Well, since it's BT, it will include its own battery? Might make it a functional detachable? Also might consider letting it double as a "battery case" for extending duration?

I've never, personally, seriously entertained using a horizontal but am quite excited about your project. Should you ever pursue a vertical design, these two suggestions above should prove compatible to that as well. Not sure how it might interact with horizontal but track pad proves quite useful to assisting navigation and editing on vertical designs. Just a thought.

A vertical design could justify a dedicated thread itself so probably best to not risk hijacking this horizontally oriented thread. Best of luck! Will follow with great interest!
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-31-19 02:07 AM
    Yup if you ever give a shot at a vertical design, I'll be all over it
    12-31-19 10:43 PM
    Well, since it's BT, it will include its own battery? Might make it a functional detachable? Also might consider letting it double as a "battery case" for extending duration?

I've never, personally, seriously entertained using a horizontal but am quite excited about your project. Should you ever pursue a vertical design, these two suggestions above should prove compatible to that as well. Not sure how it might interact with horizontal but track pad proves quite useful to assisting navigation and editing on vertical designs. Just a thought.

A vertical design could justify a dedicated thread itself so probably best to not risk hijacking this horizontally oriented thread. Best of luck! Will follow with great interest!
    Thanks for your feedback! Regarding your questions and suggestions:

- Yes, the keyboard will have it's own battery. 2-3 days charge and can be recharged in 40 minutes via USB-C
    - I will keep a detachable keyboard option in mind. Could be useful if you don't want to hold onto the phone.
    - Will consider having it come with a reverse charging cable to have it be used to charge the phone. Like your thinking.
    - Vertical design is tough due to weight balance. If I can balance the weight so the phone doesn't feel top heavy I will sell it.
    - Interesting thought with the trackpad. I'll see what I can do.

If you have any more questions, comments or suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks for your feedback!

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    01-01-20 12:19 AM
    Yup if you ever give a shot at a vertical design, I'll be all over it
    That seems to be the general consensus on here and on r/blackberry. Will be putting more energy into that. I'd like to have a vertical slider too.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    the_boon likes this.
    01-01-20 12:22 AM
    That seems to be the general consensus on here and on r/blackberry. Will be putting more energy into that. I'd like to have a vertical slider too.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    Vertical design is really important, at least for BlackBerry users, if you’re intending to harness their support. Any idea though, on how many quantity are needed, to make project viable? We’ve seen an entire PKB device happen with Unihertz @ 3K units.
    01-01-20 06:48 AM
    Vertical design is really important, at least for BlackBerry users, if you’re intending to harness their support. Any idea though, on how many quantity are needed, to make project viable? We’ve seen an entire PKB device happen with Unihertz @ 3K units.
    Still unsure at the moment. I'm negotiating with manufacturers with how much the keyboard element will be and need to see how much the attachment piece will be. Will let you know when I have a number.

If you have any more questions or comments please let us know. Thank you.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    Rico4you and the_boon like this.
    01-01-20 05:29 PM
    The "top heavy" concern of a vertical configuration is well justified. Imo. Adding vertical length to an already too large host slab will only make it taller. Increasing moment arm distance to COG will likely tend to aggravate chassis roll rate amplitude.

Slowing the chassis natural frequency into a range intersecting with achievable typing rate frequency is precisely why my "top heavy" K1 tries to rock from my fingers when approaching faster wpm type rates. Especially when rapidly following a top row character with a bottom row character and back again. Things can get to bouncing distractively on "top heavy" k1. In my hand, at least. At least a few others concur also. K1's "natural frequency" just happened to find a slow enough resonance critical to interact negatively with achievable type rate frequencies. As things turned out.

Fortunately, lower COG K2LE proves that it doesn't take so much to tune around that natural critical, tho. LE's shorter moment arm increased its natural frequency safely beyond any type rate frequencies achievable in MY hand, at least. Improving LE's stability enough to promote about a 15% wpm improvement over K1, in my hand.

Ready proof that it's not an insurmountable issue. Just need to recognize that shorter moment arm distances to COG are generally better for handset dynamic stability, imo. Keeping keyboard distances short as possible to COG has proven quite effective for legacy BB vertical designs. Exquisitely so, in some examples. Whether by design, or by accident? Lol.

One way to minimize moment arm length to COG might be to confine KB placement within existing footprint of the host device? Pursuing such a strategy inevitably leads to occluding some portion of screen estate with the PKB. At least while typing. ? Occlusion not readily accepted by "consumers" fiercely jealous of every pixel. Lol.

Convincing resistant consumers that they really don't need so much screen estate *while typing* might prove a challenge in itself... lol. Of course that's not likely the market you'd be targeting. ?

With a slider configuration, the front mounted KB could be readily slid out of the way to reveal the entire screen when desired?

The next challenge posed by occluding screen estate might be finding software solutions accommodating necessary display alterations. ??

Just some nutty musings of a freshly retired old codger, fwiw... lol
    01-02-20 07:26 AM
    The "top heavy" concern of a vertical configuration is well justified. Imo. Adding vertical length to an already too large host slab will only make it taller. Increasing moment arm distance to COG will likely tend to aggravate chassis roll rate amplitude.

Slowing the chassis natural frequency into a range intersecting with achievable typing rate frequency is precisely why my "top heavy" K1 tries to rock from my fingers when approaching faster wpm type rates. Especially when rapidly following a top row character with a bottom row character and back again. Things can get to bouncing distractively on "top heavy" k1. In my hand, at least. At least a few others concur also. K1's "natural frequency" just happened to find a slow enough resonance critical to interact negatively with achievable type rate frequencies. As things turned out.

Fortunately, lower COG K2LE proves that it doesn't take so much to tune around that natural critical, tho. LE's shorter moment arm increased its natural frequency safely beyond any type rate frequencies achievable in MY hand, at least. Improving LE's stability enough to promote about a 15% wpm improvement over K1, in my hand.

Ready proof that it's not an insurmountable issue. Just need to recognize that shorter moment arm distances to COG are generally better for handset dynamic stability, imo. Keeping keyboard distances short as possible to COG has proven quite effective for legacy BB vertical designs. Exquisitely so, in some examples. Whether by design, or by accident? Lol.

One way to minimize moment arm length to COG might be to confine KB placement within existing footprint of the host device? Pursuing such a strategy inevitably leads to occluding some portion of screen estate with the PKB. At least while typing. ? Occlusion not readily accepted by "consumers" fiercely jealous of every pixel. Lol.

Convincing resistant consumers that they really don't need so much screen estate *while typing* might prove a challenge in itself... lol. Of course that's not likely the market you'd be targeting. ?

With a slider configuration, the front mounted KB could be readily slid out of the way to reveal the entire screen when desired?

The next challenge posed by occluding screen estate might be finding software solutions accommodating necessary display alterations. ??

Right, the only modern slabs I'd want to use a keyboard case would have to be very light to begin with, and not too tall.
    And the case WILL need a chin unlike the Typo cases.

Right now the only ones I can really think of are the Pixel 3/3a, and I'd want the case to cover up the bottom bezel.
    Also, the case should definitely have most of its weight at the very bottom.

Can't really find good quality phones that weigh at least 145g these days
    01-03-20 07:58 AM
    I don't see how one size fits all, will work.. Phones might all look the same, but dimensions vary greatly. Placement of fingerprint readers on back of some phones, cameras and flash units, even buttons on the side, wireless charging . I really don't see how you do it without targeting specific devices.

Sorry I don't mean to sound negative.... but if you combine the three crowd sourced projects - Titian, F(x)tec Pro 1 and the Cosmo, total they haven't moved 50K units. I think you need to be looking at about 5K.... if you can't make it work at that level, there is no reason to go any further.

Great thing about a kickstarter is you don't have to take all the risk on yourself You will need to come up with your designs and the HOW and HOW MUCH. And then you can see if there are enough people interested.
    01-03-20 08:22 AM
    Right, the only modern slabs I'd want to use a keyboard case would have to be very light to begin with, and not too tall.
    And the case WILL need a chin unlike the Typo cases.

Right now the only ones I can really think of are the Pixel 3/3a, and I'd want the case to cover up the bottom bezel.
    Also, the case should definitely have most of its weight at the very bottom.

Can't really find good quality phones that weigh at least 145g these days
    I'm too fond of single handed, sight unseen, typing to find much interest in horizontal form factors but can certainly understand OP's desire to keep things as predictable as possible. Horizontal inherently tends to minimize KB distance to COG. Fairly predictably.

I certainly appreciate OP's hesitation to attempt vertical. Distance between key press forces and COG can too easily make or break vertical configuration. Adding a keyboard under an already too tall slab might not afford as predictable performance as horizontal might.

Some possible mitigations might include adding mass (battery) to the bottom mounted KB. That added battery then could help extend host device endurance while effectively lowering gross COG.

Also, experience with extended battery Bolds convinced me, long ago, that the added thickness and ledge provided by the extended battery assisted typing proficiency! I type fastest with fewest errors on my 99 with extra thick extended battery cover fitted. The added grasp promotes chassis stability and assists tilting the chassis while reaching distant keys.

Ultra thin & huge handsets are really not compatible with PKB. Unlike zero force, zero displacement, touch typing, physical keys demand some slight force and some slight displacement to achieve discrete inputs. Forces and displacements that must be reacted to in equal and opposite ways. Per Sir Newton. Lol. Reactions that ultimately derive from a grasping hand. Better grasp is better for pkb. Imo.

Therefore, I might suggest contemplating a pkb attachment fitted under a vertical slab to be as heavy and as thick as possible. A ledge on the back available for first finger grasp might be located at about, or above, effective COG point. Would be my suggestion for optimal PKB retrofit under a vertical slab. Fwiw

I have zero experience with horizontal but can visualize where similar principles might apply to that also??
    01-03-20 01:44 PM
    Still unsure at the moment. I'm negotiating with manufacturers with how much the keyboard element will be and need to see how much the attachment piece will be. Will let you know when I have a number.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    Maybe try to design a keyboard that stores behind the phone but flips up over the portion of the screen that shows the virtual keyboard. That would solve the weight ergonomics issue. The keyboard could also have a small battery that wirelessly connects with the mother ship (phone). Only a portrait keyboard design will do.
    01-04-20 02:01 AM
    i think the horizontal keyboard will never be so good like the vertical. You have to change how you hold the device (it will take precious miliseconds, and will happen all the time) , and the horizontal display is bad for many apps ....a common situation is while i am typing , i keep changing apps to see and type information , so it would be almost not possible on horizontal display. And, although it is a matter of get used , i think typing on such a large keyboard is not so confortable as on a vertical one.
    I prefer to carry in my backpack and attach a big PKB (like a K480 logitech) to type an eventual long text instead of using a horizontal device keyboard to do it
    Last edited by aluiziomachado; 01-04-20 at 07:53 AM.
    01-04-20 07:21 AM
    Reading these posts - perhaps the solution for a vertical keyboard is one like Samsung's previous offering, which covers up part of the screen? that would turn the device into the same format as the KEY devices.

It would require software to know when the case is attached, of course, so the screen could adjust. But wouldn't that be a great solution to this problem of the device becoming top heavy?

I don't mind losing screen space and I don't think most BlackBerry users will either. We're used to the KEY-sized screens.
    idssteve likes this.
    01-04-20 09:14 AM
    having had he Priv I thought it would be the best of both worlds, but just out of convenience I typed on screen probably 99% of the time, instead of using the keyboard. my fear for an add on keyboard is just that...I see very few people adopting or actually using an add on keyboard, and I say this as a die-hard keyboard lover, typing this on my KEY2...
    01-05-20 09:58 AM
    having had he Priv I thought it would be the best of both worlds, but just out of convenience I typed on screen probably 99% of the time, instead of using the keyboard. my fear for an add on keyboard is just that...I see very few people adopting or actually using an add on keyboard, and I say this as a die-hard keyboard lover, typing this on my KEY2...
    The Typo gen 1 keyboard case for iPhone 5S/SE and the Samsung S8/+ keyboard cases were okay to type on.

Nothing special, but more enjoyable than glass.
    01-05-20 11:43 AM

Hi, thanks for your feedback. Love to see all this feedback. Regarding your concerns:

- COG is going to be really hard to balance since the design is meant to be universal and go with all phones. May see if there's a way I can adjust the slider to different phones, but we'll see.
    - Having the keyboard on the screen would likely make the keyboard have the same mushy feel as the S8/S8+ keyboard cases. It's going to be really heavy/really thick if the keys will be clicky and be on the screen.
    - Software's another issue too, having to make that idea work with many different apps.
    - My idea is going to try and make it slide out like a vertical keyboard phone, balance issues are the big thing. Will do what I can.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns please don't hesitate to let me know.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    the_boon likes this.
    01-11-20 10:58 AM
    I don't see how one size fits all, will work.. Phones might all look the same, but dimensions vary greatly. Placement of fingerprint readers on back of some phones, cameras and flash units, even buttons on the side, wireless charging . I really don't see how you do it without targeting specific devices.

Sorry I don't mean to sound negative.... but if you combine the three crowd sourced projects - Titian, F(x)tec Pro 1 and the Cosmo, total they haven't moved 50K units. I think you need to be looking at about 5K.... if you can't make it work at that level, there is no reason to go any further.

Great thing about a kickstarter is you don't have to take all the risk on yourself You will need to come up with your designs and the HOW and HOW MUCH. And then you can see if there are enough people interested.
    Hi, thank you for your feedback. Regarding your concerns:

- I have been designing the keyboard and slider mechanism around over 50 different smartphones and made sure it will fit them. Some phones may not work but in the future with more fingerprint sensors being in screen or on the side and cameras being put in the corner and not the center.
    - I'm still working on designing the product. Can't really say how many I need to make.
    - Been looking at Kickstarter for funding, will try to do a mix of that and outside funding.
    If you have anymore questions, comments or concerns please let us know.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    01-11-20 11:03 AM
    I'm too fond of single handed, sight unseen, typing to find much interest in horizontal form factors but can certainly understand OP's desire to keep things as predictable as possible. Horizontal inherently tends to minimize KB distance to COG. Fairly predictably.

I certainly appreciate OP's hesitation to attempt vertical. Distance between key press forces and COG can too easily make or break vertical configuration. Adding a keyboard under an already too tall slab might not afford as predictable performance as horizontal might.

Some possible mitigations might include adding mass (battery) to the bottom mounted KB. That added battery then could help extend host device endurance while effectively lowering gross COG.

Also, experience with extended battery Bolds convinced me, long ago, that the added thickness and ledge provided by the extended battery assisted typing proficiency! I type fastest with fewest errors on my 99 with extra thick extended battery cover fitted. The added grasp promotes chassis stability and assists tilting the chassis while reaching distant keys.

Ultra thin & huge handsets are really not compatible with PKB. Unlike zero force, zero displacement, touch typing, physical keys demand some slight force and some slight displacement to achieve discrete inputs. Forces and displacements that must be reacted to in equal and opposite ways. Per Sir Newton. Lol. Reactions that ultimately derive from a grasping hand. Better grasp is better for pkb. Imo.

Therefore, I might suggest contemplating a pkb attachment fitted under a vertical slab to be as heavy and as thick as possible. A ledge on the back available for first finger grasp might be located at about, or above, effective COG point. Would be my suggestion for optimal PKB retrofit under a vertical slab. Fwiw

I have zero experience with horizontal but can visualize where similar principles might apply to that also??
    Main issue with having a super heavy keyboard and is that while it will balance out the COG, it's heavy and thick. Going to be hard to put in your pocket, hard to hold, etc. Like the idea of making it a range extender for the phone however. May make it more acceptable to be thicker. Thanks for letting me know your experience with the Bold 9900. Know that's a popular phone on here.

If you have anymore comments, suggestions, or feedback, please let me know. Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    01-11-20 11:12 AM
    Maybe try to design a keyboard that stores behind the phone but flips up over the portion of the screen that shows the virtual keyboard. That would solve the weight ergonomics issue. The keyboard could also have a small battery that wirelessly connects with the mother ship (phone). Only a portrait keyboard design will do.
    Flipping over the virtual keyboard would be really hard to hold in your hand since it will be super thick. Wireless connecting batteries would be incredibly expensive. Going to do a separately charging battery on the keyboard that lasts 2-3 days and charges to 100% in ~40 minutes via USB-C.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    01-11-20 11:18 AM
    i think the horizontal keyboard will never be so good like the vertical. You have to change how you hold the device (it will take precious miliseconds, and will happen all the time) , and the horizontal display is bad for many apps ....a common situation is while i am typing , i keep changing apps to see and type information , so it would be almost not possible on horizontal display. And, although it is a matter of get used , i think typing on such a large keyboard is not so confortable as on a vertical one.
    I prefer to carry in my backpack and attach a big PKB (like a K480 logitech) to type an eventual long text instead of using a horizontal device keyboard to do it
    Hi, thanks for your feedback, regarding your concerns:

- Everyone's different. Personally I found my love of the physical keyboard by typing on my horizontal slider LG Extrovert and missed that feeling when I missed to my S5 and S7 Edge. Tons of people on here love vertical Blackberry phones. Ideally we will sell both vertical and horizontal keyboards to satisfy both markets.
    - Horizontal has gotten better on phones, some apps still are a bit weird but I'd expect to see developers add a fix one day.
    - When typing, you can put the screen into split view so you can view multiple apps at once since there's no keyboard in the way. This is on all Android phones and works in both vertical and horizontal view.

If you have any more questions, suggestions, or comments please let us know. Thank you.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    01-11-20 11:29 AM
    Reading these posts - perhaps the solution for a vertical keyboard is one like Samsung's previous offering, which covers up part of the screen? that would turn the device into the same format as the KEY devices.

It would require software to know when the case is attached, of course, so the screen could adjust. But wouldn't that be a great solution to this problem of the device becoming top heavy?

I don't mind losing screen space and I don't think most BlackBerry users will either. We're used to the KEY-sized screens.
    While I loved the idea of the Samsung keyboards, unfortunately the keyboard was super mushy and had no back light. Would't be a good feel for typing. Also software would be really hard to put on all phones and having an attachment work with all phones. It's a great idea to balance out COG, but the feel wouldn't be that good when typing.

If you have any more questions, suggestions, or comments please let us know. Thank you.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    01-11-20 11:33 AM
    Can't wait to see what this will look like
    01-12-20 02:05 AM
    I really like this idea and it is something I would buy. Mostly if I couldn't find a good option for an integrated qwerty pkb.

I don't think this is going to be a competitor for the Pro1; at $700 that is not for everyone. There are many good phones for around $200 or less, namely if one consider 3-year old phones or so. Adding the proposed price for this accessory still puts it in a different market than the Pro1.

Have you heard about "The Other Half"? It is a third party sliding qwerty PKB designed specifically for a Jolla phone. I'd suggest reading reviews and user opinions on that. I believe one of the major drawbacks was the already mentioned COG. Hopefully, there is something to learn from this previous attempt.

Regarding the camera, it wouldn't bother me if I would have to slide the phone. I actually like sliders. I had a Samsung D500, a slider that kept the camera hidden unless the keyboard was opened. I loved that little phone. Perhaps a nice software addition would be to launch the cam app when the keyboard is opened. Of course, this would have to be optional and configurable (e.g., launch cam after sliding the pkb from locked screen or home screen).

I also had (still have but don't use it) a Xperia Pro, which has a horizontal sliding pkb. Upon sliding, it shifts the screen to landscape mode. I found the transition rather smooth. Also, I could jump from horizontal pkb to vertical pkb with no problem. One just gets used to it.

If the vertical design becomes complicated, perhaps a design like the Nokia E55 helps to make it a bit more compact. I also loved typing on that thing. It is a semi-qwerty, which worked brilliantly because the software was really good. Because of the way the software worked, I could type faster on that than on a full qwerty (I mean, typing with 2 thumbs).

If you are going to develop software to work with this, I'd love to see that natively available to different platforms. Personally, I'm considering the switch from BB10 to SailfishOS X, and I'm sure there are other users that would love to use a PKB with that OS.

Looking forward to seeing updates on this!
    the_boon likes this.
    01-15-20 02:14 PM
    I really like this idea and it is something I would buy. Mostly if I couldn't find a good option for an integrated qwerty pkb.

I don't think this is going to be a competitor for the Pro1; at $700 that is not for everyone. There are many good phones for around $200 or less, namely if one consider 3-year old phones or so. Adding the proposed price for this accessory still puts it in a different market than the Pro1.

Have you heard about "The Other Half"? It is a third party sliding qwerty PKB designed specifically for a Jolla phone. I'd suggest reading reviews and user opinions on that. I believe one of the major drawbacks was the already mentioned COG. Hopefully, there is something to learn from this previous attempt.

Regarding the camera, it wouldn't bother me if I would have to slide the phone. I actually like sliders. I had a Samsung D500, a slider that kept the camera hidden unless the keyboard was opened. I loved that little phone. Perhaps a nice software addition would be to launch the cam app when the keyboard is opened. Of course, this would have to be optional and configurable (e.g., launch cam after sliding the pkb from locked screen or home screen).

I also had (still have but don't use it) a Xperia Pro, which has a horizontal sliding pkb. Upon sliding, it shifts the screen to landscape mode. I found the transition rather smooth. Also, I could jump from horizontal pkb to vertical pkb with no problem. One just gets used to it.

If the vertical design becomes complicated, perhaps a design like the Nokia E55 helps to make it a bit more compact. I also loved typing on that thing. It is a semi-qwerty, which worked brilliantly because the software was really good. Because of the way the software worked, I could type faster on that than on a full qwerty (I mean, typing with 2 thumbs).

If you are going to develop software to work with this, I'd love to see that natively available to different platforms. Personally, I'm considering the switch from BB10 to SailfishOS X, and I'm sure there are other users that would love to use a PKB with that OS.

Looking forward to seeing updates on this!
    Thanks for your feedback! Regarding your comments/suggestions:
    - In a sense we would sort of compete with F(x)Tec, depending on the phone and the price. It's a one time purchase accessory that can go to pretty much any smartphone. If you want it with a really nice phone (Note 10+, iPhone 11 Pro, etc), you can get it with that. If you want it with a cheaper phone (older flagships,etc) you can use it with that. Just depends on the price of your phone.
    - Have not heard of The Other Half. From the five minutes I spent researching it it sounds interesting. Will look more into it though.
    - The keyboard itself is a Bluetooth keyboard. Not sure how well it would work with BB10 or Sailfish, but if there's enough interest I will look into it.
    If you have any more questions, comments or suggestions I would love to hear them. Thank you for your feedback!

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    01-16-20 08:52 PM
    I've been trying to design a vertical slider too. Main problem is weight distribution between the keyboard and the phone. If I can design it I will definitely sell it.

The main issue with F(x)Tec is that it seems like barely any are being delivered, the phone itself isn't that good and it's too expensive. See here - https://www.androidauthority.com/fxt...review-960653/ Here you would have the choice of any phone and can upgrade it when it gets old.

Will make sure to update you guys with any news.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    I was thinking regular sized slab phones would be awkward with a vertical keyboard. What if it could sit on top the bottom section of the phone, where you're already having to scroll as you go to see what you want, or comfortabluy slide your phone in behind it like into a pocket. it's not even a half-baked idea, but there it is.

If my Key one died and I could not get another BlackBerry keyboard phone, I would definitely be looking a what my other options are.
    01-16-20 09:12 PM
362 1234 ...