyone can do is wait till BB10 is available for purchase
    12-18-12 07:03 AM
    So they want the free money program? I think RIM already offers it.
    LOL. That's funny.

Let's see what they offer......

MS will give you up to $600K to make an app for WP, that is, before you even start making the app.
    RIM will give you 10K after you submit the app, once it hits $1K worth of sales.

RIM's program was obviously designed for small shops making very simple and basic apps.

If you're a developer with a popular app looking at a few hundred K in development costs with no guarantee of getting it back, let alone profit...... who are you going to go with?
    kevinnugent and mikeo007 like this.
    12-18-12 07:30 AM
    LOL. That's funny.

Let's see what they offer......

MS will give you up to $600K to make an app for WP, that is, before you even start making the app.
    RIM will give you 10K after you submit the app, once it hits $1K worth of sales.

RIM's program was obviously designed for small shops making very simple and basic apps.

If you're a developer with a popular app looking at a few hundred K in development costs with no guarantee of getting it back, let alone profit...... who are you going to go with?
    Actually I think it's not even as good as that. If you submit an app that qualifies as "quality" under their criteria - and sells $1000 - they will give you a guarantee you will sell $10,000 in the first year or they will make up the difference. For an app like WhatsApp this would most likely not have any affect on their decision to build an app for BB10. If you sell $10,001 or more - RIM would in fact give you nothing.
    mikeo007 and Roo Zilla like this.
    12-18-12 07:53 AM
    I've always leaned towards the old silly riddle "which came first, the chicken or the egg" as what's happening with RIM and MS apps because it's a catch-22. You have developers hesitant to make apps for a new kid on the block because the userbase isn't as high as iPhone/Android, but yet the new OS needs a good app selection to succeed. You can see how this can be a no-win situation unless you can find a way to coerce those developers to take that risk. On a side note I wasn't a big fan of adding the Android VM to Blackberries because now that it's been around a while we haven't seen any evidence that it's encouraged more native development, and it also didn't bring many quality Android converted apps on board either. A boatload of side-loaded ones yes, but that had no positive effect on the App World.
    12-18-12 08:24 AM
    Is apple giving developers the nail?

Like a blackmail, you support bb10, and we no longer support you.

You guys think that's possible?

What makes you think it's Apple and not Google? That would seem more reasonable.

In the case of Whats App it has nothing to do with anybody. RIM has done everything it can to keep it off of BB phones. They've continually blocked it so why would they want to build an app that will most likely not make it.
    12-18-12 09:01 AM
    so, what you are saying is that whatsapp, which claim to fame is a multi platform messaging tool is getting paid off by apple, so that BB users can get pissed and ditch their blackberries and get an Iphone so that they can start using imessage which is extremely popular and ditch whatsapp all together?

here is my theory. I think apple paid netflix to pay skype to pay google to pay whatsapp so that they made sure RIM gets screwed. yeah that's it. Its either that, or maybe the unknown certainty of BB10 outside of these forums has developers focusing on other things? BB will finally get a phone that can compete with the others. Be happy. think positive. if its successful, they will come.
    mikeo007 and Roo Zilla like this.
    12-18-12 09:10 AM
    What makes you think it's Apple and not Google? That would seem more reasonable.

In the case of Whats App it has nothing to do with anybody. RIM has done everything it can to keep it off of BB phones. They've continually blocked it so why would they want to build an app that will most likely not make it.
    Yes You're quite right, it could be either.

12-18-12 09:50 AM
    so, what you are saying is that whatsapp, which claim to fame is a multi platform messaging tool is getting paid off by apple, so that BB users can get pissed and ditch their blackberries and get an Iphone so that they can start using imessage which is extremely popular and ditch whatsapp all together?

here is my theory. I think apple paid netflix to pay skype to pay google to pay whatsapp so that they made sure RIM gets screwed. yeah that's it. Its either that, or maybe the unknown certainty of BB10 outside of these forums has developers focusing on other things? BB will finally get a phone that can compete with the others. Be happy. think positive. if its successful, they will come.
    Still follows the same fundamentals.

Maybe You're right, it aint the good days no more

people are trying to destroy competition, not to outplay them.

12-18-12 09:51 AM
    I think it's possible, but I have a different theory. And my theory is that MS is behind this. Think about it, right now Apple or Droid has nothing really to fear as of yet. RIM specifically suggests that they would be happy to be 3rd which MS is vying for as well. With RIM's strategy to go onto mobile computing (Heins' comment about no longer needing a laptop idea) in the long haul, this will then eat up MS share even more considering how it's currently erroding due to Apple and various other OS's there. So to me it just makes sense that MS is behind the conspiracy here not Apple. I could be wrong but that's how I see it, and that is probably why BB10 will probably never ever see Skype on BB10. I can live with that, can you is the question. So I hope that Jan 30, goes on with a bang and I look forward to getting my hands on a BB10 device. And one more thing to add to my conspiracy theory...MS has a ton of money to buy out developers to go with your idea of being blackmailed not to support BB10. I hope that developers will see that BB10 has a lot more potential than MS. BTW, I played with the Surface RT last night, I was impressed with the hardware, but not with the OS. It doesn't seem that they really redid the OS from ground up as there are still layers that looks exactly like the old typical Windows but with a Metro Layer on top. I played Jetpack on it, and while there is some slight lag on the Playbook, I found more lag on the Surface. The surface is just a laptop, it's not a tablet or a hybrid or whatever one wants to call it. In the end it's just a laptop, still big clunky and heavy I found. Anyways, looking forward to January 30!!! Go RIM Go (This is from a previous non BB beliver...yes i hated the qwerty keyboard, still do which is why I never owned a BB, but I'm ready to jump on board of the BB10 London).
    12-18-12 09:55 AM
    Where's Brad Meltzer when you need him? He can get to the bottom of it.
    12-18-12 10:26 AM
    I've always leaned towards the old silly riddle "which came first, the chicken or the egg" as what's happening with RIM and MS apps because it's a catch-22. You have developers hesitant to make apps for a new kid on the block because the userbase isn't as high as iPhone/Android, but yet the new OS needs a good app selection to succeed. You can see how this can be a no-win situation unless you can find a way to coerce those developers to take that risk. On a side note I wasn't a big fan of adding the Android VM to Blackberries because now that it's been around a while we haven't seen any evidence that it's encouraged more native development, and it also didn't bring many quality Android converted apps on board either. A boatload of side-loaded ones yes, but that had no positive effect on the App World.
    I agree, I haven't seen a big increase in quality andrid apps that have been ported over to app world.

but they PlayBook would be a paper weight if we could not side-load Android Apps. Too bad so many of them don't always work

seems like the big push to have apps ported over by giving away PlayBooks last year only lead to a bunch of Book Apps (should not even be allowed) andRSS Feed Apps or Bookmark Apps.
    12-18-12 10:29 AM
    I'm confident it will be there at launch.
    The more platforms and more data they can mine, the more value is created in having someone buy them out.
    12-18-12 10:30 AM
    Why would they support it? Seriously?

It's a brand new platform with 50/50 chances of succeeding (or slightly worse, in reality).
    Why on earth would you go out and make a serious investment in money and time (which is even more money) when you don't know
    A: Whether it'll succeed at all.
    B: If it succeeds, will it only be in Nigeria and Indonesia, and not in the markets that are interesting for developers.
    C: if there will be serious bugs/technical issues.

On top of all of that you can add a shrug and "Meh, I guess they can just use the Android App player. If I make an Android app I'm covered both ways.

What any smart developer will do, is keep the playing field in mind, as well as the fact that its a 1.0 product and wait six months or a year and see how it's doing.

In tech circles, among developers, media and bloggers RIM is considered pretty much dead by the side of the road already, so making the decision to go out and develop for it takes a lot of persuasion and consideration...
    12-18-12 10:41 AM
    Hey, you guys better hurry up and figure out this conspiracy theory, December 21st will be here in 3 days!
    12-18-12 10:53 AM
80 1234