After Tropical Storm Debbie did the damage and left some of us without power I realized how much I NEED to have a removable battery in my phone. My power went out early evening as a telephone pole and transformer came crashing down under the weight of a huge downed tree.

I have a battery charger with spare battery inside always on the charge on my night stand next to my charging pod.

I was grateful for the removable battery when after 15 hours the electricity was still off and my BlackBerry was almost dead. I was using it to report the outage, check weather, severe alerts and stay in touch with local family.

That's the importance of a removable battery. If I brought my phone hiking, camping or on a rafting trip, I would need a spare battery.

When the iPhone is dead with no way to recharge, YOU ARE STUCK.

That's the importance of a removable battery.

The LED may seem inconsequential but something so little saves so much time and battery.

I can glance at my BlackBerry from across the room and know that I have a message, from whom or from which app.

I don't have to constantly pick up the phone and turn the screen on. Is this what iPhone users do? Is that why they're ALWAYS staring at their phones or constantly turning the screen on?

I can't imagine doing this. What a waste of time, battery and a way to have to always be attached to their phones.

Just some stuff I love about my BlackBerry that maybe I take for granted until I'm reminded.
    06-30-12 04:23 PM
    I agree about the removable battery. I will never buy a device that does not have one.

The notification LED on the other hand I consider a total annoyance and usually find
    a way to cover it.

I don't need my phone to tell me when I have a message. When I get around to looking
    at it I will know then.
    06-30-12 04:29 PM
    You can get external batteries as well for an iPhone, so the non-removable battery thing isn't as much of a hindrance as you make it out to be.
    phonejunky likes this.
    06-30-12 04:30 PM
    How do you check for messaging? A time schedule? I have a sick family member and I like the LED pushing an alert to me instead of me obsessively picking up my phone.
    06-30-12 04:31 PM
    You can get external batteries as well for an iPhone, so the non-removable battery thing isn't as much of a hindrance as you make it out to be.
    I don't want to tinker with breaking open my smartphone. It's a HUGE hindrance. My parents both have iPhones, live a few blocks away, and were stuck without electricity and without phones once their iPhones died.

Thank goodness they didn't need emergency help. I will never get a device without a removable battery from now on.
    Pete6 and rigwrecker like this.
    06-30-12 04:32 PM
    I agree. removable battery is a must have feature. Also, an SD card to hold my music collection where I don't have to rely on something like iTunes. I can simply copy all my MP3 files onto the 32gb card. Job done.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    rigwrecker and tshirtgirl like this.
    06-30-12 04:33 PM
    I think he means he checks it at his leisure. AG, you do know you can shut the LED off? You don't have to try to cover it ...
    06-30-12 04:37 PM
    No schedule. Every once in a while I pick the thing up and check. I too have a
    sick family member (dialysis 4 times a week) and still do not see the notification
    LED as any benefit.
    I don't need a removable battery. Only time i remove it in a Blackberry is when it locks up but with 7 thats been a non issue. I have a car jumper, compressor box with a 12 volt charger port on it and connect my car adapter to it. Works great for charging the phone for camping too. LED is necessary however for me. If having a non-replaceable battery means a higher cap battery then I all for higher cap.
    I think he means he checks it at his leisure. AG, you do know you can shut the LED off? You don't have to try to cover it ...
    I'm a belt and braces type of guy
    06-30-12 04:38 PM
    Add me to the list! Having a replaceable battery and SD card are a must have in any primary device of mine.
    06-30-12 04:39 PM
    No schedule. Every once in a while I pick the thing up and check. I too have a
    sick family member (dialysis 4 times a week) and still do not see the notification
    LED as any benefit.
    I do. My husband has Stage IV cancer and had a seizure and passed out outside last Friday. I had my BlackBerry on a table and got an LED alert right away. I can't have my sounds on.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I would have picked my phone up because I'm not on it all day.

I was able to get to the ER soon after he arrived. Now at work and school I leave my phone out so I can see the LED.
    06-30-12 04:41 PM
    Mophie juice pack case for the iPhone FTW.
    Always charging on the go.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-30-12 04:41 PM
    If given a choice I'll take both.
    rigwrecker likes this.
    06-30-12 04:43 PM
    I don't want to tinker with breaking open my smartphone. It's a HUGE hindrance. My parents both have iPhones, live a few blocks away, and were stuck without electricity and without phones once their iPhones died.

Thank goodness they didn't need emergency help. I will never get a device without a removable battery from now on.
    You can get battery packs as cases or dongles. They are essentially backup batteries that you just stick onto the phone when you need to charge your battery so absolutely no different in intent than a removable battery. In fact, I would argue they are better because you never have to open the phone or break power and they are often compatible with different models.

For your parents, look up Mophie Juice Pak Air, or "iPhone backup battery" on Amazon for a substantial selection.

ETA: And even removable batteries need wall electricity to recharge, so both are eventually useless if power is off. If that is a concern, check Amazon for "solar battery charger" (dynamos are right out )
    Last edited by TGR1; 06-30-12 at 04:50 PM.
    06-30-12 04:43 PM
    Besides the benefit of being able to swap batteries, i would also worry about getting the phone wet, first thing you have to do is remove the battery.

The led light is indispensable for me, i get out of the car to make a delivery and I don't have to touch the phone and wake up the screen to know if I have any new messages when I get back in.
    Chrisy and pantlesspenguin like this.
    06-30-12 04:44 PM
    When we took our 10th anniversary cruise I used my phone as a still camera, gps, document repository, video camera...just about everything. There was no device we had that could do everything we wanted on one battery and stopping for a charge wasn't a real option. Not to mention filling up two 32gb micro sd cards! The removable battery and sd card was a big hit.
    06-30-12 04:45 PM
    Yesterday there was a tornado warning for where I live. Guess how I found out? The blinking light on my bb. Luckily no damage here as it did whatever it did but that doesn't diminish the fact if it had hit I was prepared because of a blinking led light.
    Chrisy and pantlesspenguin like this.
    06-30-12 04:49 PM
    You can get battery packs as cases or dongles. They are essentially backup batteries that you just stick onto the phone when you need to charge your battery so absolutely no different in intent than a removable battery. In fact, I would argue they are better because you never have to open the phone or break power and they are often compatible with different models.

For your parents, look up Mophie Juice Pak Air, or "iPhone backup battery" on Amazon for a substantial selection.
    On the other hand a spare battery for my 9900 fits perfectly inside my wallet, it's smaller than a business card and only the equivalent of 4-5 business cards thick. I could easily carry two of them in my wallet.
    06-30-12 04:52 PM
    I have a USB battery pack that is a decent size, and can charge my phone at least 3 times on a single charge from 20% to full. I haven't tried more than this but a friend has said he's gotten up to 4 on his phone. And, because you use a USB cable to charge your device, it can charge just about anything that can be charged via a USB cable. Even a tablet. But, because my phones have decent to really good battery life, I haven't used it that much since I no longer work out in the field as much as I use too. At last check, it has held a charge for approximately 2 months. That's the last time I have used it, let it drain completely, and recharged it completely. It's size is: 2.9x2.8x1.1 inches. It is 11000 mAH. They also have smaller models that have less mAH ratings.

As far as LED, I personally got over not having it pretty quick. It's certainly isn't a deal breaker, for me, when shopping for a phone. And when I use my Android phone, NoLED works fine for me.
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 06-30-12 at 05:20 PM.
    06-30-12 05:01 PM
    I don't need a removable battery. Only time i remove it in a Blackberry is when it locks up but with 7 thats been a non issue. I have a car jumper, compressor box with a 12 volt charger port on it and connect my car adapter to it. Works great for charging the phone for camping too. LED is necessary however for me. If having a non-replaceable battery means a higher cap battery then I all for higher cap.
    I've done that to charge my BlackBerry too! Though I hike into places without mycar A LOT and I need the spare battery.

Same as when I kayak or do a canoe trip. Can't lug the car battery with you there.

No other platform even comes close to being able to suit my outdoor needs like BlackBerry.
    06-30-12 05:02 PM
    Besides the benefit of being able to swap batteries, i would also worry about getting the phone wet, first thing you have to do is remove the battery.

The led light is indispensable for me, i get out of the car to make a delivery and I don't have to touch the phone and wake up the screen to know if I have any new messages when I get back in.
    I think the lack of visual notification on Apple is intentionally. It keeps the users checking the phone all the time and playing with it.

Why are you gone from my BBM?!
    06-30-12 05:05 PM
    On the other hand a spare battery for my 9900 fits perfectly inside my wallet, it's smaller than a business card and only the equivalent of 4-5 business cards thick. I could easily carry two of them in my wallet.
    The Juice Pak Air is a case (mine was a lovely deep red) so I never removed it from my phone. When I needed a charge I flipped a switch and the phone charged. Flipped it back to charge on the wall outlet. Really convenient.

The dongle-like batteries are all pretty small, although not thin IIRC. So whatever suits your lifestyle and tastes.
    06-30-12 05:08 PM

I really hope you Don't mean that giant add on thing. Its too ridiculous to look at.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    06-30-12 05:08 PM
    I think the lack of visual notification on Apple is intentionally. It keeps the users checking the phone all the time and playing with it.

Why are you gone from my BBM?!
    I don't know, one morning you weren't there anymore, i thought you deleted me
    06-30-12 05:15 PM
251 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD