I am not sure if this belongs in this section but I wanted to share a comment that a senior level executive from Apple made to me.

I won't get into how or why I know them but I asked what they thought of RIM and Blackberry in general and what was it that Apple has done right in the last few years.

They said BB is a good product that use to be great. In their opinion they still have a chance to turn the corner and make a come back if they can change it up and identify who and what their market is and were there is room for growth.

For them at Apple they felt consumers were more important than business/corporate driven sales. That building brand loyalty and in-person customer support via their stores was really the way to go. Have to say with Apple and Exxon-Mobile battling out for the most valued company in the U.S. says a lot.

And to the executive's credit they did NOT BASH RIM - their comment basically pointed out that RIM, like Apple did a few years ago, needs to reinvent themselves and come out swinging with something new.
    08-12-11 01:00 PM
    The only reason Apple's iPhone is a little more successful as opposed to the competition is because of their prior Apple products, and how hipsters generally tend to love them. Developers flocked over to learn objective C and made loads of applications - something BlackBerry lacks in comparison to its competition too.
    08-12-11 01:09 PM
    The only reason Apple's iPhone is a little more successful as opposed to the competition is because of their prior Apple products, and how hipsters generally tend to love them. Developers flocked over to learn objective C and made loads of applications - something BlackBerry lacks in comparison to its competition too.
    Remember a company with over $70 Billion in cash reserves isn't catering to just hipster. If you simply look at it at face value APPS are what the average consumer want even though they might not use a single one - better to have the option then not is how most people view things.
    08-12-11 01:11 PM
    For them at Apple they felt consumers were more important than business/corporate driven sales. That building brand loyalty and in-person customer support via their stores was really the way to go.
    Apple has always been about the consumer market first where as RIM has been business first.

I will give credit that Apple's customer support is top notch. People who I know that walk into the apple stores and come out very happy to own an Apple product because Apple swallowed the cost of replacing a screen or something that was maybe $50 (just thrown a figure out).

In reality what they are doing is securing a future purchase that will make the customer spend that $600-$1000 because of that great customer service. And even better that customer will rave to their friends/family about it. That is one of the best marketing.

Compare that to people who call in to RIM for support. Right now they are not that bad but nothing like Apple either, (there still not at Dell's level...).

Start supporting your customers and they will be happy to promote your new product.

And to the executive's credit they did NOT BASH RIM - their comment basically pointed out that RIM, like Apple did a few years ago, needs to reinvent themselves and come out swinging with something new.
    Most professional executives show respect for one another in business. That is one sign that a person is a mature individuals. Only really immature individuals BASH on products.

As for whether or not you were really talking to an execute, I'll go with the benefit of the doubt and say if you were.
    08-12-11 01:16 PM
    As for whether or not you were really talking to an execute, I'll go with the benefit of the doubt and say if you were.
    Well they are. I am doing some work for APPLE Corp and me and several others were at a meeting here in Los Angeles when I was with talking them. Essentially the person is in charge of the project and last I look, their title is Senior Vice President.....
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 08-12-11 at 01:29 PM.
    08-12-11 01:25 PM
    The only reason Apple's iPhone is a little more successful as opposed to the competition. . .
    A "little" more successful? The iPhone alone generates 28% of industry revenue and 66% of industry profit. Objectively, the iPhone is a LOT more successful than its competition, at least when it comes to making money.

As for RIM, they're one solid product away from getting back on their feet. The issue seems to be that they believed the PlayBook would be that product, but at this point it simply hasn't been. As long as they're releasing products, they're in the game.
    08-12-11 04:24 PM
    The only reason Apple's iPhone is a little more successful as opposed to the competition is because of their prior Apple products, and how hipsters generally tend to love them.
    Damn hipsters always ruining everything.
    08-12-11 04:40 PM
    Not all of us had the rosiest customer support with Apple...
    I know it happens with all companoes but still... Apple f-ed me up...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 05:00 PM
    Damn hipsters always ruining everything.
    That's why I can't visit friends in Brooklyn - hat wearing dudes with skinny jeans so tight on guys that you can see the change in their pockets.. Agh!!
    08-13-11 11:25 AM
    I do in fact love my blackberry but I have to say we do have a lot of room for improvement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 11:33 AM
    That's why I can't visit friends in Brooklyn - hat wearing dudes with skinny jeans so tight on guys that you can see the change in their pockets.. Agh!!
    Haha. Every time I pass through Williamsburg I try to not pay attention to anything but the street. Hipster nation over there it is ridiculous.

Apple does not only sell to hipsters though (not saying you said that, just a generalization). I really enjoy my iPhone, and I am not a hipster.
    08-13-11 11:44 AM
    Haha. Every time I pass through Williamsburg I try to not pay attention to anything but the street. Hipster nation over there it is ridiculous.

Apple does not only sell to hipsters though (not saying you said that, just a generalization). I really enjoy my iPhone, and I am not a hipster.
    For sure I totally agree. I was just adding some humor to the thread is all as I am the farthest thing from a hipster but I still like using Apple products. I am going to take a look at the Bold 9900 when it comes out or I might wait to go with an iPhone so I can get rid of my iPod and only have one device.
    08-13-11 11:48 AM
    For sure I totally agree. I was just adding some humor to the thread is all as I am the farthest thing from a hipster but I still like using Apple products. I am going to take a look at the Bold 9900 when it comes out or I might wait to go with an iPhone so I can get rid of my iPod and only have one device.
    Nice, both are good choices. I am going to pick up the new iPhone and then purchase a QNX smartphone when they finally (hopefully) arrive. I may just have to buy a 9900 as well because I loved my 9000 so much. I do not care for OS 7 though so I most likely will not.
    08-13-11 11:49 AM
    Apple has attention to detail and follow through going for it as well. If you notice the product displays in retail outlets, particularly with new items like tablets, after few weeks the displays are ransacked wreckage, the demo units often non-functioning, and it cuts across brands -- Blackberry, Droids, Acers, HPs -- but someone takes the trouble to maintain the Apple stands which are in comparatively better order. I'm not sure how they do it, maybe Apple pays the retailers a little something extra and then keeps Apple reps in the field to make sure their products are being presented to good effect. That likely costs Apple a lot of money, but it serves part of their priceless branding and doubtless pays for itself in increased sales. Of course the summit for effective product presentation is the Apple Store, but they also work to bring some of that vibe to their displays in carrier stores, Best Buys, Staples, etc.
    08-13-11 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD