Hello Everyone!

I have been working for the past year or so on a design for an attachment for smartphones that gives it a horizontal slider keyboard (think Motorola Droid 2 look). The attachment would work on most smartphones and would cost around $50-$70. Wanted to ask some questions from you guys who love keyboards.

- Would you be interested in buying what I've described?
    - Does having a tilting screen matter to you?
    - Would extra thickness/weight bother you enough to not purchase this?

And any other suggestions/questions would be highly appreciated! Thank you for reading.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories

EDIT- How bothered would you guys be if the keyboard was in the way of the rear camera and you needed to slide out the keyboard to use the rear camera? Let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by SES Mobile Accessories; 12-29-19 at 12:42 PM.
    12-27-19 09:19 PM
    Take a look at the FXTec Pro1 feedback that already exists, kind of sums up the answers you're looking for since it's a similar product.

1) Some will be
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    Rico4you likes this.
    12-28-19 11:34 AM
    No offense, but shouldn't you do all of this research before spending the time and money to develop a product?
    12-28-19 03:19 PM
    I just hope BlackBerryMobile / BlackBerry keeps pushing PKB devices. The real deal.
    the_boon likes this.
    12-28-19 03:34 PM
    It's mostly been an on/off pet project I've been working on in my spare time. Originally was going to make it as a one-off for personal use. Recently got interested in trying to sell it and wanted to see if we have similar values regarding this product.
    methodinsane likes this.
    12-28-19 04:39 PM
    Take a look at the FXTec Pro1 feedback that already exists, kind of sums up the answers you're looking for since it's a similar product.

1) Some will be
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    This would be different in the sense that you're not chained to the phone because it has a keyboard. You can have the great camera specs of the Google Pixel 4 or Galaxy Note 10, you can have the iOS interconnections from an iPhone Xs along with the keyboard.
    12-28-19 04:42 PM
    I just hope BlackBerryMobile / BlackBerry keeps pushing PKB devices. The real deal.
    The keyboard feel will have a good clicky feel. I'm aiming to have it feel very similar to older keyboard phones.

What this design would do is give you the opportunity to experience the great tools and conveniences of modern smartphones and the great tactile feel of a physical keyboard.

If you have any more questions/comments/suggestions please let us know. Thank you.
    Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    Last edited by SES Mobile Accessories; 04-28-20 at 08:48 PM.
    the_boon likes this.
    12-28-19 04:51 PM
    The keyboard feel will have a good clicky feel. I'm aiming to have it feel very similar to older keyboard phones. The next Blackberry phone probably will come out sometime in late 2020/2021 from what I've read.

What this design would do is give you the opportunity to experience the great tools and conveniences of modern smartphones and the great tactile feel of a physical keyboard.

If you have any more questions/comments/suggestions please let us know. Thank you.
    Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    I appreciate your enthusiasm and will to offer keyboard fans another option.

This keyboard would be connected via Bluetooth I'm guessing right?
    Rico4you likes this.
    12-28-19 07:47 PM
    The keyboard feel will have a good clicky feel. I'm aiming to have it feel very similar to older keyboard phones. The next Blackberry phone probably will come out sometime in late 2020/2021 from what I've read.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    What type of quantities does your project need to be viable?
    12-28-19 08:22 PM
    Still crunching the numbers on that. Looking at ~50k.
    12-29-19 12:12 AM
    Thank you. Yes, Bluetooth connection.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    12-29-19 12:13 AM

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    Where did you read about the next blackberry phone coming out in 2020/2021 ?
    12-29-19 04:31 AM

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    Ignore the people asking you about your suggestion the next BlackBerry is coming out in 2020/2021. People get pretty arsey about it. Likelihood is a new one isn't coming.

If you can produce a good keyboard attachment it will be welcomed by many here. Personally I think a better option would be a good vertical keyboard attachment for smaller iPhones and androids. Most BBusers prefer the size of vertical keyboards than horizontal. Plus, you don't have to worry about the sliding mechanism.

I think that would be a fantastic project. There was a kickstarter attempt recently but it was very amateur and didn't have a chin under the space bar, meaning the ergonomics would have been off.

If you go ahead with a horizontal slider, however, that would be great too. Though you face competition from fxtec. People would probably just buy the fxtec pro1 rather than a phone and an attachment (I'd imagine).

Keep us in the loop. I'm using the key2 and nervous about having to move to an all-touch. I can't type on the damn things.
    Bure03 likes this.
    12-29-19 07:13 AM
    I'm using the key2 and nervous about having to move to an all-touch. I can't type on the damn things.
    All touch is not the worst thing in the world if the slab is large enough and you use Gboard/BB VKB.

That said, it will never be as enjoyable as even the Priv's mushy keyboard.

Between the KEY phones and the Pro 1, there should be enough keys to type on for a while until something else (hopefully) comes along
    12-29-19 07:18 AM
    Ignore the people asking you about your suggestion the next BlackBerry is coming out in 2020/2021. People get pretty arsey about it. Likelihood is a new one isn't coming.

If you can produce a good keyboard attachment it will be welcomed by many here. Personally I think a better option would be a good vertical keyboard attachment for smaller iPhones and androids. Most BBusers prefer the size of vertical keyboards than horizontal. Plus, you don't have to worry about the sliding mechanism.

I think that would be a fantastic project. There was a kickstarter attempt recently but it was very amateur and didn't have a chin under the space bar, meaning the ergonomics would have been off.

If you go ahead with a horizontal slider, however, that would be great too. Though you face competition from fxtec. People would probably just buy the fxtec pro1 rather than a phone and an attachment (I'd imagine).

Keep us in the loop. I'm using the key2 and nervous about having to move to an all-touch. I can't type on the damn things.
    I've been trying to design a vertical slider too. Main problem is weight distribution between the keyboard and the phone. If I can design it I will definitely sell it.

The main issue with F(x)Tec is that it seems like barely any are being delivered, the phone itself isn't that good and it's too expensive. See here - https://www.androidauthority.com/fxt...review-960653/ Here you would have the choice of any phone and can upgrade it when it gets old.

Will make sure to update you guys with any news.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    12-29-19 12:39 PM
    I've been trying to design a vertical slider too. Main problem is weight distribution between the keyboard and the phone. If I can design it I will definitely sell it.

The main issue with F(x)Tec is that it seems like barely any are being delivered, the phone itself isn't that good and it's too expensive. See here - https://www.androidauthority.com/fxt...review-960653/ Here you would have the choice of any phone and can upgrade it when it gets old.

Will make sure to update you guys with any news.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    All great points. I hope you move forward with this. If you can deliver a vertical case (slider or with keyboard on show permanently) you can count on me to get one. Good luck!
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-29-19 12:59 PM
    Thank you. Quick question: Would having to slide out the keyboard in order to use the rear camera be an issue that would bother you enough to consider not buying the attachment? Let me know. Thanks.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    12-29-19 02:40 PM
    Quick question: Would having to slide out the keyboard in order to use the rear camera be an issue that would bother you enough to consider not buying the attachment?
    I would be 110% against anything that needed to be moved in order to use the camera.
    bh7171 and Sigewif like this.
    12-29-19 07:00 PM
    I would be 110% against anything that needed to be moved in order to use the camera.
    Thank you for your feedback. Will keep that in mind when designing.

If you have any other questions, comments or suggestions, please let us know. Thank you.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    12-29-19 10:17 PM
    Thank you. Quick question: Would having to slide out the keyboard in order to use the rear camera be an issue that would bother you enough to consider not buying the attachment? Let me know. Thanks.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    Honestly wouldn't bother me loads but not ideal. What about a non-sliding mechanism that just makes the phone a bit taller? Look at the KeyOne keyboard. It's not tremendously tall. Add that to the vertical length of some of the smaller phones out there and it wouldn't be crazy tall. Just a thought!

Check out the Physibo kickstarter. Something like that but made better (and with a chin under the space bar).
    12-30-19 05:31 PM
    Honestly wouldn't bother me loads but not ideal. What about a non-sliding mechanism that just makes the phone a bit taller? Look at the KeyOne keyboard. It's not tremendously tall. Add that to the vertical length of some of the smaller phones out there and it wouldn't be crazy tall. Just a thought!

Check out the Physibo kickstarter. Something like that but made better (and with a chin under the space bar).
    While it is a cool design, Physibo looks like remade Typo. I'd be concerned about being sued by Blackberry for making a similar design.

Thanks for your feedback!

The main issue with phones that have the vertical attachment keyboard is the weight distribution since you will be fighting against the weight of the phone while typing. If we can design a vertical keyboard attachment without this issue then we will definitely sell it.
    If you have any more suggestions, comments, or questions, please let us know. Would love to get more feedback!

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    12-30-19 06:23 PM
    Wouldn't you experience the same issue when you slide out the keyboard, though? Forgive me if I've got this wrong!

I remember when I used to use my Priv. You could feel that it was kinda top heavy but you quickly get used to it and I never really had a big problem with it. Wouldn't it just feel the same with a vertical (permanent) keyboard case?
    12-30-19 07:36 PM
    Wouldn't you experience the same issue when you slide out the keyboard, though? Forgive me if I've got this wrong!

I remember when I used to use my Priv. You could feel that it was kinda top heavy but you quickly get used to it and I never really had a big problem with it. Wouldn't it just feel the same with a vertical (permanent) keyboard case?
    Good question.

Yes, if you slide out the keyboard or do a permanent attachment vertically, they will both have issues with weight distribution due to the phone having to balance on the much lighter keyboard (permanent or slider)

The Priv was a lot easier to control since only the screen slides up, all the heavy parts of the phone (battery, charging port, headphone jack, etc) were on the bottom with the keyboard so it didn't make the phone very top heavy.

Let me know if you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    the_boon likes this.
    12-30-19 09:14 PM
    I'm out.
    12-30-19 10:56 PM
    I'm out.
    Is there something in the design/idea you don't like? Please let me know, I want to know how to improve the design.

Regards,
    SES Mobile Accessories
    12-30-19 11:04 PM
362 123 ...