As a longtime blackberry user, I am seriously considering switiching to the Iphone 5. However, I am very intrigued by what I have seen of the Blackberry 10. I am locked into my AT & T contract until May 2013. What's the chance that Blackberry will offer early upgrade incentives when the 10 comes out in January to keep their customers?
    10-02-12 10:05 AM
    The only thing I can imagine is a small credit if you trade-in your OS7 device and maybe get $100.

OS6 and below won't have much value in a trade.
    10-02-12 10:15 AM
    They already do a trade in service. But so do the carriers(at least up here).
    10-02-12 10:31 AM
    they shouldn't have to give you any sort of incentive, did apple ever give a customer an incentive to switch to the iphone?No! did google ever give you one? No. why should RIM have to withhold a smaller profit when they are putting in boat loads of effort to regain your business. RIM goes above an beyond giving users free app downloads and sucking up the cost just to please customers when things get a little rough.

Apple hasn't done this and rarely ever says sorry when they hack up an antenna or even a GPS that most people that drive use.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    10-02-12 10:36 AM
    Trade-ins are generally raw deals. You'd do better selling your old device on eBay.
    10-02-12 10:46 AM
    I have a friend that went from the iphone 4 to the iphone 5, and I keep hearing complaints about it,
    the maps app if screwed up, app store keeps acting up, putting up a blank screen and won't allow apps to install. Did you know that the iphone 4 was discovered that there is a browser flaw that can allow someone to gain full access of everything on the iphone, and the problem still exists on the iphone 5. There is even a problem with with itunes that allows ppl to steal money from your account, or to buy apps and charge you for them. Apple says most of these problems don't exist. I have never understood why ppl want a screwed up device, that the company will make no effort to fix.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    10-02-12 11:02 AM
    Another gripe regarding the iPhone 5 is its connector, which is completely different from all previous generations of the device. An adapter is necessary for those wanting to use older peripherals, and even that doesn't work in all cases.
    10-02-12 11:07 AM
    I have a friend that went from the iphone 4 to the iphone 5, and I keep hearing complaints about it,
    the maps app if screwed up, app store keeps acting up, putting up a blank screen and won't allow apps to install. Did you know that the iphone 4 was discovered that there is a browser flaw that can allow someone to gain full access of everything on the iphone, and the problem still exists on the iphone 5. There is even a problem with with itunes that allows ppl to steal money from your account, or to buy apps and charge you for them. Apple says most of these problems don't exist. I have never understood why ppl want a screwed up device, that the company will make no effort to fix.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    thats not hardware issues its all software
    10-02-12 11:08 AM
    What incentives? I agree with the above post... Apple and Google do nothing for you to terminate contracts early. It is all carrier specific, since they subsidize your device.

And don't think for a minute your carrier is not grabbing the money somewhere else.

Sure they let you upgrade "early" but then lock you into another contract where they pad the fees to make up for their lost subsidy by you not paying the last few months of the old phone's cost (hidden in your monthly bill).

You would never even know it.

So if you really must have a BB10 in January then just go and get one, sell your old device or negotiate something with your carrier to do a trade-in of some kind where you will find either your contract term lengthened (to cover the cost of your old device subsidy and new one for the full term) or some other fee.

Or... You can also just pay a penalty and leave your contract early... January to May is only a few months. Then sign up with a new contract. The penalty is there in part to cover the phone subsidy.

This really has nothing to do with your unhappiness with Blackberry and wishing to switch to iPhone. You will have the same offer pretty much depending on the cost of the phone to the carriers. They don't care what device you want, just as long as they can get you to pay for it.

RIM will price their phone competitively, I'm sure. Then the carriers have to choose how they are to subsidize it, how to bundle with what plans and at what monthly costs.

BB10 will be a flagship offering from RIM. They can try and win back subscribers on costs alone, but RIM also needs to make money. I hope they find a good balance and let the product speak for itself.

And I hope the carriers are not going to be greedy and try to over-charge for the device. I think a $99 BB10 on contract would fit in the middle of the range. I don't expect it to be free, but if it was I would be even more impressed!

Then again, they may try to charge $199 like for the iPhone and people will have to decide whether they want the best or join the rest. :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    10-02-12 11:18 AM
    Another gripe regarding the iPhone 5 is its connector, which is completely different from all previous generations of the device. An adapter is necessary for those wanting to use older peripherals, and even that doesn't work in all cases.
    Yes but they have the coolest Adapters, Sorry could not help myself.
    10-02-12 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD