Indonesia considers fining BlackBerry $1.5 million for future BBM outages | memeburn

i think it is fair decision..

Rp 1000 ($0.1) for every Blackberry subsriber if there are outages more then 4 hours.. (not so sure if their total subscriber in indonesia around 15 million the last report said it's around 6.3 million so it's around us$630.000 every outages more then 4 hours)

indonesian local carrier like telkomsel and smartfren give their customers extra data when there is outages...

if the problem come from BB i think they have to give some sort of compensation to their subscriber..besides it's not a free service like whatsapp, line, wechat. we have to pay service fee to BB every month/week/day
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    07-15-13 12:22 PM
    Someone would need to expand a lot more on the topic before I could go along with it. On the surface it sounds a lot like "American" whining. Just 2 short steps from being compensated when there is an accident on the highway or having to compensate work if you are off/late.
    07-15-13 12:37 PM
    Indonesia considers fining BlackBerry $1.5 million for future BBM outages | memeburn

i think it is fair decision..

Rp 1000 ($0.1) for every Blackberry subsriber if there are outages more then 4 hours.. (not so sure if their total subscriber in indonesia around 15 million the last report said it's around 6.3 million so it's around us$630.000 every outages more then 4 hours)

indonesian local carrier like telkomsel and smartfren give their customers extra data when there is outages...

if the problem come from BB i think they have to give some sort of compensation to their subscriber..besides it's not a free service like whatsapp, line, wechat. we have to pay service fee to BB every month/week/day
    BBM isn't free?
    07-15-13 12:40 PM
    BBM isn't free?
    no it's not free.

Carrier and BB split their revenue from BIS plan and BB get a good amount of money from BIS subscriber. that is why you can get cheaper and more data if you subscribe regular data plan in indonesia (BB10, Android, iPhone).

while line and wechat revenue come from sticker sales or advertising. whatsapp revenue come from one time $1 payment.

plus if your internet connection only from wifi you can't use BBM if you not subscribe BIS before.
    07-15-13 12:57 PM
    Will the other competing services got fined in case of outage?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-15-13 01:08 PM
    Someone would need to expand a lot more on the topic before I could go along with it. On the surface it sounds a lot like "American" whining. Just 2 short steps from being compensated when there is an accident on the highway or having to compensate work if you are off/late.
    we have to pay for BB service. so why we don't get compensation for every outage come from BB ?

carriers in here give their customers extra data if there are outage ..so why not BB give a compensation to?

FYI :
    * from what i know several companies have rules if you late come to work you get a pay cut / bonus cut / minus poin on your work performance report..there's always compensation you must pay.

* highway accident. for every road accident usually the one who guilty have to pay their victim some compensation (or their insurance)
    07-15-13 01:10 PM
    we have to pay for BB service. so why we don't get compensation for every outage come from BB ?

carriers in here give their customers extra data if there are outage ..so why not BB give a compensation to?

FYI :
    * from what i know several companies have rules if you late come to work you get a pay cut / bonus cut / minus poin on your work performance report..there's always compensation you must pay.

* highway accident. for every road accident usually the one who guilty have to pay their victim some compensation (or their insurance)
    Shouldnt they be trying to get money from the carriers? The users do not pay anything to BB directly, so why would BB pay them directly? The carriers are the ones that charge.
    07-15-13 01:13 PM
    Will the other competing services got fined in case of outage?

Posted via CB10
    which competitors ?

carrier have to give their customers extra internet data.

Apple product mostly VAS and it's for free. so i don't think they have to give some sort of compensation if there is some outage with their services.

Google, line, wechat revenue come from advertising. so the one who should get the compensation if there are some problem is their advertisers.

BB charge money to subscribers for their sevices. so i think if there is some kind of problem BB have to give compensation to their subscribers.
    07-15-13 01:18 PM
    Shouldnt they be trying to get money from the carriers? The users do not pay anything to BB directly, so why would BB pay them directly? The carriers are the ones that charge.
    yes it is carrier who give the compensation/refund directly to BB subscriber. then carrier can charge it to BB, if the problem come from BB
    07-15-13 01:29 PM
    yes it is carrier who give the compensation/refund directly to BB subscriber. then carrier can charge it to BB, if the problem come from BB
    This would make complete sense, but fining BlackBerry when BlackBerry doesnt make anything directly from subscribers is very odd. Not to mention they make NOTHING on BB10 subscribers.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-15-13 01:31 PM
    This would make complete sense, but fining BlackBerry when BlackBerry doesnt make anything directly from subscribers is very odd. Not to mention they make NOTHING on BB10 subscribers.
    Not sure what your exact objections here is, if its legalistic, then of course there are a complex legal arrangements to these things, and if bb feels this was directed incorrectly then they can of course their legal team argue that in court.

If you are using a common sense or broad conception of responsibility then rather obviously bb is the responsible party. Funny I recall having to point the same thing about in previous outages...

I assume its not the latter since you admit it makes complete sense... But as to the legal Intricacies , I am simply not informed enough - and doubt many people are here - to comment! I assume bb's fleet of lawyers would take care of it.
    07-15-13 01:45 PM
    i'm not talking about BB10 subscribers...majority in here using BB legacy device.

if you see from my previous post i kind of differentiate between BIS/BB data plan and regular data plan (BB10).

so if there is some outage or problem for BB10 device i don't think they should get any compensation because it's just like imessage or apple cloud service it's only value added service not paid service

BB get revenue from every BB BIS subscribers (from information i read 2-3years ago, for every BIS Full service subscribers RIM get $5-7) . Carrier only act as a middle man/distributors so it's make sense if subscribers get compensation from carriers and carriers charge it to BB if the problems come from BB
    07-15-13 01:47 PM
    As far as I can remember BlackBerry Internet service already 4 times got problems this year in indonesia,last time affected legacy device all users can't use bbm for half day,i think fair enough if BlackBerry give compensation for user
    07-15-13 01:53 PM
    Someone would need to expand a lot more on the topic before I could go along with it. On the surface it sounds a lot like "American" whining.
    More like "Canadian" excuse making.
    Just two steps away from complaining if the Tim Horton's is too hot.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-15-13 01:55 PM
    As far as I can remember BlackBerry Internet service already 4 times got problems this year in indonesia,last time affected legacy device all users can't use bbm for half day,i think fair enough if BlackBerry give compensation for user
    It sounds like a carrier problem, because the rest of the world didn't have 4 outtages this year.
    07-15-13 03:46 PM
    I agree with this. I don't see why the government should fine anyone anything. Blackberry screws up. Carrier gives data to appease customer. Now Blackberry should compensate the carriers, not the government.
    07-15-13 03:55 PM
    More like "Canadian" excuse making.
    Just two steps away from complaining if the Tim Horton's is too hot.
    Why bashing countries now... Pretty sure it was an American who sued because there coffee was too hot...
    Ps.. most cdn like hot coffee

Posted from my Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.483
    07-15-13 04:59 PM
    Why bashing countries now... Pretty sure it was an American who sued because there coffee was too hot...
    Ps.. most cdn like hot coffee

Posted from my Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.483
    Did you read post #2?

"On the surface it sounds a lot like "American" whining. Just 2 short steps from being compensated when there is an accident on the highway or having to compensate work if you are off/late."

Just replying in kind, that's all.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-15-13 05:01 PM
    we Canadians apologize for everything, Americans complain about everything

... get your generalizations straight :P
    habs_fan likes this.
    07-15-13 05:13 PM
    Can we stop this idiotic American Canadian crap. It's a few on here so lets not make it a war between what are mostly friends. A few bad apples (no pun intended) really do spoil the whole bunch.
    07-15-13 05:23 PM
    It sounds like a carrier problem, because the rest of the world didn't have 4 outtages this year.
    no it's not carrier problem.

when every carrier in indonesia have same outage on the same time, it must be BB problem.
    07-15-13 10:13 PM
    no it's not carrier problem.

when every carrier in indonesia have same outage on the same time, it must be BB problem.
    Do you actually know that for a fact or is that what your government wants you to believe? If there was a BlackBerry problem, someone outside of Indonesa would be agreeing with you.

Posted using the Diva's Z
    07-16-13 12:50 AM
    Do you actually know that for a fact or is that what your government wants you to believe? If there was a BlackBerry problem, someone outside of Indonesa would be agreeing with you.

Posted using the Diva's Z
    first :
    *we are not china or north korea where information from internet is hard to get. and government easily lying to us or control the information. our internet as free as other countries...

when everyone from different carriers complained on twitter and facebook about outage problem then the problem it is must be come from BB

from i know correct me if i am wrong BB have specific connection /server for different region/country . that is why sometime if there are some outages in indonesia, other country don't have same problem.

if you not sure you can check CB sub forum for BB outage..there are many BB user report specific region only outage

here is the link : http://forums.crackberry.com/service-outages-f156/

PS :
    @denise in los angeles
    before you make a post , just try to do a simple google search first. it is kind of embarassing you have 7000+ post but have a little bit information
    Last edited by garnok; 07-16-13 at 02:18 AM.
    07-16-13 02:00 AM
    first :
    *we are not china or north korea where information from internet is hard to get. and government easily lying to us or control the information. our internet as free as other countries...

when everyone from different carriers complained on twitter and facebook about outage problem then the problem it is must be come from BB

from i know correct me if i am wrong BB have specific connection /server for different region/country . that is why sometime if there are some outages in indonesia, other country don't have same problem.

if you not sure you can check CB sub forum for BB outage..there are many BB user report specific region only outage

here is the link : http://forums.crackberry.com/service-outages-f156/

PS :
    @denise in los angeles
    before you make a post , just try to do a simple google search first. it is kind of embarassing you have 7000+ post but have a little bit information
    I am not embarrased at all. Please post the exact dates of your four outtages if they really happened, I can't very well Google without that information, because I actually have a life.
    07-16-13 02:25 AM
    I am not embarrased at all. Please post the exact dates of your four outtages if they really happened, I can't very well Google without that information, because I actually have a life.
    ps : i am not so sure if you have a life if you post 7000 times + in 3.5years. but hey it's your life

simple google search for indonesian outages 4 times this past one year :

july 3, 2013 http://forums.crackberry.com/service...region-824953/

may 11 and 12, 2013 http://forums.crackberry.com/service...2013-a-805838/

october 3 , 2012 RIM Says BlackBerry Messenger Error Resolved

even RIM admit it is their problem , not carrier problem
    07-16-13 02:55 AM
45 12