I have found a possible insurance policy you can buy from State Farm from $30.00 a year. The only stipulation the policy has from what I have seen is the device must cost more that $400 to replace. State Farm will cut you a check for the full replacement cost of the phone in the event that the phone is lost, stolen or damaged with no deductible at all. I am looking into this more to replace the $5.99 I pay per month to VZW for insurance with a $50 deductible for a refurb phone.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this, or may have this insurance policy?

If this is a good policy, this will be much cheaper than the insurance the Cell Phone Companies provide.

Once I get more info back from my insurance agent I will pass it along.
    03-16-09 03:04 PM
    This sounds like an add on to insurance that you already have. My renters insurance has an add on like that for my computers and other electronics. Covers my computers if they are lost due to damage, fire, stolen, etc while in the house, car or while with me.

If this is indeed something that have as a cell phone only policy, that would be great. But I have a feeling if it is, the policy has to be taken out within a certain time period of buying the phone.
    03-16-09 04:13 PM
    No it is not an add on, and you don't even need to be a State Farm customer. Here is the email fdrom the agent.

The phone must cost at least 400 dollars to replace,other than that we will cut you a check for the full replacement cost of the phone in the event that the phone is lost stolen or damaged with no deductible at all.This policy is with state farm insurance ,so if you are not a current customer we would like the chance to quote your home and and auto insurance but purchase is not required to get the phone policy.Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 05:22 PM
    I might have to take a look at that. Already have auto insurance through State Farm.

04-07-09 01:51 AM
    Does this mean they will cut a check for the retail value of the replacement BB, irregardless of the discounted price paid to get the BB with a contract extension?

04-07-09 01:56 AM
    No it is not an add on, and you don't even need to be a State Farm customer. Here is the email fdrom the agent.

The phone must cost at least 400 dollars to replace,other than that we will cut you a check for the full replacement cost of the phone in the event that the phone is lost stolen or damaged with no deductible at all.This policy is with state farm insurance ,so if you are not a current customer we would like the chance to quote your home and and auto insurance but purchase is not required to get the phone policy.Thanks

It's called a Personal Articles Policy. You can get it for just about anything (e.g., cameras, guitars, etc.) that may or may not be covered under your homeowner's policy, but if it is covered under that policy, it generally has a deductible or other limitation.

I'd have to look at the actual policy language first rather than deciding based on email from this agent. (You don't see terms like "cut you a check" in insurance policies!) Paying $5 a month for the AT&T insurance is not that bad (although it is twice as much as this State Farm policy) -- it's the freakin' $125 deductible that kills me.
    04-07-09 06:50 AM
    Good god, AT&T has a $125 deductible?

04-07-09 08:43 AM
    Assuming your phone cost $450, $30 a year is like having a 6.67% chance of losing your phone per year.... is it really that high? I haven't lose a single phone for 15 years.
    04-07-09 09:29 AM
    If this is legit, it sounds like a great deal. I think Asurion has some stiff competition in store if this is the case.

04-07-09 09:40 AM
    Assuming your phone cost $450, $30 a year is like having a 6.67% chance of losing your phone per year.... is it really that high? I haven't lose a single phone for 15 years.
    I'm not worried about losing it so much as water damage, honestly. I'm very careful but **** happens.

04-07-09 09:59 AM
    I have found a possible insurance policy you can buy from State Farm from $30.00 a year. The only stipulation the policy has from what I have seen is the device must cost more that $400 to replace. State Farm will cut you a check for the full replacement cost of the phone in the event that the phone is lost, stolen or damaged with no deductible at all. I am looking into this more to replace the $5.99 I pay per month to VZW for insurance with a $50 deductible for a refurb phone.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this, or may have this insurance policy?

If this is a good policy, this will be much cheaper than the insurance the Cell Phone Companies provide.

Once I get more info back from my insurance agent I will pass it along.
    I am very curious as to exaactly what to ask for my fiance went to the state farm agent today and he said that the cell phones are under home owners ins w a 1000 dol deductible with jewelry and other personal items. I believE sshe quoted the " presonal articcles policy" to him as wwelll. If you have indeed gotten your phones insured at about thje rate tou said pleaase pm or email me with what exactly we need to do. We have state farm already car home life. My email is." [email protected] .

04-20-09 02:27 PM
    I'm with State Farm and have a personal articles policy for stuff like jewelry, watches, things like that. And I have had to file a claim with them before -- easy as pie, no questions asked, they just cut a check. When you get the policy you must prove the price you paid (value) and that is the amount you'll get back if you file a claim. I'm not sure if they take into consideration the depreciation of electronics like phones, but I doubt they would. In other words they would pay you to replace the phone with a comparable model today (Niagara when its out), not pay you to replace your 2 year old Curve with another Curve.

Of course the catch is that if you keep filing claims for lost phones, they will raise your rate or cancel you. Insurance Co is betting that you wont lose it, while you are better that you will. If you keep winning the bet, they will raise your fee to play; so don't try scamming them to make easy money.
    04-20-09 02:40 PM
    I just checked and State Farm can't cover cell phones in PA, no matter how expensive they are. At least that's what the agent told me.

I'm really annoyed that T-Mobile's deductible is $130. That is high enough that it puts it in the "I don't know if I can justify this" category for me when you add it to the $5.99/month you pay to carry the insurance.

Btw, I have a Blackberry Curve (Javelin) 8900.

Advice anyone?
    04-27-09 12:20 PM
    well lets see 130 to replace your broken phone or 500 for a new one. does not seem like that hard of a choice.

i need to look into this thou i have state farm auto and home owner insurance so yea this could save me money
    04-27-09 01:08 PM
    I think I would take my chances and get one from a fellow crackberry member than pay the monthly fee and then the $130.

Unless you are hard on your phones.

04-27-09 01:28 PM
    After reading this thread, I called my State Farm agent to see if I could add mine to our policies.

He stated that SF no longer insures SmartPhones under any policies, as add on's or stand alone, due to extensive claims. I won't pay Verizon's high rates--just have to remain careful with it.

Joe
    04-27-09 01:45 PM
    funny i just emailed my agent and they said i can absolutley insure my phone for 30 bucks a year. their going to send me details and all i have to do is send them the serial numbers and value. their also going to insure my digital camera
    04-27-09 01:54 PM
    Insurance is park of a lifestyle that includes risk management. For somethings like a car or your blackberry, if the risk exceeds the value you can afford to replace then think of it like a condom: I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

For me, the risk does not exceed the value of the phone, therefore I do not have phone insurance. I do however have collision insurance on my car.

04-27-09 02:05 PM
    yea i have insurance on everything. i cant afford to pay retail to replace the things i have so i insure it. i figure i leave the house with my camera and my phone im walking around with over 1200 dollars of electronics on me. knowing that if someone decides to take it or it gets damaged somehow all i have to do is make a call to get it replaced makes me feel better
    04-27-09 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD