Hi all,

I'm writing a book & I need to know something technical - hope someone can help!

If the owner of a Blackberry had used the Voice Notes function to record a conversation, and they wanted to give that recording to someone else, how could they do that? They do not have access to a PC etc at the time (they're in a bar) The recipient's phone is also a smart phone, if that helps.

Is there a method, or would the Blackberry owner actually have to give the other character her phone?

Many thanks for any assistance!
    09-25-10 05:15 PM
    Who is cheating on who?
    09-25-10 05:20 PM
    No, no! It's a mystery - there is no cheating!

How these phones work is a *** mystery to me anyway, sadly!
    09-25-10 05:31 PM
    Make a recording and email or mms it from the smart phone. Or am I totally missing something?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-10 05:46 PM
    Couldn't you send that file via Blackberry Messenger?
    09-25-10 05:51 PM
    Couldn't you send that file via Blackberry Messenger?
    If the person receiving the message had a Blackberry too, that would be the best way. Wouldn't work if the other smartphone was not a BB.
    09-25-10 05:54 PM
    If the person receiving the message had a Blackberry too, that would be the best way. Wouldn't work if the other smartphone was not a BB.
    also dont forget filesize maximum for bbm is 6mb, which is huge compared to mms (in the uk mms limit is 300kb)
    09-25-10 05:58 PM
    Thank you people!

OK, the recipient's phone is not a Blackberry, so I guess the Messenger thing is out.

With regard to:

"Make a recording and email or mms it from the smart phone. Or am I totally missing something?"

How would one do that with a Voice Recording and would the recipient then be able to play it back to a third party?

Sorry about all this, I know I'm a complete dunce at this stuff - it used to be easier when you could just write about a telegram arriving!
    09-25-10 05:59 PM
    They should be able to play the file. But I can't guarantee it not knowing what their smartphones compatible formats are. Just compose an email. Then press menu/attach file. Just remember where it is and you may want to rename it something else for this purpose. Or after you record, locate the recording highlight it, press menu/send via email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by albee 1; 09-25-10 at 06:12 PM.
    09-25-10 06:09 PM
    Fabulous! Thank you albee 1, that's wonderful... my plot is thickening nicely!
    09-25-10 06:16 PM
    I could probably be sent via Bluetooth connection.
    09-25-10 06:28 PM
    Thank you K Bear, that's interesting - how would you do that?
    09-25-10 06:47 PM
    Thank you K Bear, that's interesting - how would you do that?
    Both phones would have to be BT capable (obviously), but (un-obviously), both phones would have to be able to transfer files via BT (which is not always the case). Assuming that both phones can transfer files (pretty much all recent BB's can do this, but I think that carriers can disable it), the the first thing is that the 2 phones would have to be paired via BT (one would have to be "discoverable" and the other would have to be "Searching for a new device"), once their were paired, the BB owner could highlight the file and choose "send via bluetooth", and the other would get a message on the order of "would you like to receive this file from OtherPhone?" The recipient says yes, and the file is transferred.

As a proof of concept, I just transferred a voice note file from my BB to my wife's Samsung Dumbphone, and the audio app on her her Samsung played it just fine.

Now if you really want a plot twist (although this may be too geeky), you could have the recipient's phone be unable to Play the BB voice note, then the recipient would have to transfer the file to another phone to be able to hear it.
    Last edited by Tiassa; 09-26-10 at 05:44 PM.
    09-26-10 05:41 PM
    Both phones would have to be BT capable (obviously), but (un-obviously), both phones would have to be able to transfer files via BT (which is not always the case). Assuming that both phones can transfer files (pretty much all recent BB's can do this, but I think that carriers can disable it), the the first thing is that the 2 phones would have to be paired via BT (one would have to be "discoverable" and the other would have to be "Searching for a new device"), once their were paired, the BB owner could highlight the file and choose "send via bluetooth", and the other would get a message on the order of "would you like to receive this file from OtherPhone?" The recipient says yes, and the file is transferred.

As a proof of concept, I just transferred a voice note file from my BB to my wife's Samsung Dumbphone, and the audio app on her her Samsung played it just fine.

Now if you really want a plot twist (although this may be too geeky), you could have the recipient's phone be unable to Play the BB voice note, then the recipient would have to transfer the file to another phone to be able to hear it.
    Have to keep in mind that the two phones would have to be no more than ~33 feet away from each other to do a Bluetooth transfer. I'd say the most logical method of sending a voice note is through MMS or Email, given the scenario.
    09-26-10 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD