Hi guys,

Here's my dilemma: I have over 25,000 emails in my inbox. Right now I'm on POP. I have heard of some of the benefits....but I don't know if my BlackBerry can hold 25,xxx emails.

Any advice is wanted and appreciated!

Thanks!
    Paul

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-08 03:55 PM
    with IMAP you will get instant email
    pop there will be a delay
    5-15 minutes

thats what I believe
    09-07-08 03:59 PM
    If you don't care about a delay and value GMails features more than anything else, you could use the Gmail app.
    09-07-08 04:06 PM
    Right now my mail comes in instant on POP. My perception of it is that IMAP puts your entire inbox on your BlackBerry...and that would be nice in some cases.

Thank you!
    Paul

09-07-08 04:07 PM
    Right now my mail comes in instant on POP. My perception of it is that IMAP puts your entire inbox on your BlackBerry...and that would be nice in some cases.

Thank you!
    Paul

It's not instant on POP.
    09-07-08 04:07 PM
    imap wont put the whole thing on your blackberry pop can do that not imap
    and pop isnt instant
    09-07-08 04:11 PM
    So what will switching to IMAP do for me? I can't really think of anything.....

09-07-08 04:21 PM
    So what will switching to IMAP do for me? I can't really think of anything.....

Instant retrieval of email.
    09-07-08 04:24 PM
    Have Gmail fixed the IMAP support so when you read a mail on Gmail it will change to be read on the berry to?
    09-08-08 08:14 AM
    When I read it on berry it doesn't change it in my inbox.
    However I believe there is a setting to do it

09-08-08 08:39 AM
    POP is one way (Email forwarding) and is instant push email.

IMAP is two way (Email synchronization) and may or may not be instant, I recently switched to IMAP because BlackBerry updated their BIS servers to utilize "IMAP Idle" for instant pushing of email using IMAP. Yay!

My experience has shown that IMAP will not sync your entire inbox onto your BlackBerry, it will only enable read/unread marking and deletion (archiving in GMail) synchronization as long as you're settings are correct.
    09-10-08 04:27 AM
    POP is one way (Email forwarding) and is instant push email.

IMAP is two way (Email synchronization) and may or may not be instant, I recently switched to IMAP because BlackBerry updated their BIS servers to utilize "IMAP Idle" for instant pushing of email using IMAP. Yay!
    As a potential BB user, I'm trying to figure out just how well IMAP *does* work with BIS. If I compose and send an email from my BB, does it show up in the 'sent' folder of my IMAP account? And if I compose an email on my PC and send it through my IMAP box, will the change in IMAP 'sent' folder be reflected on the BB after syncing? In other words, does BIS allow "real" IMAP, or just some subset thereof? Thanks!
    10-03-08 03:03 PM
    Please ignore my earlier post. MisterB (on another thread) answered my question: evidently everything works just as IMAP should w/the exception of mails getting marked as 'read'-- something I don't care about too much. So it looks like Curve, here I come!
    10-03-08 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD