Google just announced Android for Work, which sounds a lot like BlackBerry Balance, in that it separates business and personal data on one device.

Engadget: "If you've bemoaned the inability to use your personal Android phone for company business, Google has some heartening news. It just unveiled Android for Work, a code platform that lets your business and personal info coexist on a single device. The technology (derived from Samsung's Knox) keeps the data types separate without requiring any changes to existing apps. Every major Android manufacturer should have Android for Work certification in the fall, with promises of both guaranteed updates and full security. The office-friendly feature is baked into the Android L release from the start, but don't despair if you're toting an older device -- Google is promising an app that works on Android gadgets running Ice Cream Sandwich or later."

Of course, the implementation and business side controls could be very different. Anyone familar with Samsung's Knox care to comment?
    06-25-14 04:11 PM
    First Samsung hoped enterprise would embrace Knowx which worked on only Samsung only, that didn't happen. Then they gave it to Google and wish enterprise would embrace it that will only work on Android and force everyone to use Android only ? That would not happen either!

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 04:26 PM
    Remember that Android has full access to the Android code, including the proprietary Google components, and I think it's difficult to dispute the fact that Google has one of the top (if not THE top) set of developers and experts in the world to work on Android. They are in a far better position to imbed such a deep and substantial concept into the base OS code than Samsung is, don't you think?

Remember that Android is based on Linux, and that's hardly the "insecure OS" that many BB folks love to sell it as.

If you don't think Android For Work is a serious problem for BB, you aren't paying attention.
    06-25-14 06:31 PM
    Remember that Android has full access to the Android code, including the proprietary Google components, and I think it's difficult to dispute the fact that Google has one of the top (if not THE top) set of developers and experts in the world to work on Android. They are in a far better position to imbed such a deep and substantial concept into the base OS code than Samsung is, don't you think?

Remember that Android is based on Linux, and that's hardly the "insecure OS" that many BB folks love to sell it as.

If you don't think Android For Work is a serious problem for BB, you aren't paying attention.
    +1

This. The fact that Google also got into bed with Samsung with their Knox enterprise solution also says a lot in itself, clearly Samsung have done great work with it, otherwise Google wouldn't be putting this in the OS itself.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-25-14 06:59 PM
    Shut them down

? Slicing using my ?
    06-25-14 10:09 PM
    +1

This. The fact that Google also got into bed with Samsung with their Knox enterprise solution also says a lot in itself, clearly Samsung have done great work with it, otherwise Google wouldn't be putting this in the OS itself.
    You guys really don't believe that do ya? Lol! I say go for it if ya do!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 05:03 AM
    You guys really don't believe that do ya? Lol! I say go for it if ya do!

Posted via CB10
    I hope for your and their sake, BB aren't taking the same attitude as you to this, we've all seen what happens when a company takes competitors seriously (Samsung) and when they don't (Nokia....now belonging to Microsoft).
    06-26-14 09:21 AM
    I hope for your and their sake, BB aren't taking the same attitude as you to this, we've all seen what happens when a company takes competitors seriously (Samsung) and when they don't (Nokia....now belonging to Microsoft).
    I say go for it! Commerce man! Just remember that when. questioned on security even Google Experts Know that the platform is a cesspool.you can't build a house on quick sand

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 09:25 AM
    I say go for it! Commerce man! Just remember that when. questioned on security even Google Experts Know that the platform is a cesspool.you can't build a house on quick sand

Posted via CB10
    The World seems to be getting along quite well. I'm not saying there haven't been issues, but there are with computer systems too. Should we stop all Commerce? We find answers and move on. This drum beat of BlackBerry security is old and doesn't work any more.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-26-14 09:30 AM
    I'm no programmer, so this is just a question...
    Why can't Blackberry build it's security into Android? Why does it need to re-invent the wheel, so to speak with BB10?
    Collaboration with Android seems to be the way Blackberry is leaning with Android runtime and with access to the Amazon App Store.
    I would think an Android Blackberry with BB10 running on the side for BES services on the other side of the devices for enterprise would solve a lot of problems.
    Don't know if that's even possible.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    06-26-14 09:54 AM
    The World seems to be getting along quite well. I'm not saying there haven't been issues, but there are with computer systems too. Should we stop all Commerce? We find answers and move on. This drum beat of BlackBerry security is old and doesn't work any more.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    I said it's commerce, if they think that they have what it takes to be truly secure and the Business Community in particular has the confidence and trust that their info is truly safe I say go right ahead. Security experts have cautioned that Google/ Android and it's entire system is a ticking time bomb, referring to it as a "cesspool ". The "few hicups" that you mentioned are really not that few, I just hope that when personal medical and banking, hacking of individuals information has occurred that the various company's accept the fallout. I see a Google as a Nortel whose demise came about as a result of hacking. Google has done VERY little to address Security over the years and like Nortel Judgement day will come.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 10:03 AM
    This is a software problem, is it not?
    Google develops and maintains the Android platform, does it not?
    Google has more software development resources than practically anyone else in the world, do they not?
    There is a huge installed base of Android devices out there that upgrade over the air, do they not?

So, what would keep Google from implementing this into their platform? Do you continue to believe in the inherent superiority of Blackberry software developers (the ones that are left)?
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-26-14 10:04 AM
    This is a software problem, is it not?
    Google develops and maintains the Android platform, does it not?
    Google has more software development resources than practically anyone else in the world, do they not?
    There is a huge installed base of Android devices out there that upgrade over the air, do they not?

So, what would keep Google from implementing this into their platform? Do you continue to believe in the inherent superiority of Blackberry software developers (the ones that are left)?
    Kind of like how people on here thought nobody would want full touch screen (e.g. The Iphone) or that their marketshare was impenetrable but now its Android. . If Google wanted a secure phone or a secure OS, they could make it happen.
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-26-14 10:13 AM
    I said it's commerce, if they think that they have what it takes to be truly secure and the Business Community in particular has the confidence and trust that their info is truly safe I say go right ahead. Security experts have cautioned that Google/ Android and it's entire system is a ticking time bomb, referring to it as a "cesspool ". The "few hicups" that you mentioned are really not that few, I just hope that when personal medical and banking, hacking of individuals information has occurred that the various company's accept the fallout. I see a Google as a Nortel whose demise came about as a result of hacking. Google has done VERY little to address Security over the years and like Nortel Judgement day will come.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not trying to say that blackberry security isn't the best solution at this point. This whole "judgment day" scare isn't working though. The other platforms are moving forward and looking at making improvements. I know you and others on here are actually hoping that something happens so you can say I told you so. I don't look at the world that way. Blackberry shouldn't either. That's all I'm saying but I defend your right to believe what you want.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    RH1Pearl and mornhavon like this.
    06-26-14 10:29 AM
    Sustainable competitive advantage - it's one of the most important strategic principles in business. If one looks at a company with good mobile security, for example, one of the first considerations is whether this competitive advantage is real and is it sustainable.

The reason why Google is worth so much is that its competitive advantages are considered to be sustainable - they are in practically every aspect of technology starting with most of the things we do each day. The reason why Apple is worth so much is that its advantages of brand recognition, supply chain, platform control, and retail presence is considered to be sustainable.

The reason why Blackberry security isn't valued so highly is that few consider this to be sustainable advantage.
    app_Developer, TGR1 and mornhavon like this.
    06-26-14 10:37 AM
    Nokia is an independent company that does not belong to Microsoft
    06-26-14 10:44 AM
    80 Percent of the world on is Android. If it was a bad with security and malware people would have moved off it and it would be in the news daily. The fact that Android active users DOUBLE yearly goes to show some people make a mountain out of an ant hill. The fact that Android will be on every screen means they are focused on Android everywhere. Every company in this space should be worried.
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-26-14 11:17 AM
    I'm not trying to say that blackberry security isn't the best solution at this point. This whole "judgment day" scare isn't working though. The other platforms are moving forward and looking at making improvements. I know you and others on here are actually hoping that something happens so you can say I told you so. I don't look at the world that way. Blackberry shouldn't either. That's all I'm saying but I defend your right to believe what you want.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Thank you, as do I, we will see where things go, just a cautionary tale, with Google going into other aspects of use in the real world ,one has to remember that things will be Interconnected, a house is only as strong as its foundation and from all reports the system is flawed, the fallout will be incalculable, Google 's propensity to "sell you info" doesn't for me, gain my confidence.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-26-14 11:27 AM
    Nokia is an independent company that does not belong to Microsoft
    I'm talking about the mobile division, what was the heart of Nokia for at least a good 2 decades.
    06-26-14 11:30 AM
    I'm no programmer, so this is just a question...
    Why can't Blackberry build it's security into Android? Why does it need to re-invent the wheel, so to speak with BB10?
    Collaboration with Android seems to be the way Blackberry is leaning with Android runtime and with access to the Amazon App Store.
    I would think an Android Blackberry with BB10 running on the side for BES services on the other side of the devices for enterprise would solve a lot of problems.
    Don't know if that's even possible.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    BB could have done this at any point. Pride of your company, pride in your direction, and just pride in general my stop BB from reaching out. If they can show they have a value in Android then there are always deals that can be worked out. The problem is you never know if it's just to late. You driving somewhere at there is a point you better off not turning back. I don't know where that point is and maybe BB thinks they already passed that point. Who knows. BB reinvented the wheel already and is stuck now sinking vast resources into BB10. They poured in all that time and money in BB World with little return for their efforts. They essentially gave up and now will use amazon for their store. BB's money situation is better but you can't not wonder if they just would have worked an exclusive deal with android where Google pays them $5 dollars a phone for BB's security add-on to Android as well as continued work on locking down the platform would have just made BB a huge player in Android as well as they could have made there own launcher package with the hub that they could have sold in the store or even packaged into Android for Business where Google paid them directly. BB could have decided to make only BB Classic phones or keyboard phones and just take that sweet Google money. We'll never know.
    06-26-14 11:31 AM
    Sustainable competitive advantage - it's one of the most important strategic principles in business. If one looks at a company with good mobile security, for example, one of the first considerations is whether this competitive advantage is real and is it sustainable.

The reason why Google is worth so much is that its competitive advantages are considered to be sustainable - they are in practically every aspect of technology starting with most of the things we do each day. The reason why Apple is worth so much is that its advantages of brand recognition, supply chain, platform control, and retail presence is considered to be sustainable.

The reason why Blackberry security isn't valued so highly is that few consider this to be sustainable advantage.
    +1

Well said.
    06-26-14 11:37 AM
    Google is already working it's way into the business world... Paid Professional Email, Contact Management, Shared Calendar, Office Suite, Online Storage....

Our company was using Google Business Service for hosting email with our domain. There are a number of built-in mobile device management features that are included in with the plan ($4 a month per account). They were basic, but they covered most of what a small business would need. But who knows how far they could take it along with Android for Work. This is a progression of what they have been working on for a long time. I think for large regulated industries, BlackBerry is going to have a strong foot hold for a while. But for the other 99% of business, the options are growing.
    06-26-14 11:53 AM
    I hope BlackBerry takes the cue and press hard on its throttle. As I said so many times before, a paid alteration of "BlackBerry Balance " should be pre-installed in all BB10 phones.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 12:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    "Contrary to what you’ve heard, Android is almost impenetrable to malware"
    Contrary to what you’ve heard, Android is almost impenetrable to malware – Quartz
    06-26-14 12:22 PM
    Kind of like how people on here thought nobody would want full touch screen (e.g. The Iphone) or that their marketshare was impenetrable but now its Android. . If Google wanted a secure phone or a secure OS, they could make it happen.
    They are.
    Contrary to what you’ve heard, Android is almost impenetrable to malware – Quartz

New additions to Android.
    Google's Sundar Pichai targets the enterprise with Android L, featuring Samsung Knox
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-26-14 12:24 PM
114 123 ...