Here's how I see it. Sure big name apps are great, and it would be nice to have them(need to have them) It sounds silly to read Blackberry users saying they don't care and have never used instagram, and don't need it. You've never used it because Blackberry has never really had any apps. Sure there are photo editing apps that are really good, but the problem is these companies don't see any use to make apps for Blackberry. I understand why, and it's disappointing. A company based in the US sees their potentional base being the US. They don't want to put their payroll into producing apps for Blackberry because the sentiment is so poor that it's embarrassing.
    To my subject topic, it's not the big name apps. It's the local website you go to and click the link that says download our app. It's only ios and android. I was recently on the Cleveland Browns site. Oh cool! They have an app. Ios and android. It's like that with everything. People need to flood email boxes with app requests for bb10. Suggest a straight android port to start. Get people to see that they don't have to be limited outsiders by buying a blackberry. Any comments? Am I crazy?
    03-24-13 04:22 PM
    I am familiar with sideloading on my playbook, but I have never actually converted an .apk file to .bar. I wonder how many of the simple local apps can be converted by the average user. How would you get a local .apk file? Do you have to request it from the company or will the .apk download to a PC from the website?
    03-24-13 04:34 PM
    How does Instagram not see any use in making an app? Considering you can only have an app in order to have an account. Look how many more users they can be gaining from making an app. It makes NO sense for Instagram not to make an app.

Netflix, it does. Because we use it mainly for our TV's. So they don't really see a point in making an app right now.

Just my thoughts on the Instagram issue. I feel like they have some hatred towards Blackberry because they cannot lose anything from making a native app. Otherwise, I already have it sideloaded. I have always wanted to use Instagram, but I have said I can live without it. It isn't something that'll draw me away from the phone.
    03-24-13 05:08 PM
    I'm curious as to what% of BlackBerry users in the US are enterprise out of the estimated 15-20 million users. There might only be a few million that can even download it. Also, consider that Facebook bought Instagram and they didn't make an app either.
    Umedon likes this.
    03-24-13 05:34 PM
    To be honest, I haven't been happy with a smartphone since my old BB Bold. I appreciate the apps that BB has, although I don't need many.
    03-24-13 05:48 PM
    To be honest, I haven't been happy with a smartphone since my old BB Bold. I appreciate the apps that BB has, although I don't need many.
    That's great for you, but that is probably why BlackBerry has fallen so far behind the other platforms. Most people want more than email and messaging.
    03-24-13 06:12 PM
    That's great for you, but that is probably why BlackBerry has fallen so far behind the other platforms. Most people want more than email and messaging.
    I think that's the reason why android apps can be side loaded now.
    03-24-13 06:42 PM
    lets just be real here, the app situation is about communications. people buy certain devices because it will allow them to share communication with other people who are on the same platform, or a platform that has a large enough app repository to have the same apps available to both. instagram was out a LONG time before it came out on android. android took years to get to where it is today, there is definitely a tipping point though. if bb10 becomes a solid success, that's all it needs. when developers are considered silly for not making the app, they will make the app. blackberry lost its way because it was touted as the #1 communications device, but without the apps people were using to communicate with, beyond text and email, it no longer was what it claimed to be. this should and likely will change. i'm super excited about getting the z10 in a few days, but i'm not a typical person. brand loyalty means absolutely nothing to me. the extra addition to this is that facebook now owns instagram. so who knows how much facebook has to do with whether they hire bb10 developers or not. instagram started out as literally about 4 iOS developers, i remember them announcing hiring some android developers and having a staff of 10. i dont' know how much facebook buying them has changed this.
    03-24-13 06:57 PM
    It's coming, not sure when. I know that WP8 is getting it soon, so Blackberry should be next in line one would think.
    03-24-13 07:01 PM
    Here's how I see it. Sure big name apps are great, and it would be nice to have them(need to have them) It sounds silly to read Blackberry users saying they don't care and have never used instagram, and don't need it. You've never used it because Blackberry has never really had any apps. Sure there are photo editing apps that are really good, but the problem is these companies don't see any use to make apps for Blackberry. I understand why, and it's disappointing. A company based in the US sees their potentional base being the US. They don't want to put their payroll into producing apps for Blackberry because the sentiment is so poor that it's embarrassing.
    To my subject topic, it's not the big name apps. It's the local website you go to and click the link that says download our app. It's only ios and android. I was recently on the Cleveland Browns site. Oh cool! They have an app. Ios and android. It's like that with everything. People need to flood email boxes with app requests for bb10. Suggest a straight android port to start. Get people to see that they don't have to be limited outsiders by buying a blackberry. Any comments? Am I crazy?

You make a valid point.. I'm using myself as an example now.. i can care less for instagram and face book and Netflix.. i had the Netflix app on my iphone and i recall using it once on a 2 hour train ride.. i think it's really a matter of how useful or useless these apps are... some are must haves. what's app was definitely one of them. Banking apps are more important to me then media or social media... when i bought my z10 instagram was the last thing on my mind lol

Posted via CB10 powered by BB10
    03-24-13 07:05 PM
    It will take time ... Once BB10 takes a solid third place the Apps will come. I hear you though ... I await my Bank coming up with a BB10 app. ( my sports team came through) . There is a secondary problem . Some companies are dropping their BB7 apps before providing the BB10 version.
    03-24-13 07:09 PM
    This is part of a blackberry user's vocabulary. It's easy to not see a need for an app when you know there is no app to acquire. It's sad to have the feeling that you will still feel left out for awhile with the "download our app now" links. My dad got a helicopter from my mom for Christmas. Most have probably seen them. They can be controlled by an iphone, ipad or android. Everybody was playing with it and having fun. Other iphone users there saying they might have to get one. I quietly go to the website and also search the web for anything similar for blackberry. Nothing. I'm not saying I want to get one. My dogs and son would end up destroying it, but even if I did, it's not an option. This is the thing I'm talking about that needs to change. We need to be able to download the stupid local grocery store app, or the random app everyone else can get. That's not something you are going to find with 100k+ apps. It's going to take time, but I think as a blackberry supporter, we need to let these companies know we are out here.
    03-24-13 10:26 PM
    There is a major flaw in the OP logic... As Instagram is available on the internet by different methods ..ie PC.... how can the OP say BB users have never used it... because there is no app on the BB.... makes no sense.... Not everyone uses every app.... as my partner uses Instagram on the PC extensively... I have never used it... is that because I do not have the app????? The whole app controversy is rather silly... a simple solution... Simply research to make sure if the apps you need are available for whatever platform you decide and purchase accordingly.... Finally...YOU CANNOT MAKE A DEVELOPER MAKE AN APP FOR YOUR PLATFORM.... for whatever their reason......
    03-24-13 10:44 PM
    I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. Its not necessarily about only the big name applications, its about all the niche applications to provide specific uses for MOST people. The local station applications, the specific education applications, the specific hobby or job applications. The majority of my buying decisions as of today lies with this reason alone as does most others.
    03-24-13 10:46 PM
    ErinnM wrote: "...Netflix, it does. Because we use it mainly for our TV's. So they don't really see a point in making an app right now"

Then why did Netflix see a point in making an app for iPhone and Android?
    P.S. I use the Netflix app to stream to my t,v, by connecting a wire..
    03-24-13 11:27 PM
    ErinnM wrote: "...Netflix, it does. Because we use it mainly for our TV's. So they don't really see a point in making an app right now"

Then why did Netflix see a point in making an app for iPhone and Android?
    P.S. I use the Netflix app to stream to my t,v, by connecting a wire..
    Not what I meant exactly, sorry. I mean they may see that there aren't enough BlackBerry users to spend money on an app for BlackBerry. Not saying it is the reason why exactly. Instagram just has nothing to lose since you need the app to have an account.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    03-24-13 11:30 PM
    There is a major flaw in the OP logic... As Instagram is available on the internet by different methods ..ie PC.... how can the OP say BB users have never used it... because there is no app on the BB.... makes no sense.... Not everyone uses every app.... as my partner uses Instagram on the PC extensively... I have never used it... is that because I do not have the app????? The whole app controversy is rather silly... a simple solution... Simply research to make sure if the apps you need are available for whatever platform you decide and purchase accordingly.... Finally...YOU CANNOT MAKE A DEVELOPER MAKE AN APP FOR YOUR PLATFORM.... for whatever their reason......
    Sorry, I should have specifically stated "on their blackberry device." I guess a solution to the said problem is to carry a pc with you wherever you go. Maybe that could even be a selling point for the new blackberry.

"Using a blackberry necessitates carrying a PC around so you can do what all your friends can do on their phones. But think of the advantages you'll have! You'll have the full size physical keyboard and the bigger screen. They will be so jealous!"

The whole app controversy is not silly when it comes to a platform being accepted and viable. Sure, you may be able to accept the fact that you're the running joke because you chose the "lame blackberry." The whole point of the OP was to state that the real underlying problem is not the big app availability, but the absence of smaller apps provided by local or private companies.

I myself am not bashing blackberry at all. I had the storm, storm 2, and now the 9850 torch. I hope to upgrade this weekend to the White Z10 from vzw if my wife will switch me her upgrade(mine is beginning of May and she would wait for the Q10 anyways.) I have accepted the fact that I will continue to be left out of most of the functionality others have access to through apps. I like the blackberry experience as far as inherent functionality of the blackberry device, although, as strange as it sounds, I do worry about bbos7.1 functionality I lose. Not talking about buttons or anything, just notification options, and overall customization. I know, I get it... New platform, new os, changes had to be made. I just want blackberry to be accepted and not a so ial embarrassment.
    03-25-13 02:43 AM
    You can only view Instagram on a PC. You cannot load pics to Instagram on a PC. This is why it needs to be a phone app. In order to have full functionality you need a phone app.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-25-13 03:10 AM
    I knew going in that the app situation on the Z10 would be bad. But it is dismal.

No BofA, no BBT, no Wells Fargo, no Geico. No DC Circulator/combined Metro/rail app.

Based on a previous discussion where people were making the case that the only app you need is the browser, I am going to run this phone by using the browser for those apps that are missing. It is a personal experiment. Let's see what happens.

But BB needs to remember that consumers want apps. And basic things such as banking apps missing from a phone is not good. Not having my car insurance app and banking apps is a big deal to me.

Seriously, BB. There may be 100K apps in Blackberry World, but they really looked like useless crap.
    03-25-13 03:21 AM
    i never used instagram and if it was avaible for bb i wouldnt use it either...
    Edmo likes this.
    03-25-13 03:38 AM
    Instagram is a catalyst in this debate! It's about branding and perception. Once it arrives on BB, the public's perception is strengthened.

Posted via CB10
    randall2580 likes this.
    03-25-13 06:23 AM
    Okay I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents, just my observation and how I feel about the instagram situation; we need it on this eco system because it will gain more of a user base and in turn cause blackberry to prosper. I think people fear without a large user base the company will go under and we just wasted our money investing in this new Os and re branded company. It's about the bigger picture now which revolves around the 'current trends' in our daily lives which unfortunate to some, is social media. Privacy is kind of out the Window with this new generation; times have changed and bbry needs to stay as current as possible to stay competitive its nessesary for the survival of this company. In other words bbry needs to be 'cool' again abroad not just with us die hards. Staying current involves getting the apps the people want. It's not about me too its about me 'need'. #justsayin
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-25-13 10:31 AM
    Instagram.

Isn't that for the teenagers that like to take a picture of what they are having for dinner? Big deal
    Edmo likes this.
    03-25-13 11:40 AM
    Instagram.

Isn't that for the teenagers that like to take a picture of what they are having for dinner? Big deal
    Not in the least. But if that is how you would use it, that is your own personal choice.

There are many threads on the forum on Instagram, if you are interested.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 11:53 AM
    Okay I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents, just my observation and how I feel about the instagram situation; we need it on this eco system because it will gain more of a user base and in turn cause blackberry to prosper. I think people fear without a large user base the company will go under and we just wasted our money investing in this new Os and re branded company. It's about the bigger picture now which revolves around the 'current trends' in our daily lives which unfortunate to some, is social media. Privacy is kind of out the Window with this new generation; times have changed and bbry needs to stay as current as possible to stay competitive its nessesary for the survival of this company. In other words bbry needs to be 'cool' again abroad not just with us die hards. Staying current involves getting the apps the people want. It's not about me too its about me 'need'. #justsayin
    That was brilliant. Very well put.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 11:54 AM
36 12