So. Recently I talked my girlfriend into getting a blackberry. She's on verizon and I'm on ATT. We planned on using bb messenger to text and dump the expensive SMS plans. When I called both service providers and asked about this (I'm, not bb messenger specifically) they said IM, like AIM, uses SMS?? Has anyone else heard of this? I'm that bb messenger soes not use SMS, right?

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 09:39 AM
    Im does not use sms because it is a data feature and goes through bis .. Whoever told you im uses sms needs to go thru their training program a couple more times

06-18-09 09:42 AM
    That's what I thought too, but at least on ATT this was second level tech support. I wonder if the difference is whether you use a third party IM client or the one provided by ATT/Verizon?

06-18-09 09:47 AM
    Yeah maybe their specific programs use sms as a means to send messages, but bb messenger, windows live messenger, yahoo messenger etc etc those use data for sure

06-18-09 09:52 AM
    I'm sure they use data, I just wouldn't put it past them to charge you for SMS as well...

06-18-09 09:53 AM
    Yeah me neither, I mean they'd might as well charge me for what I'm posting right here, I'm not using bbm.. So I must be texting..
    Luckily in america there's no charge for incoming texts, over in canada we get charged 15 cents per incoming if we don't have a texting plan. Now that's fair!

06-18-09 10:00 AM
    We get charged for incoming texts here too

06-18-09 10:20 AM
    I believe it's the UK that doesn't get charged for incoming SMS

06-18-09 10:21 AM
    The aim app you can download from the app store uses text messages i believe.
    06-18-09 12:25 PM
    Most carriers I've been with outside the US do not charge for incoming text.

06-18-09 11:44 PM
    Beejive uses SMS also so watch out. I think all those companies are in bed with eachother helping one another make money. I have unlimited sms and sent about 300 text last month (most friends r on bbm) but my bill stated 12,700 sms, and that's thanks to Beejive since I am on aim more than a teenage girl on a sidekick...

06-19-09 12:40 AM
    Beejive uses SMS also so watch out.
    No it doesn't, I have beejive.

From the website:
    Uses your existing data plan:
    No SMS charges.

It even uses wifi.
    06-19-09 12:54 AM
    No it doesn't, I have beejive.

From the website:
    Uses your existing data plan:
    No SMS charges.

It even uses wifi.
    That dosnt explain the extra 12,400 text on my bill or how the detailed billing info showed each "AIM" message.

06-19-09 06:48 AM
    AIM does not charge you texts i am using aim constantly and am not charged
    06-19-09 08:52 AM
    I use Windows Live Messenger on my BB and it definatley uses the data!
    06-19-09 08:53 AM
    if you search the forums, specially the 83xx forums, people there will say no IM from apps like AIM, YAHOO, and such do not get charged sms and such but only data
    06-19-09 09:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD