So help me understand this please, on the newest version of the BB OS that's currently out, is there full 2 way sync support for Gmail on the native email client? I'm asking because I'm slowly being attracted to BB's and my main email account is Gmail, I've owned Android phones and currently using a Palm Pre Plus and email is crazy fast, it arrives near instantly on the phone and when I delete from the phone it's gone on the PC within a minute or 2. Is this how it works on BB's as well?
    Yes, it works just as fast from phone to PC, a bit slower from PC to phone. You do get contacts and calendar sync too and folders that you will find if you go to the gmail icon/inbox press menu and select filter, there you will find all your gmail folders. In them you will not find all your old emails, you will only get the new emails from this point on. However, there's is a remote search feature that lets you search your old emails from your phone.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well so feel free to ask questions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i_maq likes this.
    05-29-11 10:21 AM
    Yes, it works just as fast from phone to PC, a bit slower from PC to phone. You do get contacts and calendar sync too and folders that you will find if you go to the gmail icon/inbox press menu and select filter, there you will find all your gmail folders. In them you will not find all your old emails, you will only get the new emails from this point on. However, there's is a remote search feature that lets you search your old emails from your phone.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well so feel free to ask questions.

|Hey thanks, I think I get the picture. you mentioned not finding all my emails in folders on the phone, does it load them if I scroll to the last email locally stored on the phone, i.e. load next 50 emails from server? And Is there a way of speeding up the PC to phone process, i.e. manually refreshing the inbox on the phone?
    05-29-11 11:02 AM
    |Hey thanks, I think I get the picture. you mentioned not finding all my emails in folders on the phone, does it load them if I scroll to the last email locally stored on the phone, i.e. load next 50 emails from server? And Is there a way of speeding up the PC to phone process, i.e. manually refreshing the inbox on the phone?
    As far as I know you can't retrieve the older emails by scrolling, just by searching for them by sender or keyword etc. Also I don't know if there's a way of speeding pc to device sync but BB makes it very easy to mark emails as read, for every day in the email folder there's a date line that separates today's emails from yesterdays and so on, if you highlight that bar and press menu you will find the option to mark prior as read or delete prior. It's also very easy to select a few emails in one go by holding caps and scrolling up or down. If you mark emails unread on device that will sync to and with gmail you can also star emails, that will sync very fast too.

05-29-11 11:58 AM
    Hm ok, that clears it up, thanks a lot!
    05-29-11 12:01 PM
    They only outstrip BIS in some ways, in others they are still way behind. Sure, when it comes to Gmail android and Iphone probably are better but for other email accounts BIS is still the only one to offer instant push email for up to 10 accounts. Not everyone uses gmail.

Many people have emails provided by their ISP that can only be popped on a mobile device. In this case, you only get your email every 15 minutes on a Blackberry with ability to set the polling frequency.

On Android/iPhone, if you are popping your email from the mobile, you can set the polling frequency to every 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 hour, etc. You can also manually poll at any time between automated polling.

With Blackberry, you can set 1 POP email address up as push with the blackberry.net email address. The other 9 would poll every 15 minutes if they are POP accounts only.
    05-29-11 12:14 PM
    Dude, I'm not talking about Gmail, other email accounts, work accounts perhaps. And by the way, Gmail is full imap on blackberry too although it's handled a bit differently.

Taking up to 7 hours to sync is not full synchronization in my opinion.
    05-29-11 12:16 PM
    That's exactly my point, not everyone uses Gmail yet it would be possible to implement proper IMAP easily for those that don't.

Gmail in essence is the mail system of a competitor, Android, yet Blackberry pander to implementing Gmail IMAP properly but not ordinary IMAP.
    Exactly!!! Gmail is a competitors email system and Google makes sure the experience and functionality of their email is much better on their phones than on a Blackberry.

But the Gmail functionality and features are excellent on an iphone too, so it does not have to be this way on a Blackberry.
    05-29-11 12:18 PM
    Yeah but as opposed to Android or iphone those that don't use gmail get instant push email.
    I suppose you have to make a choice, you want folders you go Android or Iphone(even tho Logicmail does the same for blackberry), you want instant push you go blackberry.

Not true. A lot of ISP email accounts can only be popped on the Blackberry and in this case, you will only get your email every 15 minutes.

POP email is handled much better on Android/iphone as you can set the polling frequency.

If you have a Blackberry and you want push email, you have to use the blackberry.net email or get a Yahoo, Gmail or Live account.
    05-29-11 12:21 PM
    Not true. A lot of ISP email accounts can only be popped on the Blackberry and in this case, you will only get your email every 15 minutes.

POP email is handled much better on Android/iphone as you can set the polling frequency.

If you have a Blackberry and you want push email, you have to use the blackberry.net email or get a Yahoo, Gmail or Live account.
    Actually once your email account is set up on the blackberry using imap settings instead of pop3, no matter who the email provider is, the push becomes instant. Nobody else offers that.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 05-29-11 at 12:31 PM.
    05-29-11 12:28 PM
    Oh and even if it's 15 minutes polling it is done by the noc server not the handset, the email delivery is still push not pull by the handset. With Android and Iphone the device does all the polling killing battery and using data.

05-29-11 12:36 PM
    Hm ok, that clears it up, thanks a lot!
    One more thing, google does have a dedicated gmail app for blackberry.

http://m.google.com/mail?hl=en-GB&session=7487991934&dc=gorganic

05-29-11 12:40 PM
    Actually once your email account is set up on the blackberry using imap settings instead of pop3, no matter who the email provider is, the push becomes instant. Nobody else offers that.

If you send from the PC however then that message will never be sync'd to the Blackberry which is what full two way sync should be

Push is fantastic but BIS does restrict the functionality of IMAP
    05-29-11 01:50 PM
    If you send from the PC however then that message will never be sync'd to the Blackberry which is what full two way sync should be

I just tried it and it did sync, again, you have to go to filter and select sent mail folder, I just found the new email in there within seconds.

05-29-11 01:56 PM

When I send an email from my PC it does show up on my Blackberry.

05-29-11 01:57 PM
    Interestingly for a while I had two blackberrys with my gmail account set up on both and if I would send an email from one of them within seconds that would appear on the other blackberry too but in the main folder not the specific "sent mail" folder.
    This also worked with my imap work email account.

05-29-11 02:02 PM
    I just tried it and it did sync, again, you have to go to filter and select sent mail folder, I just found the new email in there within seconds.

When I send an email from my PC it does show up on my Blackberry.

Are you both using gmail though? My point is normal IMAP should be able to do this, not just gmail.

I have 2 1and1.co.uk accounts, both IMAP and none of the sent items from my PC ever show on my Blackberry. In the past I have used another host for my domains and none of those PC sent mails ever showed on the BB either.

That would be full two way IMAP support and that's what I'm after.
    05-29-11 02:04 PM
    Are you both using gmail though? My point is normal IMAP should be able to do this, not just gmail.

I have 2 1and1.co.uk accounts, both IMAP and none of the sent items from my PC ever show on my Blackberry. In the past I have used another host for my domains and none of those PC sent mails ever showed on the BB either.

Yes, I am on Gmail.

05-29-11 02:08 PM

Yeah, we were talking about gmail in particular. I use 1and1.co.uk too and I have it set up as imap, that made it instant, well 7 seconds, compared to having it set up as pop before. This account is only half imap, from device to PC.
    As a backup and for accessing my older emails/folders I use Logicmail.
    Works for me. I would def recommend this set up.

05-29-11 02:11 PM
    And that is my point. I have a personal and work domain so have no need for gmail. This choice should not hamper my email functionality on my phone as IMAP is IMAP irrespective of whether it is gmail, 1and1 or any other IMAP provider.

There is no reason that IMAP as a protocol cannot be fully implemented via BIS as the gmail implementation proves.

Other devices can and do offer fully implemented IMAP regadless of host

Thanks guys for your help, this isn't an issue we can solve sadly but a shortcoming RIM should address soon in BIS if it wants to continue as anything other than a corporate device for BES users.
    05-29-11 02:23 PM
    And that is my point. I have a personal and work domain so have no need for gmail. This choice should not hamper my email functionality on my phone as IMAP is IMAP irrespective of whether it is gmail, 1and1 or any other IMAP provider.

There is no reason that IMAP as a protocol cannot be fully implemented via BIS as the gmail implementation proves.

Other devices can and do offer fully implemented IMAP regadless of host

Thanks guys for your help, this isn't an issue we can solve sadly but a shortcoming RIM should address soon in BIS if it wants to continue as anything other than a corporate device for BES users.
    I know what you're saying but while other devices do implement full imap they don't provide push email with it, just pull. Besides, they way the others implement imap is the same as Logicmail app does it on blackberry. So either way, you're better off on blackberry platform as you can have both instant push and full imap.

05-29-11 04:01 PM
    Hi everyone, I am having a problem setting up company email accounts onto my 9780. I had the accounts working properly on my old 9700 but switched devices with the backup so my email accounts were transfered automatically and all I had to do was validate them.

But whenever it tried to validate my company email accounts (IMAP) it would say invalid password and would go through. I checked passwords, reset them, and even created a test email account to try to setup with no luck.

I contacted both the BB service provider in area and the webhosting company no one has been able to help me.

I set up my gmail and hotmail accounts without a problem, its just the company emails that wont work.

Please help me if you can.

Thanks,
    05-30-11 04:23 AM
    Hi everyone, I am having a problem setting up company email accounts onto my 9780. I had the accounts working properly on my old 9700 but switched devices with the backup so my email accounts were transfered automatically and all I had to do was validate them.

But whenever it tried to validate my company email accounts (IMAP) it would say invalid password and would go through. I checked passwords, reset them, and even created a test email account to try to setup with no luck.

I contacted both the BB service provider in area and the webhosting company no one has been able to help me.

I set up my gmail and hotmail accounts without a problem, its just the company emails that wont work.

Please help me if you can.

Thanks,
    Try deleting and starting fresh instead of trying to validate.
    05-30-11 04:33 AM
    Try deleting and starting fresh instead of trying to validate.
    I tried doing that as well, won't work for some reason.
    05-30-11 04:36 AM
    I tried doing that as well, won't work for some reason.
    Maybe a fresh OS install will help, worth a try.
    05-30-11 05:38 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD