As the title suggests..... my girlfriend has just brought a Nokia X6 which has the ovi im app pre installed and I have the blackberry curve 8900 that uses bb im.

Is there any way to im between the two? is there a generic app that we can install on both devices to do this?

Cheers
    03-22-10 09:40 AM
    You can use GoogleTalk, AIM, Yahoo! Messenger, MSN Live, ICQ, just to name a few.

There are native apps for the BB (you might even have the icons already on your BB to install). You'll just need to check to see which service she can use on her phone.

The native apps on the BB use push-messaging, so you can keep them running in the background. There are also 3rd party options like IM+, BeeJive, Palringo, Nimbuzz, and Instango that combine IM apps into one interface. Someo of them are free, and a couple of the paid apps use different methods for push-messaging.
    03-22-10 09:54 AM
    Load up Yahoo IM on both devices and you will have instant communication that
    is on par with BBM. It is to me the best IM app on the Nokia.
    03-22-10 01:47 PM
    When will people realize that BBM for personal use is almost pointless UNLESS you and everyone you know will never ever ever ever own anything other than a blackberry. Since the chances of that are slim, best thing to do is use IM clients so when either you or your friends switch devices you won't miss a beat and won't have to rely on a messaging system that supports only 1 platform. For business its great. Beyond, it's pointless.
    03-22-10 03:03 PM
    Thanks for all your replies, downloaded windows live messenger which works fine but doesnt work offline like bb Messenger which is a bit annoying, I wonder if Yahoo IM is the same, i'm guessing so.

Xopher - Thanks i'll try a few of those native apps you mentioned.
    03-23-10 06:00 AM
    Most of the IM apps won't work when offline (BBM is always online). The nice thing with the native apps is that they use Push services to get messages to you, so it is not staying in direct communication all the time (to help with battery usage). I keep Google Talk running all the time on my Tour and don't notice a considerable battery drain from it.

The paid version of IM+ has the ability to do push-IM while the software is closed. It sends messages to your BB via e-mail, which you can reply back via e-mail (and they get turned into IM responses). You can then open up the app and continue the conversation from there.

The other option is to initiate communications via SMS, then open the IM app of your choice and have the conversation. It's not as easy, but at least it will keeps IM apps closed.
    03-23-10 08:01 AM
    Yahoo Messenger is always running in the backgound once you are logged in. Not sure what you mean about offline.
    03-23-10 08:36 AM
    Load up Yahoo IM on both devices and you will have instant communication that
    is on par with BBM. It is to me the best IM app on the Nokia.
    I agree. I use it to keep in-touch with a few Nokia friends.

The problem I've always found with my "other" smartphone friends is that background services don't seem to work the same as on a BB. I can start Yahoo IM, Gtalk, MSN... doesn't matter. I just turn it on and it stays connected all day.

Not so with other smartphone devices, some IM tools stay logged in and some don't.
    03-23-10 09:15 AM
    As stated abouve, just use AIM or one of the many other IM clients out there.
    03-23-10 09:41 AM
    Most people don't realize the real advantage of Blackberry IM apps. You can stay log in all day without draining your battery. I have Yahoo Im, MSN Messenger, and BBM logged in all day and I didn't notice any significant changes to my battery life at the end of the day. Push IM is one of the big reason why I got a Blackberry in the first place.
    03-23-10 12:25 PM
    My best friend and I use Google Talk to chat. I have my berry and she's got an iPod Touch (she actually uses Meebo, I think).

I stay logged into GTalk all day and, unless I'm doing heavy chatting, I don't have any significant impact on my battery whatsoever. Even with heavy messaging it doesn't do any kind of significant drain. I tried to use a 3rd party IM client for a period of time and it just trashed my battery. Push notifications FTW.

So, for the OP - like everyone else here has said, use Google Talk, AIM, or Yahoo IM and go that way. Leave it logged in all the time, it won't have any significant impact on battery life at all (unless you're using it heavily - but that'd be the same as BBM or emails or anything.)
    03-23-10 12:38 PM
    If you are on a data tariff would being logged in all day affect the data uasage in anyway even if your not using it?
    03-24-10 06:20 AM
    If you are on a data tariff would being logged in all day affect the data uasage in anyway even if your not using it?
    If you're not using it there will still be minimal data used as the IM app has to keep it's connection to the server open to keep you logged in.
    03-24-10 06:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD