I thought that this was a good read and wanted to share this with everyone. Although this is a story about a completely unrelated industry, it is an inspirational, true, and current story of an American pioneer in motorcycles making a comeback. It just goes to show you, that if BlackBerry finds the right partner that believes in BlackBerry 10 and QNX, the possibilities can be endless. Regardless of a rocky history and numerous failed acquisitions / start ups, the new owner of Indian realizes that the only way for success is by going back to its roots. Although there are differences with Indian's history as compared to RIM, some of the themes throughout the article somehow remind me of our modern day BlackBerry.

Indian Motorcycle Unveils Three New Models In Bid To Take On Harley Davidson - Forbes
    08-13-13 12:46 AM
    I love Indian Bikes. A TRUE American icon.

Posted via CB10
    crackfinder likes this.
    08-13-13 12:51 AM
    I love Indian Bikes. A TRUE American icon.

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't agree more!
    08-13-13 12:55 AM
    Then Hollywood could make a movie about BlackBerry's comeback.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 01:19 AM
    Then Hollywood could make a movie about BlackBerry's comeback.

Posted via CB10
    LOL...you never know. However, it is unlikely that it would be called "Heins".

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 01:37 AM
    The big difference is that the Indian motorcycle name was hugely respected, and that vintage Indian bikes were highly valued.

Tech devices are not motorcycles. Know anyone who is still loving their Palm Pilot? Their analog cell phone? Their 512MB-storage MP3 player? No? Me neither.

Motorcycles, at least of the Harley/Indian variety, are bought by people who specifically appreciate that their technology has not changed significantly in 80+ years. They are the anti-tech products. It would be hard to imagine a poorer comparison to BB.
    08-13-13 01:15 PM
    Yea, not a good comparison.

Technology isn't cyclical. Once a tech company is thought to be outdated and irrelevant, it's rare for it to come back in the near future - and certainly not without something revolutionary.
    R_from_Toronto likes this.
    08-13-13 01:45 PM
    Indian comeback would be a nostalgic comeback, sort of the same as Sleeman brewery in Canada, huge back in the 1920s, died completely then brought back to be hugely successful in the 1990's.

Blackberry is different, they need to figure out who they are (no they don't know) and what it will truly take to compete in that market. Until that happens they will continue to misstep and flounder. Otherwise let them die and try for the nostalgic comeback in 50 years.
    08-13-13 02:47 PM
    The comparison falls short because Indian failed and ceased to exist. The name rights have been resurrected, but each time it has been an entirely new company who bought the rights to the name. Whether there is enough capital and enough wiggle space for them to actually be a viable force is yet to be seen.

Indian has been resurrected at least two or three times, but each attempt has failed. Maybe they have the marketing, the design, the production and distribution channels for survive and to flourish this time, but maybe not.

One more thing. If I remember correctly, Indian failed because they gave it all to the war effort. They turned over all their production capabilities to make military bike. When the war ended, it took them too long to get back to civilian production

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    08-13-13 03:35 PM
    Everyone here makes a lot of valid points...no argument, however apparently my point was completely missed or misunderstood. If you read my original post, I acknowledged that there are differences between the two. The point is that if BlackBerry was purchased or partnered with the right company, investor, or institution, then there could be a bright future ahead. It is obvious that Indian was purchased by a succession of wrong companies and investors for many years, but have now been purchased by someone with deep pockets who is willing to go the long haul. The chances of this happening with BlackBerry is very bleak as the BlackBerry branding is toxic as compared to the Indian branding.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 08:01 AM
    LOL...you never know. However, it is unlikely that it would be called "Heins".
    If BlackBerry DOES "come back" to be truly a competitive force in mobile computing, Hein's tenure / role will be a footnote: it's his successor and the successor's team that's going to turn it around, not him.
    crackfinder likes this.
    08-14-13 09:23 AM
    If BlackBerry DOES "come back" to be truly a competitive force in mobile computing, Hein's tenure / role will be a footnote: it's his successor and the successor's team that's going to turn it around, not him.
    Totally agree.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 09:49 AM