Yep, I brushed the side of my leg walking near the pool and in went the 2 month old Bold (in the stock holster). I scooped it out in about 2 seconds and pulled the battery. After shaking out the small amount of water (using a few G's in an armswing), the display was still clear. I dried it for a while in a warm oven and attempted to power it up later. The faults on booting were not seeing the SIMM and resulting in 'SOS' mode. Additional drying brought the Bold back to life in all ways but one.... UTMS (or ATT's 3G). It works all functions, all modes, but no 3G ... it stops at EDGE.

My questions relate to possible/probable causes. Is there a separate module for UTMS? Would an error show if the module is dead, or is it possible the SIMM was compromised and the phone won't register the UTMS network? Will the Bold find the UTMS network without the SIMM telling it where to look? Does anyone know of any diagnostic to assess the UTMS functionality?
    01-28-09 08:46 PM
    How long did you let it dry?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 07:32 PM
    Always pull the battery and throw it in a bag of rice for at least 24 hours... I wouldn't use an oven
    01-29-09 07:45 PM
    Please tell me that I didn't just read that you but your Bold inside an oven. FightClub's suggestion is usually the best. Yesterday someone had a problem with coffee being spilled on his pearl and today reported that it was working fine after using a similar method.
    01-29-09 08:08 PM
    The oven temp was like a hot car interior ... say 120 F. Just to get the dry air circulating (not hot enough to damage anything). I didn't have any silica gel handy. I dried it for several hours, but not a full 24 hours.

It was in the water only about 2 seconds and didn't even soak into the screen, and it functions normally except for locating the UTMS network. The two water tapes are red, but the battery marker is white, go figure.

Perhaps I rushed it a bit. I am mainly curious if anyone has seen the rf side for the UTMS (1900 or 2100 Mhz) die. I think it uses the same module for both, doesn't it? The antenna connections look good, but I am suspecting the capacitive coupler right between the module and the antenna connection.

From reading the forums, it seems this may be to my advantage with all the 3G flakiness (and yes, I did see some of that before) reported. Just kidding.
    01-30-09 02:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD