I am currently an iPhone 7 Plus Rose Gold owner (32 GB). I have been a tech enthusiast for quite some time now, but I'm also the one that never gets on the new trend right away.

I have used iOS off and on for almost 8 years. I have kept coming back due to it being the most consistent and app available platform out there over the years (My main choice was Windows Phone but too many workarounds in the end for me). iOS has access to all services provided by the competition so logically (in my mind), it's best to just dive all in. And I'm also vested in iMessage and Facetime.

But I have this strong nostalgic need to experiment the competition. I know I've made a couple of topics of buying a Keyone/Key2, but if I'm honest with myself, if it's not my main device it's more than likely going to get ignored. So while I want to drop the money for either device, I'm not entirely sure of giving up iOS as my main phone

But I do own an iPad with cellular data (a current gen iPad 9.7). And honestly, it doesn't get used a lot. So I wouldn't completely lose iOS but it wouldn't be on the go and my main driver.

So I'm in a pickle: I want to love my phone again like I used to. I was always switching devices and platforms but I think now with age I'm less likely to take the leap because I want to be comfortable.

I'm not an app person, but I do use social media. And I know with iOS, they usually get things first so it's sometimes neat to try out a trend even if it's for a day. Lately I'm all about group texting my friends (who are also iOS users), spending a small amount of time catching up with folks on social media, but lately I've been really organizing my personal finances and picking up more responsibilities at my first and second jobs. I'm able to be productive on my iPhone, but I get a little lazy and dread thinking about composing things on an all touch screen, even with google keyboard swipe (having to go back and correct is the main thing)

Sorry for the long post. This was more of a vent than trying to find a solution, but I'll listen to comments from everyone
    07-12-18 10:12 AM
    If you are using iOS and your friends all use iOS... not sure how well you'll like moving on to a non-iOS device. Many that I know that switched from an iPhone to something else.... they end up switching back. Usually they found that feature of iMessage that they taught was normal text messaging were something they couldn't do without. That and FaceTime, Finding an iPhone friends location... If most your friends have iPhones, there are advantages to having one too.

If you don't think that's the case for you, get a KEYtwo... which is a great productivity tool.
    cckgz4 and hplovecraft like this.
    07-12-18 10:47 AM
    Try an iPhone X. Maybe the new gestures based WoW will appeal you without leaving iOS.
    If you want to experiment, Key2 is a good device to make a radical change: android vs iOS, pkb vs vkb and a different approach to messaging. Maybe too radical...
    cckgz4 likes this.
    07-12-18 10:52 AM
    It's not your fault. In 2018 phones are boring. No one has come up with a "killer app" for phones since email, IMO.

Sure there are 100s of thousands of apps, but almost all of them just replace some other method.

Let me amend that, slightly. The killer app for phones is taking and sharing photos and videos. I didn't consider it because I absolutely couldn't care less personally. But for many people, that's the one thing they can do on their phone that is better than any other alternative.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    eiruvrav, Qorax, cckgz4 and 2 others like this.
    07-12-18 11:17 AM
    Yeah I also feel that lack of iMessage and Facetime will draw me back to iOS, but I'm also thinking that if there's lack of access, I can use my iPad more because as of now, I use it maybe once every 3-4 days.
    07-12-18 12:33 PM
    My wife has all our kids (grown) and her parents connected so she can see where they are at any time... in a way that's cool. She hates that she can't do the same for me, which is a way is cool also....

But in reality it would cut down on a lot of the where are you or how much longer will you be text messages...
    cckgz4 likes this.
    07-12-18 01:54 PM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    If you are using iOS and your friends all use iOS... not sure how well you'll like moving on to a non-iOS device. Many that I know that switched from an iPhone to something else.... they end up switching back. Usually they found that feature of iMessage that they taught was normal text messaging were something they couldn't do without. That and FaceTime, Finding an iPhone friends location... If most your friends have iPhones, there are advantages to having one too.

If you don't think that's the case for you, get a KEYtwo... which is a great productivity tool.
    Reminds me of my five years in tokyo.. several expressed how much they were tired of iphone or didn't like it.. but they just stayed with em anyway... fear of change in all aspects of life for many is why they stay/remain in their "comfort zone".... being locked in...

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    07-12-18 03:28 PM
    Reminds me of my five years in tokyo.. several expressed how much they were tired of iphone or didn't like it.. but they just stayed with em anyway... fear of change in all aspects of life for many is why they stay/remain in their "comfort zone".... being locked in...

Posted via CB10
    Fear of change... or fear of being left out. Apple has one of the best customer satisfaction levels... don't think that's due to any real desire for change.

And sales, even in Japan seem to be doing pretty good.

Fear of Change better describes those BBOS and BB10 users that can't seem to let go. Would rather hold onto a less capable devices then have to learn something new... maybe it suites their needs well enough. Screens and Cameras and Batteries have come a long way from even the Passport days.
    pdr733 likes this.
    07-12-18 03:54 PM
    Fear of change... or fear of being left out. Apple has one of the best customer satisfaction levels... don't think that's due to any real desire for change.

Fear of Change better describes those BBOS and BB10 users that can't seem to let go. Would rather hold onto a less capable devices then have to learn something new... maybe it suites their needs well enough. Screens and Cameras and Batteries have come a long way from even the Passport days.
    Meh. The characterization of BB10 holdouts as people who refuse to learn something new is a tired cliche. I've learned iOS and Android and still carry my BB10 phone because it's flat out better for the tasks I perform for a living.

I enjoy learning new systems. During the last two years I've learned six major software systems for supply chain management, machine learning, data mining and network design.

Learning Android and iOS was fun. It's using them that I don't like!

cckgz4, bh7171, Tim-ANC and 1 others like this.
    07-12-18 05:56 PM
    and still carry my BB10 phone because it's flat out better for the tasks I perform for a living
    Well opined.
    07-12-18 07:10 PM
    If you have smartphone trend fatigue (which I DEFINITELY do) then looking into a KEYone/KEY2 might be a nice option, of course if you value clicking on real keys. You could also just keep all your iOS devices and even use your other device to hot-spot them if needed. I don't know why many look at iMessage as the holy grail of messaging... WhatsApp is pretty damn complete for a cross platform messaging tool. I am obviously a fairly biased towards BB, but have just started last year when I left my S7 (and never looked back). I saw where the trend was going, I saw the stagnation of design, I saw the same boring annualization (or even semesterization with OnePlus) and just instantly got tired of it all.
    And that's when I saw the light, of the BlackBerry KEYone. (I stole that line from here )

And if future KEY devices bring IP rating and OLED, I won't even gaze at other phones. BB/BBMo just makes the experience enjoyable. I wish them success so they can keep building quality phones and more importantly the BB brand recognition. I despise the other brands that all jump on the same design bandwagon. Saturation it sure is.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    07-13-18 03:45 AM
    Maybe just be satisfied with what you have, and let go of your need to compare your gadgets with everyone else’s (or whatever new bauble was just released). Does your current phone do the things you need and want to do? If so, why be unsatified? Be content with what you have, until you are truly compelled to make a change, either by necessity or a strong desire for a specific new phone.
    bh7171 likes this.
    07-13-18 05:48 AM
    Maybe you are really bored and should fine some more fulfilling hobby. Phone is in fact nothing more than a peace of metal and plastic, they get old sooner than you even get to buy it. In fact they help us to stay in touch with our contacts, they manage us through some agenda etc.

However, it's still only a mixture of a pager, phone, camera, etc. You can have the best camera in the world, but the thing itself doesn't make you a passionate photographer. You can have the best social media apps but unless you have great friends, you won't use them too much etc.

To me I think that smartphones are not worth anything like "love" etc. They are just the things. You might like the technology but having it as a main hobby in my opinion leads nowhere. It can't be a hobby at all. It's wayy to empty and valueless to be a hobby.

Just get what you like. I am pretty sure you'll understand what I wanted to say. GL my friend.
    bh7171 likes this.
    07-13-18 06:41 AM
    Maybe just be satisfied with what you have, and let go of your need to compare your gadgets with everyone else’s (or whatever new bauble was just released). Does your current phone do the things you need and want to do? If so, why be unsatified? Be content with what you have, until you are truly compelled to make a change, either by necessity or a strong desire for a specific new phone.
    I'm not comparing anything. I've been a tech enthusiast since 2005. And up until three years ago, I was always switching phones to find the phone that had the right feel
    07-13-18 12:57 PM
    Maybe you are really bored and should fine some more fulfilling hobby. Phone is in fact nothing more than a peace of metal and plastic, they get old sooner than you even get to buy it. In fact they help us to stay in touch with our contacts, they manage us through some agenda etc.

However, it's still only a mixture of a pager, phone, camera, etc. You can have the best camera in the world, but the thing itself doesn't make you a passionate photographer. You can have the best social media apps but unless you have great friends, you won't use them too much etc.

To me I think that smartphones are not worth anything like "love" etc. They are just the things. You might like the technology but having it as a main hobby in my opinion leads nowhere. It can't be a hobby at all. It's wayy to empty and valueless to be a hobby.

Just get what you like. I am pretty sure you'll understand what I wanted to say. GL my friend.
    Thank you but it can be a hobby which can also turn into a big win for people who have made it from doing things such as reviews. My interest is in the latest and greatest, but my money doesn't follow. I choose when necessary, rarely out of want
    07-13-18 06:40 PM
    Meh. The characterization of BB10 holdouts as people who refuse to learn something new is a tired cliche. I've learned iOS and Android and still carry my BB10 phone because it's flat out better for the tasks I perform for a living.

I enjoy learning new systems. During the last two years I've learned six major software systems for supply chain management, machine learning, data mining and network design.

Learning Android and iOS was fun. It's using them that I don't like!

Great answer.
    And why would I spend $1,000 on a fashion item that gets inferior reception, and having to fret about not dropping the delicate thing when my already paid for bb is working perfectly fine.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    07-14-18 06:38 PM
    I've come from the Google pixel 2XL and I do get your dilemma. I'm writing this on the key2 and I can say quite comfortably that this phone has reinvented my enthusiasm. my pixel is an epic phone that is capable of very many things but so was my last android device and the one before that. I've gone from one phone to another, trying to get the latest model each time so I can then install a launcher and make it as close as dammit to my last phone. that stopped with this phoned, sort of. OK so I installed a launcher but it's a very nice one. I have made the phone very
    personal to me and with this key board and those shortcuts I can say it's reinvented my love for phones. this thing is so customisable, you can literally make it unique in it's ability to get you where you need to go. the shortcuts are brilliant, the speed key awesome. the speed dial is so good and the microphone has already been mentioned to me a few times. calls have never been so clear. take a chance. it's not the best out there but it's just different enough that's it's not another boring smartphone.
    cckgz4 and the_boon like this.
    07-15-18 05:53 PM
    Just buy all the KEYone and key2s possible brand new bruh. You can always be loyal to ios as well.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    07-17-18 08:38 AM
    I've come from the Google pixel 2XL and I do get your dilemma. I'm writing this on the key2 and I can say quite comfortably that this phone has reinvented my enthusiasm. my pixel is an epic phone that is capable of very many things but so was my last android device and the one before that. I've gone from one phone to another, trying to get the latest model each time so I can then install a launcher and make it as close as dammit to my last phone. that stopped with this phoned, sort of. OK so I installed a launcher but it's a very nice one. I have made the phone very
    personal to me and with this key board and those shortcuts I can say it's reinvented my love for phones. this thing is so customisable, you can literally make it unique in it's ability to get you where you need to go. the shortcuts are brilliant, the speed key awesome. the speed dial is so good and the microphone has already been mentioned to me a few times. calls have never been so clear. take a chance. it's not the best out there but it's just different enough that's it's not another boring smartphone.
    Thank you!! I may be pulling the trigger on the Keyone or a Moto Z with the hopes of the moto mod keyboard coming soon. We will see
    07-20-18 12:34 PM
    I don’t think it’s really “fear of change” as much as “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. I used to play around with all sorts of mobile devices. I had multiple Psions and would add new ROMs to devices (might have been Windows CE but I’m not sure). And of course multiple BBs starting with the old email only ones. But I don’t have to do any of that stuff with either iOS or Android. They do a lot more than the old devices and I don’t have to mess with them. Maybe it’s because I’m older now, but I’m happy not messing with them and doing what I need to do wherever I am.
    07-20-18 01:11 PM
    Change for the better is good. Change for the worse is stupid. Pretty simple rationale, really.

My particular use case devotes about twice as much device time to typing than it takes me to read. As such, I personally prioritize typing over reading. Which is why I'm typing this on a 7 year old 9900. Simply because I'm faster typing on it than my Q, Z, Z30, PP, Classic, D60, K1 or K2. The only fear involved is the fear of stupidity. As in stupidly abandoning capability I value in exchange for capability I don't value.

Best solution, for me, is to dual carry. 9900 primary takes care of heavy typing. Giants like K1 tag along to fill in the gaps. Provides the best features of both platforms while suffering the handicaps of neither. Win-win is smart. I like win-win. Lol.

OP might find advantages to dual carrying more differentiated platforms??
    cckgz4 likes this.
    07-26-18 11:30 AM
    So I have come to the conclusion I am going to dual carry.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-30-18 01:32 AM
    After doing some additional searching, I saw that Samsung has been making keyboard covers since the note 5 / Galaxy S6. I love the keyone and keytwo but they are priced a little too high for my liking as this will be a support phone to take away some of the traffic I'm getting on my personal phone, and to also take away some anxiety with having to multi-task and respond to so many things with a all screen device. So I am going to go for the Note 5 with the Samsung Keyboard cover sometime in the next couple of months.
    09-07-18 12:07 PM
    After doing some additional searching, I saw that Samsung has been making keyboard covers since the note 5 / Galaxy S6. I love the keyone and keytwo but they are priced a little too high for my liking as this will be a support phone to take away some of the traffic I'm getting on my personal phone, and to also take away some anxiety with having to multi-task and respond to so many things with a all screen device. So I am going to go for the Note 5 with the Samsung Keyboard cover sometime in the next couple of months.
    Used KEYones are getting pretty cheap. Much better typing experience than those half baked keyboard covers
    09-09-18 01:24 AM

I somewhat disagree. Many legacy users have very limited uses. Some just use mail and texting with a smattering of browsing. They will click away on their PKB until the device breaks or they can not find a new battery.

CrackBerry posters may not present an accurate portrait of the typical legacy owner. I suspect that many are older and frugal or live in developing countries . Both groups rely on cheap data plans.

This is not to invalidate users like Steve and BBadopter but IMO they are probably atypical . People suggest that businesses or government still use legacy devices but there is scant evidence that this is true .

I am still amazed that the Manchester police purchased 6300 Leaps in early 2016. I wonder if they are still in service.

Perhaps the future of BB10 is to power a BlackBerry Secure no apps 9900. Low cost device.

I wonder about about the future of the BlackBerry Suite of apps etc. I just can not see BlackBerry putting in enough resources to support the platform and TCL etc can not recoup the additional fees through sales. I think the future is going to be the encryption signing process only.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-09-18 at 09:22 AM.
    pdr733 likes this.
    09-09-18 08:38 AM
34 12