when will RIM enable IMAP support? IMO this is a huge feature that should be added to BIS users ASAP. I understand that bes users have this feature but not everyone can be on a BES.
    05-25-11 02:57 PM
    BIS does support Imap, but it only works from device to server. It's kinda half Imap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-11 03:59 PM
    I guess RIM are protecting their own interests in crippling BIS they continue to make BES valuable.

Shame for us end BIS users
    05-25-11 04:36 PM
    I guess RIM are protecting their own interests in crippling BIS they continue to make BES valuable.

Shame for us end BIS users
    You do realize there's a free version of BES now if you need it.

05-25-11 04:59 PM
    You do realize there's a free version of BES now if you need it.

Yes but it's no use to me as I don't have exchange, I just have IMAP which could easily be sync'd properly if Blackberry didn't restrict BIS.
    05-26-11 08:35 AM
    Help me understand please. I know on my Blackberry I can not access my IMAP mail folders on AOL.

On my Apple iPhone it does my entire AOL account with all my folders available to use at my will. Is this "full IMAP"?

I would love to have this on my Blackberry.
    05-26-11 08:43 AM
    Help me understand please. I know on my Blackberry I can not access my IMAP mail folders on AOL.

On my Apple iPhone it does my entire AOL account with all my folders available to use at my will. Is this "full IMAP"?

I would love to have this on my Blackberry.
    If you really need the folders have a look at the Logicmail app, I use it for the rare occasions when bis email can't handle what I need.
    What I meant by imap is that you can set the email on your blackberry using the imap settings instead of pop3. This also makes the emails instant push and if you delete or read emails on you blackberry they will sync to your inbox.

05-26-11 08:51 AM
    Heaven has room for us all.

Thank you dear Lord!

05-26-11 12:39 PM
    Ooops wrong thread!

05-26-11 12:41 PM
    If you really need the folders have a look at the Logicmail app, I use it for the rare occasions when bis email can't handle what I need.
    What I meant by imap is that you can set the email on your blackberry using the imap settings instead of pop3. This also makes the emails instant push and if you delete or read emails on you blackberry they will sync to your inbox.

IMAP on a Berry would be wonderful.

My Android/iphone has IMAP and I find it saves a lot of time. I can read, delete, archive or label emails on the Android/iphone and have it synced perfectly with my PC.

On my Berry (I am on BIS), I read my emails only to have them appear again on my PC. A duplication of efforts.

You can label and archive from the Berry, but the process is not as effortless on other phones. Also, the syncing, when it does happen, takes hours.

Hopefully, IMAP is supported on the next version of BB OS.
    05-26-11 01:59 PM
    Dude, did you even read my post, you can set your email up using the imap settings instead of pop3 and your deleted and read emails on the blackberry will by synced to PC.
    Even better, BIS seems to detect the imap settings automatically now.
    If you want full imap, same as on androi, you can download the free email app called Logicmail.

05-26-11 02:10 PM
    Satisfied?
    05-26-11 02:19 PM
    Dude, did you even read my post, you can set your email up using the imap settings instead of pop3 and your deleted and read emails on the blackberry will by synced to PC.
    Even better, BIS seems to detect the imap settings automatically now.
    If you want full imap, same as on androi, you can download the free email app called Logicmail.

Yes, I have partial IMAP set up and yes, it syncs from my Berry to the PC. Syncing from the PC to the Berry though is another story. I find the sync from the PC to the Berry (i.e. delete an email on the PC and have the email deleted on the Berry) takes anywhere from 1 to 7 hours.

On Android/iphone, this happens in minutes or less.

I have used Logicmail on my Bold 9000. If I remember the GUI was a little plain and I think it did not access the Berry address book. I will give it another try. Thanks for the suggestion.

I used Logicmail because I was using 2 blackberries and if I swapped SIM cards, I had to transfer the accounts over which was a pain. Logicmail allowed me to pop in a SIM card and get my emails with no hassle.

I was using an old Berry for sports and did not want to damage or break my work berry.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 05-26-11 at 02:23 PM.
    05-26-11 02:19 PM
    Logicmail has improved a lot.

05-26-11 02:24 PM
    Logicmail has improved a lot.

Just checking it out. Looks good. They should make an app for the PB.
    05-26-11 02:25 PM
    Satisfied?
    That thumbnail shows it's set up for imap much the same as mine are but the BIS platform doesn't offer two way sync for imap which is a downfall.

And the annoying thing is that there is no reason that it is this way. The technology exists that imap can work on a true two way sync but Blackberry just don't implement it, except with the Android competitor's Gmail.

Frustrating
    05-27-11 05:55 AM
    That thumbnail shows it's set up for imap much the same as mine are but the BIS platform doesn't offer two way sync for imap which is a downfall.

And the annoying thing is that there is no reason that it is this way. The technology exists that imap can work on a true two way sync but Blackberry just don't implement it, except with the Android competitor's Gmail.

Frustrating
    True but, what it does offer is one way sync from device to PC which is more important and also, unlike any other platform it does offer instant push email without the need for exchange or anything else right out of the box as soon as you leave the phone shop.
    The alternative is an imap email client like Logicmail.

I doubt Rim will ever implement a full imap trough BIS, the strain on the NOC would be enormous. Don't forget any imap client on the other platforms are not instant push, they sync every 5, 10, 15 etc minutes killing your battery and data plan.

05-27-11 07:16 AM
    True but, what it does offer is one way sync from device to PC which is more important and also, unlike any other platform it does offer instant push email without the need for exchange or anything else right out of the box as soon as you leave the phone shop.

I doubt Rim will ever implement a full imap trough BIS, the strain on the NOC would be enormous. Don't forget any imap client on the other platforms are not instant push, they sync every 5, 10, 15 etc minutes killing your battery and data plan.

Not true. Gmail on Android and iphone is IMAP, is push and has full 2 way synchronization.

RIM needs to come out with an email client that can connect direct to an IMAP server.
    05-27-11 12:17 PM
    Not true. Gmail on Android and iphone is IMAP, is push and has full 2 way synchronization.

RIM needs to come out with an email client that can connect direct to an IMAP server.
    Dude, I'm not talking about Gmail, other email accounts, work accounts perhaps. And by the way, Gmail is full imap on blackberry too although it's handled a bit differently.

05-27-11 01:03 PM
    Go to your gmail inbox on your blackberry, press menu, select filter and see all your imap folders there and you can remote search for older emails.

05-27-11 01:05 PM

If RIM are happy to sell just business devices with the occasional consumer purchase then their strategy is fine however considering Android and iPhone now can outstrip the BIS capabilities they need to move BIS forward with the times if they want to even catch up to (never mind keep pace with) their competitors. Simple business really.
    05-28-11 09:55 AM
    If RIM are happy to sell just business devices with the occasional consumer purchase then their strategy is fine however considering Android and iPhone now can outstrip the BIS capabilities they need to move BIS forward with the times if they want to even catch up to (never mind keep pace with) their competitors. Simple business really.
    They only outstrip BIS in some ways, in others they are still way behind. Sure, when it comes to Gmail android and Iphone probably are better but for other email accounts BIS is still the only one to offer instant push email for up to 10 accounts. Not everyone uses gmail.

05-28-11 10:29 AM
    Not everyone uses gmail.
    That's exactly my point, not everyone uses Gmail yet it would be possible to implement proper IMAP easily for those that don't.

Gmail in essence is the mail system of a competitor, Android, yet Blackberry pander to implementing Gmail IMAP properly but not ordinary IMAP.
    05-29-11 05:54 AM
    That's exactly my point, not everyone uses Gmail yet it would be possible to implement proper IMAP easily for those that don't.

Gmail in essence is the mail system of a competitor, Android, yet Blackberry pander to implementing Gmail IMAP properly but not ordinary IMAP.
    Yeah but as opposed to Android or iphone those that don't use gmail get instant push email.
    I suppose you have to make a choice, you want folders you go Android or Iphone(even tho Logicmail does the same for blackberry), you want instant push you go blackberry.

05-29-11 06:14 AM
    So help me understand this please, on the newest version of the BB OS that's currently out, is there full 2 way sync support for Gmail on the native email client? I'm asking because I'm slowly being attracted to BB's and my main email account is Gmail, I've owned Android phones and currently using a Palm Pre Plus and email is crazy fast, it arrives near instantly on the phone and when I delete from the phone it's gone on the PC within a minute or 2. Is this how it works on BB's as well?
    05-29-11 07:04 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD